Florida’s Chris Walker ruled ineligible?

Kentucky is probably Chris Walker's favorite

Bad news for Billy Donovan: sources tell Gainesville sports anchor Kyle Benzion that Florida freshman Chris Walker will be ruled academically ineligible. The 6’9″ forward is a consensus top ten player in the 2013 class and has been trying to qualify since signing with the Gators, apparently to no avail. Benzion reports that the NBA D-League could be an option for Walker now.

Looks like the Florida series just got a little easier.

57 Comments for Florida’s Chris Walker ruled ineligible?

1. James
    1:01 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Glad he didn’t end up with Kentucky. Ouch.

2. me
    1:01 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Damn, this dude was going to be fun to watch.

3. ukfaninohio
    1:02 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

After learning a bit about him and where he came from i was actually rooting for the kid to make it.I blame the ncaa they suck

4. jrhop
    1:04 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

That’s disappointing, it’s always tough to qualify SEC basketball.

5. frankthetank
    1:08 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Roy Williams, do the right thing and give this kid a call. He can learn to smoke weed and shoot guns…

6. BigBossMan
    1:11 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t this the guy that talked a bunch o’trash about whuppin’ the Cats after Cal didn’t give him an offer? Looks like Cal saw this coming, no?

7. Walter Sobchak
    1:11 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

2013 class

8. DB11
    1:12 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Louisville, UNC, and Florida are now weak. The stars are aligning.

9. James
    1:14 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

That’s right #6. He really wanted to come to UK. Glad Cal saw the disaster before it happened.

10. Chris Fan
    1:16 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I followed this kid for quite a while and he’d have given anything to play for UK but the offer didn’t come (now, for obvious reasons). I wish he would have been able to play and came to UK! He is a good kid who can really play ball. I’m really sorry this happened to him. Good luck Chris wherever this takes you.

11. yoyo
    1:16 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Remember they play the season for a reason. Preseason No.1 and end up in the NIT. Don’t believe the hype till these kids take the court.

12. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    1:18 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

11) You’re an idiot. They were preseason #3.

13. Mack
    1:19 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I thought he was in this current class, 2013

14. Austin
    1:19 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Sorry to hear this. One interesting subplot… If he goes the the D league and has success, you could see more kids do that down the road. It wouldn’t be for everyone, but the kids that struggle with school could go that route instead of JUCO..

15. Brian
    1:19 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I guess that means no more cake baking at the Donavan house!

16. SoCal Will
    1:20 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Wonder if Mrs. D can return Billy’s congratulatory cake…?

17. MemphisCat
    1:20 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m surprised that Billy the Kid is treated that bad by the NCAA, now it was Cal it is a real possibility, like with Enes.

18. wow
    1:26 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

If anything PJ Hairston should not be able to play this season.

19. Tomas
    1:27 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Florida just dropped from a Top 10 team to just outside of the Top 20

20. Mack
    1:27 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Will he qualify for the 2014 draft after his year in the D league?

21. Mack
    1:29 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Maybe Hairston and Walker to go to a D league team as a “package deal”.

22. NCAA Rules Guy
    1:30 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

We at the NCAA (North Carolina Athletics Association) think that it’s rude to keep bringing up poor PJ! He only smoked a little and didn’t inhale and even though the finger prints on the gun were his, it wasn’t registered to him. It belonged to his felon buddy that rented his high end cars for him.

Nothing to see here folks!

23. Vindatuk
    1:34 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

UNC and UF are about to be weakened, but I’m not sure what has happened to UL to weaken them. Losing Siva hurts, but Harrell looks to be vastly improved. I don’t think they’ll be as good as everyone thinks, but I think they’ll be much better than we give them credit for.

24. 90% of UL fans in Louisville live in the projects and leech off the government
    1:37 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

11. We’re gonna drop a load on your team Dec 29. UL was ranked in the preseason top 5 TLips

freshmen year in 05-06, and where did that team end up? That’s right, getting teabagged by

Renaldo Balkman and South Carolina in the NIT. So STFU.

