Felix Baumgartner’s Tuesday News and Views

Professional daredevil Felix Baumgartner will make history on Tuesday morning when he breaks the speed barrier without the use of a vehicle. The only thing left to find out is if he’ll be alive and still in one piece when his body reaches almost 700 mph.

Baumgartner will rise in a balloon to 120,000 feet above New Mexico before he steps out and takes the plunge back down to Earth. The mission, called Red Bull Stratos, will shatter the marks for fastest freefall, longest-duration freefall and highest manned balloon flight.  If things go as planned, the Stratos team hopes to gather information that could contribute to the development of life-saving measures for astronauts and pilots. If things don’t go as planned, well, I’ll let you imagine how the scene will look when Baumgartner meets the ground.

For those of us who will be sitting safely back here on Planet Earth, Red Bull will broadcast the freefall live on its YouTube account at around 8:30 a.m.

This is crazy.

The quarterback situation at Kentucky has gotten so bad, Joker Phillips is taking a true freshman walk-on to Arkansas in case the unfortunate string of luck continues. Patrick Towles is out with that high-ankle sprain, as Matt discussed in his Monday evening notes, so Jeff Witthuhn from Bowling Green will dress against the Razorbacks.

It’ll be an exciting day for Jeff Witthuhn and Jeff Witthuhn only. I think I speak for all of #BBN when I say we’re not thrilled about having to send a fifth quarterback, with zero experience, on the road as a backup to the backup plan.

In order for Kentucky to avoid a beatdown in Fayetteville, Joker Phillips needs to see Jalen Whitlow get rid of the ball quicker than he has done in his previous two games. When asked about what Whitlow needs to do against Arkansas, Joker said, “Getting the ball out of his hands quicker. Again, decisions, he has to make decisions a lot quicker.  Is he open?  Is he open?  No.  Let’s go.  Go.  Run it.  Throw it.  Get it out of your hands.  Let’s not get ourselves in a broken play situation.”

Getting rid of the ball means taking less hits, which means less of a chance of needing Morgan Newton or Jeff Witthuhn.

Please, please, please, please stay healthy, Jalen.

Arkansas is currently favored by 17-points over Kentucky, according to most offshore gambling websites. Remember, Arkansas has already lost home games to Louisiana-Monroe and Rutgers this season.

The fine people over at Cats Illustrated spoke to Huntington Prep head coach Rob Fulford and he told them he is uncertain if Andrew Wiggins will attend Big Blue Madness or head home to Toronto for the three-day weekend.

“With our fall break this weekend and practice starting next week this might be the last chance that he’ll have to come home until the season ends,” Fulford told the Rivals site. “He hasn’t given me any indication yet that he’s going home this weekend, but obviously he wants to see his family.”

If Wiggins chooses to go see his family, which would be completely understandable, Fulford wants UK fans to know it has nothing to do with the Cats and won’t have any impact on his recruitment.

He said, “I’m sure he’ll be there soon if he doesn’t make it this weekend. If Kentucky fans don’t see Andrew this weekend there is absolutely no reason to hit the panic button. There’s no doubt that Andrew will get down to Kentucky for at least one game this season.”

Monday was Canadian Thanksgiving; that could be even more of an incentive to go home and see his family.

The Charlotte Bobcats and the New Orleans Hornets will go head-to-head Tuesday night, meaning Michael Kidd-Gilchrist versus Anthony Davis with a side of Darius Miller. The game will not be televised but I plan on scouring the internet for any kind of a live feed. I’ll make sure the link gets posted on here if I come up with anything.

Eric Lindsey over at CoachCal.com has an article on how Kentucky’s up-tempo style plays perfectly into Kyle Wiltjer’s game. Calipari said, “He’ll be behind the ball all the time, so now he’ll take it out, we are flying, and if he rebounds it, he’ll be behind it. If he doesn’t rebound it, he’ll still be out ahead and he’ll be fine. And we still may try him into a dragging screen. What I like is we fly and as the ball comes back, it’s coming back to his hands. Now you have a skilled player.”

Cal expects Wiltjer to average somewhere around 15 points per game for the Cats in 2012-13.

