Florida’s Mid Morning Hangover Links

the-links

Ugh.  At least it’s Super Bowl Sunday? With such a late finish last night there’s not too much floating around the internet about Kentucky today, and probably with good reason.  But a few links to start your morning off before we all collectively move on with our days.

-Andy Katz basically provides us with a night post over at ESPN.  He writes that the game last night was a fitting night cap and one of the few game day games that delivers. He then goes on to dissect the game, but be forewarned, it’s a little Florida centric.

-Sometimes friend of the blog Jeff Goodman writes that while Billy Donovan should be excited about last night’s win – he’s still gotta be a little worried for the future of the Gators.

-Moving on from the game – apparently Larry Drew II’s mom got mad at Roy when he tried to talk to John Wall.  Which is funny, because Larry Drew sucks and John Wall does not.

-Chip Cosby goes more in detail with the addition of Glenn Holt and Andre Woodson joining the Student Assistant staff, which is still pretty cool.

-In case you were wondering how many pizza’s it takes to feed a prison on Super Bowl Sunday… you’re weird.  But the answer is 942.

Article written by Will Lentz

49 Comments for Florida’s Mid Morning Hangover Links

1. eastkyboy
    10:29 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Let’s all go to church and pray about.

2. ShagOnSports
    10:31 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Holt and Woodson are good additons to the staff… Looks like are BBall team hit it’s peak against the Chickens this year… Do they have a 2nd wind??? With no production out of Jorts (he for sure has peaked) and only Lamb off the bench I do not think so… Cal should have called a time-out at that point of the game (that was different scenairo than the Ole Miss game) to set something up!!! I love the comments about recruiting!!! Tubby could not recruit, per the fan base and you were unhappy with the three and four year players he was bringing in and now you want Cal to recruit like Tubby… I love Tubby but I will take the top notch recruits any day!!! The NBA is going to change the rule as part of the CBA and that will benefit all of college basketball… Cal is NOT in over his head and use the previous coach (BCG) to set that bar…

3. JPS
    10:32 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

That can’t be right that Roy Williams talked to John Wall. UNC is far too classy and morally superior to talk to some low-life like John Wall. At least that’s what I’m told by UNC fans.

4. Old Henry Man
    10:34 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

I see a 4-6 seed. With the right match ups, the Cats make the sweet 16 or elite 8. Jones leaves, Knight and Lamb come back.
    2011-2012 the Cats will be great again.
    C Davis
    PF Miller
    SF Gilchrist
    2G Lamb
    PG Knight

Liggins, Teague, Wiltter and Hood will provide great depth.

5. Bg Wildcat
    10:35 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

With Kanter And/or Orton Equals 1 Or 2 Seed , Without Equals 5~8 Seed.

6. I can't see the comments
    10:39 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

I am thrilled with the way our freshmen play. They’re so talented. They can make mistakes on the road, I’m okay with that and I can’t think of anything more stupid than people trying to put the blame on Jones for shooting too much or Knight for not taking over at Ole Miss. They’re freshmen for god’s gift’s sake.

Truth is, Jorts sucks again and THAT is the only reason we’re losing games now. Let me put it this way, I agree with number 5. With Kanter, we don’t lose ANY of these 4 SEC games we lost. With Kanter, we’re top 5 right now. We need good post play. The SEC is stacked with great big men.

WE NEED JORTS TO STEP UP. Our freshmen are absolutely great.

7. SexnNursinHomes
    10:40 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

4- move knight over to sg and put teague in as pg. teague will be the starting pt guard, the offense will flow better through him. not a knock on knight, but teague is a pure pt guard

8. Phil
    10:40 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

I think Cal is trying to teach them how to survive when you aren’t the most talented team on the floor. In the tournament the one that matters, so many games become single possession grinds that he knows that if they learn to finish they will be a hard team to deal with. The last basket in will be ours sometimes bet on it! Whatever happens this year will be forgotten when the next group comes in. If Knight stays and maybe Lamb too, next season will be delight to all of Big Blue Nation, if they don’t it will still be special! You can believe Cal is looking for kids that won’t disappear when the team needs them most.