25. Gman
    1:37 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I got a woodie! Glad he’s not eligible.

26. Jen
    1:38 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

This is ridiculous, and yet another example of how the NCAA makes horrible decisions that aren’t in the interest of young people. Let the kid go to UF, take his classes, get the necessary tutoring if he needs it, and play the sport he’s was blessed to be able to play at a high level. I can’t stand Florida, but I definitely don’t wish this on any young person, much less one that wanted to play at UK at one point.

27. Toothless Temp
    1:39 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

This info has been out for over 2 hours now…

28. Gman
    1:39 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

If UK had taken Walker’s commitment, Randle would have passed on UK. So Cal took Marcus Lee instead and got Randle in the spring. Cal did good.

29. Han
    1:39 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Huge hit for Florida and the SEC. Walker’s good from what I’ve seen. You have to think Kentucky is the undeniable favorite in the league, now.

Meanwhile, UNC has hung banners for teams that had academically ineligible players on their rosters, and they continue to have players getting free stuff.

11) Preseason #3 and most Kentucky fans were cautiously saying Top 10 preseason. We lost 6 of our top 7 from the year before. Disappointing season, but not a huge surprise the way you rivals try to act. We still probably would’ve made the big dance if Noel didn’t blow out his knee.

30. Han
    1:42 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

27) If he doesn’t have the grades, he should do what any other kid would do and go to a community college/juco, or go to a school with lesser standards. The fact that he’s an athlete doesn’t mean he deserves to just get into college when he’s not ready academically. He’s probably a 1-2 year college player (Billy D doesn’t have a lot of one-and-dones), so if playing in college and getting an education is important, he’ll go to Tulane or something for a year and then try to transfer to a D1 school. If it’s about his pro career, he’ll go to Europe or the D-league.

31. Icecream Man
    1:46 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Can’t unbake a cake.

32. Poopy Pants
    1:51 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

The Harrison twins and Young are next.

33. Yitbos
    2:02 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m sorry, but I don’t feel bad for the kid at all. Qualifying to play sports at a D1 school isn’t all that hard if you pay any attention in HS. This has nothing to do with the ncaa being in the wrong. Some people are just not smart enough to go to college no matter how good they are at athletics.

34. Jen
    2:03 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

31. You’re a hypocrite. All of this is about basketball, and the NCAA should recognize that these kids are gifted in their sport and place no more obstacles in front of these kids than they do for music students who are on scholarship, who are able to make as much money off of their skill as possible without jeopardizing their ability to be in school. It’s a shocking and disgusting impediment on these athletes’ freedom, but it’s no surprise that many who are so cowed to our society’s lack of real freedom would defend it.

35. Jen
    2:05 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

31. To spell it out even more plainly for you, his athleticism is a gift that should be honed and respected just as much as a kid skilled at poetry or chemistry. The fact that he attended a sorry high school too incompetent to make sure he took the right classes shouldn’t be an anchor around his neck.

36. Jen
    2:08 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

34. You don’t know what you’re talking about. From all reports his high school had no experience with keeping division I athletes eligible. But you want to fall back to some idiotic stereotype and blame the kid, as if you were perfect and farsighted at 14, 15, 16, and 17.

37. Yitbos
    2:27 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

How am I a hypocrite? College isn’t for everyone….you have to qualify to get in, if you can’t, tough. It’s not totally the kids fault, I blame him, his parents, and the school. I slept through HS and was smart enough to get into college. Not everyone is as lucky as I am, but college isn’t a right, it’s a privledge. I freely admit its tougher to get in now than it was, but this kid shouldn’t get a free pass at entry without being able to qualify for it.

