Fascinating article on Kansas and Wiggins

Wiggins_Kansas

I know we are all a bit bitter about the recent decision by the nation’s number one high school recruit to attend a different school, but this is quite the interest look at how the situation developed. Check out this piece from the Topeka Capital-Journal on the “wild chase” leading Andrew Wiggins to pick Kansas. This piece is reminiscent of what Matt said after the decision – Kansas came on strong as the non-FSU replacement of UK after spots filled up.

There are a few interesting facts and a nice timeline of events in this piece. The centerpiece of it all was the commitment of Julius Randle to Kentucky. As Matt said, once Randle came on board, KU replaces UK as the championship caliber school on Wiggins priority list. Amongst the interesting facts: (1) Wiggins barely told anyone anything (even his coach, Rob Fulford) and mostly communicated via text and (2) Kansas coaches didn’t know where Wiggins was going as of Tuesday morning. This echoes how much of the internet perceived the situation, apart from that fact that many thought it was FSU outfront until the end.

Overall, this is a solid read to see the trajectory of this mysterious recruitment of arguably the best high school player since LeBron. While it is still TBD on whether Bill Self can actually utilize one-and-done talent in a manner remotely as beneficial as Calipari, this will be as interesting and as highly scrutinized of a freshman season we’ve ever seen. Best of luck to him.

Article written by Chris Thomas

40 Comments for Fascinating article on Kansas and Wiggins

1. BravoBigBlue
    7:06 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I like my team.

2. Lance
    7:14 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Good article. I will remain with my opinion that while I really wanted Wiggins, we didn’t NEED him. If this had been last year or another year when the recruiting class was light, this would have been a devastating event. It also shouldn’t be over-looked that Randle’s commitment played a major role in Wiggins going to Kansas, or the fact that his brother plays down the road and it would make it easier for his parents to watch both sons play. A question for anyone who may read this, what is going on with the McElmore situation. I know there were reports about money and recruiting violations, but does anyone know why that story has disappeared? If it pops back up we’ll never have to worry about playing Kansas and Wiggins in early April next year.

3. Jude
    7:19 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins can suck it

4. Jason
    7:20 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Proofread please. Are you kidding me Clark?

5. bosshog
    7:20 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Like many others I’m not bitter, I don’t really care about where he went and I wish we could quit talking about him. Randle came because he wanted the competition and Wiggins passed partly because he didn’t want it. Enough said……

6. Fab 8
    7:27 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Hey, I saw wiggins play in the Gus macker tourney this week. He didn’t put up much effort but dang. He is an effortless freak of nature. Hard to describe unless u see it in person. Young Vince Carter, Melvin Levitt, James White. We will see some nice highlights during his career at KU but I’d LOVE to put them out of the tourney. Lol

7. Bulldawg
    7:30 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

It sure would be nice to beat Kansas in the NCAA title game AGAIN!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha GO CATS!!!!!

8. crazycatfan
    7:31 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

#1 – Right there with ya!

9. BBN.
    7:34 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins who? I thought after the announcement we weren’t talking about this kid anymore Matt??? He’s an afterthought!!! Only time I want to hear about this kid is at the end of next season when he is sitting on his couch regretting the choices he’s made!! #BBN #TWINS #JR #YOUNG #JOHNSON #LEE #DHAWK #WILLNWILT #ALEXTHEGREAT #WCSNPOLSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Tennesse Wildcat
    7:43 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I agree also with #1’s post. I guess he couldn’t stand the heat and got out of the kitchen. I hope this is the last Wiggins post as his dad was very much a reason also that he is not a Cat. I am happy with Alex and James Young, who will rightly get more PT now and will help us to get #9!

11. grumpycat
    7:43 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

It was probably something like “Hey Wiggins you can come to Kansas and throw it up 40 times per game like Thomas Robinson. You won’t have to share the ball/playing time here.”

12. brain
    7:46 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Would have liked to have AW but wouldn’t give up Randle for anyone.

