Father of In-State Prospect Doesn’t Trust Coach Cal

Derek Willis, a four-star power forward from Mt. Washington, Kentucky, is wavering on his commitment to Purdue. The Bullitt East product committed to the Boilermakers back in April but he could be looking to open things back up. However, one Purdue blog doesn’t see Willis leaving for his home state schools because Willis’ father doesn’t trust Coach Cal or Rick Pitino:

I do have reason to believe that Willis will remained committed to Purdue. Del Willis pretty much gave Kentucky Coach John Calipari and Louisville Coach Rick Pitino the verbal one finger salute with the statement,’I don’t know if I can trust a Coach (Rick) Pitino or Coach (John) Calipari. Their agenda is more for their benefit than the kid’s. They’re more worried about themselves.” This is great because we all know of Calipari’s and Pitino’s sparkling track records. Del Willis also reiterated how much of a comfort zone they had with Coach Painter and Coach Owens.

via Bleeding Gold and Black

Not that we really care – Willis didn’t even hold an offer from UK when he committed – but how can someone in the state of Kentucky not like Coach Cal? Del Willis doesn’t get it.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion though. Kind of like our opinion of West Lafayette, Indiana. Have fun with that.

Article written by Drew Franklin

75 Comments for Father of In-State Prospect Doesn’t Trust Coach Cal

1. Jason
    10:35 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I guess this guy doesn’t want his kid to go to the NBA, he’d rather him be the highlight of his insurance company in 15 years by being able to put up pictures of him playing at Purdue.

2. Rod
    10:38 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Does Purdue have a basketball team?

3. BoogiemanCrush
    10:40 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Who cares Bullit East produces nothing but garbage anyway I seem to recall another Bullit East “Allstar” in Daniel Alcorn, I think I saw him at the Mt Washington Kroger working in the “Bust” department

4. wildcatjr
    10:40 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I think the kid is originally from Alaska, so he he really is a fan of either local team.

5. wildcatjr
    10:41 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

The kid is from Alaska, so he has no allegiance to either local team.

6. GoCats2
    10:43 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Its kind of like BTI saying the hot girl at the bar wasn’t that good looking. She wasnt going home with him anyway.

7. It's a Celebration
    10:43 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, Coach Cal is so selfish that he only managed to get Josh Harrellson and Deandre Liggins into the NBA when last year they never had a chance. He sure doesn’t have their best interest at heart.

8. Dudeupnorth
    10:43 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

This is the ugly dorky boy saying he’s glad the hot girl didn’t ask him to the prom cause he wouldn’t of went with her anyway.

9. AaronJ
    10:43 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Yeah because Calipari has given many reason’s to believe he isn’t a players first coach…. This guy doesn’t know a whole lot.

10. wildcatfan11
    10:44 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

not really all that anyway. better take your purdue scholarship and run. walk on at best a UK or u of l. good luck though. i would love to see a kid from the mount make it.

11. Commander McBragg
    10:53 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Speaking of Purdue…and Indiana, do you know how the name “Hoosiers” came to be? Back in the early days when they played football with leather helmets it was always a knock down drag out affair on the football field between Purdue and Indiana. Players would bite, scratch and kick each other during the contests. After the game, players were on the field picking up body parts. They’d ask “who’s finger is this?”…”who’s nose does this belong to?”…and…”who’s ear?”

12. VII
    10:54 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Where is Del Willis from originally ??? Dude will likely get shot in Mt Wash for talking like that.

13. fresh prince of adair
    10:55 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

simple solution….i dont want the kid. if his dad’s worried then that means he lacks faith in his son. cal puts players before himself and the program and if his dad is worried than i already foreseen problems and assume that the father thinks his son is not good enough. breath no more life into this please

14. Spurious
    10:55 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

What level of intelligence does one have to possess in order to “get it?” That is a very shallow, and immensely aggravating, way to state what is required for understanding. That said, parents who speak for media consumption should do so only after counsel with a public relation consultant.

15. Brew Crew
    10:56 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

8. My thoughts exactly.

16. JackNicklaus
    10:59 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

The dad said it, not the kid, so I would not be too hard on him. Very odd statement. I could say that I would never play with Phil Mickelson because I don’t trust him. However, I fail to mention Phil would never even invite me to.

17. ink
    10:59 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

well he’s half right …

18. bmt22033
    10:59 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

To err on the side of caution, let me point out that we’re assuming that the quote attributed to Del Willis by a Purdue fan blog is accurate. Assuming that it is, however, I’d say that Dell Willis is either really, REALLY stupid or has his own agenda and best interests at heart over what might be best for his son. To say that Calipari’s agenda is more for his benefit than the kids is beyond stupid, actually, unless you believe he’s guilty of forcing top talent into the NBA. All that aside, did UK ever show any serious interest in the kid? If not, then it’s kind of a mute point.