38. truth
    2:35 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

5… Nothing wrong with a little weed

39. floorgeneral22
    2:44 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

31. Tulane is a D-1 school.

40. cracka
    2:49 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

can you just go straight to the d-league? before next year’s draft? are you sure this is an option? thought you had to be at least a year out of hs to have anything to do with nba or d-league. he could pull a brandon jennings and sign a one year deal overseas. walker can be a beast when he wants to.

41. PhilUK18
    2:54 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

38.

Damn right. It really isn’t hard to be D1 eligible. It’s not just the kid’s fault, like you said, but it definitely isn’t the NCAA’s fault either. I’m about as big a hater of the NCAA as you can find, but it isn’t their fault the kid couldn’t handle getting even the bare minimum GPA and test scores needed. If he had worked half as hard on his grades as he evidently has on his game, this wouldn’t be an issue for him. Tough luck.

42. RichRapp
    3:17 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Hey! He should do what most other athletes that can’t read and write do. SIGN WITH LOUISVILLE!!!

43. jpizzle
    3:20 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Kid’s a baller. Too bad we won’t get to see him play. Outside of our team, he was the freshman I most wanted to watch this year.

44. ChaneBehanan
    3:20 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

43.

Me thinkz yoo hav smrrt plan!

45. Alamo_CatFan
    3:49 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

37 – If colleges offered a major in basketball (or any other sport) then I’d agree with you. Unfortunately for folks like Mr. Walker, they do not.

46. Eric Bledsoe
    4:32 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I be’s a a berry smart student. I cans teach maff.

47. Chris Walker
    4:41 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

This is the reason why John Calipari didnt offer me. Im really stupid. I just know how to play basketball that’s all.

48. Annie
    4:43 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Some of you disgust me. This is a KID we are talking about. A kid who has not had any adults in his life provide him with any direction or support. He’s only been told that basketball will get him to where he wants to be. So that’s what he focused on. The people on here making jokes about a kid should be ashamed of yourselves. Did he say foolish things? Sure, but again, he’s a KID! What’s your excuse? Grow up. Chris is a good kid and I hope nothing but the best for him.

49. PhilUK18
    5:05 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

49.

By all means, he should focus on basketball. However, that doesn’t mean he’s entitled to completely ignore school and then expect to play basketball at an institution of higher learning with certain standards (which he has apparently failed to meet). It’t not like this is catastrophic for the kid anyway, he can go play in Europe for a year and make some money or go to the D League. It’s only Florida that really loses here, and f*ck them anyway.

50. Brian
    5:43 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

51. eh cod
    6:58 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Walker may be eligible, its still up in the air. If anything he will be eligible in spring semester it seems. So Kasey Hill, wilbekin, patric young, walker, va tech transfer, Michael frazier and yeguete they got. oh well kentuckys 9 is still more skilled and versatile

52. gog8ors
    7:31 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I told all of you stupid hillbilly fans that my expert sources told me that Walker will be a star at UF and UK will be sorry they didn’t get him..oh wait, what’s that? He is too damn stupid to play? Crap, my “expert sources” were wrong again, as usual.

53. Rich
    8:18 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

So 49, should he get extra credit for not having adults around him? What if he had one parent, maybe a little extra credit? Was he raised by wolves? I think of a kid as someone who can’t drive yet or has to have someone wipe his/her butt. I wish young man Walker the best too. Welcome to the real world.

54. mashburnfan1
    3:07 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Jen] don’t blame the kid, this is exactly what is wrong with this world. It is always someone else’s fault. The kid did not make the grades and I have seen this kid a few times and he acts like a punk. I am willing to bet he ends up with more than a basketball number at some point in his life, if he has not already had trouble with the law. He had the same opportunity to make grades that millions of others did, he did not take advantage of that probably because of his great ability you claim he has.

55. jason m.
    7:53 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

thats truly a shame, that guy was a beast. I’ll miss seeing our boys compete against him.

56. property
    10:57 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Normally I do not learn post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice post.