13. sunnycat
    7:47 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

He doesnt want to share the spotlight and wants to be the man so its probably best he went elsewhere. And on that note lets move on….PLEASE

14. Anthony
    7:53 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

If he’s this afraid of competition now what’s he going to do when he gets to the NBA. Spotlight is just a word for chicken s**t. We need to move forward though. The team that is going to take the court in 5 months is the one we should focus on.

15. David
    7:59 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

With Kentucky’s team this year Randle was the one UK needed the most, Randle game is best suited for the college game. Actually the way I look at it Wiggins is the one who lost out not Kentucky.

16. Duty Calls
    8:11 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

My duty as a Cat Fan is to do everything in my power to get one of our guys to be the #1 Draft Pick and prove that coming to UK is the best career move.

17. Catfan14
    8:17 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I agree with many on here, Y are we still talking about a Jayhawk?! We are Kentucky, it’s his loss and I honestly don’t care or wanna hear anything else about em’ until he goes to the league, and only then if he ends up with Wall or one of our others. He doesn’t deserve to be o KSR. Like many have said his loss, lets move on for cryin out loud, sick of hearing about this kid, I just wanna see my boy Randle drop 30 on em’. Can’t wait for next season.

18. Jason
    8:17 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

17 – I agree

19. Good luck to ya kid
    8:19 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

This is what is wrong with our fan base. A 18 year old kid thinks anther school is better for him now he’s a CHICKEN SHIT or he made a mistake! Get over yourselves people. We are going to have a great team next year, and he knew he couldn’t dominate the ball for us it’s that simple! I think he made the right choice because as good as he is, he probably should have the ball most of the time on 99% of all other teams! Just not UK.
    Good luck to him. He made a good choice for HIM. I think UK will be just fine with out him. So this should be a win,win for everyone involved! Remember people we are just fans, that’s it. These kids are making decision that will effect millions of dollars. Sorry he isn’t thinking about how the fans of any school will react!!!!!!!!

20. Judy
    8:25 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I’m glad we have Randle. He, as well as the others will be awesome. It’s always nice to have players that want to be here. The other recruits that had the opportunity to be at UK are now just fading memories.

21. Good luck to ya kid
    8:28 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

In my opinion, which every body has one. Randle will be the better collegiate player. Wiggins probably will be a better pro and I’m sure his draft stock will be higher, but I think strictly for next year Randle will be the better.
    Randles game seems made for the NCAA. I don’t think there will be any big men physicaly gifted enough to hang with him. With the way the NCAA calls games and the D they play it will be hard for Wiggins to dominate to the level Randle!

22. Yeah
    8:46 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

We needed randle we didn’t need wiggins. With randle, he had that leadership sort of personality and just looks to dominate LOUDLY. Wiggins is more of a quiet dominator. Randle will get the whole team and crowd pumped off a dunk. Wiggins will mainly just get the crowd. IMO. We got the better leader.

23. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    8:52 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I will gladly take Randle. He can play the 5-4-or the 3, and he is tough mentally. If Wiggins wanted a team built around him at UK, he should have committed a long time ago. I am very happy with the new players UK got, lets move on.

24. Judge
    8:54 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

WE don’t need that VIRUS with BBN so im glad he’s going to Kansas!!!! Randle will be the #1 pick in the draft next year so enjoy playing for a team that’s already in trouble!!!! ALL CATS ALL SPORTS!!!!!!

25. Airblue
    9:16 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I completely agree with 19. Hatin on AW makes us look like cry babies. I wish we had him but love the potential of our squad even w/o him. Will be a fun year.

26. Issel's two front teeth
    9:21 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Hey Wiggins, Davis took the fifth most shots on the team, and STILL beat out Thomas for the POY!!
    You have fun out there in the corn fields of Kansas, though. Hey, at least you wont have to watch night in and night out, while Randle wins the POY.

27. Jeffrey
    9:23 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Bitter? Bitter? Why would I be bitter? He would of just been once extra stud on a team loaded with studs. I just didn’t want him to commit to UNC, and he didn’t, so I am fine with that. I am far from bitter, so please speak for yourself, Chris.

