Freedom Hall Game’s Tuesday News and Views

freedom-hall

Kentucky has played many a big games at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky in the building’s 56-year history. Wednesday night’s game against Arkansas-Little Rock, however, will probably not rank high on the list of classics, but you should be excited about it anyway. The Cats and the Trojans are scheduled to tip off at 7:00 pm in UK’s annual home away from home game in the former birdhouse. Tickets are still available and can be purchased online at Ticketmaster.com. Fans of the home game in Louisville need to pack the house if they want to see Kentucky continue to play in Freedom Hall. Coach Cal hinted to the media that the future of the game could be in jeopardy if it doesn’t sell out. The same game would draw 24,000 fans in Rupp Arena so UK can’t afford to keep playing in front of 15,000 in Louisville. If UK drops the game from the schedule, Freedom Hall will only be good for horse shows, rifle conventions, and Ronnie Milsap concerts. Nobody wants to see that. You should go.

Lets get you some news and views.

— We’ll lead off with three interesting statistics from Kentucky basketball. This first is Marquis Teague is second on the team in shot attempts this season, just 11 shy of Doron Lamb’s team-leading 142 attempts. If someone had told you that would be the case before the season started, I’m sure you would’ve (a) laughed or (b) smacked them. Coach Cal spoke about his point guard’s frequent shooting for UK’s practice on Monday, and he said teams just aren’t playing him. “He’s getting a lot of shots because they aren’t playing him and, if he is shooting a lot of lay-ups, then shoot a hundred. I could care less, we are trying to win,” Calipari said on Monday. “The guys that are doing the dirty work aren’t complaining about shots so nobody else has the right.” Cal also pointed out that Teague has a ways to go, but he’s right on pace with Kentucky’s last two point guards.  “Marquis is still learning, he’s not there yet, he’s not totally bought in yet but that’s fine, neither did Brandon last year at this point and I think I remember John Wall saying, ‘I’m not having fun,’ halfway through the year.”

Anthony Davis is four blocks away from cracking the top ten on UK’s single season shot blocking list. Davis has 64 blocks through 14 games and he’s on pace to, not only break, but absolutely shatter the record of 83. If Davis keeps up his 4.6 blocks per game, he’ll finish the season with 151. That is just absurd. He’s the reason Kentucky is best in the nation with 10.2 blocks per game.

— Kentucky is the only team in the country with six players averaging double figures in scoring. UK has never finished a season with six double-figure scorers, and a Kentucky team has only finished with five players in double figures nine times since 1947. Six of those nine teams were during the Adolph Rupp era.

— The Cats moved up to No. 2 in both the AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches basketball polls. I don’t see Kentucky losing a game in all of January so it won’t be long before the boys in blue are back on top. I’ll go ahead and predict a No. 1 ranking next week courtesy of a Syracuse home loss to Marquette on Saturday.

— John Grieg, the agent of DeMarcus Cousins, released a statement from his client regarding the reported trade demand and fallout with Paul Westphal:

“I want to address my missing the New Orleans game Sunday. I have not demanded or requested a trade. I don’t agree with the actions taken but will give my sincere effort to put it behind me and compete the best I can for my team.”

If what was reported is true, DeMarcus was immature in how he handled his frustrations with the team. I wasn’t in the locker room, so I don’t know, but I do know DeMarcus very well and he is one of the nicest, most likable guys you could ever meet. Regardless of what actually happened, I hate that it darkens that cloud above his head and brings more negativity towards the way he is perceived by the national media. He really is a great guy, who just needs to be more of a professional at times.

— Either his Twitter account was hacked by a 17-year old girl or Matt Jones fell off the wagon:

Matt sent not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, but seven tweets about The Bachelor on Monday night. Even Beisner’s obsession with Justified thinks he was a little too giddy for the show.

— The Kyle Anderson kid continues to be a thorn in Kentucky’s side when it comes to the recruitment of Shabazz Muhammad. Anderson, a UCLA commit, told Adam Zagoria that he talks to Shabazz and 2012 power forward Tony Parker almost everyday. “I really want to get them here,” he said. UCLA is one of the six schools Muhammad is considering and his good buddy realizes the decision is ultimately up to Shabazz. “He likes (UCLA) but it’s just a decision that he has to make,” Anderson said.

— Josh Harrellson didn’t have the best of games for the Knicks on Monday night, but he continued to impress his coaches and fans with his “hard work” style of play. Despite only scoring two points in his second career start for New York, Jorts came up with a huge block late in the Knicks’ failed comeback attempt against Toronto. We see you working, big fella.

John Wall and Rajon Rondo went head-to-head for the second time in two nights. Wall had 11 points with eight assists to Rondo’s six points and 13 assists. I’m sticking with my assertion that NBA League Pass is the greatest thing to hit the Internet since AOL Instant Messenger.

