Florida: Hate the player, not the team.

Florida doesn’t receive the hate that Louisville, Indiana, or Duke does, and that’s probably for good reason.  We can’t go around expending all the energy required to hate every team we come across.  The Gators weren’t really good enough to hate, historically, and their coach is a Kentucky guy that everyone I know likes quite a bit.  Even if he does have the biggest widow’s peak in history.

But while we don’t hate the team quite so much, there’s something about the Gators’ squad that always stands out: they have some of the most intolerable individual players on the planet.  Like just the worst.  To get ready for tonight’s game, I want to know: which Gator from the past five years did you hate the most?

Chandler Parsons

Look at him.  Just look at that smug face and try not to punch your screen.  Parsons is the kind of guy we’d probably like if he was a Wildcat, but he’s not, and he looks like Marshall Mathers’ weird brother that doesn’t come out of his basement room except to eat and buy Creed casette tapes.

Dan Werner

Nobody friggin’ likes Dan Werner.  Not even Dan Werner likes Dan Werner.  This Gator-watcher and Bleacher Report writer really hates Dan Werner.  You know why?  Cause he sucks.  Strong favorite for this poll.

Joakim Noah

You know how sometimes you glance at yourself in the mirror, and it sort of ruins your whole day?  I bet that happens to Joakim all the time.  You know when you have to smile to look better than the World’s Ugliest Dog, you’re doing something wrong.

Nick Calathes

More than anybody else on this list, I want to see Nick Calathes cry at some point in my life.  That’s on my bucket list right under “Release a dove from a ghetto rooftop.”  He looks like that one friend you had growing up that you hung out with because he had cool stuff at his house, like a trampoline, and his mom kept asking you if you wanted to come over.  And you felt bad, and you liked trampolines, so you said yeah.  But then you got over there and you realized that it was just you and Nick, and trampolines are only fun for like, fifteen minutes.  That’s Nick Calathes.  That’s one reason I love Jodie Meeks so much:

So who you got?  Feel free to send in a write-in vote, like maybe you couldn’t stand Alex Tyus’ ridiculous hair that was essentially the ant-Billy Donovan.  Or it’s possible that you don’t know how Erving Walker could stick around so long and not hit a growth spurt.  Whatever you want.  One thing’s for sure, though: even if we don’t hate the Gators’ team like we hate other teams, we can certainly hate on their players.  Cause that’s part of the game.

Article written by Corey Nichols

90 Comments for Florida: Hate the player, not the team.

1. Hays
    9:12 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

You all forgot about MATT WALSH

2. NashCat
    9:13 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I still hate Matt Walsh. I know…<5 years. I still hate Matt Walsh the most.

3. Walsh is Gay
    9:13 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

What about Matt Walsh? Maybe he’s too long ago, but I still remember the “Walsh is Gay” chants. Probably the loudest chant I can ever remember at a UK game.

4. Lee Todd
    9:14 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

No Matt Walsh mention?

5. Seriously...
    9:15 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

How could you leave off Matt Walsh?

6. Austin
    9:15 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Kind of think Walsh would be one of the most hated, but in those past 5, Joakim Noah by far. I hate how that guy always yelled. He gets fould, yells. Makes a free throw, yells. Calls a timeout, yells. Hated that douche.

7. rickshelton
    9:15 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

You must include Matt Walsh. He played from 2002 to 2005. Now he plays overseas where he belongs.

8. Matt Walsh
    9:15 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I hate me

9. Musehobo
    9:21 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Noah is the easy answer, but I really hate Parsons.

10. BigBlueBear
    9:21 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Joakim Noah and it ain’t even close

11. James
    9:21 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

The omission of Matt Walsh just reiteriates the continued ineptitude of this site. I remember when KSR was cool.

12. Walter sobchak
    9:21 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

This is exactly why I hate Florida. I really have nothing against the school but they consistently have douche turds on their team that are just begging to be hated.

13. Walter sobchak
    9:23 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Good God, people. He said last 5 years. It wouldn’t be fair if Walsh was included, he is easily the worst human of all time.

