Former Wildcat ace traded to Minnesota

This baseball off season there are plenty of moves to be made. Headliners include who is going to pay Texas Rangers star slugger Josh Hamilton, if the New York Yankees plan to trade Alex Rodriguez — or if any team wants him, and how the Boston Red Sox will rebound with a new manager.

Thursday afternoon saw two smaller-profile teams striking a deal that sent former Kentucky pitcher Alex Meyer from Washington to Minnesota.

This story is from KSR College writer David Mulloy who covers the Kentucky baseball team for the site. Stuart Hammer contributed.

**********

Alex Meyer’s baseball career just hit the express lane to the majors after the Washington Nationals traded him to the Minnesota Twins for outfielder Denard Span. Meyer was the Nationals No. 2 prospect and rated No. 50 in all of baseball. The team drafted Meyer in the first round of the 2011 MLB draft with the 23rd overall pick.

In his first professional season, Meyer split time between Class-A Hagerstown Sun and Advanced-A Potomac Nationals, notching an overall record of 10-6 in 25 starts with a 2.86 ERA and 139 strikeouts.

At Kentucky, Meyer pitched three seasons with a career record of 13-12 and a 4.72 ERA but had a breakout junior season, earning a 7-5 record in 14 starts with a 2.94 ERA and 110 strikeouts.

Now that Meyer is clear of the pitching log jam that was ahead of him in the Nationals organization, it is conceivable that he could make his major league debut next fall as part of the rebuilding Twins’ 40 man roster. It seems likely he could be on the club’s opening day roster by 2014.

“It caught me off guard, but I’m really excited about it,” Meyer told MLB.com by phone after the deal was done. “It’s going to be a great opportunity for me. I’m thankful for what the Nationals helped me out with. I’m looking forward to getting ready for Spring Training with the Twins.”

The Twins first priority this off season is acquiring pitching, and with a 97-mph fastball and a slider in the upper-80’s, Meyer becomes the Twins No. 3 prospect. He is expected to start next season with Double-A New Britain.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

9 Comments for Former Wildcat ace traded to Minnesota

1. St. Paul Raiders
    3:04 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure people will bash you/KSR for this post, but I enjoy reading about the baseball team.

2. lexiladyrr
    3:16 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

The Twins organization has been good to Kentucky, with 5 former Cats currently in the system. Some would argue Meyer is now their #1 prospect.

3. Coal keeps UKs lights on
    3:16 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

Some on here think that every sport is something that takes away from football. Barnhart has done a great job as a whole with what he has to operate on. Baseball is anther sport that a made leaps under Barnhart’s watch. I just wish some would take the time to see all the obsticalls Mitch has to deal with to get to facility upgrades they complain about. There is just so much you can ask of your boosters in these tuff economic times.
    With our coal industry in the shape it is now, I think it’s going to get a lot harder for UK to upgrade much. For all those who think that coal has nothing to do with anything look at our boosters and where they make their money. Coal has built UK and our sports programs. When they have their protest, the protesters should know just what they’re protesting.

4. lexiladyrr
    3:20 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

*pitching prospect anyway.

5. Coal keeps UKs lights on
    3:20 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

#2 after the way Ben Revere has played I would say Kentucky has been good to the Twins. I agree with you.

6. lawnorder
    3:38 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

Traded to Minnesota? That damn Tubby!

7. Kanye Twitty
    3:45 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t yall make KSR college so that we didn’t have to read this crap?

8. lexiladyrr
    3:49 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

#5 Definitely. Now if only he could break that homerless streak!

9. Common Sense
    4:56 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I’m a huge Nats fan….this is sad news to me 🙁