Friendly Lexington beggar is a fraud

Gary Thompson has a mental disability and is confined to a wheelchair — at least that’s what he wants you to believe when he’s begging for money.  In reality, Thompson is a fraud, raking in $60,000-$100,000 per year (so he says) by panhandling in Lexington.

The friendly, recognizable face from some of Lexington’s most popular shopping centers was exposed this week for his money-making scam, but that doesn’t mean he’s slowing down.  Thompson told LEX 18’s Kristen Pflum he’s “the best” at what he does and plans to continue doing it as long as he’s making money.

The maximum penalty for begging is only ten days in jail, so the only way to really stop Thompson from profiting off the generous people who believe his story is to get the real story out there.  Even then, he’ll likely just move on to the next city and prey on the next bunch of oblivious good Samaritans.

Article written by Drew Franklin

142 Comments for Friendly Lexington beggar is a fraud

1. Ryan Lemond
    1:33 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

this is why i usually beat up beggars.

2. RealCatsFan
    1:35 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

People who take advantage of the charity of others are among the lowest form of life, right up (down) there with child molesters, rapists, and internet trolls.

3. awesome
    1:35 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I hope somebody slaps the sh!t outta him.

4. Laker Cat 18
    1:35 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Pathetic way to live life right there.

5. OneAndDone
    1:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

If you see this guy, please spill a drink on him, to at least make him cold/uncomfortable while he is stealing from people. Makes me sick. He is making more than the poor people he is deceiving…

6. Laker Cat 18
    1:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m going to go ahead and predict this will be one of the largest comment sections in KSR history. People should have a lot to say about this.

7. Good Sam
    1:37 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Maybe we can help ol Gary’s story out and make him handicap FOR REAL.

8. F'real
    1:38 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Somebody needs to beat that A$$ and put him in a wheelchair.

9. SexnNursinHomes
    1:38 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I actually respect this guy, even though he is a total POS. Gets caught, says eff u and will keep doing it. That’s admirable.

What I don’t understand is that he doesn’t even look homeless. Who are the morons giving this guy money???

10. Eric
    1:39 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Karma is a bitch. Just hope I’m there to see it raise it’s ugly head.

11. UK Fan
    1:40 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Someone stick the IRS on this guy for unreported income. That should take care of him

12. jka14
    1:41 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I thought for sure they would say he was from Indiana. Sure looks like a HOOsier…

13. Matt
    1:42 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I always refuse to give beggars cash but I will offer to buy them a meal if a restaraunt is near enough. That helps to weed out the guys like this that are fake or just want drug money and still helps feed the ones who are actually hungry. Never give them cash.

14. Dumbledore
    1:48 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I thought he was a real straight shooter.

15. me
    1:49 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

He stopped me at the grocery store last month. His “act” is to baby talk. I could tell he was faking, and I am not good at that sort of thing. Got burned a couple years ago trying to help someone, and ever since then, my policy is this: If you ask me for money, I will assume you are a con artist and tell you no. If I see a need I can meet, I will initiate the process.

16. bigcat76
    1:53 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

What’s the penalty for tax evasion?

17. RealCatsFan
    1:53 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

9, his gig is to pretend that he is mentally disabled, not necessarily homeless.

There was an asshole like this in Louisville years ago. Guy would stand at an off-ramp with a sign saying homeless and hungry, etc. One of the local TV stations followed him, and filmed him getting into a brand new SUV. The thing that gets me is the total lack of PRIDE that these people have for themselves.

18. Mudcat
    1:55 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Tax evasion carries a must tougher penalty.

19. James
    1:56 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This guy is an ass and deserves bad things, but what does this have to do with Kentucky athletics? Is Drew the new “Trouble Shooter” for KSR?

20. Smart
    1:57 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Why would anyone give homeless people money? They suck at using money. Give it to organizations that help homeless.

21. Cat89
    1:57 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Clearly he doesn’t believe he has an eternal soul. Sad, sad man.

22. UK Fan
    2:00 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Read Sherlock Holmes in “The Man With the Twisted Lip” about a country gentleman who lives a double life as a professional beggar.

