UK Football Wants Wednesday Show Thread

We’re inside the 48-hour mark before Kentucky football kicks off the 2011-2012 season. What better way to spend the morning before the morning before the game, than listening to Kentucky Sports Radio with Matt Jones. Come join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080 or sending a text to the texting machine (919) 928-1789.

Today’s topics include:

* Football, Football, Football

* Bruce Pearl asks, “Paper or Plastic?”

* The Big Blue Madness visitors keep piling up

* Matt unveils a secret from Tony Vanetti’s past

The comments game also continues, but with a chance to win a high-five for best comment! Get excited. Each day, the two best comments will be selected by Matt and Drew the Intern and placed into a drawing for the high-five. Good luck, comrades.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Article written by Drew Franklin

119 Comments for UK Football Wants Wednesday Show Thread

1. iShawnUK
    9:58 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Let’s get this started, cause these idiots on this Louisville show are killing me.

2. iShawnUK
    9:59 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Please get these idiots from Louisville off the air.

3. Buckets
    10:02 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I’m surprised no one’s complained about the lack of football talk yet.

4. bleedblueky
    10:03 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I know the secret – Tony was a professional wrestler 🙂

5. kyrobman
    10:08 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Ryan you fail on the Birthday wish, so bad.

6. bung
    10:09 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

looavul again?

7. kyrobman
    10:11 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt you sound like Bobby off “King of the Hill”

8. Jay
    10:12 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

The Louisville moron said that Andre Woodson lost his first start 28-0 to Louisville? Get your facts straight jack-offs, that was the year Shane Boyd started. Woodson’s first start against UL was his soph. year and was at home and the game went down to the wire. Woodson fumbled the ball on the goaline with a chance to tie late in the game.

9. kyrobman
    10:12 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt you sound like Bobby off “King of the Hill”….”That’s my Purse, I don’t know you”

10. Kanter
    10:13 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Hey, F U NCAA. So, Miami players miss a couple games and pay the money back. But I couldn’t do the same? Interesting.

11. arlie
    10:13 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

welcome to Lville sports radio

12. cat fan
    10:13 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

That video is awesome! Lets get this season started already!!

13. TT
    10:15 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Let it go, we dont care about Clint Hurtt or Louisville football.

14. Butt Hurtt
    10:15 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt, you should understand that there is enough unemployement in the country. Now you’re trying to get another black man to lose his job? Obama would not like your activities…

15. Jay
    10:18 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

The dude from the UL show is a moron. Get your facts straigh jackoff! He said Woodson’s first game he started against UL tha UL won 28-0? That game was started by Shane Boyd. Woodson’s first start against UL was at Commonwealth his Soph. year. That game UL was ranked highly pre-season and UK lost by 7. Woodson fumbled the ball on the goalline with a chance to tie late in the game. I believe that was the great Orange Bowl team that UL fans always refer to when they talk about their great football tradition!

16. Joann Pitino
    10:18 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Has anyone seen my husband? I’ve been looking for him for years. I guess I should be happy he lets me still live in the house.

17. kyrobman
    10:20 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Or like the guy I saw a few weeks ago who was peeing in his radiator, Funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

18. Poop break
    10:20 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Say it Matt. Everyone does it. Everyone poops. Embrase the poop.

19. Caleb
    10:21 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

This advice about Hotel lobby bathrooms will literally change my life

20. RDBsports
    10:21 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt, stop giving away my restroom secret.

21. Coach Kay
    10:22 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Women can use the hover method in public restrooms.

22. ebell55
    10:22 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Louisville football where your all time greatest season is highlighted by a loss to Rutgers and a bowl game against Wake Freaking Forest!!!! The Big East where you can go 8 and 4 Ann beat no one in the top 25 and make it to a BCS bowl game!!!!

23. bung
    10:22 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I stop where the woods is close to the road…

24. CSR
    10:22 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

#15 – You already mentioned that. We get it.

25. u of l athletic facilities
    10:23 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

UK players have been take’n a crap on uofl players in our facilities for years now.

26. theoledog
    10:24 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

“rest stop RR are just terrible”…. jones and his sidekick must poop diamonds…
    don’t know where these guys stop but the ones i use are cleaner than most interstate food stops..
    NC rest stops are damn nice…

27. George Costanza
    10:25 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Ramada Inn, Exit 74 on I65 in Indiana. Mention my name, theyll give you the key.

28. Jay
    10:26 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Good… Just making sure. Ha Ha Computer froze up and i didnt think the first one went through.

29. Neil Genesis Diamond
    10:26 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Cue “SolitaryMan” for the next break. Matt Jones: eats alone, poops alone.

30. bleedblueky
    10:26 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt – my question is when you walk into a hotel lobby and pass by the front desk greeters to head to their restroom directly, would they ever show you their stange stares at all?