— KSR is looking for young writers with expertise in bolding themes and writing in lists. We need 6-8 writers for the new “KSR College” website that’ll launch next week. Interested candidates need to be in either college or graduate school, have the ability to attend events on UK’s campus and an interest in writing about UK sports and topics surrounding UK sports in the coming year. You don’t have to be a student at UK but you do need to be at a college close enough to UK so that you could be sent to Lexington for events (Transy, Centre, EKU, etc). Writers will be selected on a semester by semester basis and the best of them may one day find their way to the main KSR site in the future. If you are interested in applying, the turnaround is quick. We need (a) A resume, (B) a writing sample of a story/blog post you have done or have created for this opportunity and (C) your class/work schedule. All of this needs to be submitted to [email protected] by THURSDAY at NOON. We will be doing interviews in Lexington this weekend and picking the staff soon thereafter. Get to work, kiddos.

— Don’t forget about the big pep rally in Louisville for Tuesday night’s game. The UK Alumni Club of Greater Louisville will host a pep rally from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm at the Kentucky Expo Center’s North Wing Lobby. The Pep Rally will include the UK cheerleaders and pep band, giveaways, free face painting, games, music, videos, cash bar, food and more. Admission is free for UK Alumni Association with a valid membership card and children under 12. Admission is only $5 for non-members. See you there?

Article written by Drew Franklin

40 Comments for Freedom Hall Game’s Tuesday News and Views

1. DudeWithTheSTACHE
    11:58 pm January 2, 2012 Permalink

Is the game just on TV locally? ESPNU? Holla.

2. wolfewiz
    12:01 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

3. Sir Cleggalous Blue
    12:03 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

4. Captain Hook
    12:11 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

First!!!

5. horny uk fan
    1:25 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

The game is being played Tuesday night, not Wednesday! It’s OK, I’m here all night Drew.

6. Drowsyone
    1:34 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

I nominate the crazy, drunk, crying girl blogger on The Bachelor for the new KSR site. I think I love her, and it might make her move to my town!

7. phrakture
    1:42 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

This tells you everything you need to know about Westphal and his coaching ability.

8. BPsycho
    1:47 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

“Matt sent not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six,”

I see what you did there.

#1 Nice stache, I think it’s on FSS.

#2 #3 #4 Survey says! http://sofail.com/images/fail/Survey_Says_You_Fail.jpg

9. BPsycho
    2:09 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

#7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDW1-gigMaw&feature=related

I love me some Teke Evans he had a few words of great wisdom that Cousins will soon realize : You get paid to play basketball and you just gotta go out there and play.

No matter how pr***ish Paul Westphal is he’s the coach and you just gotta do your job. A very big reason the NBA has so many haters, It’s a job….. Cousins wants to win, point blank period. He’s got a college game mindset. Westphal doesn’t give a **** about Sacremento and just wants to make it through the year without getting the boot. He’s terrible, tuuurrrrible.

In that video notice Freddete says “We are 100% behind Demarcus”

10. phrakture
    2:44 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

9) I posted that vid last night lol. All signs point to Westphal being a terrible Coach. Yeah, Big Cuz isn’t going about it the right way. Doesn’t change the fact that he’s right.

11. Hoodfor3
    5:21 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

I’m pretty sure those were not Cuz’s words. If you heard the interview he and Wall gave on ESPN, you would know neither guys are capable of making a statement like this. I’m guessing his agent wrote it.

12. Truth
    5:43 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

If UK wants the fans to show up to Freedom Hall, they should not charge $35 to watch UK beat down a juco team.

13. Calipari'sInYourEar
    5:49 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

Kyle Anderson made the biggest mistake of his life by picking a program that isn’t worth a pile of crap anymore.

I don’t feel sorry for him and feel that the losses he will suffer while at UCLA will be a good life lesson for the kid.

1. He’s not nearly as good as Shabazz
    2. He should have waited longer to make a smarter decision
    3. If he likes Shabazz so much he should have just followed his decision when it’s made

Since he preempted Shabazz’s decision with his own, he was telling the world (and Shabazz) that he’s the leader and wants Shabazz to be the follower. This is the big leagues and Kyle Anderson is no longer the best player on the court. Sorry son, you just made your last move as a leader.

14. Bledsoe's Biceps
    6:09 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

1) Seriously? You are a fan and you don’t know how to find out what stations will be televising the game? You obviously have internet access, so look it up.

15. Matt's Mom
    6:38 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

Anyone that finds The Bachelor worth 7 tweets has issues…

16. dave
    6:45 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

$88 for 2 tickets if you get them online. dont want to hear cal complaining this is the fans’ fault for a bad showing. if they’re gonna charge that much then it should be a better opponent. point blank, period.

17. gcat4496
    6:55 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

#16. I wouldn’t pay that much unless the seats are in the lower level, Weaker opponents mean the Cats will comfortably lead by 20-40 throughout the game.

18. bluecat
    6:59 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

To be a KSR college writer, do I have to be 6-8 with shoes or without?

19. Dave in Kabul
    7:06 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

I gotta go with the Marquette upset of the ‘Cuse. Marquette is good for one or two big upset games a season.

20. Dave in Kabul
    7:09 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

20th

21. Dave in Kabul
    7:19 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

Twenty FIRST!!!