9. bung
    10:44 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

We must have a small playbook on halfcourt offense.

10. Big D
    10:45 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Good morning sunshine, the earth says hello. Hey Shag, you have it right on the basketball cats. Not much improvement, and way to shallow of a bench. I have to say though,Vargas actually played a little last night. These guys are going to be absolutely worn out by seasons end at this pace. Good observation on recruiting also. Now, on to 12 hours of Super Bowl pre-game action. The Pack is back……..again.

11. BukakenNursinHomes
    10:47 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

I wish I had a dog to kick today.
    Oh well life could be worse, we might have to read a BTI post today.

12. Jezz
    10:49 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

7- Teague – Knight : best D-1 backcourt ever. Simply put. I’m a homer.

13. Richard Pitino, Asst Florida
    10:49 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

If you’re not already worried after last night, just wait until I share Gilchrist’s high school transcripts with my daddy’s friends in the media.

14. Big D
    10:58 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Oh, and by the way guys, Ol “Technical” Ted Valentine had a little influence on the game last night. He did’nt T anyone up,but he had a few mystery foul calls. ESPN’S Gottlieb was even on him after the game.

15. SanDiegoDave
    11:00 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

4) I agree with most of what you posted, except for Hood being a contibutor next year. Unfortunately, he is going to find himself farther down the bench and no better than ninth in the rotation. If you think he didn’t get much playing time this year, then next year will certainly disappoint you. Look at side-by-side pictures of him while he was in high school and now. He is the same. No improvement in upper body strength, quickness, or ball handling. He doesn’t have the speed or quickness to play 2 guard and he doesn’t have enough strength to be effective at the 3 position. Chris Gettelfinger, part deux.

16. Richad Pitino, Asst Florida Says
    11:05 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Oh Wait I’m sorry, that was my Daddy’s Whore list and shady medical records,,my bad and carry on.

17. SexnNursinHomes
    11:06 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

12- hahaha. touchee touchee

18. bung
    11:07 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

darn Mr. Beisner…u sure that aint 951?

19. 2020
    11:09 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

I think last season BBN seeing things askew. Sure, we’re losing games that we should win, but look at this season’s resume:

Wins over #9 Notre Dame by 14 (neutral court), #15 Louisville by 15 points (away).

Of our 6 losses,4 were by 2 points each, all on the road. We’re a few whistles away from being 20-2.

Given that no team is going to be able to play us on their home court in the NCAA tourney, I would think we look very formidable.

20. SexnNursinHomes
    11:10 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

11- hahaha or punch a baby in the face.

21. NKY
    11:15 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Cal is the worst last seconds coach ever!

22. bung
    11:19 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

I like Hood’s energy and he hit his only shot, a turnaround fadeaway J at that. I would like to see him get more of Ligs time for offense.

23. bicycleseat
    11:20 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Thank goodness jorts is playing like the player he realy was to begin with as for the first time since louisville I’m finally getting more tail than him.

24. BukakenNursinHomes
    11:20 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

20) Baby face punching is all bad. Targeting of long faced blondes on the other hand isn’t half bad.

25. parvenu1
    11:21 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Who is the best last seconds coach? So Cal is the worst, in your opinion, which puts every coach in the world above him, in your opinion. Would just like to get your take on who is the best.

26. SexnNursinHomes
    11:22 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

24- only chris collingsworth punches babies in the face.

27. bung
    11:23 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Polson’s ball handling on the run was great!

28. bung
    11:25 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Poor ol radio guys already had us calling timeout and getting ball at sidecourt with time to run a play.

29. ConcernedCat
    11:31 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

There are plenty of plays that contributed to the loss in Gainesville. However, can someone please teach Jones what is a good shot? I have never seen someone force so many shots but remain in the game. I would rather lose with Eloy, Hood, Polson, or Poole. Seriously! In addition, what about the 5th foul on Harrelson? Referee Valentine made the call from behind the play. Does anyone have a contact to send complaints to for his continued poor foul calls!!!!