31. UKAA
    10:26 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Gotta love the fact that we’re going on 30 minutes of bathroom talk the day before our football team kicks off the 2011 season. How much could you win on a bet that this won’t be the case the day before the first basketball game?

32. iShawnUK
    10:27 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I don’t stop at rest stops because, at the first rest area coming in to Kentucky from TN, 3 years ago a guy was shot in the head, and then his car was set on fire. That’s why I will never stop at a rest area.

33. Richard Pitino
    10:27 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I love rest areas! I go into the stalls and wait for dominican recruits to meet 😉 how do you think the cards got garcia and sosa? I’m a “talented” recruiter!!

34. Buckets
    10:28 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Rest areas are generally pretty clean. I stop at gas stations unless I really have to go, and then I’ll blow up a rest stop bathroom no problem.

35. You Can Call Me Cal
    10:29 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

It’s the truth. I used to think Waddy Peytona was the name of one town. But it just doesn’t feel right that they switched it…Also I use rest stops all the time. Quicker on and off the expressway.
    ps…If anyone is the Michael Jordan of wrestling it’s the Hulkster, not Rick Flair. #BROTHERRRR

36. rolly
    10:29 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Exit ramps are typically hideous eye-sores of crap development.

37. uktailg8er
    10:29 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

A lot of rest areas are serviced by homes for folks with disabilities (down’s syndrome, etc.).

38. Joker Phillips
    10:30 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Are there any good hotels or rest stops on the way from Lexington to Nashville? We’ll be heading that way soon.

39. Aaron
    10:31 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

The Billy Gillepsie section in the KY Hall Of Fame will only consist of a Bud Light can, a Dr. Pepper and a golf club.

40. TT
    10:32 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I stop at rest areas cause there convenient and easy to get on and off road. I don’t go off exits were I am going to have to fight traffic. I never heard a man worry about where he takes a crap.I guess some people’s doo doo just doesn’t stink.

41. Aaron
    10:32 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Sorry Gillispie

42. Cassady
    10:33 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt,
    I’ve been told that one rest stop costs the state 250,000 a year to maintain. I say we close them all!

43. Bush Wackers
    10:33 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I work at a Fairfield Inn and this happens all the time. I know it: they know it. Most times, people respect the facility but sometimes they trash the place pretty bad with diarehea. When that happens, the next ten or so pay the price with a “guest use only”.

And just so you know, brothers figured that hotel bathroom thing way before whitey did. Just saying…

44. BigBlueLove
    10:34 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Kentucky closed down the rest stop where the man was shot, just outside of BG. They built a new one near E-town that is much nicer.

45. RDBsports
    10:36 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

George Costanza would be proud of the bathroom conversation.

46. Mel Gibson
    10:37 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I never pass up the first stall, that’s where I go to make THUNDER DOME!!!!!

47. TulsaCat
    10:39 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Do *Not* use McDonalds restroom after Grimace

48. Poco Chang
    10:40 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

When choosing a road toilet, the quality of the toilet paper cannot be over emphasized.

49. Joshua Lambert
    10:40 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt, the hotel bathroom is old news for me. If I am traveling and I need to get online, I just walk in and use the pc most hotels have for their guests.

50. Kyle
    10:41 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Dude. That video gave me chills.

51. Ravishing Rick Rude
    10:41 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

In the realm of public restrooms there is none better than the restroom in Von Maur in the oxmoor shopping center. There’s a full time restroom attendant, live piano music piped in, and it’s spotless at all times. the only thing that would make it better would be if they moved the piano into the actual restroom and somehow gave you the ability to order food and make requests to the piano player…i’m not sure if i’d ever leave

52. Kidnut
    10:41 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Don’t follow Jason in the bathroom when he is holding his IPad

53. Karen Sypher
    10:42 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I was proposed to 3 times in the men’s stall at the BG rest stop

54. CatsFanInKnoxville
    10:42 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I used that one in MFA at Transy too! Awesome place.

55. ebell55
    10:43 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

On Curb George got rich off of the app for clean bathrooms. Everyone skips the 1st stall because its where people who are about to loss themselves go and they spray the seat.

56. Robert in SC
    10:44 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

After 45 min, i’d love to talk some sports instead of more dropping and squatting stories!

57. docmartin10
    10:44 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Exit 24 east bound on the Western Kentucky Parkway is the Dawson Springs/Providence exit. Left is Dawson Springs, Right is Providence. So looks like that prediction is a fail…

Sent from my Ipad from toilet via McDonalds WiFi

58. bluegrassboy
    10:44 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Waddy name exit change documented in the CJ. It was which was on the left then right. Link to story http://j.mp/pugjPk

59. Ravishing Rick Rude
    10:44 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

In the realm of public restrooms there is none better than the mens room in Von Maur in the Oxmoor Mall. It’s is a beacon of bathroom excellence. There’s a full time restroom attendant, they pipe in live piano music, and it’s spotless. The only thing that would make it better would be if they moved the piano into the actual restroom and allowed you to make song requests. If they somehow allowed you to order food in there, I’m not sure I’d ever leave.