22. barn
    7:23 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

13)good analysis. your #3 kinda sums it up

23. markp
    7:35 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

FYI, the game would be sold out in Rupp only because it is grouped in a season package with many good games. If this is the best they can do for us Louisville area fans I would rather watch it on TV or listen to it on the radio. I will be there this year and was there for ND last year but if they get another upcake like this next year count me out.

24. Burly
    7:47 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

Again the media outside of Oscar Combs never point out that games like tonight sell out in Lexington for one reason….SEASON TICKETS. No one would want to see this game for $44 when it is on live TV and had a choice.

As a UK fan in L-ville…take the game to Lexington if that is what you are offering. Force the season ticket people to set through this on a cold Tuesday night … first night back to work for many.

25. Kwildcat in Ville
    8:02 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

Cal thanks for the bulls!t statement. We Louisville UK fans have seen this game crawl into the gutter from a great Notre Dame and IU series to ALR and he has the gall to call us out for not being interested. Let’s get your head outta the air (or the air outta your head Cal.

26. That's Live Action!
    8:05 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

Maybe they would sell Freedom Hall out if they played someone a little more appealing than Arkansas-Little Rock! But I agree with #24, this would not sell out in Lexington either if it wasn’t for the season ticket holders.

27. Kwildcat in Ville
    8:06 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

This game sucks and you have a major bowl game against it….and you throw it in our face? Where is Barnhart to get the IU neutral court deal done or find something else. Lexington is just an hour away Cal, we have no problem driving there to see a decent game….because many of us do anyway!!! Your staement is very Pitino-esque (ouch hurts to even say that!!)

28. usaf sofmx
    8:13 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

I see all of your pain about the prices and the played team but i’ll be traveling from japan to germany to my next duty location and only am able to see one game en route. im actually going out of my way to see this game and its unfortunately against Tenn on jan 31. I’m just curious about most of the people complaining about the prices do you even go to rupp? i know some of you do and ok, but for those of you who just like to complain, come on nothing is going to change, it is either going to go away or people are going to fill it up. The louisville game really just seems like a promo thing and for the lazy people that dont want to travel the 90 min to lex. I used to travel 2 hours to go when i did live in ky. but if its because youve been laid off and have to support a family then i understand, otherwise quit smoking for a month so you can save up they money to go. Anyway its not about me or traveling its about cheering on your team and the love u have for your team…go CATS

29. usaf sofmx
    8:32 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

hmm my comment was deleted….weird

30. Al's IndiCats
    8:59 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

I salute you 28! In the mid 70s when I was stationed at McConnel AFB in Ks. I used to drive 45 minutes one way to listen to Cawood call the game (because WHAS was a very faint signal)in all kinds of Kansas weather.

31. Joe
    9:07 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

Anyone going to have a link to the game for those of us without ESPN 3 or Fox Sports South?

32. bmac
    9:16 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

Does tonight’s game count towards our home winning streak? I would presume yes.

33. 3 fan
    9:20 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

I have to agree with those gripping about the price and opponent.

UK needs to look at their scheduling. If you want cupcakes, thats not a problem. Give the instate schools that bump. There is no reason UK shouldn’t play Morehead State and Eastern Kentucky every year. And when Northern Kentucky gets D-1 status, give them an annual game. None will ask for a return home game (ie WKU and Murray)and its a good payday for instate teams.

34. TrinityPills
    9:43 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

Wish Bazz would turn his conversations with Anderson around and get him to UK!

35. rixter719
    10:47 am January 3, 2012 Permalink

@32 that’s a good question..they say UK has won what..44 straight at home, including 43 in Rupp?…how can that be? They’ve played 2 games under Cal in Freedom Hall, and if you think back UK won it’s last ‘home game’ under Billy G, in the NIT in Memorial Auditorium…….

36. mudcreekmark
    12:11 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Does no one on here want to talk about the big issue facing the Cats at this point, Marquis Teague is a selfish player that needs to learn to play for his team not for his draft status. It amazes me that these kids don’t ralize that if they play the game the way it is supposed to be played, as a team, that they will “get theirs” easier than trying to force every play trying to “get theirs” on their own. Teagues stats would be alot better because (1) he would get more assists by playing this way (2) he would score just as much if not more and his shooting % would be much better because he would be shooting better shots.
    Doron Lamb is a perfect example.

37. Joker Blows
    12:15 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Matt watching the Bachelor doesn’t surprise me at all. Matt, did you ever play anything competitively?

38. Kwildcat in the Ville
    1:02 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

re: Louisville ‘Game’ – the real sellout is the moderators who aren’t printing negative feedback on Coach Cal’s comments if we don’t sellout this game…..rideekulous! That sucks.

39. Kwildcat in the Ville
    1:04 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Oops. computer error…all opinions expressed regarding 38. Apologizes and GO CATS!

40. jurich hater
    2:12 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I was walking to the ticket office at KFEC and was mugged by tom jurich who said “I can’t let you buy a ticket because if the game is not a sell out Kentucky won’t play in the ville anymore.”