Florida’s Chris Walker may not be eligible until December

Kentucky is probably Chris Walker's favorite

The first day of class has started in Gainesville and Chris Walker still isn’t on the Florida roster. Walker has been trying to boost his grades to become eligible for this season, but it’s looking more and more likely that won’t happen until at least December. From the Gainesville Sun’s Kevin Brockway:

But in a more likely scenario, Walker may not enroll until December to ensure he meets NCAA eligibility requirements. He took three online courses over the summer in an effort to complete his core courses. Those grades then need to be reviewed by the NCAA Clearinghouse. Based on his last ACT score (16), Walker needs to finish with a 2.6 GPA or higher to gain initial NCAA eligibility.

Walker is a beast, so if the NCAA wants to wait until after the UK/Florida game on February 15th to declare him eligible, that would be great…

53 Comments for Florida’s Chris Walker may not be eligible until December

1. dubowski
    12:34 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

wasnt this the kid that was begging for an offer from Cal? Looks like Coach Cal really knows what hes doing.

2. Average Student
    12:37 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Man… I thought my grades were bad. 16 on the ACT?? Did he spell his name wrong?

3. Skeller03
    12:38 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Dear Lord…. A 16 on the ACT? I heard somewhere (not stating this is fact, just something I heard), that if you guess all C’s on it, you’re immediately in the 12-13 range… Hence the tip: “when in doubt, guess C”..

4. retwang
    12:42 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

i hope he didn’t play any pickup games this summer.

5. HateOrange
    12:45 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Funny. Now we know why Coach Cal didn’t offer this kid. He kept saying if he didn’t get an offer from Coach Cal he was going to commit elsewhere. As if Coach Cal could be pressured into making someone an offer. REALLY?!!! As #1 said, Cal really knows what he’s doing. Good call Cal!

6. O T I S
    12:46 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

The twins got 16 combined

7. Mrs. Donovan
    12:47 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

looks like i should’ve made that cake 25% smaller

8. JIMMIEUKFAN
    12:48 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Why hope the NCAA waits until after the UK/Florida game on February 15th? Don’t you want to beat another team while they are full strength? I hope the kid qualifies for the fall semester.

9. IowaCat
    12:55 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Why are this kid’s test scores being leaked, not cool.

10. Really?
    12:57 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Do you know what a hypocrite is #6? I’m sure you don’t but let me make it simple for you: Someone with your lack of academic prowess (oops sorry); your lack of academic achievement, should never throw stones. Get what I mean?

11. James Young
    1:01 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I got a 15 on the ACT.

12. Seriously
    1:02 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Considering the fact that we have 3 players that haven’t made it to campus yet, I’m not sure it’s a smart idea to be celebrating another program’s issues getting kids eligible.

13. Average Student
    1:05 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I know these kids put butts in the seats, but anyone scoring that poorly on SAT / ACT and not able to pass core classes in high school does not deserve to be playing at the University level. I don’t care who they play for.

14. Right
    1:07 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

#9 I agree with you. It’s B/S that the poor kid’s scores have been publicized. Isn’t that prohibited as a right to privacy? KSR needs to redact his score. Unnecessary and in poor taste.

15. To douches above...
    1:08 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

If James Young and the Harrison twins had scores like that, they would be going to Da-Ville, not UK!

16. Eric Bledsoe
    1:08 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I got to play because I good in the class.

17. cracka
    1:09 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

i would love to see walker and randle go at it a few times

18. Linda Taylor
    1:13 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Let’s all guess what exactly O T I S stands for. I’ll start out with:
    O – Obnoxious
    T – Tardcake
    I – Imbecile
    S – Sycophant

19. theSkinny81
    1:15 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

16 – Your grammar is a little off, but the spelling is impeccable. However, the course in question was math. Silly Eric.

20. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:15 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I hope he plays. It’s not going to be like last year where we need to win every regular season game just to make it in. The better the competition during the regular season, the better we’ll be come tournament time.

21. brain
    1:18 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Walker is athletic. Randle is a beast. Learn the difference.

22. yoooo
    1:19 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I’d like to see this kid eligible. Our young cats have too many cupcakes already in the form of the rest of the SEC. They’re good without
    him but not a top 10 team. Kid is a beast.

23. ChawlieStwong
    1:24 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

16 be hier than i be getn on dat test. leav da boy alone.

24. Musehobo
    1:26 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Ok, so classes have started in Gainseville and we still don’t have 3 players on campus? I was out for the weekend, so does anyone know 1) when classes start at UK? and 2) have we heard any updates about the twins and Young?

25. Número UNO
    1:28 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Amazing how the trolls talk about young and the Harrison’s ineligibility on every thread, regardless of how obscure it may be given the context of the post.

It makes you wonder what their envy and fear will drive them to shift to at the end of this week once all three are on campus? Do you think they plan their trolling that far in advance?

26. DREWBLUE
    1:32 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

My son took the ACT in 7th grade and received an 18. I’m sure not many Tard fans will reply similarly.