60. UKFan who wants to hear SPORTS
    10:48 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Is the first UK football game of the season on TV tomorrow night?

61. Se7ens
    10:48 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

There is no Tony Douglas. Their best WR coming back is Dexter Haynes who only had 11 receptions last year.

62. Buckets
    10:49 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I’ve never heard this song, either. But I listen to good music: hip-hop. Not garbage like Conway Twitty.

63. jack nicholson
    10:49 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

you want the truth? you can’t handle the truth!!!

64. Bob Loblaw
    10:49 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

The video still doesn’t get me excited about UK football this year. When’s big blue madness (formerly Midnight madness)?

65. Se7ens
    10:50 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

A little more kernel coverage, this time espn – who the heck is diamond leung? http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/34761/kentucky-debates-media-ethics-again

66. renee
    10:52 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

@ 60 the game is going to be on espn-U

67. Big time SEC radio shows
    10:52 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

WOW, we talk about sports in the SEC. Football and basketball. And Matt Jones’ show talks about taking a crap. Keep up the good work Kentucky sports.

68. Andy P.
    10:53 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Hey, let’s hear some Someone Like You by Van Morrison—-great song.

69. TT
    10:53 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Have you ever saw this foam at a rest area?? I think not!!!

70. DanKY325
    10:54 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Be thankful in Kentucky you can use the bathroom for free, visiting in Australia, got a suprise that you have to pay to use the bathroom. Paying for the priviledge to take a whiz.

71. UKFan who wants to hear SPORTS
    10:54 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Thank you #66!!!

72. TheWaitFor8
    10:55 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

DO NOT use the bushes in the Keeneland parking lots. There may only be one port a pot every 500 yards but there are 20 cops on gold carts between each one
    But on that note, the Keeneland library (near main entrance by the road) has the cleanest bathroom of all time.

73. Curious
    10:56 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

What is Matts fascination with guestimating how many words are in articles. Yesterday he made reference to a 5000 word article and a 7000 word Rick Flair article, and now he says something about a 6000 word ESPN article.

74. KentuckyRosie
    10:56 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Late to the party this morning! i see i missed lots of bathroom talk again… good work matt

75. rolly
    10:57 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

#38 — In regards to good places btwn Lex-Nash. The Maywood Chevron in Bardstown @ the Springfield exit on the BG Pkwy. Get some ham and sausage.

76. jack nicholson
    11:00 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

@ 64…. big blue madness is saturday oct 15th

77. Matt Jones
    11:00 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

#67 and “Big Time SEC Radio shows” get mediocre ratings and are listened to by a dwindling local base…while KSR is first in the ratings in their time slot and the #1 college sports podcast in America.

78. JPhelps
    11:02 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

It really is amazing how much of a factor Trevard Lindley was while he was here. I saw 3 plays, program turning plays that he made that etched into my mind.

79. Buckets
    11:03 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Did everyone see the highlight of Eric Bledsoe throwing down that NASTY jam that came off the backboard from Chris Paul last night? NICE!

80. trav
    11:05 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I use the bathrom at mcdonalds so they can clean up the mess they created.

81. TT
    11:06 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

#79 YES!!! That was the best dunk of the highlight. It seems like he can stay in the air forever to be a short guy. BTW..Matt thanks for the show I love starting my day off listening to KSR..

82. Andy P.
    11:08 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Bravo Matt for calling Ryan out on his bathroom humor. It is truly disgusting and needs to stop or you need a new guest host.

83. EAS TESTING
    11:09 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

84. EAS TESTING
    11:09 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt just told the best kept secret! Now there will be lines for the bathroom in hotel lobbies from Pikeville to Paducah. You only hurt yourself!

85. PoopTooth
    11:11 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

If you hold your poop, it can discolor your smile!

86. Matt Jones: Sig
    11:11 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt, being a lawyer, you know that the relevant justifications for punishing the Kernel reporter under these circumstances are specific and general deterrance. Since no one (except the players he contacted) would have known that a rule had even been broken if Peevy had not unceremoniously disinvited him from the media event, what justification is there for the punishment? It wouldn’t generally deter anyone who didn’t know about it. Specific deterrance could have been accomplished by a private conversation.

87. Jax Teller
    11:12 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Madness will be nuts this year. Matt, do you know if we can invite “the pros” back for it and recognize them? Gotta think that would be a HUGE boost for the atmosphere.