30. harold
    11:32 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Steve Brown: co-defensive coordinator/defensive backs-$320,000

Rick Minter: co-defensive coordinator-$275,000

David Turner: assistant head coach/defensive line-$275,000

Mike Summers: offensive line-$275,000

Greg Nord: special teams/tight ends-$215,000

Tee Martin: wide receivers/passing game coordinator-$185,000 (will go up to $205,000 July 1)

Chuck Smith: linebackers/recruiting coordinator-$163,500

Steve Pardue: running backs-$130,000

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/02/06/1624307_p2/notebook-holt-woodson-offer-perspective.html#ixzz1DCHkBv5J

31. bankerbh
    11:32 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Don’t understand the offense and don’t think players do either. Last night looked like street ball. One guy drive and how many times were the other three or four guys standing in three point land spectating. I don’t think anyone envisioned this when cal was hired. Regardless of what he inherited he has not coached up the non one and dones very well. Bbn won’t care how much pub the highly ranked drafts get if they don’t lead to wins and deep tourney runs. When was the last time there was so much talk about next year in the middle of bball? You’d think we were discussing jokers football team.

32. harold
    11:32 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

how does steve brown make more than anyone else?

33. SavannahCat
    11:48 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

The biggest difference I see in this year’s vs last year’s team is pride in the uniform. Jones already has 1 1/2 feet in the NBA, is all about his stats, and I don’t think he has a passion to win. Anyone on here over the age of 30 sees that. The SEC is a f’in joke and we are 4-4 with @ Vandy and @ UT left. I really want to see some passion and will to win….and yes, I know how bad we were with BCG, but this is another team not making the final four.

34. bung
    11:53 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

Jones and Josh need to be in the low post more. If we send em to the wings we got no rebounding or close in shots. I mean its not like the DD works when we open up the middle. Josh was 2 for 2 down low he shoulda been given 10 shots.

35. gumby
    11:59 am February 6, 2011 Permalink

#29 agree w/you on valentine…how about the way he went after knight when he and boynton (i think) got into the little “hand slapping” thing in the 2nd half. the look on valentine’s face as he went after knight was like knight had just shot somebody (not to mention boynton had a little role in the whole thing as well). the call on jorts was total crap. and what about the shot clock violation when polson went to the basket. he got the shot off but the FL guy blocked it out of bounds. i know it didn’t touch the rim but FL touched it last as the shot clock went off…how is that not KY ball?

36. LOL
    12:05 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

37. Nassau65
    12:11 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

I didn’t see Andy Katz’s article as Florida centric, i found nothing that wasn’t the truth in there. We lost. Florida played a better game than us. If we will ever learn we can’t get behind, then miss easy shots, and then get in foul trouble and expect to win. A timeout would have been nice to set up the last play, but Knight couldn’t have been much more open than he was for the three, but perhaps a two in the paint would have at least- given us five more minutes to lose. There again-hidndsight is always better. Kudos to the Gators, they outplayed us. At the beginning of the season, everyone was saying how lopsided the SEC was. To me it seems about as even as it has ever been. On any given night, any team can win. I don’t see any of the SEC teams in the final four, (or even eight) unless there is major improvement by tournament time. As much as it pains me to say, we are not even in the same room as the top five or six teams right now and have a long, long way to go by March. I just hope we can learn from the loss (again) and put it to good use tuesday against Tennessee.

38. UKRon99
    12:14 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

So, we have not been 4-4 in the SEC since Pitino’s first year. Way to go Cal. way to coach up a team with three first round picks. Guy can recruit but is a boob on the bench.

39. Gus
    12:20 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

As for the new poll on the upper right I write-in “NCAA”

40. True Blue Fan
    12:23 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

35… I agree on the Knight thing! Valentine did go afte him. About the foul on Jorts, at first I went nuts then in the replay Jorts wrapped his arm around and that is a foul. But my wife said “they are beating our guys up under our goal” even she saw we were being fouled like crazy with no calls. Now with Polsons drive, while it was great to see him do it, the clock was still ticking. When it was blocked hit the floor time ran out on the shot clock. Gives them the ball!