“It seems that the beggar, Mr. St. Clair has been leading a double life, one of respectability, and the other as a beggar. In his youth, he had been an actor before becoming a newspaper reporter. In order to research an article, he had disguised himself as a beggar for a short time, during which he earned a very large amount of money. Later in his life, he returned to the street to beg for several days in order to pay a large debt. Given a choice between his newspaper salary and his high beggar earnings, he eventually became a professional beggar. His takings were large enough that he was able to establish himself as a country gentleman, marry well, and begin a respectable family. His wife never knew what he did for a living.”

Anothe case of life imitating fiction.

23. Gary
    2:02 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

How can this piece of human excrement not be charged with theft by deception? Get his ass off the street. If i ever saw him I’d stand close and tell people he’s the fraud he is. A judge should make him wear a sign saying he’s a piss-ant.

24. bleedblueky
    2:02 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

WHAT A JERK πŸ™

25. Probably
    2:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

He probably sits on the NCAA Selection Committee when he isn’t doing anything else.

26. bigcat76
    2:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

How many people do you know that don’t take pride in their work? A Boat load!!! This guy is a POS but he’s less fake about it than 1/2 the people you work with, and lets not even get started on the ones at home getting hand outs.

27. Randy Watson
    2:05 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Off with his pecker!!

28. Cat89
    2:05 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I have a sister with Cerebral palsy and a nephew with multiple disabilities including those of the mental variety. He has undergone over 80 surgeries and his parents have enormous medical debt they will likely never get out from under. The callousness of this man’s actions hit close to home for me. They sure could use some of that 60-100K this guy is fleecing. I would love for Gary Thompson to look my nephew in the face and defend faking a disability for money. My nephew would gladly pay any amount of money to have Mr. Thompson’s mental and physical abilities. Shame on you sir.

29. stxcat
    2:07 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

How is this guy any different from those that live off the taxpayers??? You at least have the option to give him money, you don’t with those who live off the taxpayers!!

30. bluristhurr
    2:10 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I don’t see how asking for money is illegal. Yea what he is doing isn’t morally right but church’s do it. I guess if you do it for “GOD” it’s ok. Like the preacher lady on stiffing a tip “I give 10 percent to god”. Yea, I bet you do because its going right back to you in some form of fashion. Anybody ever notice “God” is “Dog” backwards lol. Seen that on Robot chicken last night!

31. josh
    2:12 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

the thing is this SOB doesnt pay taxes but he gets to vote. People that dont pay taxes shouldnt be allowed to vote. Thats why we are in the situation we are in.

32. John Madden
    2:12 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

29 – Federally sanctioned therefore morally acceptable. Duh.

33. SexnNursinHomes
    2:13 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

17- Yeah my bad. I was getting the lies mixed up. But it’s easy to mistake someone’s fake mental illness for someone being fake homeless.

34. jq
    2:13 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Hey much to your dismay, he is a CAPITALIST/ENTREPENUER in the truest sense!

35. Al Purnell here....It's GOOOOOOD
    2:14 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m lke 13, I never give money, I was asked to give a couple of bucks to a kid that was holding a 1 gallon gas an becaue he said he had to go pick up his kid and was outta gas….I told him to give me his can and I’ll bring it full of gas, he handed it to me then snatched it out of my hand and ran away

36. John Madden
    2:14 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

30 – Really? the first time that you’ve noticed ‘God’ is ‘dog’ spelled backwards was last night? Robot Chicken’s legit, though.

37. JoeMoney333
    2:15 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

The worst part of a guy like this is it allows ignorance to flourish. People will look at this person, who is a taking advantage of good people, and use it to judge anyone who has fallen on hard times. People will use this as an example to ‘justify’ their illogical views of “1/2 the people on welfare are just riding the system”, “All ppl ‘living off taxpayers’ are horrible people.”

38. JoeMoney333
    2:16 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Also 30. You’re point on god and dog maybe the most unintelligent thing I’ve read all day, and I read the Bachelor diary comment section.