Kentucky target Jahlil Okafor shared a great quote from Coach Cal over on his blog at USA Today’s high school basketball site. It went like this:

When I talked with coach (John) Calipari after practice it was cool because it was my first time talking with him. He offered me a scholarship and he reminded me of how well he did with the last two big recruits from Chicago —Derrick Rose and Anthony Davis — and how they were both No. 1 picks. He told me he didn’t think I’d be any different. That was pretty big for me.

Coach Cal is just really cool. I liked him. One thing that he told me that I thought was cool was when he said he’s 50-something years old and that he doesn’t need to call me every day. He said he would if I needed him to, but then he was like, “What do we really have to talk about? I want you at my school and that’s that.” It just showed me how laid-back he is.

That’s so Cal.

REMINDER: Kentucky Sports Radio radio is giving away Big Blue Madness tickets all week so be sure to tune in to the show if you’d like to attend the greatest spectacle in the history of basketball practice.

It’s almost here, folks. It’s almost here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Felix Baumgartner’s Tuesday News and Views

1. HillbillyInBC
    11:48 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

“That’s so Cal.”

That’s so not Crean.

2. Bobbum man
    11:50 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Come on down?

3. PK
    11:54 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I heard Cal is recruiting Felix Baumgartner to land in Rupp Arena with the game ball to start midnight madness! Go Cayats! #BBN

4. Head Bussa
    11:58 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Are you trying to insinuate that some UK fans who gamble should take the 17 points? Hold your horses if so. You do realize that La.-Monroe and Rutgers would both beat UK, right?

5. Catlogic15
    12:07 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Whitlow won’t (can’t see progressions) stand in the pocket long enough to get hurt so he’s good for the rest of the year.

6. tdogg40330
    12:14 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

I have 1 FREE BBM ticket to whoever wants it, its nose bleed seat but atleast it
    will get ya in the door. I wont be in Lexington, so if ya interested lemme know.

7. Claydeildcat
    12:57 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

I would really enjoy that ticket. Contact at [email protected]

8. Jason
    12:58 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

So wait, he’s basically going to free fall from touching SPACE? Next year will they attempt to top it by launching off the moon?

9. SeaCat
    1:34 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

5) good point, Wiltjer won’t either.
    last one down the floor, pop a three!
    Perfect for Kyle.

10. Leeroy Jenkins
    4:20 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

WTH?!? Did I just see a UofSmell ad at the top of this page? Seriously?

11. Chris
    5:57 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Joker,it is time to resign. Do the honorable thing. At least Billy Gillispie quit on his own.

It is time to start calling Joker “the ex coach in waiting”.

12. ribin
    6:22 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Congrats and good luck to Jeff Witthun — a great kid — competitor.

13. Beavis
    6:43 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

# 5, problem is,,,the linebackers chasing Whitlow are just as quick as he is and they out weigh him by about 30 or 40 pounds. Welcome to the SEC. The other teams know we can’t run the ball and that makes the QB a sitting duck. Thats why Smith stays hurt,,,the D knows exactly where he is going to be and our O line can’t stop s+++.

14. Morgan newton
    7:01 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

And to think there was a QB competition this summer, and I was the #2. Now, I am behind a walk on.

15. Axe Cop
    7:13 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

10. Welcome to the Internet. Apparently you have no idea how ads work.

16. Tired of Being 1 of 12 games
    7:52 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Does Newton have to write a paper this weekend?

17. me
    8:23 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

#16 – What’s the deal on that? I heard Matt for literally 5 seconds yesterday talking about Newton. What’s going on there? Something about him “checking out.”

18. OJ
    8:29 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Has joker been fired yet?

I love that line #11, “ex coach in waiting.”

Anything, and I mean anything is better than joker – but I don’t have an ounce of faith that mitch will make a hire that will move the needle (Petrino, Tressel, Leach).

19. Jason
    8:31 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

11 – Billy Gillispie definitely did not quit on his own. Also, it’s completely stupid top expect Joker to resign and lose all that money.

