Good morning, my KSR amigos and amigas. Rumbaugh made me promise I’d somehow dedicate this post to Haylie Duff, Seal and Iwo Jima, three things very closely related. However, just like a Tubby Smith recruiting class, I’m here to disappoint. Your Friday News and Views are going to be short, rushed and typed by my fat fingers on this new touch phone (that’s code for “ignore the typos”) while I wait in the emergency room for the 254,938th time in the past two years. Kids are expensive.
On to some UK notes….
– Some people might tell you that Friday is a day to think about what Tiger Woods means to you, but I think it’s a day to anticipate UK’s biggest road challenge of the season. Not only will the Cats be facing the next best team in the SEC when they hit Nashvill Saturday, they will do so in a venue where they’ve lost 4 in a row and 6 of the last 8. They probably won’t throw bottles and the won’t leave you voicemails challenging you to an Affirmative Action debate, but the crowd will be very, very fired up. It should shake up to be one heck of a game.
– Apparently Thursday was the day that the John Wall vs. Evan Turner debate threatened to blow up the internet. It seemed that pretty much anyone with even the tiniest bit of bandwith wanted to throw in their opinion. Turner seems to have increased his public opinion ranking exponentially, converting several media types along the way. Gary Parrish (the only man who seems to have as big of a man crush as me) defended John Wall and touted him as the award winner (link coming after I get home).
– If you are among those still thinking that Cal could be on his way to the New Jersey Nets, consider this absolutely reliable source. UK commit Stacey Poole told ESPN that “There’s no way Coach Cal is going to leave Kentucky” before adding that he loves it here. So there you have it.
– Somewhat lost in the shuffle is that beginning on Sunday, college basketball will be taken over by “Beat Cancer Week”, which aims to raise cancer awareness through the headband. Yes, the headband. Fans, players and coaches are encouraged to wear headbands during “Beat Cancer Wee” Feb. 21-28 and I’m happy to say we’ll be a part of promoting it while on our CBS trip.
– If you missed it earlier, scrolld down and read the story about Raajan Bennett, a Vandy commit and former UK recruit who was killd in a murder-suicide. Terrible news and its the kind that kind of sticks with you and makes you feel sick most of the da.
– I feel like I say this often, but if you aren’t watching the NBA, you need to. LeBron vs. Carmelo was epic Thursday night with both players went right at each other in one of the most incredible games I’ve seen in a long time.
– As a final note, don’t forget to keep checking out the CBS Sports page (link below) all day. The guys will have their post-Marquette stuff up shortly and tomorrow’s coverage will focus around the might power that is Northen Iowa. We have tons of stuff planned for the trip so make sure you read it there.
Stay tuned throughout the day for more UK sports reported in the most ridiculous manner possible and….drumroll please….more Anthony Wireman! In the meantime, can someone please look at my freaking kid so we can go home? Anyway, see you in a few…