88. Wakecat
    11:12 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I hate Lemond. I can’t even express how much I hate Lemond. I listen every day, but the days with Lemond co-hosting are the worst and I actually find myself turning off the radio because he is so off-putting. The worst part about Lemond is that he thinks he’s funny. He cracks himself up. But, his level of humor is that of a 3rd grader. No sophistication. No wit. He appeals only to the lowest level of humanity with poop and fart jokes. I would rather hear the LouisvilleHelpWanted.com spokeswoman sing on a loop than have to listen to this no talent a** clown. Please pick an adequate co-host, or do it solo.

89. TT
    11:17 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

#88 Geez Man no one is holding you at gun point forcing you to listen. Why don’t you just go away…

90. RDBsports
    11:18 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

PSA: The first amendment is Freedom of Speech. No one is having their freedom taken away from them.

91. Chris
    11:19 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Does anybody know when the campout for madness tickets is this year?

92. psa
    11:23 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Can we get more examples of chants please?

93. Fancy
    11:23 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I love Lemond! He is hilarious. He is one of the few guest hosts I love listening to. Go RYAN!!!!

94. Kidnut
    11:24 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Ironically, Wakecat’s favorite movie is Billy Madison

95. Se7ens
    11:25 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I love Lemond. I can’t even express how much I love Lemond. I listen every day, but the days with Lemond co-hosting are the best and I actually find myself turning up the radio because he is so entertaining. The best part about Lemond is that he’s funny. He cracks me up. his level of humor is that of a comic genius. sophistication. wit. He appeals only to the highest level of humanity with poop and fart jokes.

96. GummyBear
    11:26 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Lemond is indeed horrible. He brings absolutely zero to the show. Seems like a nice guy though.

97. CatsFanInKnoxville
    11:27 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Pearl has a degree in Marketing.

98. Pearl's job
    11:27 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

is probably just golfing with folks, I doubt he’s doing focus groups and pricing studies.

99. KentuckyRosie
    11:27 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

matt, at least one person didn’t miss you saying “pills” as “peeeeeells.” not a criticism… just wanted you to know we heard it 🙂

100. Andy P.
    11:29 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt, Bruce Pearl is Jewish and I say that in a respectful way. He’s not going to set on his duff. Billy Clyde is a Texas redneck——big difference.

101. RDBsports
    11:30 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Bruce Pearl is always on the radio in Nashville. He is very candid about his violations, but he is working the angle that the punishment is too harsh since he “came back” and “told the truth”. It sounds like he can’t believe he isn’t the coach at UT anymore.

102. Jake
    11:32 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Bruce is doing it for the discount he gets on cookout supplies.

103. Se7ens
    11:33 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

To be fair the reason UConn pulled this kids scholarship is because out of all the scholarship players he qualifies for the most financial aid.

104. Hoss
    11:35 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

‘Deborah’ Gibson is now a sho-nuff broadway performer.

105. Kidnut
    11:36 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt, make sure to research the UCONN thing before jumping on the Dan Wolken train…if you already have then nevermind

106. Hestkuk
    11:38 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Did the last caller just refer to trainwrecks as hilarious?

107. Kidnut
    11:40 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Tiffany and Debbie Gibson did a fight scene in one of those horrible SciFi movies…like Mega Shark versus Super Octopus or something

108. Se7ens
    11:42 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Shark Night

109. Kidnut
    11:43 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

LOL, Unfrozen Prehistoric Shark…sounds like a winner

110. GummyBear
    11:44 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I agree with Matt that I’m not that worried about Newton, but we won those SEC road games despite Newton’s performance not because of it.

111. GO BIG BLUE
    11:48 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I’m ready for some FOOTBALL!!! That video got me hyped!! Let’s do this!!!

112. Kidnut
    11:49 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Matt, I have to know Jane Weidlin’s Birthday…

113. Twinge of Nip
    11:53 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

UK did the same thing with Marquis Estill back in the day.

114. Wakecat
    11:55 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Didn’t UK did previously pull this UCONN move? I remember Tubby either moved / was going to move Marquis Estill from Scholarship to Financial Aide because he was in-state.

115. Buckets
    11:55 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Carolina Gump likes cars turning left waaaaaay too much. UGGGGHHHH

116. Kidnut
    11:56 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I think it was Scott Bakula

117. Drew the Employee
    12:01 pm August 31, 2011 Permalink

Todays winners are #27, #51 & #83. E-mail me at [email protected]

118. L82daPRD
    12:36 pm August 31, 2011 Permalink

119. Pnicol
    5:21 pm August 31, 2011 Permalink

Not sure if it works well in the US, but diaroogle.com -Premium toilet search engine, is the nuts