14. CatFanInClass
    9:23 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I was at that florida game with actually that exact same view (camera guy had to be close and i just didnt realize it) anyway to this day after ol nick went to the free throw line to try and tie it up that is the absolute loudest i have ever heard any sporting event possibley the loudest thing ive ever heard. It got to the point it wasnt even sound anymore just noise. Your ears didnt ring instead they had a sort of “whoomp-whoomp-whoomp” effect. Insanely loud and one of the best times ive had at a basketball game even though Billy was coach

15. Rockfield, KY
    9:25 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

2 words….. Andrew DeClercq

16. Steve
    9:25 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

You shouldn’t speak ill of the dead but Dwayne Schintzius was an all-time Gator hater.

17. Joe
    9:25 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Walsh and Roberson.

18. Joe
    9:26 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

oh yeah and Teddy Dupay.

19. Rockfield, KY
    9:26 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

But I don’t know if I hate anyone more than Joakim Noah

20. Shocklee
    9:27 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

You should mentioned the three missed free throws from Calathes after the Meeks GW three.

21. Twitter Account Denied
    9:28 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, I agree with everyone who hates Walsh. Dupay was a real turd, too.

22. Math
    9:29 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. 5 YEARS AGO WAS 2008. NOAH PLAYED IN 2007. SIMPLE MATH COREYYYYYYYYYY.

23. Lovemesomebachelor
    9:35 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

For me it is Easy! Calathes.

24. twcorn

Teddy Dupay #5

27. Sandy
    9:40 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Mike Miller and Matt Bonner

28. Will
    9:40 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

This list sucks and you fail miserably. Not only did you forget Matt Walsh who is universally disliked, you also left out stalwarts like Matt Bonner, Anthony Roberson, Mike Miller and Marreese Speights aka The Predator.

Did you just start watching Kentucky play when Cal got here? Don’t comment on the reviled players of the rivalry if you have no understanding or concept of the past beyond checking the current Florida roster. There has ALWAYS been at least one but usually two guys on Florida’s team nearly everyone hates going all the way back to Jason Williams (the white one I doubt you know about because of previously mentioned ignorance). Get your facts straight and post something worth reading next time.

29. RC
    9:41 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I Hate Florida!
    1. Noah
    2. Tebow

30. Teddy Dupay
    9:41 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

What about me too?

31. HouseofStark
    9:43 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I like the cut of Will’s jib.

32. Sandy
    9:43 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

COREY BREWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. MATT WALSH'S PLAYMATE GIRLFRIEND
    9:43 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I’m with him, not you.

34. JL
    9:44 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I got Joakim Noah. Even to this day, he’s still a punk and is open about his hatred for UK. I hope Nazr and Marquis teach him bout Kentucky!

35. PinkUKfan
    9:44 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I too still remember the “Walsh is Gay” chants at Rupp. My picks are Matt Bonner and Matt Walsh. Joakim Noah is right up there, too, though. How could Walsh not even make your list? Go back a few more years- our Florida hatred for that one obnoxious player runs deeper than 5 years.

36. UPvoter
    9:45 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

SINCE YOU KNOW ABOUT STEALING FROM REDDIT COREY, (SEE YOUR FACEBOOK/TWITTER), I WOULD UPVOTE COMMENT 28 UNTIL MY FINGER GOT TIRED.

37. Rockfield, KY
    9:46 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

28. Chill out. It’ll be okay. Plus, if you don’t list Andrew DeClercq then you haven’t watched UK all that long either. Complete dirty a$$hole of a basketball player.

38. Chadwick Laclemente
    9:49 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

We don’t have enough of them white boys on our team, look at teams like duke and florida, true champions with smart players

39. John Ellis
    9:49 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Is it true that Gillispie locked Meeks in the dirty laundry room all night after that game?

40. Matt Jones
    9:50 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Chandler Parsons is a cutey

41. ukbluek`
    9:50 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know when Lee Humphries played, but I always hated that guy.

42. ChicagoCat
    9:50 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Noah and it aint even close. He is the one thing preventing me from adopting the Bulls as my NBA team of choice. Can’t stand that guy.

Werner might be #2 because he was terrible but always talking trash. At least Noah could back it up and the other players on the list were decent or good.

43. John Ellis
    9:50 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I can remember when Florida was a joke on the schedule and a Coke was a nickel. Bygone days.

