Firios describes why he picked Kentucky over Louisville

nico_firios

Anyone tired of Yahtzee yet? Me neither.

Nico Firios’ commitment takes the UK 2014 class to FOURTH in the nation. The talented linebacker from Florida was also being courted by Louisville, and opened up to the Orlando Sentinel about his decision to play his college ball in Lexington:

“Kentucky and Louisville were really the final two for me,” Firios said. “When I was at Louisville last week it was great and I like everything about Coach Charlie Strong and what they are doing there, especially with the defense, but then I went to Lexington and visited UK and I was so impressed. That just made me feel like it was the place I needed to be.”

And in case there was any doubt, the staff was thrilled when Firios called to tell them the news only an hour or so ago:

They were screaming and passing the phone around and Coach [Mark] Stoops was saying he was so excited to have someone with my character and ability joining the team,” Firios said. “He said with my commitment that would probably put them in the top five recruiting classes in the nation for 2014.”

Firios was recruited by Chad Scott, who is quickly becoming one of the hottest recruiters in the SEC, along with Vince Marrow. Firios says he was encouraged by Mark Stoops and DJ Eliot’s track record of turning the defense around at Florida State, and was charmed by the “southern hospitality” he received in Lexington:

“A lot of the coaching staff just came from FSU and they just turned the defense around there, so they have a track record of turning defenses around. They also just really showed me how much they wanted me and made me feel right at home. I could just tell they have good intentions and are just good people. Not that Louisville didn’t have that, but I just felt comfortable at UK. …Everyone on campus was so nice and I guess it was just that southern charm and southern hospitality. They were all just the nicest people I have ever met in my life. It just made me feel like that is where I am supposed to be.”

Welcome to the fam, Nico.

15 Comments for Firios describes why he picked Kentucky over Louisville

1. Louisville 1 Cal 4
    1:50 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Suck it Louisville! It won’t be long before we are the superior team in Kentucky again.

2. Rich
    1:53 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

I’m excited about the direction this staff is taking us, I just hope these recruits can weather watching this season unfold and still stay committed. I’ll feel better when they sign.

3. I Say
    1:57 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

How exactly is his last name pronounced? Fiery-os, like cheerios?

4. MustangCat
    2:12 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Wait till we land the Berrios kid!! Firios, Berrios! Floreal!!

5. LigginsLoveSAT
    2:21 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Kid seems like he’s well spoken with some high character. Of course the southern hospitality of Lexington would charm the fella

6. MustangCat
    2:53 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

This kid seems to read offenses very well. in his highlights, he was blowing up plays quickly. Looks to have terrific speed. When the Stoudemire kid commits, which i thought we’d hear about already with Ware re-committing, we’ll have some tremendous LB prospects coming in. This makes seven (7) 4-star players in this class so far. Two of those are consensus 4-stars, and two others are 4-star on 3 out of 4 boards! I don’t understand how ware can be a top 100 recruit on two boards, but rivals has him a 3-star? Then Rivals has this kid a 4-star?!?! ESPN hasn’t even rated 7 of our commits?! What’s up with them?

7. CatFanInChattanooga
    2:58 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Go to Youtube and check out his highlight tape. He is a very impressive linebacker. Just a absolute stud when it comes to tackling and reading the play.

8. El Pollo Loco
    3:17 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Welcome aboard! Sounds like a very good kid. I look forward to watching him develop and seeing his Sr season.

9. jonathan
    4:13 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

7, I asked Justin Rowland about Ware’s reclassification as a 3* and he said it had to do with his measurable, prolly a little undersized at 6’1, 220, but that should be irrelevant really when you look at him on film and see his offers. As far as espn, they only rank the top 150 players at this point, anyone outside of that won’t have a ranking until later on in the year.

10. Don
    4:30 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Southern hospitality? Kentucky isn’t a southern state.

11. No Twitch
    4:43 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

#11, Take it back and don’t ever say that again!

12. Biglaw Dawin'
    8:02 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

And we can add him to the list of fun names on the football team.

13. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    9:07 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Welcome Mr. Firios

14. goUKats
    9:25 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

#11 must not know that Kentucky lies just South of the Mason Dixon Line and is therefore classified as a Southern state.

15. Dee W.
    1:16 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

#11 – when did that change? Did the committee that voted and declared Pluto to no longer be a planet also vote to erase Kentucky’s culture and location and we missed it?