28. loudog
    9:28 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I know this sounds crazy, but I think where better off without Wiggings. Great players don’t win titles, great teams win titles. I would rather have Randle than Wiggins.

29. Good luck to ya kid
    9:30 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

24) are you really that bitter? I’m GLAD we got Randle and I said earlier I think Randle will be the more impactfull player next year, but Wiggins will be the first pick. Why would you be pulling for Kansas to get in trouble? It’s just like Cal has said time and time again don’t pull for someone else to get into trouble because it usually comes back on you!
    I’m not a Kansas fan but what they are in trouble for is stupid and very well happen to UK. A agent contacting a player with the coaching staff doing nothing wrong. It’s the same thing that happened with Camby to Cal. It’s a stupid rule that needs changed!
    The Judge needs to know yes we as UK fans live, eat, and sleep UK sports! Other who aren’t UK fans don’t there are other schools for other people and in Wiggins case IMO UK wasn’t HIS best option. Just because we have the best players doesn’t mean. We will it all! It takes a lot of luck and chemistery to build a championship team!

30. Issel's two front teeth
    9:30 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Hey 25, this is UK, not NC, we cheer ours loudly, and boo the other team loudly!!! That is what fans do! We don’t wish injury on the other team, but Wiggins is the enemy now! Go Big Blue!

31. Sito
    9:54 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

You all are just a bunch of toothless inbred rednecks

That said: go cats

32. ISeeWhatUDidThere
    10:22 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I like the “University of Kansas” on the pic. Nice…

33. Bigbluetrue
    10:50 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I am hopeful that this will be the LAST article about Andrew Wiggins on this site.

34. Syrin
    1:00 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

I said it a LONG time ago, this kid has “flake” written all over him. He wants to go where HE is bigger than the team and program. We don’t want players like that no what their supposed potential is. This guy is no LeBron. LeBron will go down as the best to ever play the game. Wiggins won’t even be the best freshman in the country next year. That will be one of our studs.

35. Freddy Fleet
    5:40 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

KSR is the THE single reason Wiggins did not choose UK.

36. tuxedo park
    7:48 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

43. What? I don’t get it. It is the University of Kansas.

37. Ole Josh
    9:25 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

Who gives a shit about Wiggins? He didn’t wanna play with other good players so he went somewhere else. That lack of confidence really tells me all I need to know about whether or not he is going to live up to his considerable hype.

38. Chris
    10:59 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

Enough wiggins stuff u gave no new information here..I think fans are finally over it let it go ..Im sure espn is going to show every dribble he takes at Kansas so please give it a rest for a while.. Although i agree completely the hate mail he got was aweful, I dont like him he dragged out the process holding 3 teams hostage to the last second, all the time acting like he hates the spotlight while he continued to wait and made the spotlight get brighter and brighter..I know other players have waited to the last second but i think they were unfair to the schools and fanbases they held hostage as well..But most who waited had good reason Patterson- Tubby left Billy G came in Wall – Cal left memphis the lead for wall and came here So i actually see no player who did something this drawn out..He made Lebrons decision look short.. So i am still annoyed with Andrew Wiggins.Annoyed not angry and i plan on being annoyed with him for a while.. And i dont wish him the best (that to me means have a great season) i wish him good health but i want him to be a bust..Ill wish the best for next season to the players that didnt hold UK hostage.. Also the things said about him on twitter were terrible (REALLY BAD) but i was also surprised that wiggins coach said Andrew rushed to twitter afterwards to see reaction and was hurt and shocked..What was written was gross but how could u be shocked thats what idiots do on twitter hadnt wiggins watched other recruits get killed..Great talent iffy backbone and the social skills of royce white.. I for one wish him to be the best Darius Rice clone..

39. Brent
    3:17 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

36. Kansas is KU (Kansas University). Kentucky is UK (University of Kentucky)

40. Michael Lewis
    3:42 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins is a great player, but I think Randle is a better fit for UK. We have plenty of scorers; Randle gives us a dominate big man at both ends of the floor; think Charles Barkly (only 5″ taller) vs Carmello Anthony. I wish Andrew good luck at KU, he is a need for them and he was never more than a want for us.