27. Student
    1:33 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

24 classes start the 28th. Cal said they’d be on campus by the end of the week, so all is well.

28. Glass House
    1:34 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

KSR and BBN, you shouldn’t throw stones when you live in a glass house (Calipari’s puppy mill). Let’s be honest, Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, John Wall, Archie Goodwinz, etc. Not to mention, the Twins and Young haven’t even been cleared yet.

29. O T I S
    1:35 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Congratulations to your son. Most of you people never make it to 7th grade

30. O T I S
    1:39 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I only made it to 5th grade.

31. [email protected]
    1:40 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

28 welcome to our house. We’re so glad you can’t stop swinging from our n.u.t.s.

32. adam
    1:49 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I dunno how many of you have taken the ACT recently but it is much easier than it was 10 years ago. When I took it in high school the reading completely screwed me. I didn’t have enough time to finish the section so I had to go with the all C approach for half of it. I took it again my freshman year of college to boost my score to be eligible for a program and could not believe how much easier the format was. The reading section is laid out so that each question tells you which line you need to look at to find the answer. I finished it in less than 20 minutes and go a 32 on it.

33. DREWBLUE
    1:51 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

29, would that be White, Black, Catholic, Protestant,or like “you people” responding from 7th and Jefferson, cell block A.

34. Mc
    1:52 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Move in date for Freshman students begins on August 23rd for the fall semester.

This is in line with when I went to UK. Classes started the 28th, and I moved in about 5 days earlier.

35. HackRichards
    1:52 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

16? Back 40 years ago whenever it did not count for anything and I was sick the day I took the ACT I scored a 12. Now I have 2 Masters Degrees. This guy should end up being a Rocket Scientist! 🙂

36. Kristen Geil's Abs
    2:04 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Seriously, Florida is second to Vandy as far as academics in the SEC. No way anyone with an ACT of 16 should go to school there. This is probably a calculated move, since if he went the first semester, he wouldn’t be eligible for the second.

37. J in Orlando
    2:05 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if there is an inverse relationship between ACT scores and time spent commenting on opposing teams’ message boards…

38. schmatts
    2:11 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I remember back in the day when Michael Bush got into UL with an 8 on his ACT

39. schmatts
    2:11 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

now that’s dumb

40. BBN
    2:12 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

27) being on campus and being eligible are two different matters.

41. Student
    2:14 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

40 LOL thanks but I am aware of that. However I have no doubt they will be eligible but thanks for trying.

42. Tomas
    2:18 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I don’t understand some of you and your obsession with eligibility. I hate seeing young kids not make it to college and put a obstacle to their dream. Hope the kids makes it to Florida and plays the whole season. Talented kid.

43. Ben
    2:20 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

My son in 7th grade last year took the ACT and scored a 19. My duaghter a junior in high school got a 31. It will be very hard for this guy to stay in school more than a semester!

44. D
    2:29 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

ACT doesn’t mean squat. I took it 12 years ago and got a 17. Served my time in the military then went to UK and graduated with high distinction.

45. J in Orlando
    2:34 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

38 Why single out Bush? That was the 3rd highest score on the team…

46. WHAT
    2:34 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

16. He scored a 16. I dropped a 24 and go to community college and this joker can play D1 athletics?

47. Einstein
    2:48 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

When will we find out if our three think tanks made it?

48. kes
    2:49 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

jesus this guy must be borderline retarded. we have 5 kids, the lowest any one of them got was a 29, and he retook it and got a 30.

49. Kristen Geil's Abs
    2:51 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

A score of 16 is really bad. This is someone who likely cannot conjugate verbs, probably can’t add single digits numbers, and probably has to use hook and loop instead of laces on his shoes. It’s a good thing he has a really tall/long bone structure, because it is his only hope at a decent life.

50. Drew Franklin
    3:23 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I took the ACT on Twitter

51. Musehobo
    3:26 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Oh gawd. Let’s get a few things straight.

1. We shouldn’t make fun of this kid, we probably have had several players with similar scores.

2. ACT is not necessarily an indicator of how well you perform in college. Doing your work (aka…discipline) is 75% of making it through college.

3. I want kids to be eligible. If you want to be a selfish d-bag and be happy that your competition weakens a bit, go ahead.

52. me
    4:00 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

#51 is right on.

Also, 16 isn’t really that bad of a score. The national average ACT score for graduating highschool seniors is about 21. The state average for Florida (where Crhis Walker is from) is 19.8. The standard deviation is around 5.2, which a score of 16 is within. (For those who don’t know, 68% of all scores will fall within 1 standard deviation, in this case 5.2, of the average. This means 68% of the scores are roughly between 15.8 and 26.2.)

If anyone is interested, this link contains the ACT score breakdowns by demographic groups:

This link has the average ACT scores by state, with further state-by-state details available by pdf download:

53. NBA league pass
    8:59 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

I agree with 51. I hope all these kids find a way to be eligible. Basketball is their chance to make something of themselves, that is fine with me. Bledsoe is a very good example of this.