Friday Night Notes brought to you by desperate Indiana fans

disappointedfans_indiana_l1

I’ll admit, up until the past few days, it’s been hard for me to muster up a lot of hate for Indiana. I grew up in Central Kentucky in the days when Hoosier hate had mostly died down and been replaced by loathing of all things Laettner. My dad and I went to a few Indiana/Kentucky games when they played at the RCA Dome and it was always a good time, especially since we won most of the time. Along with America, I laughed at Mike Davis’ ridiculous meltdown back in 2002 (“Head on, apply directly to the forehead!”), and made merciless fun of Bobby Knight and his grumpy old man act. I was even happy for them when they hired Tom Crean and thought he would be their savior. I can even see a little bit of our former selves in the Hoosier nation right now, spurned by mediocrity, living in the past and desperate to regain former glory. If anything, prior to this week’s trash talk, I thought of Indiana as Kentucky’s “Bless their little hearts” rival, and treated them with a mixture of pity and indifference.

That was until I started reading some of the Hoosier trash talk going around the interwebs. Each fan base has its rotten apples, yes, but what I want to know is, what is all of this boisterous bravado based on? An 8-0 record with wins over Savannah State, San Francisco, and–stop the presses–NC State? That’s cute. So are those little “Beat Kentucky” shirts you made for tomorrow. It’s all adorable, silly nonsense that you hope will culminate in a David over Goliath revival of the Crimson and Cream, but guess what: this ain’t Hoosiers. Reality is, Indiana will pit their five guys (Jordan Hulls, Verdell Jones III, Victor Oladipo, Christian Watford, and Cody Zeller) against our five guys (Marquis Teague, Doron Lamb, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Terrence Jones, and Anthony Davis). I like our chances.

With that in mind, let’s go over some notes from the day:

— Oddly, the biggest news of the day wasn’t about tomorrow’s game, it was Calipari’s comments about his future at Kentucky. In an interview with Dan Patrick, Cal said that he doesn’t think he can last ten years at Kentucky due to the stress of the job, but he did believe it would be his last coaching job. Cal expanded on those comments during his time with the media this afternoon, saying “it took me 20 years to get here, so I’m not in a hurry to leave.” We’re not in a hurry either, Coach.

— The only advantage Indiana will have tomorrow is the crowd. This will be Kentucky’s first true road test, and it will be a tough one. Cal said that it is crucial that Marquis Teague, a passionate player even without the added drama of his Indiana homecoming, not let his emotions get the best of him and engage in a personal duel with the IU players. But Marquis Teague don’t care, Marquis Teague don’t give a crap:

“I’m going to get a lot of boos. I already know. They did it to me in my (high-school) all-star game. I’m prepared. It doesn’t bother me. I try not to listen to it.”

— Don’t think that the hostile environment has the Cats running scared, though. Darius Miller says the team is ready to have some fun with it:

“I already told some of the guys it’s going to be the toughest environment we play in. It’s going to be loud, the fans are going to be crazy and the team’s going to be pumped up. It’s going to be a great experience. I think it’s going to be fun for all of us. They’re going to be ready to go, so we have to too.”

— Feeling sorry for the Hoosiers yet? Really?! Here’s a prime example of their misguided elitism, courtesy of Kent Sterling. It’ll get you rowdy for a Hoosier beatdown like nothing else. In fact, I want to go out and buy a dartboard, hang it up, print out Kent Sterling’s picture, and throw darts at it all night long. Meet you at Walmart.

See you in the morning. Until then, enjoy another masterpiece from Brice Fox and Daniel Weber:

They make it so easy…

47 Comments for Friday Night Notes brought to you by desperate Indiana fans

1. The Rich White Man in Control
    11:08 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Teague better show up tomorrow or he’s going to have more than just Indiana fans booing him too. Time to nut up or shut up!!!!!

2. TheDecker
    11:11 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

I refuse to click on a Kent Sterling link….he’s a douche

3. IndyAlum
    11:18 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

STOP linking kent sterling. It’s sh*t like this, KSR…

4. CadizCat
    11:21 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Kent Sterling is an ass

5. Calisafatpig
    11:38 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Cal has to lift his front butt in order to pee. Gross!!!