39. BennyHanna
    2:17 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I bought this guy a fried chicken dinner from Kroger and I’ve also seen him at Penn Station and other places trying to get money for a hotel and telling me his grandma died and he was all alone. Made me feel bad for him and I would help anybody if i could but that goes to show you why people dispise panhandlers and I’ll be suspicious of helping anybody else again. He said you know” the fried chicken with the b, ba, biscuit! Which is kind of funny but makes me mad and want to see him again so bad so I can roll his ass down a big hill and then take all of his money.
    Fried chicken with the ba-ba biscuit!

40. I guess he'll be in Austin TX next...
    2:17 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Every freaking major intersection in Austin is filled with these panhandlers. I always question whether or not they’re really homeless or hungry. I’ll give them a bottle of water or protein bars sometimes but never cash..
    Best sign I’ve seen one holding said, “My wife and dog were kidnapped. I want that damn dog back!!” I chuckled but still didn’t offer him anything…

41. New Testament Quoter
    2:17 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I will say this, the guy is a hard worker. A lot of thieves and con men are lazy and avoid work, but this guy has a strong work ethic, some guts, some creativity, and is a real go-getter. All of those qualities are praiseworthy and to be emulated, even COMMENDED, as Jesus did in Luke 16:8:

“And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.”

Of course, he is a thief and a criminal. I’m just pointing out the positives.

42. Al's IndiCats
    2:18 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

LMAO 33, Hell I would’ve thought you smack him on his ass then flip him over and have your way with him ha ha ha ha

43. yoyoyoyooo
    2:18 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

how is this not already a youtube sensation?

44. uk3kJ
    2:19 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This is disgusting. This is one of those things that when you see it you lose a little more hope for humanity.

Anyone who has family with REAL disabilities knows that it is something that is challenging each day and when some scum like this guy uses it to con generous people he makes a mockery of anyone with disabilities.

45. BennyHanna
    2:19 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Me likes fried chicken

46. Laker Cat 18
    2:20 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

30. It’s about deception. Do you know of a church who deceives people into giving them money? My church puts on fundraisers such as chili suppers, auctions, and yard sales to raise funds for the bills to be paid for the church house. The dude lies about having a mental disability to con people into giving him cash. What part of that is ok to you?

47. PatPattersonISwalkingthruthatdoor
    2:21 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Only one thing to do with guys like this: castration with rusty bottle caps.

48. JoeMoney333
    2:21 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Let it go 46. people like 30. can’t be reasoned with by logical arguments over the internet.

49. Ebenezer Scrooge
    2:23 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

29, yea, they should all just die, and decrease the surplus population.

50. Reality Check
    2:23 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

10 days in jail for begging, but if I kick him into next week, I’ll get about 90 days in jail.
    Hope this dumba$$ gets robbed of all his ill gotten gains.

51. John
    2:23 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

If he can make a living doin that, good for him.
    Any of us could have chose to do that.
    You don’t have to give him anything. He’s just workin.

52. Laker Cat 18
    2:24 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

48. I debated even responding, but I had to make an effort. WWJD?

53. Laker Cat 18
    2:25 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

40. Ironically, if you watch the full interview, he says he actually is from Austin, Texas.

54. SexnNursinHomes
    2:26 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

42- Give me some time Al….

46- Actually churches do it all the time. Especially the smaller ones. The latest being the woman who jipped an Applebees server..Which is now causing an open investigation into her so-called church.

47- Yes, my man loves Tetanus as a weapon.. Woot woot!!

55. MadTex
    2:27 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

He is trying to raise funds for Jerry Sandusky’s legal defense on the retrial…..

56. Name (required)
    2:28 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I’ve never seen him in Austin but rest assure if I do he’ll remember who I am. I hope this hits the national news and he never has a chance to work in any city again

57. NoelGallagher
    2:29 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I’ll give him a dollar for his good impression.

58. Laker Cat 18
    2:32 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

54. Did the woman actually deceive the server or are you just associating a bad customer to a pastor of a church? There are occasional bad apples in churches, but there are a lot more good people.

59. RealCatsFan
    2:35 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

19, they posted it here because he hangs around the downtown area, and there were concerns that he might try to hit up fans leaving or going to the game.

