Four things we NEED to see from the Cats tonight

joker-ville
Photo by Clay Jackson

Listen: I’m one of the most devout Kentucky football fans you’ll ever meet. I cut my teeth on the Bill Curry years, rejoiced in the excitement of the Air Raid era, cursed Claude Bassett’s fat rolls, big a sad adieu to Guy Morris, and grew to love Papa Brooks and his homegrown tomatoes. During the preseason, I actually believed in the RISE movement. Now? Well, let’s just say I’ve reverted back to the my old wistful Kentucky football fan habits (other team scores? “At least we get the ball back.”). All that being said, even I can’t envision a Kentucky upset today (sorry, Desmond Howard). But, that doesn’t mean that the Cats can’t show us something. Here are a few things Kentucky fans NEED to see from this team to get the fan base back on board:

1. Better Blocking on the Offensive Line
We’ve gone over this a million times, but the offensive line was turrible last Saturday against Louisville. In fact, I’d go as far to say they are the Cats’ achilles heel at this point. Diss Morgan Newton all you want, but he was not the problem last week; in fact, he was one of the bright spots, considering what he had to deal with. The line didn’t give him any protection and failed to provide opportunities for the running backs. With all five starters back in the lineup, we must see improved blocking in order for the offense to get going. It won’t be easy…Florida’s linebackers make Louisville’s look like Will Stein.

2. Faster tempo on offense
Kentucky’s offense looked halfway decent a few times against Louisville: right before halftime and at the end of the game. In fact, that’s where we scored our two touchdowns. What made those two scoring drives so successful? The hurry up, no huddle offense the Cats used because time was running out. This week, just about everyone and their mom has encouraged the Cats to keep using the no huddle, and let’s face it: if we have a shot against Florida, it’ll probably be by catching them off guard. The hurry up offense could help this bizarre offensive unit find a rhythm and beat their worst enemies: themselves. Instead of overthinking and psyching himself out, Newton can operate on instinct. Hey, it worked when nothing else did against Louisville, right? However, Randy and Joker better have a back-up plan ready in case the hurry up offense fails…or things could get ugly (uglier?) fast.

3. Better coverage on the run, deep throws
Is it just me or has the defense just gotten scorched on long throws? For the most part, the defense has held it together this season, but give them a third and long and you may as well give the other team six. Yes, our red zone defense has been impressive, but when it’s just one receiver and one defensive back in the red zone, it’s been awful. And don’t get me started on the run defense. Louisville ran it for 181 yards last week, and if you think that’s bad, take a look at Florida RBs Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps. Rainey went for over 200 all-purpose yards last week against Tennessee and Demps might be the fastest man in college football. No, seriously: he’s the current NCAA Champion in the 60- and 100-meter dashes, the latter of which he posted a blazing 9.96 time in. That would have earned him sixth place in the 2008 Olympics. How do you even defend that? Danny Trevathan, Randall Burden, and Taylor Wyndham all better eat their Wheaties. In fact, they all need to eat their Wheaties while watching the tape of Wyndham’s hit against Tebow two years ago. On loop.

4. A team playing to win
By far the most discouraging thing I’ve noticed in this Kentucky team is their attitude. Most of the time, they don’t even look like they want to be out there. I realize there is little chance we win this game, but for me to continue to be a faithful fan, I need to see a spark. I need to see a fire in these kids’ bellies. Maybe it will be coming into the game as the underdog for the first time. Maybe it will be Charlie Weiss/Rick Minter rivalry thing. Maybe it will be the fact that they have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. But something has to change. I want these kids bopping on their toes, champing at the bit to play this game. Sure, they might lose, but at least they will have tried. I tried to fly Kyle Chandler out from Hollywood to deliver his best Coach Taylor pep talk, but apparently he’s still celebrating his win at the Emmys. So in lieu of that, I’ll just say this: have some pride, Wildcats. If you don’t, how can we?

