Good evening Cats fans, I hope everyone got their fill of bourbon and horses today at Keeneland. I wasn’t in Lexington but Twitter tells me the beautiful weather made it a perfect day to lose a little money at the racetrack. It was a relatively slow day on the news front, especially when you think about the fact that four days ago we were all celebrating a national championship, but I’m here to give you a little Friday night recap of what’s going on in the UK news world.
– The biggest “news” of the day is a rumor from ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford. Ford claims he has heard from sources that Davis, Jones and Kidd-Gilchrist are all preparing to declare for the 2012 NBA Draft. While this could very well be true, most of BBN has already assumed those three were on the way out anyway. With all three projected to go in the lottery in almost every mock draft, this rumor really comes as no surprise.
– After meeting with Coach Cal this week, more rumors swirl around Twitter that Alex Oriakhi will be meeting with coaches of Xavier and Missouri next weekend. Hopefully Mizzou coach Frank Haith accidentally spills a drink on Oriakhi or something because I’d hate to see him at a school in the SEC other than Kentucky.
– Eloy Vargas is pulling a Jorts this weekend and going on an autograph signing tour. He started today in Nicholasville but will be traveling to four different locations around the state tomorrow. Make sure to show the big guy some love.
– The top-ranked UK Bat Cats hosted No. 10 Ole Miss tonight, and pulled out a 3-2 comeback win. They move to 29-2 overall, 8-2 in SEC. First pitch is at 2 p.m. tomorrow.
– The Kentucky softball team plays host to South Carolina this weekend for a three-game series that started tonight. They dropped the first game, 9-1 in five innings, despite UK senior Brittany Cervantes hitting a home run in the bottom of the first. The softball diamond has not been these girls’ best friend so far this season when it comes to league play. UK is just 3-7 in the conference, while South Carolina is 3-9.
– The UK gymnastics team is set for their NCAA Regional meet tomorrow in Champaign, Ill. They just competed in the Southeastern Conference Champions where they recorded the best finish in school history and probably did a bunch of things that I will never be flexible enough to do.
– Finally, in case you’ve been living under a rock for the past couple days, our very own Anthony Davis was on Jimmy Kimmel Live! last night and represented Kentucky very well. I can’t remember the last time I saw a UCLA freshman on a late night talk show (cough cough, Shabazz).