19. I hate Duke
    11:01 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

That’s just his father’s way of saying my son is not good enough to get any tick at uk. Just man up and say your son can’t play at UK, wasn’t offered a scholly, and he doesn’t like fluff either. Pretty simple. Boilermakers butts drives him nuts! LOL

20. tom
    11:02 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Elite programs are not for everyone. I wish the youngster the best. Seems like his dad and Alex Legion’s mom should swap notes. Both seem to smother their kids.

That’s what i like about Wiltjer and the relationship he had with his dad. Papa Wiltjer apparently gave him the tools and then the young Wiltjer took stock and pulled the trigger without even a visit. Independent thinking, to me, is a great attribute.

21. WestWorld
    11:02 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I’m sure this comment will help the kid as he plays his senior year in the state of KY.

22. wildcatfan11
    11:05 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

like i said, who cares? we will get much better players than he could dream of being

23. JEREMY
    11:06 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

It just goes to show how much this guy knows… I mean if Cal was all about himself and not the kids, then do you think he could deal with one and dones? No he would be telling the kids one thing when he recruits them, then turn around and tell them they are not ready for the NBA at the end of the season. Every kid Cal recruits talk about how honest and straight up he is. The fact that John Wall the #1 over all player was told he would have to earn his spot, that no spot is guaranteed says alot about Cal. Sounds like this kids dad just needs to quit listening to the wrong people and should know the media is biased. He probably has never even met Coach Cal, so how can you say you dont trust him if you have never met him??

24. Laker Cat 18
    11:10 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Take it easy guys. Maybe the kid’s lifelong goal is to be a car salesman in Mt. Washington, KY after 4 years of riding the pine at Purdon’t. Why would he want to go to the NBA anyway, I hear it’s overrated.

25. Tim
    11:13 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

If ever I’ve witnessed a coach who is a “player first” coach, it’s Cal! Dad hasn’t done his homework obviously.

26. Al's IndiCats
    11:13 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

If the father of this kid thinks Mt. Washington is a podunk town, just wait until he gets to West “laffy-ett”. I’ve honestly went to better parties at a funeral than there. Cow Tipping is the best thing to do there…..”STILL”

27. HighFlyingBirds
    11:17 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

At least it wasn’t like Tyler Hansborough’s dad that wouldn’t let him play for black coach.

28. Bigbluecalizone
    11:17 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I sure don’t know the kid but I already feel sorry for him. Daddy should shut his yapper until he can find a subject he knows at least something about.BOOM!!!!!!

29. Mr Schwump
    11:19 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Get your feelings hurt when your kid was snubbed there dad?

30. Crush little red
    11:23 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Del’s statement sounds pretty presumptuous. I wonder how many one on one conversations he has had with Cal to make a determination like that or is he just going off things that are said in the media. It’s easy to say that about Pitino. But regarding Cal, I guess the whole Hoops for Haiti was just to make Cal look good. smh

31. Scott C
    11:23 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

He’s a 4 star anyways, in state or not we only get 5 star players with Coach Cal at the helm.

32. kyeric
    11:24 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

This is such a non-story. Who cares what a kid’s parent thinks of Cal or Pitino? Seriously? We are getting posts about this crap and what shoe John Wall may be wearing in a non-existent NBA season. Where is the full post about Darius Miller making Team USA?

This will be my last time visiting KSR! You have lost another reader!

Kidding. This guy’s dad sucks.

33. DoubleZeroMostel
    11:26 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Ok Mt. Washington, get your pitchforks and torches ready, we ride at Midnight.

34. Johnny Meatballs
    11:28 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Don’t believe this crap from the obvious homer Purdue site. Willis married the first girl he kissed (committed to the first school that offered) and now he is rethinking his decision. He is a good kid and the dad is not crazy. They are just taking a step back to make sure they look at all of his options. He could very easily end up at UK or UL so don’t listen to the Purdue idiots. Their just mad because he is decommitting, kind of like when some on here bash a kid when he picks another school. “we didn’t need him anyway,” “he can’t handle being at UK,” and on and on. Go watch this kid play and you will be impressed. No he is not a Gilchrist level (top 5) prospect but he is a ky kid who has game and who has blown up over the summer at the camps and aau supposedly. His stock is going up in other words. Go watch him play and see for yourself before you run your mouth about his family or bullitt co., etc. He transferred from Male after 9th grade and I believe he plays on the same AAU team as the Snider kid who just committed to UL, Louisville Magic I think? Anyway, trust me we are just getting started with this kid and you will see what I tell you when other big time schools start making trips to the Louisville area to see this kid play.

