Friday night notes

notes

Good evening Cats fans, I hope everyone got their fill of bourbon and horses today at Keeneland. I wasn’t in Lexington but Twitter tells me the beautiful weather made it a perfect day to lose a little money at the racetrack. It was a relatively slow day on the news front, especially when you think about the fact that four days ago we were all celebrating a national championship, but I’m here to give you a little Friday night recap of what’s going on in the UK news world.

– The biggest “news” of the day is a rumor from ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford. Ford claims he has heard from sources that Davis, Jones and Kidd-Gilchrist are all preparing to declare for the 2012 NBA Draft. While this could very well be true, most of BBN has already assumed those three were on the way out anyway. With all three projected to go in the lottery in almost every mock draft, this rumor really comes as no surprise.

– After meeting with Coach Cal this week, more rumors swirl around Twitter that Alex Oriakhi will be meeting with coaches of Xavier and Missouri next weekend. Hopefully Mizzou coach Frank Haith accidentally spills a drink on Oriakhi or something because I’d hate to see him at a school in the SEC other than Kentucky.

Eloy Vargas is pulling a Jorts this weekend and going on an autograph signing tour. He started today in Nicholasville but will be traveling to four different locations around the state tomorrow. Make sure to show the big guy some love.

– The top-ranked UK Bat Cats hosted No. 10 Ole Miss tonight, and pulled out a 3-2 comeback win. They move to 29-2 overall, 8-2 in SEC. First pitch is at 2 p.m. tomorrow.

– The Kentucky softball team plays host to South Carolina this weekend for a three-game series that started tonight. They dropped the first game, 9-1 in five innings, despite UK senior Brittany Cervantes hitting a home run in the bottom of the first. The softball diamond has not been these girls’ best friend so far this season when it comes to league play. UK is just 3-7 in the conference, while South Carolina is 3-9.

The UK gymnastics team is set for their NCAA Regional meet tomorrow in Champaign, Ill. They just competed in the Southeastern Conference Champions where they recorded the best finish in school history and probably did a bunch of things that I will never be flexible enough to do.

– Finally, in case you’ve been living under a rock for the past couple days, our very own Anthony Davis was on Jimmy Kimmel Live! last night and represented Kentucky very well. I can’t remember the last time I saw a UCLA freshman on a late night talk show (cough cough, Shabazz).

Article written by David Jackson

21 Comments for Friday night notes

1. crazycatfan
    10:15 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

LOVED ANTHONY DAVIS LAST NIGHT!!! HE IS SUCH A GREAT AMBASSADOR OF UK!!!

2. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    10:55 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

What the hell is a David Jackson? Have I been reading your posts but just did not know it? Good write up. No Breisner, Drew or Intern bit certainly a star compared to BTI or Corey. Have a great Easter weekend.

3. Richard the great
    11:13 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

David Jackson is the best writer on KSR. He has been here atleast since 2009

4. Brewery Boy
    11:26 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

Good night.

5. Eloy
    11:45 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I will be visiting every Wendys in the greater Kentucky area. Frostys on me.

6. Fvtbyn
    11:49 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I don’t see what’s so enamoring about oriakhi that would make you say you’d hate to see him in the sec against uk. Uconn had a lot of team chemistry problems and he was pretty clearly part of it while being an average player on an average team. He’s not that good.

7. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    11:49 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I am coming up on six years with the site and this is the first time I have paid close enough attention or noticed anything DJ has written.

8. Drew Franklin's Tongue
    12:22 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

David who?

9. Richard the great
    12:34 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

David Jackson was the guy who broke the news about Anthony Davis committing to UK.

10. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    1:41 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

You’re crazy. That was Jesse Jackson that broke the news about AD.

11. The Rock
    2:20 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m not positive, but I believe this David Jackson is the noted Hollywood director, famous for CSI: New York and Smallville. Other than that, who the hell is David Jackson?

12. Ridge Runner
    6:15 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

7…5 years for me but yeah, I’m with ya.

April 11th, will be glued to ESPN to catch the Noel / Bazz announcement. UK Basketball Never Stops…damn, that fits us like a shoe.

13. Ridge Runner
    6:21 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

If we do get the UConn transfer…just a thought when he scores @ Rupp Arena…

I bet the opposing team has already shot the ball by the time Rupps PA announcer gets this in…BASKET BY ORRR—EEEE—–AKKKKKK—-KEYYYYY

14. SexnNursinHomes
    7:15 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

David Jackson? sounds like a fake name. Kinda like the fake names I give the police when I am being questioned for a crime. Yes officer, I’m Bill. Bill Smith. or My name is Ted. Ted Jenkins.

Anyways- David Jackson, good write up and keep’em coming. Floss daily and wash behind your ears.

15. BukakenNursinHomes
    7:52 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

14 Sounds suspiciously like my my pseudo name Long Dong Silver.

16. SexnNursinHomes
    8:23 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

15- hahahaha damn, good saturday morning laugh

17. Al's IndiCats
    9:59 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like a name you’d have in a witness protection plan. Why yes, my name IS David…..David Jackson. I like my acusees shakened, not stirred!

18. Rixter
    10:12 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

I wish everybody would stop worrying about Shabazz. If he comes to UK it’s because the kid wants to work his butt off, get better, grow as a person, learn team basketball, it means that competing for a national championship is important to him… if he chooses UCLA, it means he wants the quickest, easiest path to paycheck…and if that’s the kind of kid he is, why would we want him in blue? Coach Cal said it best…”we want the brightest and the best”

19. MKG
    10:26 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

david jackson writes for ksr college most of the time

20. enes
    12:29 pm April 7, 2012 Permalink

Why was AD not wearing a Kentucky shirt?

21. Hipdresr
    7:59 pm April 7, 2012 Permalink

AD’s hoodie is from Leaders 1354, a trendy apparel store in Chicago. Maybe he just wanted to rep the hometown or it’s a gift from family. Guessing he didn’t take an appearance fee from Kimmel since he hasn’t yet declared for NBA, so UK gear should have been acceptable.