Fat Tuesday’s News & Views

I wonder what they’re all looking at…

Happy Mardi Gras! For those of you in New Orleans, that means you’ve probably already been partying for hours. For those of you not in New Orleans, it means you’ll probably eat a king cake at work tomorrow and maybe have a drink afterwards with some beads around your neck. (Don’t worry, I won’t ask how you got them.) Sadly, I have yet to experience Mardi Gras in person, but something tells me it seems much, much more glamorous than it actually is (where do all those people go to the bathroom? Exactly.), but you know, laissez les bons temps rouler!

Feel free to share your Mardi Gras memories (both remembered and reminded) in the comments section. And yes, those are mini pictures of Anthony Davis’ mom wearing her unibrow Mardi Gras mask next to each news and view.

A little bit of order was restored around lunchtime on Monday, when the latest AP poll was released and the Cats were back in at #25. It’s the first time the Cats have been back in the poll since their back-to-back losses to Notre Dame and Baylor back in early December. Although they didn’t make the Coaches’ Top 25, they have to excellent opportunities to impress this week as they head to Gainesville to take on #7 Florida and Knoxville on Saturday to attempt to complete the sweep of Tennessee. First thing’s first: the Gators, who are currently a 9.5-point favorite.

Three weeks ago, who would have thought Kentucky would had the chance to compete for first place in the league? It hasn’t been pretty, but the Cats are riding a five-game winning streak with an 8-2 conference record. Beating Florida will be a tall task, but according to Cal, it’s the test this squad needs to see where they stand heading into the home stretch. Everything about Tuesday night spells big-game atmosphere; ESPN is even bringing in Dickie V. for the occasion, which feels like an old-fashioned SEC fight between the conference’s two powerhouses. Will the Cats rise to the challenge? Step one is strong guard play, which brings us to the plight of Archie Goodwin.

Goodwin is the latest Cat in Cal’s doghouse after a string of bad games, the most recent being an abysmal outing against Auburn. During his rounds with the media on Monday, Cal said Archie needs to “lose himself” in the team, meaning he needs to stop worrying about messing up and just move on to the next play. He brought up Michael Kidd-Gilchrist’s “awful” game against Florida in the SEC Tournament Semi-finals, a performance so bad that he compared it to Archie’s outing against Auburn on Saturday. The difference between the two (besides, well…everything)? MKG didn’t give up. He kept fighting and ended grabbing the two game-winning rebounds. Archie has to stop overthinking and find other ways to help the team win than flinging himself at the basket to get fouled.

Based on his comments to the media, Archie is ready for the challenge: “I love playing big games. These are the type of games I feel like I was made for and I know this team was made for. I feel like we’re going to go out there and get a win.” Let’s say it together now: “PASS THE BALL ARCHIE!”

Archie’s struggles are just some of the many things the team is getting through together. Cal said that each night, the team sits down with the book “God Never Blinks: 50 Lessons for Life’s Little Detours” and goes over a chapter. After looking over the Table of Contents, Lesson 16 seems particularly pertinent: “Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy living, or get busy dying.” **Morgan Freeman voice**

Someone who is getting busy living? Jarrod Polson. Cal heaped praise on Wilmore’s finest for his performance against Auburn, which he says is proof that he can play him for at least 15 minutes in big games like tomorrow’s against Florida. “You stick him in the game and he just plays his butt off. And then everybody says, why won’t the other guys watch that and do that? He’s doing it. Doesn’t mean he makes every shot, doesn’t mean he doesn’t turn it over. Once a game, he’s going to get it stripped, accept it, don’t get mad, coach. He’s going to dribble down, the guy is going to take it from him, shoot a lay-up but his energy, his effort, his toughness, everybody watches. Guys, play like that. ‘Well, I don’t’ have to.’ Why? ‘I’m better than that.’ Well, not really.”

Can we take a break to acknowledge how awful the new adidas short-sleeve jerseys are? In case you missed it, here is Harrison Barnes modeling the Golden State Warriors’ version:

And yes, you’re right in remembering that Louisville is an adidas school and yes, we will get the pleasure of seeing the Cards wear them at some point this season.

To beat the Gators, the Cats will have to stop the three and avoid turnovers. Forward Will Yeguete will be out again after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery last week, which means Florida will use a four guard lineup like they did with success against Mississippi State. We’ve already talked about Archie Goodwin’s struggles, but the Cats’ guard play in general has been weak as of late. In the last three games, they’ve committed 46 turnovers, and Florida’s Mike Rosario, Kenny Boynton, and Scottie Wilbekin will capitalize on every weak take, mistake and hesitation. Eat your Wheaties, Ryan and Archie.