6. RickyPVoodooDoll
    11:39 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

If, Coach Cal is worried that he many get coaching burn out, maybe he should not take on coaching national teams, of countries that he is not even from, in the off season. Just saying

7. Lovely
    11:44 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Hey #1, were you watching Zombieland on TV too?

8. ???
    11:51 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Thats right tyler
    Teague is our little honey badger and he dont give shi t
    Hell hecwill even run backwards on their ass

9. Michael Kidd-Langford
    11:53 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

All I’m saying is, as long as Gene Hackman doesn’t run the Picket Fence on us we’ll be fine.

10. ???
    11:59 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

You think teague cares about the booing he dont care he dont giveva shibt

11. Calipari'sInYourEar
    12:03 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

It’s amazing at one time this website tried to keep Tyler Thompson off it.

She’s easily among the top 4 (Matt, Beisner, Drew) as one who consistently brings dynamic value to each post (quality humor, information, history, tradition, program knowledge, ability to actually form sentences, presentation of ideas – reading ease and organizational clarity).

Everyone else is in another zip code.

12. Watch ur mouths
    12:08 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

All I can say bout all the trash talking from IU fans is that they need to ask Mississippi State what happened 2 years ago when they wanted to trash talk and run their mouths just like IU fans r doing now. And I think Jones will b the one to shut them up!!!!

13. Calipari'sInYourEar
    12:09 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

#6 – Good point. Maybe he shouldn’t call in to so many tv shows either. Or own so many orange leafs. Or sniff so much freshly pooped ice cream… wait, who wants to stop doing that?

Cal has compiled a group of coaches that together work their asses off. It’s amazing to watch the results of his group.

14. Reba
    12:22 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Give some love to the Volleyball Cats. They lost a hard fought match to the top ranked team in the country (Texas) to end their season tonight. This is a great group of girls who seem to really love this University. It was a shame to see them go down tonight, but they really put up a good fight and did us all proud. Go Cats!

15. Lovely
    12:27 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Aww, Dick Vitale is excited. How adorable. Some of these ESPN announcers forgot the clause in their contract that says they are supposed to hate UK. A couple have been quite complimentary of late, and you know they are going to get in trouble for that.

Also, when they were showing Indiana highlights to preview the big matchup, most of IU’s highlights were in black and white.

16. EMG
    12:31 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Hopefully when Cal does ride off into the sunset Antigua has had a few years of head coaching experience and comes back to Lexington.

And please, never give a link to this Kent Sterling twat-waffle again. I had to hold back the stomach bile just to get to the end. Seriously, how can IU fans still be this pompous? They haven’t been to the tourney since 2003 without Sampson’s recruiting… “methods” let’s say. I hadn’t really given this game much thought until this week, but now that they’ve pissed us all off, I want them put back in their place.

That being said, I still can’t muster up actual hate for IU. It’s not even pity really. It’s more like “Aww, they think they can actually win. That’s adorable.”

17. F IU
    12:34 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Why post the link to that Sterling piece? You’re just giving the d-bag hits.

18. Tennessee Wildcat
    12:53 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Great line #9. Just finished watching the 1975 UK/IU Regional final where we upset the hoosiers and got sweet revenge for the back of the head slap that Knight did to our beloved Joe B. We do have a history with Crean, as he had some success against us while at Marquette. I believe that the rivalry will be getting more intense over the next couple of years. The ’75 game was a good warm up for tomorrow for me. I hope we throttle them in the second half, like we did two years ago. I predict about a 12 point win for the Cats.

19. bgcardfan
    1:01 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

I can’t believe hoosier fans would log onto their own fan site and talk about how they believe
    their IU team will beat you guys on saturday. Shame on them. Don’t they know that all fan sites
    aren’t about their team but merely a forum with which to hate UK. I mean REALLY hoosier fans!!!

20. Fart Blossom
    2:03 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

When you think of IU, think of UK the day ESPN announced him as UK’s new head coach. We were all so happy to see Tubby leaving and the thought of a young and upcoming Billy Clyde regenerated the hope of the BIG BLUE NATION……….That’s exactly how IU fans feel right now. They’ve sucked for the past 10 years and now have a pretty good team, a good coach and a loyal die hard fan base like the BBN. The trash talking they’re doing simply proves that they love their team and that’s what makes them a great fan base. They don’t compare to the BBN, but still they love their team. Stop sweating their rants and raves and just go out and kick their a$$ on the court tomorrow!!!!

GO BLUE

21. Guest
    2:36 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

#6 – Learn commas!

