Each day it seems like Joker Phillips has a new guy that has stood out to him in practice. Today was no exception to the madness trying to peg down who will be in starting roles on September 2nd. However we got the chance to learn a few new things that are worth your time.
– There is still not a definite starting Quarterback. Joker continues to say the same things about them, but is leaving the position open for now, even though Randy Sanders’ comments after Saturday’s scrimmage suggest Maxwell Smith was head and shoulders above the rest. Expect news soon on the starter. I can’t imagine there not being one set by the time camp ends next Tuesday.
– Joker Phillips was very happy with the Freshman RB duo of Dyshawn Mobley and Justin Taylor after Saturdays’ scrimmage, but seemed even more excited after practice today. If you don’t know about them yet, take the time to learn their names now, so you can brag to all your friends when they’re scoring touchdowns and you can say “I told you so”. Joker loves the fact that they, “move the pile an extra 4 or 5 yards”. After holding a short yard scrimmage this morning, Joker’s eyes’ widened when talking about their ability to turn nothing into something, and said that he expects that both of them will see the field this season if they continue to play at a high level. The Cats need good short yard backs, especially after going an abysmal 28.9% last fall.
– If Joker is correct, #BBN should be expecting more excitement out of the team this year. Joker has frequently talked about how they not only need leaders, but big playmakers out of this team. Today it seemed as if everyone was doing something exciting, whether it be the running backs making a big play on a screen, or the defense taking an interception to the house, the team is finally doing things on the field that you want to see happen on Saturday afternoons.
– Safety Glenn Faulkner got an MRI today on the ankle he sprained during the scrimmage on Saturday. They’re expecting it to be a typical high ankle sprain, with some rest and rehab in order for it to get back in shape but are taking the usual precautionary measures to make sure it is A-OK. A friend of mine close to the team said he is “hands down the best athlete on the team, not even a question,” which means that he NEEDS to be on the field.
– Camp is basically non-stop football for two and a half weeks. I got the chance to see their daily schedule and I was trying to see where there was free time, but I guess somebody forgot to slide that in there. I asked La’Rod King what he did when they weren’t practicing and the answer was simple, “Watch film, take a nap, eat, something less productive than football. It’s always strictly football out here so we try to do our best to get away for a little while.”
The quote of the day today comes from coach Randy Sanders when talking about the Freshman Running Backs.
“When guys tackle them, (defenders) usually get up fixing their chin strap.”
–Follow me on twitter @RoushKSR and check in on the College Football Countdown on KSRCollege.com