Frances Bay’s Wednesday News and Views

frances-bay

I’ve got nothing against Virginia Bennett.  I just have a thing for a woman in a KISS mask.  That’s one of the many things that made Happy Gilmore’s Grandma – known in real life as Frances Bay – one of the more memorable characters in a film that was full of them.  Bay passed away last week at the age of 92, but she gets her recognition on KSR tonight.  May you rest in peace, Frances Bay, and may you finally get that glass of warm milk.

A few UK notes…

– The neverending game of conference realignment continued to make following college sports a fairly miserable experience again Tuesday.  There was at least a little news and part of it impacted our fine sports programs in Lexington as the Birmingham News broke a story that said Missouri is apparently bound for the SEC, shifting Auburn to the SEC East.  Of course, this was denied publicly by the SEC.  But ESPN is running with it and that’s legit enough for us.  Besides giving famed local alums Pat Forde and Mary Jo Perino a chance to watch their Tigers within the state lines, the addition of Missouri gives the conference footing in the St. Louis television market, which they coveted, and makes for an even 14 teams.  As far as Auburn’s move to the SEC East, it pretty much makes things a little harder on the football side of things for the Cats and guarantees a payday during basketball season for the Tigers.  Win-win for them, I suppose.

– Meanwhile, the Big East powers that be met Tuesday night to figure out what their next moves would be in this whole mess.  Much like the guys at my high school that didn’t have dates to prom, so they just stood outside and smoked cigarettes, the leaders of the Big East insisted they were way cooler and more badass than anyone else and planned to stick together.  The meeting only involved the football schools:  Louisville, Rutgers, USF, Cincinnati and Connecticut, but the plan appears to ride it out together at the moment.  And that was literally a moment because minutes after that news broke….

– We received word from the LA Times that The Pac-12 will not expand.  That means Oklahoma and Texas are still staying in that old fashioned midwestern love affair within the Big 12 and the conference could be looking to poach.  They lost Nebraska and Colorado last year and Texas A&M and, apparently, Missouri this year.  To survive, they need to find schools.

– One of those schools will be Louisville.  This isn’t a breaking news report.  This isn’t being reported as an absolute fact.  I’m just putting on my Nostrabeisner hat and predicting that Louisville will go to the Big 12.  And I’ll predict that we’ll hear about it this week.  Maybe Wednesday.  But it’s just a hunch.  If this does happen, expect Clint Hurtt’s neck to be placed in the North and his gut to be placed in the South.

– On a completely different note, today is decsion day for a pair of UK basketball recruits.  I think.  We know for certain that power forward Perry Ellis will pick his college Wednesday afternoon at his school and it is not expected to be Kentucky.  Most seem to think it is Kansas, but nearly everyone agrees that the Cats are likely out.  On a more positive note, Archie Goodwin will also apparently announce his college choice – if we’re to believe his “it’s going down” Tweet.  There’s an infinitely better chance that he ends up picking the Cats than Ellis.  He’s also looking at Arkansas and Memphis.

– If Goodwin has indeed bumped up his announcement and will pick Kentucky Wednesday, you have to wonder just how much the very public visitation of Gary Harris played into the change of schedule.  John Calipari met with Harris, the nation’s second-rated shooting guard, Monday night and the internet was full of stories Tuesday about the very serious interest between the parties.  Harris and Goodwin could coexist in a Calipari offense, so a verbal from Goodwin wouldn’t signal the end of the increasing interest, but the increasing interest could be the reason for a verbal.  Recruiting, gotta love it.

– We play Florida Saturday.  In case you didn’t know.

– My wife made me watch the season premiere of Glee tonight.  It’s a weekly beating I’ve become accustomed to.  But we watched The New Girl afterward and I came away impressed.  I thought it was pretty clever and enjoyable.  Then I wondered if that’s not something I should admit.  I need you to stear me into the right direction.  I’ll be watching Sons of Anarchy to make up for it while you figure it out.

– On a more serious note, ESPN’s Dari Nowkhah and his wife lost their newborn child Tuesday night.  Twitter was full of people sending him well wishes (@ESPNDariNowkhah if you want to partake) and he sent out a link to an account of what has happened over the past few weeks.  It’s truly heartbreaking.  Prayers to their family.

