Former Wildcat NBA Round-Up

The college basketball season is nearing the halfway point of conference play and we’re finally starting to separate the elite teams from the pretenders. While a handful are flourishing and others are fading, some are harder to judge.  Kentucky just so happens to be one of those teams in the later category.  While the roster is undoubtedly filled with talent, this group hasn’t been able to put together a multiple game stretch of dominant performances over quality teams. It’s frustrating at times being a fan, but history suggests the end result could be very different as many players under John Calipari have drastically changed as the season progressed.  Many of the players who progressed now find themselves in the world’s premier basketball league. Currently, there are 17 former Wildcats active in the Association, many of whom are having stand-out seasons.  It’s difficult to keep up with all the former Kentucky greats, so we here at KSR thought it would be convenient if all their numbers happened to be in the same place. The below chart contains all basic player data, alongside and efficiency metric created by NBA.com which is similar to Player Efficiency Rating.

Now for some notes:

A change in scenery may have been exactly what Tayshaun Prince needed.  In his first game with the Memphis Grizzlies, Prince dropped 14 points on 7-11 shooting from the field.  Not only did he score his highest point total since January 22nd, but he also acquired his third highest in-game field goal percentage of the season, shooting 63.6%.

It has been somewhat quiet on the Eric Bledsoe front recently due to the Clippers’ late January/early February struggles, but don’t let that lack of noise fool you.  Bledsoe has scored at least ten points in his last 7 games, including Sunday’s 23 point effort against the Celtics.

Nazr Mohammed is in his 14th NBA season, but judging from the numbers, it may be his last. On the season, he’s averaging less than 1 point per game and is only managing to shoot 20% from the field.  Mohammed has played for 8 teams during his NBA tenure.

Because of a collision suffered in Saturday’s game against the Houtson Rockets, Michael-Kidd Gilchrist will likely miss Charlotte’s next two games. While concussed, his X-Rays and CAT scan came back negative.

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

16 Comments for Former Wildcat NBA Round-Up

1. Herm
    7:12 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Anybody know if there is any teams talking to Azubuike? He was having a nice start to his career before he got injured.

2. Catlanta31
    7:26 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Teague showing he was a fool. Lamb may be out of the league for good and Jones, well he was as good as he was going to get. Hello Europe for all three

3. 9in2014
    7:34 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

I am happy we had Teague last year. But, outside of having more talent around him, Teague really is no better than a guy like peyton siva.

4. duckeastwood
    7:37 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

this is a great idea, but a horrible column…will somebody take it over, Jonathan Schuette, you suck at this.

5. JKUK
    7:46 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

@3 Don’t ever say something like that again. Now go to your room.

6. jeremy
    7:53 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m sure some people are really interested in following these guys in the NBA but I’m not. Most of these guys just used UK as a stopping off point and were never really committed to UK. Guys like Rondo, Knight, Bledsoe, Orton. But some on the other hand were true Blue. Darius, 2Pat, Bogans and others. But the NBA just doesn’t excite me.

Wish most of them well but I would be just fine if I never heard of Rondo or Orton ever again.

I know this is a lot of work so I don’t want to come off critical of the writer its just not of much interest to me.

7. Rae
    7:55 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

2. I think Jones would flourish on a different team. He just got rooked into the too-many-forwards Houston experiment. Lamb and Teague would have been lottery picks this year.

8. Rixter
    8:01 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Cal’s first UK team, the one that DIDN’T make the Final Four, is averaging 57.6 points per game in the NBA

9. UKBlue
    8:04 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Word is Bledsoe is going to get traded to the Celtics.

10. bachelor
    8:11 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

wheres the bachelor live blog matttttttt???????

11. BNClay
    8:33 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Bledsoe is gonna be a starter somewhere soon. He is good enough. I don’t know his contract status though. If he goes to the C’s will it be a 1 year bridge until Rondo is recovered, or do they intended to sign him long term and trade Rondo for some other talent?

I can’t believe Nazi is still in the league, he is ancient.

Again for everyone one complaining about guys going to the Dleague, that is not a bad thing for young players. If you are Eric Daniels in the Dleague your not getting back to the bigs, if your Lamb, Jones, Miller (was in Dleague), the spending some time getting more clock and working your game so you can play some real minutes in the real game, not a problem.

I saw Liggins in mop up duty the other day, I thought he was gonna get a dunk on a run out, but flipped it over to a teammate for a easy layup. I was hoping for the highlight slam over the defender. On another team I think he could play some more, but with Martin and Sephalosa (sp?) he ain’t getting in.

12. CAUKFAN
    8:37 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Boogie on top……..haters keep hating

13. gsdgs
    9:02 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Bledsoe is tearing it up in chris paul’s place.

14. Stats genius
    9:55 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

And the best thing is no Big Blue Alums have committed a turnover this season. Also, once you are injured or booted off a team, your stats automatically disappear from the record books.

15. wabaco
    11:20 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

@6: Just to clarify, Rondo is from Louisville and also played at UK for two years unlike the ones that you listed with him as “using UK”. While at UK, I remember Rondo being a very selfish player but still he’s a CAT. I can totally agree with the claim of Orton seeing as how he didn’t finish the semester but as I recall Bledsoe alongside Boogie were more into the Louisville game that year than anyone I can remember. Everyone you mentioned as “true blue” aren’t stars in the league like Rondo and Bledsoe. Patterson, Miller and Bogans are all role players and although I was born and raised in southeastern ky, I’d leave UK after a year if the price was right. Stop hating.

16. KyKid
    10:25 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

@ 6 – I get it, we all wish players would stay 4 years, shed tears for My Old Ky Home on senior night, etc. I also wish gas wasn’t $3.65 a gallon and you could still buy a new car for less than I bought my first house. Look, times have changed. Unless you are extremely wealthy already, if you had a kid in school who was going to be in the first round of NBA draft, I GUARANTEE you would advise him to go. Too much $$$$ at stake. Saying otherwise just isn’t realistic.