What better 2 topics to discuss while on the Dan Patrick show than Brittney Griner and Nerlens Noel? That’s exactly what Rex Chapman did yesterday.

Mark Cuban did what Mark Cuban does best and caused a big stir last week when he poked around the idea of drafting Brittney Griner to the NBA. Griner will go down in history as one of the most, if not the most dominant player in women’s college basketball history. Most are calling it a publicity stunt, but Cuban certainly sparked a bit of conversation about the topic. Former Wildcat Rex Chapman, who became a regular during the March Madness television coverage, went on the Dan Patrick show yesterday to discuss the issue.  Chapman is firmly in the camp of those who believe Griner can’t play in the NBA. I don’t think he’s alone, either.

“Look, I really appreciate what she’s done. She had a phenomenal career…She’s a good player, but she may not even be the most dominant big player of all-time. Let’s be honest, could Brittney Griner have held her own in that McDonald’s game last week? The best women’s player right now may be that freshman from UCONN. People always bring this stuff up this time of year…could the best women’s team beat a bad men’s team? It just can’t happen.”

Patrick then asked if the best high school boys basketball team in Kentucky played against the best women’s college basketball team, who would win?

“The high school kids. Honestly, I think the women’s game…the game we watched the other night, it’s more on par with very good JV high school boys basketball. (Cuban) It’s PR. It’s in Dallas, it’s in Texas. That’s the only thing it can be. I said the other day, let’s take a marginal NBA prospect, 6-8 NBA prospect, male. The guy I threw out was CJ Leslie. Brittney Griner averaged 24 and 9 this past year. What does CJ average if he plays the full slate of women’s hoops this year? 60 and 40? I don’t know.”

Rex Chapman also said that in his prime, if he had been at Louisville playing against UCONN the other night in the national championship– he would have scored 60-70 points. “It’s a different game. It just comes down to speed and athleticism. And again, I think Brittney Griner is a phenomenal basketball player. It’s just a different game.”

Chapman went on to field a few questions about Nerlens Noel and whether or not he should enter the NBA draft.

“Personally, I’d love to see him (Noel) stay, just because if he comes back…he’s coming off major knee surgery. He still has work to do. He’s a great kid, works hard. He’s got more work to do, especially as an offensive basketball player. I don’t think he should (go pro), but I think he can and can succeed. And I think he will go.”

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

18 Comments for Former Wildcat Rex Chapman weighs in on the Griner to NBA talk AND Nerlens Noel to NBA talk

1. Dusten
    4:10 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

Took a lot of balls to say that. But it’s true.

2. GetAGrip
    4:17 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

The truth isn’t mean, it’s the truth. Some things are true whether you believe them or not.

3. Dave
    4:19 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

Rex is exactly right, but his shorts are oh so wrong.

4. Viren
    4:20 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

I think Noel will return one more year. Book it–

5. NOEL RETURNING
    4:28 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

If anyone deserves to play with focused talent it’s Nerlens Noel.

Sit Cauley Stein on the bench so he can blog his drama opera to his hearts content. His vagina is bigger than Griners (I bet $100000 right here, right now).

Let Noel be the center and Dakari see what it’s going to be like to have to face NBA level professionalism.

Noel gets his ring, is even more coveted as the #1 pick, and all the college shot block records get “Noel”ed.

6. LaRueBigBlue
    4:29 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

@4 Your insane. Would take the opportunity of havin Wiggins right out the door, not to mention Nerlens wouldnt play till around January. Which could screw team chemistry by that point in the season. Just seems it would be best for Nerlens to go to the NBA for both him and the school.

7. bluristhurr
    4:29 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

Maybe had some of Griners balls that were cut off at birth! Chick was a dude at least she sounds and looks the part IMO

8. Hmmmm?
    4:31 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

I know this is highly unlikely but do we have enough scholarships to have both wiggins and Noel?

9. LaRueBigBlue
    4:33 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

@5 Im so tired hearing of people saying Nerlens would go first next year, when obviously he wouldn’t. Sure he would be a surefire top 5 pick, but why pass up number 1. Not to mention he would only have about 2-3 months to get re-acclimated to the game. All I can say is thanks Nerlens for givin 150% all season long, and good luck in the nba.

10. LaRueBigBlue
    4:34 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

@8 pretty sure we have 13 scholarship players on roster. for next year. So if we get wiggins, bye bye john hood.

11. Aerosmith
    4:35 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

DUDE looks like a lady!

12. Ruppeat Offender
    4:39 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

Rex is on the money on all points – except for one. If Rex in his prime had played in the women’s championship game, he’d have scored 100 points – mostly on fast break dunks.

13. Dr. Tom
    4:47 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

I agree with you Rex. Just talking with my brother-in-law the other day about how you would fill the Union County High gym when you played for Apollo. But I have to say that photo does not support your image of “Sexy Rexy”!!!!!!

14. Ibescootch
    4:51 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

Why is ANYONE on Mark Cubans side? Like, anyone in the world? Rex is right on everything he said, and it isn’t mean, it’s just reality. Griner might be able to make a small JUCO guys team, but to even consider her in the NBA is laughable. I don’t even think she’ll dominate in the WNBA. At least not til she puts on about 30 lbs.

15. Biff Switters
    4:52 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

If, not likely, but if Nerlens comes back–foregoing the potential #1 Draft spot–he positions himself to become the most beloved to wear the uniform since Calipari took over, and maybe ever. That act says, “I like the Kentucky uniform and the tutelage of their top man more than the glitz and glamour of the NBA…or that at least I’d like to have more of it. He’s the case-in-point of why the top talent only stays one year…because of the risk of injury. Now that he’s been injured, if he were to say with his actions, yeah injury is risky, but playing basketball at the University of Kentucky for John Calipari is better than the alternatives,” that would be truly groundbreaking and the best possible statement to any and all current and future recruits. I don’t think he stays, but if he does, National Championship aside, it would speak to how RIGHT Mitch Barnhart was in making that hire happen, it would also seem to suggest that he just might (DID) have done the same thing with his most recent hire. KEEP IT UP COACH STOOPS!!! You’re doing everything I always wanted Joker to do. I love Kentucky now more than ever! It’s good to be a member of the BBN!! GO CATS!!

16. Wildcatsteeler
    5:43 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

He’s totally right. There is absolutely no way a woman can play in the NBA. None. I live in Louisville and used to go to their campus gym and play basketball all the time. Their men and women players used to come in there and play pick up a lot. I played against their women players several times and it was a joke. I would go right around them like they were stuck in concrete. The speed and strength just isn’t there.

17. Hugh D'Pohl
    8:56 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

What is truth is: “Griner will go down…”

Likely ona mufn.

18. Dunne Barrcourt
    9:39 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

KENTUCKY is incredibly fortunate to have his Rexness as a ‘member’.

But, the King is: Parental rights.

In this case, so important, so completely instructive, and properly aligning.

I argue that, father Wayne….provided proper counsel.

The kid dunne well.