– The big news of the day should be tomorrow’s game against Florida, but nobody really seems to want to talk about it. Maybe it’s because Florida is awesome and we are…well, we are what we are. But, if there’s a way for this team to turn the season around, it’s a good showing tomorrow. An upset isn’t necessary and certainly not expected (although good lord, I’ll take it), but the Cats must give the fans and each other a reason to believe. Many things will have to happen for that to occur, starting with a good performance by the offensive line. Thankfully, the line will have all its starters playing together for the first time this season. And that’s good, right? Except for the fact that Florida’s defensive line is just terrifying, and it will take everything our line’s got to protect Newton and make opportunities for Clemons and Williams.
– So say the offensive line holds it together AND Morgan Newton has the best game of his life AND his receivers don’t drop any passes AND Josh Clemons runs for over 100 yards. Then do we have a chance? I’m giving it a lukewarm “meh,” simply because I can’t imagine all those things happening at once. And Florida’s defense is terrifying. So are their running backs, Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps.
– Even if we don’t believe, Desmond Howard does. He picked the Cats to upset the Gators today. No, seriously.
– Enough of that, let’s talk basketball. 2013 guard/forward Jabari Parker, the #1 prospect in the 2013 class, says he has an offer from the Cats, along with Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, DePaul, Illinois, Michigan State, Washington, Utah, Brigham Young, and oh yeah, Louisville. Cal watched Parker play earlier this week. Hunter posted an awesome video below if you’re curious.
– According to Julius Randle, Coach Cal is coming to visit him next week. Randle is a 6â€²8 PF from Plano, Texas who was ranked the top power forward in the 2013 class by Scout.com. He’s also considering Baylor, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Kansas, and Texas. Go Cal.
– What are you doing on January 7th? Watching Alex Poythress and Archie Goodwin play at Lexington Catholic? Me too! That’s wild. Poythress and Goodwin will be participating in the 2012 Dunkin’ Donuts Shootout, which provides the nation’s most talented high school basketball players with free doughnuts…or something.
– We may not beat Florida, but at least we can laugh at their fans:
Rah rah rah!
See you in the morning.