First day of summer vacation links

Summer is great

I just finished up all my finals for the year and today is my first full day back home for summer vacation. How am I going to spend that day you ask? By hanging out with you people and making sure no big news goes unreported. I couldn’t be more ecstatic, or, you know, whatever the closest thing to ecstatic in this situation is. Anyway, let’s do these links:

John Calipari talked a little bit to the guys over at the Salt Lake Tribune about what Brandon Knight could potentially bring to the Jazz. He discusses his intelligence, his shot making ability, his will to win and he even makes a John Stockton comparison. Coach Cal knows how to appeal to his audience.

– Recently, Mitch Barnhart, Joker Phillips, Danny Trevathan and Stuart Hines made a good will trip to Ethiopia and yesterday they talked to the media about their time there. Eric Lindsey at Cat Scratches put together this piece on their experience. There are some pretty powerful stories in it, and it makes you proud to see what high character guys we have representing UK.

The Courier Journal reports that there is still no TV assignment yet for the UK-UofL football game.

– The folks over at Hoops World have compiled an NBA mock draft 6.0 addition. There’s nothing we haven’t really seen in it. Mock drafts are fun.

The viewership of this year’s NBA finals is slightly down from last year’s numbers, but considering last year featured the marquee match up of the Celtics and Lakers, the numbers from this season are pretty impressive. Plus, one of the teams in the finals is Miami. If there are worse sports fans in the entire country than the ones in Miami, I’ve yet to see them. Frankly, they disgust me. The Miami Dolphins went 2-6 at home last season and 6-2 on the road. What? Come on. That’s what happens when you play Gloria Estefan music in between quarters. People of Miami, please grow a set and start supporting your teams. The trashy clubs will still be there if you decide to stay for the entire game. You don’t need to show up in the second quarter and leave after the third. Also, I saw a family with two young boys sitting court side one game. The kids had button down shirts on. Seriously? Buy your kids some jerseys or t-shirts or something. It’s just the perpetuation of terrible fandom. Sorry. I hate Miami sports fans. But yeah, viewership is solid.

Vancouver won game five of the NHL finals to take a 3-2 series lead over the Bruins. What? You don’t care? Me neither.

That’s all I got for right now. We’ll have some fun today.

Article written by Matthew Hays

9 Comments for First day of summer vacation links

1. duhville cat
    10:12 am June 11, 2011 Permalink

Thanks for coming in today Matthew…. Now, entertain us dammit! Ha!

2. RondosDribblingHand
    10:26 am June 11, 2011 Permalink

Yes Matthew, you know how fickle we are. BTW, its one more day closer to the madness.

3. Rob
    10:48 am June 11, 2011 Permalink

NBADraft.net is projecting Enes and Knight with the 1st and 4th picks.

4. Chris
    11:20 am June 11, 2011 Permalink

I actually do care about the Stanley Cup Finals. Thought you ought to know since you asked (in the last line of your post). Great series, actually. Congrats on finishing finals.

5. Matthew Hays
    11:36 am June 11, 2011 Permalink

4.) Apologies.

6. GOCATS
    12:06 pm June 11, 2011 Permalink

Ryan Harrow seems like a fun guy and really already loves the BBN glad to see him here along with the other guys.
    How good is Twany Beckam??

7. just-ice
    12:17 pm June 11, 2011 Permalink

Stop hatin on Miami

8. ukfandavid
    6:46 pm June 11, 2011 Permalink

I think you should stop hating so much on the miami heat and then in the same breath talk about how uk bball has so many haters. I am a huge uk fan and have been since childhood. I have witnessed first hand how many people hate the team and program I love so much. I have seen many statements on this site (which i love btw) regarding the “uk haters” that only hate uk because of the winning tradition and standard of all around excellence that uk basketball has achieved and sustained for decades. Since this years NBA finals began all i keep hearing from this site is the same kind of hate towards miami that so many people throughout the country throw at uk men’s bball all the time. What is the big problem with the heat? Is it jealousy because the organization (don’t forget a key piece of that is UK GREAT PAT RILEY) was smart enough to put 3 all stars together (2 of them mvp players) and reach the finals in the first year? This whole “hate the heat” thing sounds pretty similar to why people “hate the uk wildcats” because we put the best talent we can find together and make it to the final four the 1st year…it all comes down to JEALOUSY!!

9. Tokyo Satchel
    8:45 pm June 12, 2011 Permalink

I wouldn’t say they are the worst sports fans as much as they don’t like Ametican sports. Miami has a population of around 1 million people, less if you just coun the city, and about 20% don’t speak English and 40% speak English as a second language. So you see, nearly half of Miami’s residents were born in another country or are one generation removed.

The second problem is the high age demographic. Over 30% of Miami’s residents are over 60 and I know a significant amount of snowbirds resid in Miami only during the winter and return to the north when it starts to get hot.

So you see, Miami has as fractured demographic as I have ever sawn in the US. Many of the immigrants hve not assimilated. And when I cold called business there I often saw signs that said, ” se habla ingles.”