Don’t think for a second Florida is overlooking this game. The Gators have dropped five in a row to the Cats, including three last season. Florida guard Scottie Wilbekin said that last year’s losses still smolder: “It’s always going to be in the back of our minds that they beat us three times last year, but it’s a new year and we have things that we’re focused on this year and that’s winning an SEC championship. And in order to do that, we need to beat them, so it’s an important game.”

Your much-requested Tevin Lawson update: Apparently the Louisiana 4-star DT very much enjoyed his visit to Kentucky over the weekend and the family met on Monday night to discuss his decision. Rumor had it that Lawson’s mother wasn’t comfortable with her baby leaving Louisiana, but the visit to Kentucky left them so impressed that it may not be a concern much longer. Stay tuned…

Finally, a reminder that tickets for the ESPN College GameDay taping on Saturday, February 23rd will be available starting Wednesday, February 13th at 6 p.m. ET via Ticketmaster. The tickets are free of charge, but you’ll still have to pay the Ticketmaster service fee. Sorry.

Big day coming up. Get some rest and we’ll do our best to get you ready for the Gators in the most ridiculous manner possible.

32 Comments for Fat Tuesday’s News & Views

1. FlySoup
    11:17 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

anybody else going to the game tomorrow?

2. Biff
    11:20 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Barnes just looks FABULOUS in that shirt. When is he going to come out of the closet?

3. Duck Butter
    11:21 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the Lawson update! I’d like to see KSR do more to get the fans involved with Twitter. At the very least maybe drop some links to recruits Twitter pages and see what we can do. Stoops said it himself on signing day that our fanbase online presence was a big help getting players to commit. All we need is KSR pointing the fans in the right direction

4. Jpo
    11:21 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

I think that’s the first .), combo I’ve ever seen before

5. Cats
    11:24 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Why has no one brought up the fact Florida has not played one team that is good defensively. Sorry but I think UK wins this. People need to stop saying “in order for UK to have a chance to win this”. Come on, Florida lost to freaking Arkansas, they are an old slow three point reliant team who has had a cake schedule. Cats got this.

6. Cats
    11:26 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Plus I hate Florida fans, they are never actually from Florida they just either liked tebow, or aren’t smart enough to do another cheer besides the gator chomp.

7. ok-cats-computer
    11:30 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

DeAndre Liggins hatched a diabolical scheme 6 years ago that would culminate in the public humiliation of Harrison Barnes by way of modeling the most emasculating uniform known to man. A rough outline of the plan contained more than a thousand Roman numerals, and it was executed with perfection. Mr. Barnes, you have now been officially mind freaked.

8. English teacher
    11:45 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Nice job, some grammatical errors in the write up.

9. Uk
    12:14 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

You are little off on Lawson. He did enjoy his visit, but he’s visiting TCU and maybe Texas before deciding.

10. SeaCat
    1:30 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

8) where are these ‘laws’ of the English
    language you propose to know??
    ‘Our’ language is still changing and
    evolving…
    The goal is simple communication.
    Leave Tyler alone, we love her
    communication skills.

11. Andy
    2:05 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I believe it was Tim Robbins as Andy Dufrene who said “Get busy living or get busy dying” in Shawhank Redemption.

12. Ridge Runner
    3:09 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Thx for the Lawson update & nice write-up, Ms T.

————————————————————

Reminder BBN…we gotta get focused here as time is running out!

You can vote between now & Feb 27th in this initial round “once every day”…

Infinity Coaches Challenge South Region (Current Leaderboard)…Haith 24%, Calipari 22%, Gottfried 14%, Donovan 14%

13. BlueBlood21
    5:28 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

#11 Nice job. Most think Freeman aka Red coined the term because he repeats it later in the movie.

14. Nike
    6:54 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Adidas is ruining basketball.

15. SexnNursinHomes
    6:59 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

2-hahaha

I wish Morgan Freeman was shrunken to the size of a Smurf and could fit my front shirt pocket.

16. playersfan
    7:02 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

What Archie needs is to forget everything, and learn to shoot jump shoots again and three’s again like he did in the beginning, then the rest will come together. He can’t hit the side of a barn, because he’s thinking too much, he’s better than that.

17. hh
    7:45 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

you couldnt compliment him without insulting him a little. we know you dont really want to play him, but you have too because the others arent getting it done. hes gotten stripped one time this season and that was a lucky pick the first time they played auburn. he very rarely turns the ball over. hes better than harrow and always has been. maybe if you built him up and gave him countless chances like the others, its hard telling how good he could be. look close, goran dragic. maybe you should just say thanks jarrod.