35. stevem
    11:28 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Agree this is a non-story of a no-name player with a father who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Don’t we have something better to discuss on KSR?

36. cardscansuckmyd*$#
    11:29 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Okay the kid plays in the state of Kentucky and I had never even heard of him until he committed to Purdue..the father is just flattering himself with the idea that Calipari or that other guy would even offer this kid a scholarship. I dont know if we can trust the dad because if his son is committed to Purdue then why is he even talking about this

37. MemphisCat
    11:40 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I guessing the father is not from KY. I don’t care who the coach is at UK, I wanted to play there and I wanted my son to play there, but I was born and raised to bleed blue. I’m guessing his son didn’t get any looks from the big KY schools and the dad needs some Monkey Butt Rub!

38. Ben
    11:47 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

His kid is not good enough to play at KY or Louisville! You might want to ask the players how they feel about Cal. Even the former players from other teams have been singing Cal’s praises!

39. Bad Brad
    11:51 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Easy on the West Lafayette stuff my son goes there and sports all of his UK garb and never gets any S##t from anyone other than IU fans that goes there.

40. Cals Cats
    11:54 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

The dude would likely be over recruited year in and year out, kind of like Poole. If he wants to come here and develop then he would be coming to the right school, if he wants to pt…not likely going to happen unless he blows up and we have a weak depth year…aka Harrellson.

41. Jeff Shepherd
    12:03 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Would love to see UK get its first Bullitt East Charger.

42. TrueBlue24/7
    12:09 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

I don’t put much into his Dad’s statements, its from a Purdue source and it shows his Dad’s point of view, not the player’s. But for those of you that think this kid isn’t a player and couldn’t make it at UK/UL, you are dead wrong. I’ve watched Willis play a number of times, and he is legit. He’s 6’8″-6’9″ with a 7’3″ wingspan, and plays like a two-guard. He loves to break his defender down off the dribble and is a 3-point specialist. Not to mention he has great timing as a shot blocker (I watched him rack up 10 blocks in a game.) His Dad may not “trust” Coach Cal or Pitino, but you can trust me that the kid can play. Period.

BTW @BoogiemanCrush: Alcorn was a great Bullitt East player and had a lot of talent, but he was nowhere near Willis’ level/potential. This is not your typical small-town Kentucky HS player that you want to see do well, Willis is a legit 4-star recruit.

43. T
    12:14 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Hahaha, Del pulled Derek out of Male his freshman year and sent him
    to Bullitt East so he would play more. he got mad he didn’t start varsity as a freshman so he went to a lower level school. Sounds like this is a similar issue, thinks his son is better than he really is, so he’s mad UK/UL aren’t beating down the door.

44. KYBLUE
    12:15 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

This is simple dad is upset because his son wasnt offered.

45. bleedblueky
    12:18 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Drew – stop working! hope you have a restful weekend and speedy recovery 🙂

46. Neil
    12:19 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Sounds like a father who is upset because his son was not recruited by either Calipari or Pitino.

47. manbearpig
    12:24 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

#39 believe I may have seen your son lol. Haven’t ran into many of us up here wearing UK gear besides few other guys. You are right everyone up here besides the IU fans is okay with UK. I even had some students cheering for UK during the tourney.
    And Drew coming to West Lafayette during the summer what the hell did you expect the atmosphere to be like? Everyone goes home. Come back during the fall and hit up 9 Irish Brothers

48. lipper
    12:35 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

the father gets it!! he knows cal drinks from the kool-aid of athletes only, never considering the heart and smarts of kentucky kids (yes, white). he’s smart enough not to put his kid on a bench next to hood and set for 4 yrs when a real coach could utilize him!

49. Blasphemy
    12:40 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Scorned lover syndrome. That’s all I have to say.

50. SagaciousMind
    12:41 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

His father is an idiot, plain and simple. It’s obvious Cal cares about these kids and he wants them to do what is best for them. That would explain the 9 draft picks in 2 years. If Cal is only about himself, then why does he do so much good for the community and why did he coach the DR team when he didnt have to? Sounds like a bitter father whose son wasnt recruited by Cal or Pitino. Just go to Purdue.

51. thetruth
    12:51 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Who knows what his dad’s motives are, you can’t judge the kid because of that.
    And how many people have actually seen him play?
    He doesn’t just hit kick-out wide open shots. He’s bringing the ball up the floor, making a move at a defender, and hitting 3’s in people’s faces. You can’t teach his ball skills at 6’9″. I’m not saying he’s going to be an All-American by any means, but in my opinion, I think Willis could play just about anywhere in the country.

@BoogiemanCrush I graduated from and played at Bullitt East.. Judging by your man crush on players, I’m going to assume you were the manager somewhere lol it’s too bad you got cut man really…

52. Captian Obvious
    12:53 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

He’s too ugly to play at UK.