20. Rixter
    8:58 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Newton has been a starting (and winning) QB in the SEC.
    Bookie Cobbins played QB, and played it fairly well in HS, just 2 years ago.

Joker is taking a true freshman walk-on, to be the backup QB. Is any more proof needed that Joker not only has no business leading an SEC football team, but I’d also argue that the man needs a good psychological evaluation. I don’t think he’s mentally stable.

21. Spider Webster
    9:07 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Don’t bash Witthuhn from Bowling Green! The kid is real good. Joker and Sanders cannot judge talent. UKs scout team is loaded with talent, but once on the scout team, it appears the UK staff ignores these kids. What an insult to Towles. No way the kid was UKs 4th string quarterback. The longest pass of the season by Towles this past Saturday. Two total catches by King in the game, both from Towles in the drive. Other than that, where was King, he was non existent. Where were the other wide recivers? Where was the running game? Not acceptable! The entire offense: QBs, lineman, RBs, and WRs are stinking it up. I like many UK fans am just tired of hearing how great DeMarco Robinson is going to be. Punt returning is horrible. He has had 7 games to prove himself. Give someone else a chance. The offensive coordinator needs to go. Boring, boring football. Stands empty, student section non existent. You blew it Joker by refusing to fairly judge your talent, beginning with Towles! Tunnel vision will get UK to 2-10 if you are lucky.

22. Silly game
    9:51 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

#21- Why question the offense? UK last scored a 1st quarter TD in 2010. 2010!

All of Rich Brooks assistants which coached UK in bowl games and more important, WHO COULD JUDGE POTENTIAL OF PLAYERS, are gone. Joker got rid of them. That is the true root of the problem!!!!!!!!! This coaching staff stays the course. They don’t evaluate players, they play favorites! A player may not be doing good at their position, but they get rewarded and are allowed to continue to play, regardless of what they do on game day. Smoke dope and let your team down, but it’s no problem, you travel and play the next week. When was the last time anyone heard the fans do the blue-white cheer across the stands during a UK football game this year? Answer is not once. Students and season ticket holders are not attending games and as it get colder (+ additional loses) in November look for the attendance to be less than 20,000. UK coaching staff will stay the course the remainder of this season. Not one of the coaches looked outside of the box this season and it won’t change for the final 6 games. The season is a failure and will get worse and more boring. Fan support is gone.
    Stay the course UK. Don’t reevaluate your players. 2-10 is in the bag!

23. SeoulCat
    10:00 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Felix launch has been rescheduled for 1:30pm (EST)…it can be seen here (if it isn’t delayed again):

24. 3 fan
    10:29 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Joker is really really working the whole “my team sucks but it isn’t my fault cause of injuries” crap. If every player was healthy, and I mean EVERY SINGLE player hurt was healthy (not counting the mary jane players) would UK’s record be any different?

25. UK BlueandWhite
    11:27 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

No. 24, Joker’s starting line up against Louisville were all healthy. Record after the game, 0-1 and a total beat down and embarassment. There are no play makers on this team, but he continues to play the same guys week in and week out and reward them for failure. UK 1-6 now with a win against Kent State, excitement looms. Empty stands. Season ticket renewals will go off the chart after this season. UK has three good players who have seen action: a center, a punter, and an injured quarterback that was not given a chance until game six. UK ranks 3rd in the state of KY, behind UL and WKU. UK won’t beat an SEC team this year.

Against Mississippi State, on 3rd and 12 with 5:30 remaining in the game, needing two touchdowns, Joker ran the ball. After the turnover on the next play – 4th down, Mississippi State ran the ball and gained 6 yards on 1st down. 2nd and 4. However, UK used none of their 3 timeouts. Joker quit. He was ready to get into the locker room. Not the kind of coaching that the BBN needs or season ticket holders pay $50 per ticket to watch. Whitlow knows 10% of the plays. Whitthum gets the crash course this week. Just a continuous train wreck each week!

26. diễn đàn dj
    12:25 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

You could definitely see your expertise in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

27. topcats82
    12:34 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

28. topcats82
    12:36 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Sorry you can watch the game bobcats and hornets here. http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/basketball.html