44. Biglaw Dawgin'
    9:51 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

“Look at him. Just look at that smug face and try not to punch your screen.” Haha, such a fiting statement for Parsons.

45. Tom Crean
    9:51 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Chilly Dawgs!

46. ukbluek`
    9:52 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I also love how half of the commentors are oblivious to the part where you said in the last five years. I’d wager there are as many ignorant morons in this state as there are hipsters in California.

47. bung
    9:53 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

neal walk was ok…

48. Merle Davis
    9:53 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

46. Why dont you calm down there dick weed

49. Boshek77
    9:56 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Andrew DeClercq – whole bag of douche

50. youknow
    9:57 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I had to go back and read it, like many here I thought why no Matt Walsh. I guess you have to limit this to the last 5 years so it doesn’t get out of hand, there is plenty of Gators to hate.

Glad I’m not the only one who hated Matt Walsh.

51. paducahfan
    9:59 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Neil Walk and Gary McLemore. I was at UF one year amd as I recall had to watch them beat the Cats twice. The year after the Runts.

52. AaronJ
    9:59 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Walsh is by far the worst.

53. Bubba Earl
    10:00 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Stacey Poole, Dwayne Schintzius!

54. ignorant moron hipster
    10:04 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I vote for that guy that played for g-town…

55. Eloy
    10:04 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I would say Noah from this list, Matt Walsh for all time, but I’m surprised UK fans dont hate Florida for ME!!!

56. Buddy
    10:06 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

It’s a tie between Joakim Noah and Matt Walsh. I couldn’t stand either one of them!!

57. Flordia sucks
    10:10 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Every body forgot Cross and the ” meat hook” hill. Who played for Lon Kruger? They sucked a$$!
    I still blame Tubby for Flordia’s 2 titles! Corey Brewer was the kingpin of those teams and wanted to come to UK and Tubby turned him down because he thought he was too skinny! With all the McDonalds all- America players Tubby was getting I guess he didnt need 1 more!

58. claiborne_field
    10:13 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

By far the worst… Anthony Roberson- total thug and scumbag

59. JimmyWa11
    10:23 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I hate Taurean (sp?) Green because his forehead was darker than the rest of his body.

60. Duke sucks
    10:23 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I get the 5 year thing but it’s impossible to make a list of hated Gators and leave Walsh out. Didn’t care a lot about the kid who quit during the season and went over seas. He was supposed to be a lottery pick and sucked.

61. The Predator
    10:28 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

ALEX TYUS

62. Stevie Ray
    10:31 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Matt Walsh hands down.

63. mudcreekmark
    10:33 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I know a bunch of UK fans hated Noah but I am one of the few that loved watching him play. He played with so much passion and hustle and was no doubt the reason Florida won back to back.I wish our players loved the game and played as hard as he did.

64. mudcreekmark
    10:35 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I hated Matt Walsh. He thought he was the shit. Not nearly as good as he thought he was.That was the most arrogant team in the history of college sports. If you remember their team is the one that was “supposed” to win it all. As soon as they all left, they win two in a row.

65. KSRgraduateschool
    10:39 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Biesner would not have left off Walsh. Hell BTI would not have left off Walsh. (bonus 10+ years ago hate: Teddy Dupay, Matt Bonner, Jason Williams, Andrew DeClerq, “Da Meat Hook” Demitri Hill)

66. Stevie Ray
    10:42 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

#64–Great points about that team. Plus the win against them in ’03 when they came in to Rupp ranked #1 was one of the best during the Tubby era. Great coaching. Great execution.

67. KSRgraduateschool
    10:43 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

And oh yeah, how soon we forget, Donnovan’s first big recruiting get…Mike Miller.

68. Smiley Pete
    10:46 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Why would you pick the last five years as your time frame? This leaves off the twosome hateable Florida players in recent memory. Walsh and Noah are by far the worst. Also, in case you were thinking, ‘that’s not fair, I included Noah’, just do a little math and you’ll realize he left in 2007 (I.e. more than five years ago)

69. Logan
    10:50 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

They left it off because it is more recent and has calapari in most of the years

70. Duke sucks
    10:54 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Jason Williams got drafted in the first round because of his game against UK. What did he get about 30?
    66) Great coaching the year we beat them and they where #1? I think it had more to do with Flordia being way overrated at that time. I think they might have lost the next 2 after we beat them! Wasn’t that the same year we went into the NCAA #1 overall and didn’t make the elite 8! Great coaching?