53. DjColdCutz
    1:05 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

52.) Um, have you seen Anthony Davis?

54. Mack
    1:08 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

“Quotes” written on fan blogs are not always the truth, so take what POPS was given credit for saying with a grain of salt. Living in Kentucky would you bad mouth Coach unless you are a fan of the UofLosers and of course how smart are those few.

55. Kidnut
    1:16 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Put down the pitchforks and the torches. Step back and take a breath. You don’t want to hate on the kid or the Dad based off this type of source. Use that common sense and don’t be led around by a mob mentality.

56. Cal
    1:20 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Hmmm…Derek Willis? Never heard of him.

57. Coach Cal here
    2:26 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Sorry, Del. Your son won’t even be recruited by us (we only recruit 5 stars, not 4).

58. j harrelson
    2:45 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Ive seen this kid play. He is really good, & he is a good kid. Yeah, his dad screwed up, but dont trash the kid bc of that. Keep in mind you are writing terrible things about a local kid who is not at fault in this.

59. No way
    2:48 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Of all the things you could say about Cal–that he can’t win the big one . . . maybe. That he pushes the limits when it comes to recruiting . . . probably. But that he doesn’t care for the guys who play for him? No way!

60. Pappy Van Winkle
    3:03 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Flame the dad (idiot), but like some others have said on here, leave the kid out of it. Until you see something that the kid said, in his own words, keep the arrows pointed at pop.

61. frank drebin
    3:12 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

This kid has a ton of potential. He is only going to be a junior in high school. His dad is way off base to call out Cal but I would not blame the kid for that.
    He is very good and Coach Barr at Bullitt East says he is only going to get better. Lets wait and see how good of a junior year he has, how much more he grows and develops.
    If he is a star he and wants to play with stars then he will reconsider his committment and see if Cal want him. If not, best of luck at Purdue.

GO CATS!!

62. Michael Bradley's Dad says
    3:18 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

This kid will be next Larry Bird.

63. monte
    3:33 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Well the only reason he does not trust Pitino or Calapari is he would be on the bench…barely getting practice time. If he had potential or wanted to get better then stay in state…I would not consider Purdue a powerhouse in hoops…sometimes its easier to make an excuse rather than face the fact that most 4 stars do not play Kentucky basketball…stay at Purdue…don’t say trust is the reason your son can not play at this level….

64. Andre Riddick's love-child
    3:49 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Purdon’t’s Matt Painter should have taken the Missouri job when he had the chance..

65. Derpapotamus
    3:50 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

As a BEHS alum, im pretty embarrassed that this is the “best” basketball player we’ve ever produced. I think I liked it better when we had one kid every 3 years or so making it to NAIA or D III ball.

66. hoss_cat
    3:51 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

He’s obviously mad cuz his son sucks too bad to play for coach cal or for cal to even be interested lol.

It’s like a guy who knows that he doesn’t have a chance with a certain girl and blasts her verbally to look cool lol

67. jesco white
    4:52 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Who is the kid in the picture ? I was under the impression that Willis was a black kid.??????????????????????

68. UPSCat4080
    5:44 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

66 hit it right on the nose.

69. StratCat
    6:24 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Willis’ dad isn’t crazy. He works for the same company I do and he seems like a really nice guy. I’ve heard people say nice things about him.

70. Pioneer
    8:19 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Don’t blame the player. Obviuosly his dad is a fool! I am not sure Cal or RP could trust him!!!!! Lol

71. F**K derek willis
    10:25 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

You best believe Cal didn’t loose a minutes sleep! We don’t take comers, WE GET WHO WE WANT and Derek Willis ain’t making the cut! Good riddance, IMO…

72. bluetexan
    10:49 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

#69- Del Willis picks his nose with ‘that’ finger…check it out and don’t shake hands with him!

73. jesco white
    12:45 am August 6, 2011 Permalink

I really thought this kid was black. Had no clue he was white. Who knows if his Dad said that or not. All I know is, there are a lot of haters on here acting like this kid is not being offered blah, blah blah. He is a sophomore and I know the Ville is very interested. I’m sure UK will be watching. I love UK, but man we have some haters as fans sometimes. I’m hoping most are the newer bandwagon fans who hopped on after being UL fans until we got CAL.

74. MTW
    1:48 am August 6, 2011 Permalink

Not worth recruiting a 4 star recruit in Ky that does not bleed blue. Would rather have the 5 star player from outside of ky. Kids from Alaska. I’d rather have the 5 star player from LA.

75. MTW
    2:37 am August 6, 2011 Permalink

Its not worth taking a kid from state who may not be as good as a kid that you could have out of state if the kid doesn’t bleed blue. This kid is from the land of Ramon Harris. PASS…..