You know, if a guy has had a couple beers before the games and really needs to pee afterwards, some have been known to sneak into an alley and find a fence post. This guy might just resemble a fence post after said beers…

60. Douggercats
    2:35 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Ryan Lemond can’t stand this guy.

61. yarpi
    2:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

All that we need to do is notify the IRS of this low-life and he’ll cease to exist

62. SexnNursinHomes
    2:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

59- Well, because she was a bad customer, and it has now lead to her being investigated for tax fraud.

from Forbes.com

63. me
    2:37 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

People should e-mail this story around so it can get picked up by the national news outlets

64. MustacheMan
    2:38 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

The downside for him is that he actually looks like he has down syndrome even when he isn’t talking. I wouldn’t trade that for 60k a year.

65. JQ
    2:39 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

It is refreshing to know, P.T. BARNUM is ALIVE and WELL!

66. Laker Cat 18
    2:44 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

63. I just ask you recognize the few bad apples and not associate those with the entire orchard. With churches, I mean. Same with this guy, he’s one bad one out of a lot who really have disabilities that need help.

67. SexnNursinHomes
    2:47 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

67- for sure man. Good points.

68. Slick Willie
    2:48 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This is sports website. Get this crap off of here. Someone had to say it.

69. Tuco
    2:49 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

In away this brings a community together. Just look at these postings, everyone can agree: They have a terrible distain for this individual. “Yes, Let the Hate flow through you.”

70. Billy Mays
    2:49 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Not a moment too soon! I hear Calipari was planning another telethon for this guy.

71. UKAlum
    2:51 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

31- We tried that before, it was called a poll tax, and it was massively discriminatory.

72. Al's IndiCats
    2:52 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Well I’d be really pissed if he was one of those 2%ers

73. mlvei
    2:54 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

My daughter was born disabled and has more soul in her than this poseur has in his little finger. I may have never earned as much as he does but I live with myself and he will always live with the dirtbag he is. Not much consolation, but living within myself I have no one to blame but myself for anything that happens to me and don’t need to lower myself and my daughter doesn’t need to either to his murky, muddy level.

74. mark
    2:54 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Get the hell out of our city you pathetic loser!!!

75. Danny
    2:54 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This guy asked me to buy him a burrito yesterday!

76. Al's IndiCats
    2:54 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I.U has already made Popcorn boxes for this guy!

77. Tuco
    3:01 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

75- Yes..the hate is strong with this one…gooood…

78. DantheCat
    3:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Bet Obama loves this guy…And guess what …us sucker are going to be paying for his health care…Do you make a 100.000K a year with free health care…Ain’t liberal America great…

79. RealCatsFan
    3:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

52, along those lines, WWMKGD? πŸ˜€

80. RealCatsFan
    3:06 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

74, God bless you and your family…

81. RealCatsFan
    3:07 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

77, I think we should jump him, put an IU shirt on him, and take pictures for the national media! πŸ˜€

82. God
    3:07 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#30, obviously you’ve never encounter the kindness of Christians. I hope one day you get too. As a pastor, I have the opportunity to help people every day. Some are just like Gary, liars and con men, but that’s on them not on me or anyone else extending help. To compare the church to Gary makes you look foolish. As we say in North Texas – Kindness Matters!

83. Jake_GOCATS
    3:13 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I gave this man 5 dollars on Sunday. What a disappointment to learn of this afterwards.

84. BennyHanna
    3:20 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Me likes Fried Chicken, you know the fried chicken dinner with the ba…ba…ba…biscuit. Yes, yes me likes it, yes, yes

85. RealCatsFan
    3:30 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

86, wish I could buy a house like that for $125K where I live!

86. bluebiscuit
    3:31 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

So, which is worse, this guy pretending to have brain damage to get some bucks, or young hotties going on the Sugar Daddies and Mommas website to get some bucks? Or, which is better?

87. Alan Cutler
    3:37 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know why WLEX didn’t give me this story…I would have ran him out of town!

