Former Kentucky football player Shomari Moore shot last night

photo-1

According to WKYT, Former Kentucky cornerback Shomari Moore was shot in the chest last night just before 10 p.m. on Winchester and Elkhorn Road. Moore was able to drive himself to Winchester and Owens Road after being shot and flag down a police officer. Moore was then escorted to UK Hospital, where he is being treated for his injuries, the severity of which are unknown.

Lexington Police are currently still searching for the two gunmen, whom Moore said approached him in his car and shot him in the chest: “He said they flagged him down, and as soon as he rolled his window down, one of them shot him in the chest. He sped in his vehicle and when he encountered our officer, he flagged him down,” said Lexington Police Lt. Eric Lowe.

Moore played for UK from 2005-2007, and was named to the Freshman All-SEC Team, as well as the SEC Academic Honor Roll in 2007. He worked as a grad assistant for the men’s basketball team last season.

25 Comments for Former Kentucky football player Shomari Moore shot last night

1. Jatt Mones
    10:37 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

I love that the reporting is in front of the Hustler store.

2. jus sayin
    10:38 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

That’s why I never stop for people I don’t know especially in the middle of the night, especially at suspicious intersections. Get well soon.

3. Big Cat Daddy
    10:52 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

Best wishes to the man on a recovery. That just sounds awful.

4. Jatt Mones
    10:54 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

#2- you mean “especially in front of the Hustler store”?

5. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    10:57 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

#2–I have not lived in Lex since 1999. Was not aware that “just before 10pm” was the middle of the night. From what I remember, in July that is dusk. Was not aware that Winchester and Elkhorn was the “bad part of town”.

6. PsychOfMSE
    10:58 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

5) While that end of Winchester isn’t terrible it’s definitely not the nicest part of town. Getting closer to downtown Winchester road really takes a dive.

7. I Say
    10:59 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

Winchester road is pretty skanky

8. Bill
    11:21 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

Winchester road is butt. Not the worst part of town…but as close to as far as ritzy as you can get

9. Jus Sayin
    11:28 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

5. You use quotes when you are directly saying what the other person said. A. Never said “bad part of town”. But any intersection by a Hustler at 10pm (which is night) is a suspicious intersection.

10. Leftygilmore
    11:31 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

People don’t just get randomly shot like this In a non-robbery scenario. Sounds like fishy

11. yo yo
    11:42 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

10. Might have been a robbery situation. He drove off.

12. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    11:45 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

#9–It can used as a direct quote or reference. As in referencing what some may call “bad part of town”. I grew up on that end of town and if I remember correctly Elkhorn is next to the interstate near Hume Rd. Also, the back end of what is now Hamburg. I would hardly call that an area that is high crime area or a place where a lot of hookers or drug dealers are flagging people down. I could be wrong as I have not lived there for some time.

13. Old Friend
    11:52 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

I just can’t believe this! Shomari, if you know or have ever met him, is a great guy. Hopefully there will be justice somewhere down the road for these two men. Prayers and a speedy recovery to him!

14. Corey
    12:10 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

OMG!!! My prayers go up for you Shomari. Get well soon!!! I hope they catch the evil SOB’s that did this!!! Be careful Kentuckians!!!

15. Jus Sayin
    12:42 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

12. False. If you wish to talk about implied meaning you use “” in combination with (). Read a newspaper they do it all the time.

It may not be suspicious to you… your opinion.

16. RUPPS_rhetoric
    12:48 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

2), 6), 7), 8) That area is NOT A BAD PART OF TOWN. It’s right off the interstate. It’s a highly, highly, trafficked area all day and night long. The Hustler Store is completely random, caused a big stink when it went in. People tried like hell to stop it. It definately is the odd duck in that area. It’s actually right next to a Cracker Barrel. It’s not even close to being a shady part of town. I’d feel safe in that area at 3 in the morning. You can see $500,000 to Million dollar homes from that area. I agree that parts of Winchester Road can be shady, but you all are clearly exhibiting the North End bias I saw all the time during my years growing up off Winchester Rd. and Eastland Parkway while attending Bryan Station. “Oh it’s off Winchester Rd, so it has to be the bad part of town..” Here’s a news flash, bad shit can happen anywhere, and this happened to be in a good part of town. All that being said hope he makes a full recovery. Our thoughts are with you Shomari

17. Linda Taylor
    12:53 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

I saw this on the news last night, though they did not identify the victim. I hope Shomari will recover fully from his wound and they catch the perpretrators.
    To say that area is a bad part of town is not really true. Once you get past New Circle Rd. on Winchester there are some very nice subdivisions, Patchen Wilkes, Tuscany, etc., then Hamburg begins. The older business section that is around the interstate there includes business offices, hotels (low to moderate level), a Cracker Barrel, a Bob Evans, an Arbys, a McDonalds, & gas stations. The one business that came into the area amidst much controversy was the Hustler store and that is where the shooting happened. Heading down Winchester into town from New Circle is a whole other story. It’s nasty.

18. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    1:10 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

#16 and 17–Thanks for letting me know that things have not changed much about the area. RUPPS–what year you attend and where did you live? I too went BS and would shoot across Hume from BS Rd before class to hit up the Mickey D’s. That end of town always gets a bad rap from those that never venture outside of NC Rd.

19. RUPPS_rhetoric
    1:15 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Carolina, I graduated in 98. Drove a 67 Mustang, and would love to open it up going down Hume Rd. Those were the days!

20. Women Everywhere
    1:46 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Terrible news! Best wishes to Shomari for a full recovery & I hope they find the guys who did it. Dangerous people can be hanging out in any part of town, any time of day. Let’s be careful out there.

21. theWilkman
    2:02 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Should’ve had a CDW license

22. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    2:06 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

#19–LOL. Those certainly were the days. I am a bit older than you. Glad things did not change much after I left. Class of 87 here. We would block both ends of Hume and race on the long stretch over the bridge and pray no one pulled out of their driveway in between so we met them head on. The one thing that baffled me, why people would drink (or other things) and decide it was a great idea to drive down some of those roads. Lost a few good people on some of those roads. Fun times!

23. DontbeaJerk
    4:30 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Dude was shot in his car and drove off, so all the guys sayin its a bad part of town etc need to chill out and be respectful. Whatever it was, Shomari was a victim of a crime and not at fault so stop being d*cks about it.

24. Midwest Punk
    5:46 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

The shooting did NOT happen AT the Hustler store. It allegedly happened somewhere NEAR the Hustler store. How is a lingerie store “suspicious” just because Larry Flynt owns it? Its mostly women that shop there. Its a nice shop that stays busy ’til after midnight most nights.

25. Wisconsin friend
    11:48 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Shamori is a wonderful young man and was most likely just being that nice guy to help someone out. Our thoughts and prayers out to you for a speedy recovery. This man would help out anyone and one of the most respectful sweetest man alive. He was a victim of a crime. Heads up all, not sure I anyone watches the news but these terrible events can happen anywhere. Even in small towns with young children in a school. So heads up to all, be safe. Does not matter if its a “good” or “bad” part of town or if its day or night. Protect yourself. If you see someone who needs help, use this as a lesson. Use ur cell phone and call the police for them. We love u Shamori and hope you recover soon
    Love your Wisconsin friends 🙂