71. Jrod
    10:58 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

1a. Matt Walsh
    1b. Jokim Noah

72. Duke sucks
    10:59 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

28) Speights wasn’t the predator that was Tyus. Just saying.

73. liberla media
    11:00 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Matt Walsh by a long shot. Remember when R.Bradley threw the ball at him?

74. Duke sucks
    11:02 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Your on to something 71! Kinda hard to separate the two. Both were equally pricks!

75. CBrammer
    11:04 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

By far Noah

76. Duke sucks
    11:05 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

If Morris hadn’t been such a sorry ass the whole Noah thing shouldn’t have happened! If Morris had any want to he would have dominated Noah!

77. Will
    11:09 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

@37 Didn’t forget just didn’t need to list every single one that was leftoff. Teddy Dupey, Declercq, et al.

@72 Sorry got too worked up and confused the two.
    Also, though I didn’t like him , Dan Werner generally helped us in playing Florida. Probably more so than he would of had he committed to play at UK lol.

78. Duke Sucks
    11:18 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Other then Noah it’s hard for me to hate the rest of the team that won those championships. Noah ran his mouth and was a D- bag. Other then that I blame Tubby! Tubby had his best class the same year those players came in and he flat out under achieved! I don’t care how the Tubby lovers spin it but Billy D out coached him horribly with less talent. No way we should have played slow half court ball with Rondo, Crawford,Azibuke, and company!

79. kingrex
    11:18 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

This reminds me of an interview I read with JJ Redick where he said he had come to realize the reason he was hated so much was because he was White. The White fanbases around the country look out on the court and they more readily identify with JJ Redick because he is White. It is because of this that they are able to more comfortably put any negative feelings they have for Duke, the program, the school onto Redick himself. I believe there is something to this analysis because for years I loathed the Boston Celtics and hated Bird, McHale and Ainge more than I thought possible. Think about it….

80. Blue
    11:30 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t hate Werner…In fact, I loved him. He was a better player for us in a Florida uniform than he would have been had he committed to UK. Why is he even on the list?

81. Duke sucks
    11:39 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

79) I think Redick being hated had more to do with him being the best player on the most hated program then skin color! Most hated Shane Battier. If you watched the Fab 5 show even the blacks hated Grant Hill! People got tired of hearing Dickie V talking about Redick every game he did for 4 years. If you wanted to say most hated Redick out of envy I would agree but I have a hard time buying the whole race card.
    No doubt racism is alive and well in this country but not to the point the media would like you to believe! For such a raciest state that Kentucky is supposed to be we sure did like Chuck Hays a lot. Kentucky has been out frount in minority coaching hires. I think our fan base was very supportive of Tubby and Joker untill they started losing. I find it hard to believe we would have supported a white coach any more under the same situation.
    Kentucky is very raciest! Just not with skin color, we are raciest with w’s and L’s.

82. Marvin
    11:42 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Not that it hasn’t been already said repeatedly, but Matt Walsh being omitted is just terrible.

83. SAUL SCHMITT
    12:00 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

NOAH!!!

84. CUK02
    12:16 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

NICK CALATHES was a turd.

85. Big Blue B-Rad
    12:46 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

Calathes was annoying. I still remember watching that game where Meeks hit the game winning three against them at Rupp. Every time Calathes scored (and he had like 30 points) we had to listen to Jimmy Dykes talk about the game face he had during warm ups. It was the first time i ever truly became annoyed with Dykes.

86. rainman
    1:58 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

PUKE south,Nuff Said!

87. Jordan
    4:21 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

Noah looks like britney griner

88. tooter
    4:27 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

How do you write this and leave off Matt Walsh?? He should be number one..whats the deal here people?

89. jengland
    5:05 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

c’mon…kentucky cheerleader pom pom’s in the face followed shortly by the smuggest and poutiest reaction ever in rupp areana

joakim f*kn noah

90. jengland
    5:08 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

also…don’t think walsh or any other florida player during the donovan tenure could fire up uk fans like the jok(er) i.e. bozo the lottery pick