88. MachoMan
    3:38 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

OHHH YEAH! This guy is 1 million percent retarded. At wrestle mania 7 I took on the Ultimate Warrior, whom also was a tard. Macho knows Tards Yeah. This buffoon has all of the classic symptoms of Tardation. 1) He don’t know what a camera is for. Cameras are very simple pieces of equipment, they record greatness. Seeing as how he ain’t gotta clue what it is shows the little coward ain’t never been a Champion. 2)The little punk can’t ride a mini bike. Mini bikes are for kids, when Macho was 5 years old I rode wheelie on one of those suckers for almost a kilometer. 3) Throwing “Dueces” is as retarded as Axe Body spray brother. Wave or take a bath Brother! And last but not least D) 3 things come from Texas. Steers, Tards, and Von Erichs. This guy ain’t no Beefcake and he ain’t no Tornado. OOOHHHHH YEAHHH!!!

89. Invisible Obama
    3:41 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Anyone seen “Trading Places” with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroid?

I have no legs, I a have no legs.

90. DrSayre
    3:43 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

91 RIP Macho Man! Always enjoy your calls on KSR even if Matt hangs up all the time…Once again the WWE proves the HOF is rigged by not letting you in!

91. Common Sense
    3:45 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This is the exact reason I don’t give homeless/beggars money when they ask me for it. I can’t trust them and their stories. Plus they could also take my money and spend it on something that isn’t essential for life.

92. Well Hello
    3:53 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I could be wrong but I believe the IRS cannot do anything to this man. The only person who has to pay tax of gifts (which is what this would be considered) is the giver. Also, only gifts over $12,000 have to be reported. So even though this guy is a POS the only trouble he could get into is the 10 day jail time. He will pay back all of his money in hell though.

93. Kujo
    3:54 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I am going to slap the piss out of everyone I see in a wheelchair from now on. πŸ™‚

94. Pin The Tail on The Beez
    3:55 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

87) I agree! $125K for that house and 10 acres!? That would be $225K+ where I live.

95. Investigator
    3:58 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

2/7/11-Federal Tax Lien was filed for $26,279.

He has had 3 other state tax liens that were paid and released on October 2007.

96. Rich
    3:58 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

How is he any different than Obama’s policies? How can one who gives him money and then sees this news report feel like a sucker when the government does it to you every Friday in your paycheck? He should be Obama’s posterboy! Money from people who work, going to people who don’t work. Sound familiar? The only difference is he doesn’t have the IRS to enforce his scheme. Vote Obama!!!!

97. Investigator
    4:00 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

When he was 21, he was arrested for contempt of court, slander, and resisting arrest.

98. whodat
    4:02 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

When I lived in FL there was this guy you would see all the time with the “will work for food sign”. Well one Christmas season I was full of holiday cheeer and went up to him and said I have some work for you. He said he didnt want to work. When I pressed him further he admitted he made about $40K a year panhandling.

99. Shane
    4:07 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I really do feel sorry for the guy because his is so pathetic. No sense of self respect at all. I also think it takes someone with mental problems to do what he is doing.

100. big poppa
    4:09 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#100, I read the same thing last night, turns out his college degree stuff is bogus too, didnt finish 11th grade. πŸ™‚

101. Yoda
    4:10 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Say what you will, but the issue should you ever encounter this man isn’t the spare change you’re parting ways with. Chances are that if you’re giving him – or anyone who is legitimately or falsely representing similar circumstances – money, you’re more concerned with the human condition than your own finances. Those of you who are human secularists can call it “good karma” or whatever. Those who profess to follow Christ can take solace in knowing that their act – even if received by a scam artist – can show God’s love in small ways. Maybe, just maybe, that will change this man someday. If not, well, he will one day answer for his actions, just as we all will. There is no hierarchy of sins, friends. We are all wretched.

102. Jughead
    4:25 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Americans are friggin stupid to give to panhandlers. Makes them feel good about themselves, but does nothing for the bum.

103. Red headed blue blood
    4:32 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

He has an Oboma bumper sticker on his wheel chair and all he wants is a little change
    Either you can give it to me or Caesar will take it from you and give it to him
    Ben Carson for president
    Go Blue!