22. ESPN Insider Story
    3:09 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

I know it’s early… but some thoughts on UK. For those w/o access, Joe Lunardi had this to say: The next full bracket is scheduled for Thursday, Dec. 15, with weekly projections beginning Monday, Jan. 2. In the meantime, we can see quite a few patterns taking shape across the country. While none may be as newsworthy as our call from last December — that the Big East was about to shatter every record for NCAA bids in a single season — I’m willing to go out on a small limb with the following extended forecasts:

– Wild Cats: Not only is Kentucky going to be a No. 1 seed, it is going to be the No. 1 overall seed on Selection Sunday. According to Ken Pomeroy’s peerless projections, the Wildcats will be favorites in every game for the balance of the regular season. That doesn’t mean they’ll win every time, obviously, but it does mean they’re not likely to suffer more than 2-3 losses. No other major conference team will have a record quite like that. Kentucky’s road to New Orleans figures to wind its way through both Louisville and St. Louis as the No. 1 seed in the Midwest Region.

– Not far behind: With Kentucky’s odds for a No. 1 seed at about 65 percent (which is an extraordinarily high number for early December), Ohio State is next on the board at a little under 50 percent. The two teams are comparable in a number of metrics so far this year, but the Buckeyes figure to lose a few more times in the deeper Big Ten. I think we’ll see Ohio State with a better RPI than Kentucky on Selection Sunday, but that doesn’t change the reality that the Buckeyes have a harder road to the bracket’s top line.

Bracket bytes: If we were doing an NCAA bracket today, the protected seeds would look like this:

MIDWEST WEST SOUTH EAST
    1-Kentucky 1-North Carolina 1-Ohio State 1-Syracuse
    2-Baylor 2-Missouri 2-Louisville 2-Duke
    3-Marquette 3-Connecticut 3-Kansas 3-Florida
    4-Wisconsin 4-Alabama 4-Georgetown 4-Xavier

Seriously, the dirty birds at 2 behind OSU? Who have they played?!

23. UnaBro
    3:10 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Why do we have this attitude about IU? Til this year this is the way TN fans felt about KY–only times 1000. Oh they are so cute, they think they have a chance against us this year, cootchie-coo.

24. Sick of Talk...
    6:00 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Hey Cat fans, look at what happened to UNC when they went on the road the first time this year, and w/ a much more experienced team. They have loads more talent than UNLV, but got rolled pretty badly. Not saying its gonna happen today, but it could. All the belittling of IU could just make you all look like idiots. Why not keep your mouth shut until we win the game and then do some talking.

Oh, and totally agree w/ No.11 re Ms. Tyler Thompson. Consistently funny and well written. Great work TT!

25. WTF
    6:11 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

You could take UNC, Louisville and Duke, roll them into a ball, and i still wouldn’t hate them more than I hate Indiana!! If you have been a UK fan for more than 20 years, and don’t have absolute disgust for the Hoosiers until now, then you must like Bobby Knight. And if you like Bobby Knight, then you really don’t know about this rivalry!!

26. OogieBoogieMan
    6:38 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

3 more years folks… Cal’s been talking too much about this lately for it to just be idle talk.

27. StubHub
    6:59 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

The IndyStar.com IU propaganda rag is encouraging Loosier loyalists to NOT sell their ducats to UK fans today.
    Doesn’t the paper know that the poor little stoopid, unemployed, vodka swilling Loosier inbreeds need the money????

28. StubHub
    7:01 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

one Looosier says “”I really don’t think we’re going to see that much (Kentucky) blue there (today). As a season ticket holder, I would be disappointed if I saw more blue than I have in prior years.”

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

29. Nassau65
    7:57 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Ms. Tyler, thanks for not blind linking Sterling. At least you warned us up front it was him. Aaron could sure learn from you. You are quickly becoming my fav.

30. Scott
    8:03 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

OK CATS, time to crush another generation of IU fans, ruin their day, make them cry and send them back to their meth labs.

31. Nassau65
    8:27 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

This is all soooooo cute. Unranked Indiana against #1 in the nation UK. Do ya think Cal will bring his Craftsman tape measure and show the boys that the goals are 10 foot high like they do in the movie? Oh, wait-that’s the other team. Cats by 17 at least.

32. Throttle Time
    8:28 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

A blog in todays IU propaganda rag & partner in slime the Indystar by CTC- Coach Tom Crean a.k.a. Clappy The Clown’s personal cub beat reporter Homer Hutchens:

“If IU were to win, should students rush the floor?” Homer answers yes of course.

