Frank Martin loves him some Mr. Worldwide

Frank Martin is really trying hard. The new South Carolina coach is throwing out little barbs at his competitors on Twitter (how’s talking to those future NBA players going, Frank?), getting the Gamecock fanbase riled up, and…going to Pitbull concerts? Yesterday, Martin tweeted this picture from the Pitbull concert in Atlanta:

Martin also tweeted that he wants his players “2 play w the same passion w which (Pitbull) performs,” which I hope doesn’t mean we can expect the Gamecocks to sit in clubs wearing sunglasses and drinking Dr. Pepper (although that would be hilarious). The link between the two goes farther than Dr. Pepper though: Pitbull (aka Armando Cristian Perez) and Martin are both American-born sons of Cuban parents. And, although he’s not on the level of a Jay-Z or a Drake, Pitbull is pretty popular with the kids these days (in fact, I think he’s in about seventeen songs on the radio right now).

What do you make of Martin’s Pitbull obsession? Is it an attempt at tapping into the minds of today’s youth or a genuine love for Pitbull’s vaguely latin beats? Regardless, it looks like we going to be hearing more “Mr. Worldwide” and less “Sandstorm” in Colonial Life Arena this winter.

28 Comments for Frank Martin loves him some Mr. Worldwide

1. UK Wildcat
    1:01 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

I was really hoping Pitbull would be eaten by a bear in Alaska. He needs to die.

2. GoCats2
    1:05 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

I know more Pitbull songs than Jay-Z and Drake songs combined but that is probably due to the 6 kids I have under the age of 14.

3. what the what
    1:14 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Where Frank Martin’s tactics were revered at Kansas State, they will be the laughing stock of the SEC.

4. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:17 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Pitbull is the worst rapper alive. Hey Pitbull, you can’t rhyme “Kodak” with “Kodak.” I dare you to find me one Pitbull song where he doesn’t reference Miami or 305. We all know where you’re from dude, we get it.

The fact that Martin thinks this guy is cool shows his lack of touch with the younger crowd. Anyone who listens to a lot of hip-hop, and most 18 year-old hoopers do, know that he’s just another “bubble gum rapper,” not one who actually says anything in his songs.

5. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    1:19 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

It’s called taking a play out of Cal’s playbook but trying way too hard.

6. SteveM
    1:20 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

He’s trying to get some pub for an otherwise untalked-about program.

7. jwill
    1:21 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

thats a shock! frank wanting to find out more about this guy called pitbull. he’s really mad because thats not his nickname.

8. old bbn
    1:25 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Just give them both Rings and they will be part of the BBN. Go CATS

9. Devastation INC
    1:28 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

7- exactly. He is trying to give himself a name

10. kentucky1159
    1:43 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Pitbull is the Nickelback of Hip Hop

11. Pitbull
    1:43 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

DIE

12. jl
    1:45 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

pitbull is far more famous than drake on an international scale. i still can’t tell you a drake song. but i guess in the bubble that is the USA, the best ballers are black americans and not latinos so it’d make more sense to embrace drake.

13. old bbn
    1:52 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

#12 what a shame when the best BB program in the nation feels it has to EMBRACE this DrakeDizzyDumbazz. We are UK and we should not have to stoop to that level. Come on Cal you are better than that.

14. Gold Standard
    2:10 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

diale!

15. BPsycho
    2:10 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

If he gets em some coke his players will act like Frank Martin and Pitbull at the same time, championship!

#12 Pitbull sucks so hard man. I don’t like either of them but Pitbull is a disgrace to music. And that’s saying a lot because music sucks atm.

16. burger
    2:10 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Frank Martin just sent Pitbull a “last place in the SEC East” ring.

17. BPsycho
    2:12 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

#4 Nice one.

I should have read all comments before posting cause it looks like you guys already got it covered. He’s so turrrible I’m not gonna be able to get it out of my head for the rest of the day honestly.

18. Gold Standard
    2:12 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

The very sound of Pitbull’s voice makes me want to rip my ears off

19. SexnNursinHomes
    2:28 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

I like Pitbull’s song “Informer” lick ya boom boom down..

20. hahaha
    2:29 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

If any young aau player embraces pitbull more than drake or jay-z I will eat my own foot. This just goes to show that cal is sooo far ahead in terms of understanding the youth basketball talent culture in comparison to other coaches.

21. Reality
    2:33 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

19 – hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

22. old bbn is old_school
    3:13 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

rings are for women and married men to remove before they go out to cheat on their wives. back in my day the only rings we had were fire rings…to cook the saber tooth tigers we had to kill for food. those were the good days when hunter gatherers stayed around the for 4 years. No one and done hunters back then!

23. Head Bussa
    4:12 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

3 — Laughing stock of the SEC? Hardly. Frank Martin will soon have South Carolina into a consistent Top-25 team. Also, I’m tired of you racists saying Kentucky basketball is above embracing a black entertainer. Go back to your shack in ButtCrack, Kentucky because people in the real world don’t want to deal with you anymore. I will state this: Kentucky basketball is certainly above you racist scumbags.

24. jpgott2
    4:47 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

I can not hate him for playing the game, but at the end of the day, it is still just Pitbull.

25. cubalibre
    4:47 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Everybody is missing the point. This is not about actually liking Pitbull or rap or anything. This is about Martin’s and Pitbull’s shared Cuban heritage. Martin wants some sort of Cuban credibility… He wants people to know his background. Don’t know why or if that helps him or anything.

26. burger
    5:22 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Frank Martin thinks Pitbull is brilliant. Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

27. Country Bumpkins
    11:53 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Some UK fans follow blindly its sad, Drake is not by any means on JayZ level and JayZ is only where hes at because all the real rappers died in the 90s. Drake is from a rich jewish Canadian family. If Vanilla Ice wanted to rap again he could, the industry has become a joke.

28. Cats4Life
    11:14 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Who is Pitbull? Never even heard of him. Lame.