104. El Guapo
    4:33 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

For one thing, this is far more legitimate than those idiotic Bachelor posts. At least this has something to do with something happening in Kentucky than somebody other than 20-29F’s (and Flener, who is probably in that demographic) would care about.

This guy needs a caning. He’s at the very least trespassing if he’s roaming around retail establishments begging. He’s also fraudulently representing himself as a tard and asking for money. In any real society, this guy would have a bad thrown over his head, bound, and shot in the face and his video placed on YouTube as a warning.

105. Lawrence
    4:34 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This guy is a legend
    I love him

106. Thor
    4:38 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Reminds me of something Eric Cartman once did.

107. fairplay
    4:47 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

A thousand dollars to fifty cents , this guy is a registered democrat.

108. UKAlum
    4:48 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

107- Little excessive don’t you think. Sounds like something they would do in Iran and Saudi Arabia. I guess those are real societies and they are always recruiting..

109. Laker Cat 18
    4:51 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

80. LOL. MKG is my hero.

110. WestWorld
    4:56 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Panhandling is an art form here in South Florida. Maybe he should be taking his talents to Miami, where it’s warm. Shoot, they even start teaching kids at a young age how to panhandle by setting up card tables in front of grocery stores and asking for money for their sports teams, camps, etc without offering to wash a car or give you cookies in return.

111. RealCatsFan
    4:56 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

105, you can call me stupid all you want, and I’ll still sleep well at night. I usually give the benefit of the doubt if someone obviously down and out begs a buck off of me – so long as it is not obvious that they are under the influence of something. I think most people are good hearted and do the same – you can call them stupid if you want, but may God have mercy on the souls of those who take advantage of another’s charity.

112. michaelgray
    5:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Quit reading when this became a political comment section about 20 in, surprise surprise. Obama probably regulates this guy being out there, am I right?

113. UKAlum
    5:05 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

For those of us who espouse christian values during one breath and then make fun those who give to the beggars I remind you that we are commanded to love thy neighbor as we love ourselves. While some people do take advantage, there are many out there who have not had the blessings in their life as you have. Handing out welfare is one thing, but in this country no one should have to go throughout their day hungry.

114. Big Blue Coming At You
    5:13 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Only suckers give money to beggers. Give only to charities you know are real.

115. glt
    5:24 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#30 You got problems! Give to charties or if they are hungry/etc., buy them food, but don’t give them money.

116. Rich
    5:42 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Hey #116, can I borrow a thousand dollars?

117. oldschool
    5:44 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Might be a good idea to pray before you give to people like this. Seek God’s will and that could determine whether you are truly helping someone, or simply enabling them to continue a dishonest, destructive lifestyle. I’ve felt compelled before to pick up hitchhikers, or hand someone a few bucks, or put gas in their car…but on more occasions, I felt it best to pass on by or say no. It’s really something between you and God. I won’t criticize anyone who gives if they think they’re doing the right thing.

As for this man – he’s merely parroting the entitlement lifestyle that’s so popular in America today. We live in a nation where people expect others to pay for their health care, the food, their child care, their education – even their cellphones. We have lost the work ethic and the sense of personal responsibility.

It’s not an accident. It’s an intentional plot to make Americans more and more dependent upon government – to the point of eventual slavery. Government handouts are not charity – because there is no such thing as government money. That money belongs to you and me and charity is not compulsatory.

As angry as watching this video makes me, I see the same attitude every day in the grocery checkout line when people have their food stamps and EBT cards and those living in government housing who could make it on their own with a little effort. I’m not saying there aren’t those who truly do need help – and for those I’m truly compassionate – but I’d say our welfare programs are abused probably to the tune of about 80 percent or more.

118. UKAlum
    5:44 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

116- No you cannot, but I can surely put you in touch with some agencies which could help you with job placement so you could earn that thousand. In the meantime if you’re struggling with feeding yourself, again I can direct you to some wonderful services. Let me know if you would like some contact information.

119. oldschool
    5:44 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

this is my son, my pride and joy. how can you not love him? I created this piece of work. Please don’t be mean. He is just like me. only prettier.