18. RealCatsFan
    7:49 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, you asked for Mardi Gras memories, so here’s mine – the G-rated version, based on what brain cells I have left from that night.

I did my college internship at an Exxon plant in Baton Rouge back in 1989. My college roommates who were down there with me decided to visit NOLA for the weekend before Mardi Gras, since we all had to work Wednesday. For anyone who hasn’t been there, the whole MG experience just blends into one extended period of drunkenness that lasts for about a week, culminating in the big night, and then the mother of all hangovers that seems to last an equally long time. We went down Saturday, and since I had a high school buddy who attended Tulane, we met up with him and were going to crash at his apartment close to campus. We commenced partying, and somewhere on Bourbon St I met up with some young lass from Houston (can’t even remember her name after 25 years), and was enticed with trying sushi for the first (and last) time in my life. Wanting to wash the taste out of my mouth, I commenced consuming every type of liquor available to me. I actually recall literally crawling down Bourbon St with a bottle of Old GrandDad in my hand. Somehow by the grace of God (I have no idea how I managed this), I actually made it back to the apartment, but by now it was dark-thirty, the sun would be up in an hour or so, and everyone was fast asleep. This was a multi-unit apartment buidling with a locked front door, and you had about 6 doorbells so you could ring the doorbell of the appropriate tenant for entry. I buzzed what I thought was my friend’s apartment, and some little schnauzer-looking scrawny troll emerged saying something about calling the police on me if I didn’t leave. So I rang a different bell, and the same little scraggly Richard Dreyfuss looking bastard came out yelling. I gave up and passed out on the front porch. About 9 AM, my roomate finally woke up and came out of the apartment. We headed to the car, but before we left, I ran back to the apartment and rang the pizz out of that doorbell a few more times!

And since this is the G-rated version, I’m not saying a damned thing about the girl from Houston!

19. SexnNursinHomes
    8:00 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

18- funny stuff, so did the Houston girl blow ya right on Bourbon st?

20. UK Freshmen
    8:14 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky is currently ranked #49 in RPI. This will kill them in seeding….if they make it.

21. Yesterdays
    8:49 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I believe “Get busy livin, or get busy dyin,” from Shawshank, was actually said by Brooks when he gets out of prison, right before he hangs himself.

22. hh
    9:04 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

#19, that was directed at calipari. not like he’ll see it or care

23. Jpo
    9:23 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

23. Nice save… :/

24. Drew
    9:43 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

#21. If they make it?? Lol.

25. [email protected]
    9:56 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

21 you should worry more about your own team. We will make it farther in the tourney than your dirty birds. Another first round exit coming up for your turds, courtesy of Russ Smith sucking.

26. Hh
    10:07 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

#24, the article clearly states it’s a calipari quote. Nothing in my initial statement was addresses to anyone else. Not sure what your talking about.

27. Hh
    10:07 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

Addressed

28. Duke sucks
    10:18 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

A 10 loss UK team would make the NCAA this year! UK has a legit shot of being ranked from 10-15 by tourney time. Without a bad loss we could be a 4 seed if we keep winning!

29. MustangCat
    10:33 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

If everybody keeps losing, we might end up a 2 seed!! No, wait. We are UK, not IU, who moves up in the polls when they lose? Or UL, who only drop 1 spot after ANOTHER loss?! They lose what?, 5 of 10? LATE in the season! And drop what? to 15th? Pretty soon, when the other top teams lose, WE’LL drop in the rankings….

30. Duke sucks
    10:47 am February 12, 2013 Permalink

I’m tired of seeing some morons posting how Cal isn’t playing Polson enough. Like he intentionally holding him back! Polson as much as we all like him is too slow to be a great SEC PG. Cal plays Polson in games that suit his skill set. He has worked hard to make himself a viable bench player and doesn’t hurt the team when he’s on the court. He’s not better then Harrow point blank. He’s been exposed against duke and other teams with quick point guards!
    I too think Polson has earned his minutes. He does well in the 10 to 15 minutes he’s getting. Know dought he a over achiever on a team of underachiever, but he’s not the answer at PG come March. If he is we are in major trouble. Let him take a Mills role in March but make no mistake about it we need Harrow to take Turners role!

31. Hh
    6:28 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

#31, you havent seen him at his best so you don’t know what your talking about. He wins the sprints dip. He is better than harrow. And in case you didn’t know, we are a few weeks from the post season. If they ain’t got it, they ain’t gonna get it. Dip!