41. Nassau65
    12:26 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Is anyone else having trouble getting the pages to reload? {puddy voice}Man, this is bogus.

42. Chris
    12:36 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

One thing is certain and this is taking nothing away from the freshman but one and dones will not win a national title….we need GOOD experienced players mixed in.

43. barn
    1:21 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

=38-i’m sure you probably know more about bball than me, but is there any chance that losing 9 players from last year’s team might affect this year?

44. bung
    1:42 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

this year is last years next year

45. tatayoyo
    2:27 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

I’m hungover in Florida’s mid-morning too.

46. Andy
    3:31 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

F all those posters, who ripped me on here and kept throwing out “Enes who” when I asked why only jorts was scoring single points against weaker competition when UK won, saying that UK fans will always find something to criticize. Well 4 points and 5 fouls, I like jorts but Cal is right, lets think about our seeding, we are losing 10 games this year, mark it down. We have a big men but no consistent scoring. Vandy and Miss st will follow the same game plan.

Liggins, Miller are struggling to define their leadership roles. Once again the points are being delivered by freshmen, we keep doing this, we will exit the first round of the sec tourney.

47. WinOne
    3:47 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Why does the article link have a higher number of postings than accessible? When I go into the postings the number is lower.

48. JCH
    3:50 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

If last night, and the previous debacle in Oxford proved anything its we are a very young, very thin team. Extremely talented but equally young and thin. We all know this and there is nothing to be done about it; it is what it is and it will probably be the reason we don’t make it past the second round – Sweet 16 is the absolute furthest this team can go.

One thing we all know but never seem to mention in our day-after discussions is we are a man down, and a very big, extremely talented man at that. We should be a team going 7-8 deep with the best big man in the country (remember Kanter’s schooling of Sullinger at the Nike Summit?). Instead, we’re starting Josh Harrelson. I know, he’s played well above is raising, so to speak, but he’s just not a high D1 big man. Remember, he chose UK over St. Louis and I don’t recall any other suitors. And with Vargas, who played very well last night in my opinion, coming off the bench we just can’t handle a team with a decent low post game. Which most of the better teams in the conference and nation have.

How good would we be with Kanter starting and Harrelson spelling him off the bench?

So, what do we have to look forward to? A decent showing this year and an amazing year in 2012.

The incoming class is, needless to say, amazing. On top of this, we are going to be what everyone in the country has claimed we would never have again under Cal, we will have experience and lots of it.

Jones is immensely talented and equally as immensely one dimensional. Keep him from going left and he becomes pretty ordinary and, please, please don’t let him shoot the 3. He will develop but for now, he is what he is. I don’t see him going to the draft this year. Next year, he could be a beast if he wants to – I’m just not convinced he does; yet.

Miller is showing signs of coming out of his 2 year Gillispie funk, although, apparently, Oxford, MS was the epicenter of this funk as it seemed to reach up and grab him in the worst way. I see him as the anchor next year and playing himself into a decent draft position.

Lamb is going to be back and is going to be one hell of a 2. I like the ball in his hands and the decisions he makes. He’ll be a great asset next year.

Knight is the only one this year I see with the possibility of going pro. One of the biggest reasons I think he goes is the same reason his loss won’t be too big a deal for us; Marquis Teague. We lose Knight and replace him with an even more talented PG. However, there is the chance Knight sticks around which will make for a very deep team next year.

Liggins – who knows. He can be our defensive specialist but, lately anyway, he’s been our fouling specialist. I just don’t know where he’ll end up.

As for the rest of the team, I don’t see them sticking around. Hood and Poole are transfers. Vargas doesn’t get another scholarship. Polson will be around for everyone to yell “shoot” at, whether he likes it or not.

So, enjoy the rest of this season as best you can. There’s a chance we put it together and make a run in the tournament but I wouldn’t count on it. On top of relying on too much development to take place from too many players; we are simply too thin in the low post to get very far.

Next year, however, we’ll be very deep, experienced and easily the most talented team in the country. It should be fun!

Go Cats!

49. barn
    5:33 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

think eloy. he’s our only hope