Five Cats named to Athlon’s Preseason All-SEC Teams

terrence-jones-sec-tournament

More preseason accolades are rolling in, which means more love for the Cats. Athlon Magazine named five Cats to their Preseason All-SEC Teams. Anthony Davis and Terrence Jones made the First Team; Michael Kidd-Gilchrist the Second Team; and Marquis Teague and Doron Lamb the Third Team. Terrence Jones was named Preseason SEC Player of the Year and Anthony Davis Preseason SEC Newcomer of the Year. Predictably, the magazine predicted the Cats to finish first in the SEC:

1. Kentucky

Jeremy Lamb, UConn
Tyler Zeller, North Carolina

17 days.

35 Comments for Five Cats named to Athlon’s Preseason All-SEC Teams

1. GoCats2
    1:09 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Why is Chuck Hayes playing for Alabama?

2. Al's IndiCats
    1:18 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Indeed, 17 and waiting……

3. comebackcat
    1:21 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Doron Lamb keeps getting overlooked! I hope he uses this as motivation, as he could be the leading scorer for our team next year, and potentiall SEC player of the year.

4. Aaugh
    1:26 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Why is the iPhone app the buggiest thing on my phone? Freezes up, answers “null”, closes entirely on its own… Fix it, pleeeaase.

5. Carl
    1:31 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Grats to the CATS !!

6. Owensborocatfan
    1:31 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

I think Miller is being overlooked as well… I look for him to have a great year!

7. The Warden
    1:35 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

I hate Florida but they have a really good team due to exceptional guard play with Boynton, Beal, Rosario & Walker. It is very difficult to beat a team with strong guard play (1996 UMASS team comes to mind). Therefore, winning the SEC is far from guaranteed. It will be UK or UF.

8. ardee
    1:49 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

as bart scott would say…”can’t wait”

9. Marcus L. Owens
    1:59 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

All these All American but they have as tied (#2) with Ohio State in its TOP 10?

10. Cats4life
    2:00 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

I just don’t see Gilchrist having the type of season to earn 2nd team all-sec. I feel confident that Jones, Davis, & Lamb will be the top 3 scorers (Not necessarily in that order) and then it wouldn’t surprise me if Miller and Teague average more points per game than Gilchrist. It’s just hard for me to believe he will make the 2nd team if he is roughly the 5th leading scorer on his team. Granted he could have a huge impact on the boards and on defense but its just hard for me to put him above Lamb on that list. Either way, it’s great for the cats and I can’t wait to watch Kidd-Gilly and the rest of the CAYTS develop into one of the All-Time Great teams!!

11. David E.
    2:08 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

7 – I will bet you on that. UK will win the SEC.

12. Marcus L. Owens
    2:11 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

7. Exceptional guard play? What makes them exceptional? None are college All Americans, none are projected lottery picks this year and they havent played one game together. So again, what makes them exceptional?

13. Marcus L. Owens
    2:13 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

@#$%

14. Jezz
    2:21 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Kinda surprised there’s no love for Miller whatsoever. He will start and hopefully make the most of it.

15. NOTCraig
    2:22 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Agreed that UF will have very good guard play. Beal is a stud. Is Billy D. going to start 4 guards? They will need some help. You will need a calculator to count the number of times Walker’s shots will be swatted by Davis.

16. Marcus L. Owens
    2:27 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

10. You must have never seen Gilcrest play.

17. The Warden
    2:28 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

#12: Beal is fantastic but even assuming he is not a shooting guard, Rosario & Boynton are strong enough. Throw Walker in the mix and they are dynamite. Worry less about star ratings and draft projections and see for yourself. I think UK, UF or possibly will win the league.

18. The Warden
    2:30 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

…or possibly Vandy will win the league.

19. Eric
    2:35 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Seen Gilchrist live – At the Jordan Brand classic. HE is something special and will more than likely be everyone at KSR’s favorite player by seasons end. Really surprised McAdoo is not on those lists, he will probably be much more to the team than Zeller or Barnes!

20. pioneer
    3:00 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

The Warden needs to go back to LaGrange, there wont be enough shots for all those jump shooters. Good luck!

21. Colorado Cat
    3:00 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

#4 I agree…please FIX THE APP!!!

22. Marcus L. Owens
    3:01 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

19. I live in Charlotte but was out of town the weekend of the Jordan Brand Game. McAdoo is the player that makes UNC the toughest to match up with bc they can play him instead of Henson at the four, he is going to be a good one. I still dont think they have an answer for T. Jones. Cant wait to match up with UNC and show who has the best team in the country. Gilchrist will be a difference maker and will turn a lot of heads there is no doubt in my mind.

23. Cats4life
    3:13 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

16. You’re right, I’ve never seen Gilcrest play. I don’t even know who that is. I have however seen GilCHRIST play multiple times and his offense is the, for lack of a better word, weakest part of his game. The “experts” seem to think the same and according to Matt, the UK folks think he isn’t where they hoped he would be. In no way am I trying to take a shot at Gilchrist bc I think he is a great player but based on his style of play and what the UK ppl have said so far, it just surprised me that he would be put on the 2nd team and instead of Lamb. Gilchrist will be a good player on defense and rebounding and just flat out playing hard all the time, but it would be surprising if he is the first or second leading scorer.

24. CAUKFAN
    3:15 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Terrence Jones; now there’s something to look forward to. I’ll bet he tears it up this year.

25. Marcus L. Owens
    3:50 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

*&^%

26. boyfrombinghamtown
    3:57 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

I believe order is restored. We’re 4 games into the football season and basketball can’t come soon enough. Just lost to the “gaytors” by 38. I hate to say it, but we just saw our glory days in football at end of Rich’s era. Not a hater, just being realistic…….17 days……

27. Waaa
    4:00 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Gilchrist is not getting his props.

28. Not Suffering Fools Gladly
    4:29 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

I agree, #27.

29. Seriously
    4:33 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Wow! The basketball team almost matches the football team when it comes to talent.

30. Marcus L. Owens
    4:42 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

I cant see any posts past 22?

31. DTra1n
    5:09 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Doron deserves better. Nuff said.

32. Michael Gilchrist's Mom
    5:44 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Hmmm, Michael Gilchrist on the second team and Darius Miller not mentioned, yet people are saying that Miller will surely start over Gilchrist? I don’t think so…

33. Pin the Tail on the Beez
    9:21 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Add one more to the Lamb not getting enough props club…

34. Waaa
    11:34 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

#20: Keep talking and I’ll pull you out of that one bunk Hilton and cast you down with the sodomites. You’ll think you’ve been fu$cked by a train.

35. Warden
    11:36 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Damn. Waaa stole my line.