120. oldschool
    5:54 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

122 – What’s wrong – couldn’t come up with an intelligent thought to add to this particular forum. Leave the junior high antics for another thread. I’d be interersted in how you would handle a begger – seriously.

121. Rich
    5:56 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Bummer#121. Don,t worry yourself about all the services, I can just merely go to the numerous government websites and get my free stuff. How ’bout lending me $500?

122. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    6:19 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Cut his spine at T-10 and put an earwig in his ear, then he really will need a chair and be mentally challenged.

123. Chicago Chris
    6:30 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Come on, $60k – $100k a year? That’s a broad estimate. I suggest that he likes to think this is the case to feel better about what he does. He probably took his best day and multiplied by 365.

124. Etwnappel
    6:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I was in Sacramento on business a few years ago. While walking downtown in the evening there were panhandlers everywhere. One struck me. she appeared to be about 9 months pregnant, had a little bit of a dirty face and had a very soft and pleasant voice. I felt bad and worried for her and gave her a few bucks. she thanked me and said “may God bless you”. 6 months later I returned to Sacramento and sure enough ran into her again. Funny thing? She was still 9 months pregnant!

125. UK_JB
    6:55 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I can’t stand this guy!

126. oldschool
    7:10 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

i love to argue with myself. how long can it continue? bi-polar and schizophrenia are no laughing matter, and I have both. c’mon, take a shot at me! listen to me! please pay attention to me! uh-oh…here comes that other personality…the one that’s delusional and ignorant…watch me talk to myself!

127. Tax fraud
    7:34 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

The best way to stop this guy isn’t “to get the word out there” but, instead, to get the word out to three particular letters: IRS. The report, with his statements alone, should be enough for them to open an investigation (unless he has legitimately claimed the income each year on his taxes)

128. Cartman
    7:40 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I like this guy, he’s hella cool

129. Stickman
    9:01 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

What kind of moron gives money to bums anyway? This is a perfect example of why its best to ignore beggars and other Obama supporters.

130. newly homeless
    9:21 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I need to go buy a wheelchair. If you hit it hard for 8 hours in a high traffic area, who knows how much dough you could raise?

Look, this guy is providing a service. He’s helping people feel good about themselves for helping a stranger. Your shrink would charge a lot more than a few bucks

131. jcrt
    9:41 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Who wants to push his wheelchair off a bridge, with him in it? Did I mention the bridge has concrete under it with high traffic? What a loser!

132. tard spy
    9:55 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Breaking News : OBAMA Wants the SOB who stole his idea of taking hard working citizens money , and using it on low life pansies!

133. adoption1
    10:02 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

126. He can’t multiply, remember he is a tard. πŸ™‚

134. Bballdoc
    10:15 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This guy spends plenty of time in jail already, on the taxpayer’s dime, and games the system in there too. He cuts himself on purpose.

135. FullyOscillatingDoucheNozzle
    12:47 am February 27, 2013 Permalink

This guy is worse than me!

136. Df
    4:59 am February 27, 2013 Permalink

People that are connecting this man to Obama and democrats apparently aren’t realizing this guy is practicing completely unregulated capitalism. Just like so many tea-baggers lobby for. He’s selling a story. People are buying it. He’s keeping all his profits. That’s the American dream! According to most on here, assuming Obama had his druthers, he would take half this guys earnings and redistribute it to the other less resourceful panhandlers.

137. Dee
    8:03 am February 27, 2013 Permalink

That’s why I never give them money….I’ll buy a cheeseburger and give them….and send them to a Shelter….never give money…NEVER

138. Greg
    9:00 am February 27, 2013 Permalink

LOL. Are we mad at him or for ourselves for being exposed as suckers? Giving to a bum is a calculated risk going in to it. Why complain? Perhaps it’s better for the military to give 50% of the soldiers a ‘partial disability’ parting gift at the tax payers expense? Ohhh [email protected]!

139. kywildcat_96
    3:01 pm February 27, 2013 Permalink

139 – first intelligent polical post all thread. Only problem is, if you don’t hear it on Fox news, it must not be true.