That’s it for now.  Make sure you stick around all day as we get closer and closer to the NCAA trading deadline.  Will your favorite conference pick up the home run hitter they so desperately need?  Will your school get traded to a contender and get that extension they’ve been holding out for?  We’ll sort it out.  As usual, Matt Jones will be by at 10am to get the fun going with Kentucky Sports Radio on Talk Radio 1080.  From there, it will only get awesomer.

See you in a few…

Article written by Thomas Beisner

21 Comments for Frances Bay’s Wednesday News and Views

1. Sean
    11:58 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

FIRST. Also, reports are that Goodwin just committed. Oh yes, the pieces are falling together. Go Cats.

2. UK vs UF
    12:01 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

Selling: UK vs UF 4th row tickets (2) and a parking pass (B3)
    Email Offers: [email protected]

3. bencat
    12:22 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

Mrs. Bay was also the lady that Jerry Sienfeld stole the “marble rye” loaf of bread from. Great skit. Mr. Goodwin gets the ball rolling for the years 1st recruit to commit!!

4. Les Miles
    12:24 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

Matt, in your eyes what could Dan Beebe have done differently? The Big-12 is in the middle of America and geographically each team is ripe for the picking. I’m not sure another commissioner could have stopped some of the teams from bolting-especially Nebraska and Colorado. I will say that Dan Beebe has been too mum on the whole situation but to quote Bob Knight, “if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it”.

What I find funny about Oklahoma wanting Beebe out as commissioner is they, not Texas, originally wanted Beebe hired as commissioner.

5. australiacatfan
    12:27 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

I hate missouri. They should make it into a parking lot.

“It will be a cold day in hell before I recognize Missouri!”
    -Abe Simpson

6. Hal
    12:28 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

you could trouble me for a warm glass of shut the hell up. now you will go to sleep or i will put you to sleep. check out the nametag, grandma you’re in my world now.

7. Kirbdaddy
    3:09 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

It’s Virginia VENIT, not Bennett.

8. Calipari'sInYourEar
    4:25 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

Hey she’s showing some hot skin… Definitely 1, then 1, then 1 again!

9. SexnNursinHomes
    6:36 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

I’d hit it

10. Some Guy in Kentucky
    7:52 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

I hear that the Big East members that are going to be left have applied for a name change to the “Little East”.

11. Major
    8:34 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

I predict the Big 12 will survive. It’s the Big East that’s toast.

12. DA
    8:40 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

Everyone is ignoring you, but The New Girl is awesome. Love me some Zooey.

13. cubiesfan05
    8:40 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

Auburn moving to the east is going to make the long standing rivalry game with Alabama a bi-yearly thing. Not so good for the SEC if you ask me.

14. B
    9:01 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

12 – I agree. I was forced to watch it and was extremely surprised. It really is a funny show and you always gotta love a Wayan brother.

15. truBLU
    9:43 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

One of the true classic movie lines of our generation.
    Grandma: Sir, can I trouble you for a warm glass of milk? It helps me go to sleep.
    Nursing Home Orderly: You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up. Now, you will go to sleep or I will put you to sleep. Check out the name tag. You’re in my world now, grandma.

16. GummyBear
    9:48 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

13.. Why? We play MSU every year.

17. GummyBear
    9:50 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

15.. Actually, I prefer;
    Shooter: Quit fraternizing with the help, Gilmore!

18. bmack
    9:52 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

13 – no, Alabama will be Auburn’s designated “rivalry” team in the west and they’ll play every year, just like UK-MSU, TN-AL, Miss-Vandy, etc. They may, however, drop one of the non-rivalry east-west games to make up for the fact that each team will now have one additional game within their half of the division. So, for instance, UK would lose either the Miss or LSU game this year, but keep MSU (since they are our Western “rival”).

19. Dr. Dick Fitzenbutts
    9:53 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

13- Simply moving over to the East doesn’t mean they can’t preserve that rivalry each season. Just as 16 says…

20. SECAT
    11:12 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

Beez New Girl was pretty phenomenal. Zooey is incredible always, but the show started making me think maybe the KSR gang needs a ‘Douchebag Jar’ for the compound.

21. NBA league pass
    12:37 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

15) I tell people I’m going to give them a “warm glass of shut the hell up” all the time because of that line. Definitely a classic!