41 Comments for Four things we NEED to see from the Cats tonight

1. Mr Schwump
    1:05 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Show you care.

2. MacGruber
    1:07 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

1 Win 2 Win 3 Win 4 Win….No more moral victory’s

3. The Whiz
    1:18 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

BTW instead of writing this horrible peace she could have told us that Fred Tiller 3 Star from GA committed.

4. Blue Genius
    1:20 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

3, I believe it’s “piece”. “Peace” is what we’ll have when we finally beat a good SEC team again.

5. The Whiz
    1:21 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Maybe instead of your opinion that no one cares about, you could have told us that Fred Tiller 3 Star from GA committed.

6. Gary
    1:23 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

you forgot to mention more points

7. Ms. Tyler Thompson
    1:25 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

3, 5 – That happened on Tuesday. Get with it.

8. The Whiz
    1:25 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

4, are you really the guy that corrects comments grammar? Good for you.

9. big tim
    1:26 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

5 they did the other day

10. The Whiz
    1:29 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Tyler…I would get with it but I have a life. I assume people who are “bloggers” about KY would have mentioned that somewhere yesterday so fans could come to a centralized location and see it, but they didn’t. I guess you were too busy telling us about your sweet wagers and needs for the game.

11. The Whiz
    1:31 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

And further, since I have now looked on my own, he committed on the 20th. Maybe you could…”get with it”

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but I don’t like your type Thompson. Meaning I like men.

12. chiddarcheddar
    1:33 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

3 aww did you finally get ur newspaper today?

13. Ms. Tyler Thompson
    1:34 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

11 – Um, the 20th was Tuesday.

14. BCO
    1:35 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

i thought it was a good article, myself. and plus ive already heard about the tiller committment both on here and on the radio. they covered it. do you want KSR to do a liveblog and have an hourlong segment on KSTV about it? Sheesh.

15. Morgan Newton SUCKS!!!
    1:37 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

You forgot the 5th thing that needs to happen and the sixth thing as well:

5th: Morgan Newton needs to pack his bags and go home.
    6th: Joker needs to retire.

Then, maybe then UK will hire Mike Leach.

Florida rolls: 66-3

16. The Whiz
    1:43 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Really? That’s the best you could come up with was to edit my post (and yours btw) to say “I like men”???? Awesome. You would think someone with your sweet blogging resume’ could do better. Your writing and imagination truly are worse than I had originally thought.

17. Sparks T-shirt sleeves
    1:43 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

11) what is wrong with you? If you don’t like the posts, don’t read them. Everything you are pissing and moaning about has been covered. They reported the commit, it was on the 20th, which was tuesday. What else is there to complain about other than telling us all that you are into dudes?

18. anthonyeppsdrivingschool
    1:49 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

People get loud and proud on blogs because they cant be seen.

19. kywineman
    2:01 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

#11 Were you born so rude and ignorant or are you self made?

20. SexnNursinHomes
    2:03 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Today is the day we will see what we really are. ul game I can excuse, but if we get beat 63-7 or 72-14 or 58- 16 then we are definitely in for a loooooooooooooooooooooong season

21. Kid
    2:03 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

23-21 kentucky shocks em on a last second field goal

22. schwing
    2:05 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

champing

23. Big D
    2:20 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Tyler, don’t take crap from someone who has named theirself from a weak remake of a movie classic. He needs to take a whiz.

24. shields eyes
    2:31 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

The Whiz = Egg-No-Ra-Moose

25. ukfastkat
    2:56 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

OK, former SEC Champ for UK and Honors English student (just sayin’, we do have student-athletes).
    Gotta give Miz TT some love for the rare CORRECT usage of the term “champing at the bit”. I cringe every time the other KSR writers, including a certain Duke law grad, use “chomping”.
    Guess it helps that we went to school in horse country where the correct term originated, but PROPS nonetheless for bringing some much-needed proper English to this otherwise wonderful site.

26. buck nasty
    3:25 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Hey Whiz STFU, that is all

27. The Whiz needs to go have a piss (spoken in your best cockney, not british, accent since your in to dudes, unless of course your actually are a woman which is ok).

With the exception of the CMU game when no one in our secondary seemed to want to press their under sized wrs, we have largely been beaten by well thrown footballs. With the right placement a corner, seam, go or sluggo route are tough to defend if the qb is on time and target.