Here’s to Coach Cal standing at center court in ASSembly Hall (while smoking a cigar much like Robert Duvall in Apocolypse Now) and putting his Nike Combat Boots squarely on the neck of Hoosierbilly fanboi, as their beady little rat eyes get larger in their panic mode, they squeal like the little b!tches they are, their meth complexion skin turns a brighter shade of crimson, and they beg for UK mercy at the feet of their basketball God, Coach Calipari.

33. Throttle Time
    8:30 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

“I say to our Hoosier enemies: We are coming. God may have mercy on you, but we won’t”

~ Coach Calipari

34. josh
    8:42 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

C’mon this is all a marketing scheme. If they didnt blow up this game no one would watch and ESPNs ratings would suck. Thats all that it is about. Kentucky will win by at least 10. I would say more like 20. I think KY gets more fired up when they play on the road. You suck ESPN.

35. Sodom, Indiana
    8:56 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Hey…they edited out the end of that video where those two Hoosier dooshbois sodomize each other in the parking lot of Assembly Hall.

That video is from the IU historical archives library, and it’s actually the story of the origins of the “cream” from the IU cream and crimson slogan.

36. jaxcats8503
    9:01 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

What IU lacks in basketball skills, they make up for it in fan video productions.

37. CATNTN
    9:17 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Don’t mind the Sterling links. As long as I know that’s what they are, I don’t have to use them. Good post Tyler.

38. MG
    9:58 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

#32 – Well that’s a bit much.

39. DHo
    10:12 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Holy ish! Sterling says Calipari wanted to come to IU when they hired Crean.
    Pee down my leg and tell me it’s raining, Kent!

40. catfan55
    11:31 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

#24-I agree with you 100%,I think we should wait until after the game to do our talking,and let the players do the talking during the game.GO CATS!!

41. Megan
    11:33 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Ms. Tyler has been my fave for some time now. Her take on the bravado coming from across the river is spot on. That’s exactly the word for it. I find it strangely misplaced and a bit off-putting. There is no sense of modesty or humility, which is something they should have in abundance at this point in their development under Crean. Instead, they are leveraging the perception of their future success to thump their chests now, before the goods have arrived. I’m sure they like the way it feels, but it doesn’t come across well, as you can tell from the reaction of UK fans. Normally happy just for a win, I don’t even want this game to be close.

42. BigBlueSkyDog
    12:14 pm December 10, 2011 Permalink

This superiority complex that Hoosiers have toward Kentuckians is quite amusing. Normally people who look down their noses at others don’t even bother to tell them how superior they think they are to them. However, these Hoosiers can’t stop telling us how inferior we are to them. My dear Hoosier friends, please wipe the spittle off your chins for a moment and look up the word “projection” in the dictionary. If you haven’t a dictionary handy, then let me paraphrase a little Shakespeare for you: “Me thinkest ya’ll doth protest a bit much.”

43. ET
    2:27 pm December 10, 2011 Permalink

Didn’t realize Jeff Foxworthy was an IU fan…

44. Nassau65
    3:12 pm December 10, 2011 Permalink

see comments

45. Score The Ball
    3:48 pm December 10, 2011 Permalink

Assembly Hall may be wild when the game starts but by the 7:00 mark in the second half, all that will be heard is the dribbling of the ball and a small but spirited chorus of “GO BIG BLUE!”

46. cdc73
    9:34 pm December 10, 2011 Permalink

Kent Sterling hired Dan Dakich to be on the radio here in Indianapolis. That should tell you all you need to know. Dakich is an elitist dork that takes swipes at UK anytime he gets the chance yet also distances himself from Knight. Hypocrite anyone? They try to make up for their lack of wins and success by graduation rates etc. Last time I checked Duke was winning and had high graduation rates and NBA talent so what is your excuse now Indiana and the rest of the god-forsaken Big Ten. ITs all jealousy. UK has bigger, better and more passionate sports fanbase. More success in basketball and football and plays in a tougher conference. Isn’t it also funny how IU fan seems to “forget” the Sampson era which had massive NCAA violations.

47. cdc73
    9:37 pm December 10, 2011 Permalink

#39 Sterling is full of it. I have it on VERY good authority that is not the case whatsoever. His job at Memphis was better and IU had a VERY tough time with this coaching search as basically no coach wanted to touch the program because it was in such bad shape and take too long to rebuild. BTW IU fan, one game does not a rebuilt program make.