For Brown, Scott, and Schlarman Coming Home Was A Dream Come True

Need another reason to check out the 2013 Football Yearbook? Well here’s one more. A profile of former Kentucky boys Neal Brown, Chad Scott, and John Schlarman on what brought them back to Lexington to coach the Cats. UK Athletics has the entire article up on their site but here’s what Neal Brown had to say on his homecoming:

Neal Brown had always thought about coming home.

Even after the Danville, Ky., left Kentucky in 2000, he still followed the Wildcat program. As Brown raised a young family and his career took him all over the country, the idea of returning to his roots flickered in the back of his mind.

This offseason, it became a reality.

“You always think about coming back but you never get your hopes up too much in this business because it’s crazy and it’s unpredictable,” Brown said. “It just so happened that the stars aligned last December and it all worked out and I’m thankful for it.”

As Brown suggests, he wasn’t going to drop everything at the first opportunity to come home. As one of the promising young minds in college football, Brown had his future to think about. In order to put on UK blue again, the former wide receiver would have to be convinced.

To complicate matters, coming to Lexington to serve as offensive coordinator wasn’t Brown’s only opportunity this winter. Multiple schools courted him and some even thought of making the 33-year-old one of the youngest head coaches in the country.

Mark Stoops, meanwhile, stood aside. He knew he wanted Brown and he made that clear, but Stoops gave him time to sort through process. In the end, Stoops’ quiet patience was his masterful final sales pitch. It showed Brown that Stoops only wants the best for those around him.

” ‘This is a good guy. This is a good person. This is a guy that understands what we’re doing on a day-to-day basis.’ ” Brown recalled telling his wife. “I said, ‘I can work for him. I want to work for him.’ “

It’s a great read and gets you excited to have these men back in the bluegrass. Welcome home.

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

12 Comments for For Brown, Scott, and Schlarman Coming Home Was A Dream Come True

1. Person in the know
    9:27 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

It’s a great read. It’s also mostly BS. Take what you want out of it, but I know how it all really happened.

2. Stoops poops
    9:37 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

They came home to go 2 and 10 and coach the armpit of the sec.

3. Buckeye
    9:52 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Urban Meyer held his original Friday Night Lights camp tonight at The Horsehoe, the one
    Stopps copied from him. I was in attendance. Urban Meyer pulled Braxton Berrios out of drills and had a looooong chat with him. Urban seem pleased afterward and Braxton was clearly excited.

4. red headed step child
    10:29 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

On behalf of #BBN I wish to welcome the trolls to the site this evening, Matt Thanks you as well. The “hits” will only help him to enlarge the wallet.

5. NO MATT JONES
    10:40 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Brown is going to bring some exciting football back to Lexington. I am so pumped for football season.

6. Bobbum man
    10:46 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

1- Lenny is that you?

7. Larry linebeard
    10:59 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

1- I’m sure you do, and I’m sure your very important… This is what you want to hear right?

8. Honeynut
    11:03 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Braxton Berrios received an offer from Ohio State tonight, per his Twitter account.

9. Seriously?
    12:22 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, bc Urban Meyer is the only one ever to have that idea. And way to go, mighty OSU may have snagged a recruit from powerhouse Kentucky football! You must be so proud; proud enough to boast about it online on a Kentucky fan site evidently. Enjoy it, if your Bucks land Berrios it’ll be their only win of the year in anything against an SEC school

10. Linda Taylor
    12:50 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know which is worse, all the “ghetto” cards fans on this site or all the “mentally challenged” buckeye fans.

11. Bobbum man
    6:48 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

If we got buckeye fans Trollin now we must be doin something right

12. Linda Taylor
    4:33 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

10 – With all the posts you’ve made today under my name I can’t help but wonder if you have a fixation on me. Just to set you straight. I am middle-aged and happily married. I can’t for the life of me wonder why you are seeking so much attention from me.