Which leads me to my biggest complaint, CATCH the DAMN ball ESPECIALLY when it’s for a score. SECURE the ball once you catch it and know when to GET DOWN! By my count we have had at least 3 and up to 5 touchdowns erased because of dropped passes or fumbles after the catch. In 3-4 of those instances the results of the game would have been totally different. All but Demarco Robinsons fumble have happened early killing momentum.

I’ll give the O-line a pass for one more week because we haven’t seen the starting line that every one has promoted in the lineup yet. This will be the first time and offense lines are a unit, they have to play together. If they get a shot on the goal line and settle for a field goal again that won’t cut it. Maybe the REAL starting line will get the call on 4th and goal. If not for that play and a fumble by King the Cats are up 14 and the cards go down hard.

If we get drilled by 40+ tonight, I’m at a loss and Randy Sanders might have to start looking for new residence because an asst coach will go before Joker.

28. The fifth thing: keep the margin of victory under 50.

29. That Gator Ate My Wildcat
    3:39 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

I can take a contested loss, I just don’t want to get “Curryed”.

30. UK Buckeye
    4:03 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Tyler, #4 goes for the coach as well. Need to see, on the rare occasion that the camera recognizes there is a UK sideline, the coach over there on fire trying to rally the team. Take some chances. The team needs to see that too. Try to win for goodness sake. Go Cats.

31. George Costanza
    4:24 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Whiz u ok man?

32. Mr. T's Mohawk
    4:29 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Would also like to see the Cats play with heart tonight. Tyler, you do a great job ! Keep up the good work !

33. Jimmy Buffett
    5:14 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

only four things

34. Jimmy Buffett
    5:16 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

28: We’ve already been Curryed, Kragthorped and Coopered. See comment 15, #6

35. Holden McGroin
    5:39 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Whiz, i don’t believe any of us would miss you if didn’t come back. what a Child.

36. gcat4496
    5:47 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

How about we need one of these things to happen in order to beat Florida:

#1. They miss the bus & don’t show up for the game and forfeit.
    #2. Florida uses an ineligible player and later has to vacate the win.
    #3. Florida turns the ball over 15 times tonight.
    #4. The Refs conspire and call 500 yards of penalty on Florida and 0 on the Cats.
    #5. Florida players are bought off to lose and throw the game.
    #6. UK has 11 extra invinsible players on the field to help defend and block.
    #7. UK secretly dresses out the Green Bay Packers for tonights game, inlcuding Mr. Cobb.
    #8. Florida’s entire teams gets the stomache flu and has severe diarrhea during the game.
    #9. UK intercepts Florida’s play calling and knows every single play.
    #10. Joker, allows Vince Lombardi from the grave to coach through him tonight.

37. KING REX #3
    5:52 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Maybe show up ready to play??? Maybe prepared?? Maybe talented?? Worst UK team in history!!!!

38. Holden McGroin
    6:45 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

good post Miss Ty.

39. Scott In Tallahassee
    6:46 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

To paraphrase Vern Lundquist from earlier to day: for Kentucky to beat Florida they will have to score more points. Man is brilliant.

40. Sick of this
    7:42 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

Jokester has got to go. Its not like this is really his second year. The offense is painful to watch and the defense is non-existant. All I see is penalties, turnovers, and dropped balls, all things that need to be taken care of by the coach. Everyone thinks that this team has come a long way in recent years under Brooks/Phillips. It has not. Everyone wants to talk about these bowl games we’ve been in. I mean, all we have done is win all of our non-conference games against NAIA joke schools and we are typically competent enough to beat louisville. We somehow manage to win 1 or 2 SEC games and go to a fake bowl game. This has got to stop. I’m tired of watching terrible football. And believe me, as a lifelong Bengals/UK fan, I know terrible football. I wish our football was something to be proud of, not just a reason to drink at 10am on a saturday. Time for a revolution.

41. mike
    10:24 pm September 24, 2011 Permalink

this post needs retitled………4 things we did not see tonight!