Fan claims that if Rupp adds suites, she will “opt out of the Big Blue Nation”

New_Rupp

Jerry Tipton out Jerry Tiptoned himself this weekend. Tipton interviewed UK fan Jeanette Hislope about her thoughts on the upcoming renovations to Rupp Arena. We linked the story over the weekend, but her remarks deserve another look.

Hislope, whom calls herself a “good old girl from Somerset,” says that if premium seating such as a club level or skyboxes are added to Rupp Arena, she will no longer be a Kentucky fan:

“I always bleed blue. I think this will make me opt out of the Big Blue Nation if they mess with Rupp Arena. Very few things are deal-breakers. That’s one. I would never say a word against the Big Blue Nation. But I’d be done. That will ruin what I consider the heart and soul of Rupp Arena.”

Hislope, a “friendly” and “outgoing” fan according to Tipton, says that Rupp’s charm is that people from all walks of life sit together, creating the true “Big Blue Nation”: “I love Rupp because it’s where a multi-millionaire can sit next to somebody who just got lucky and was able to scarf a ticket.”

I think you meant scalp, Jeannette, but that’s cool. Your utopian views of Rupp are really sweet, and I’ll agree that the arena’s current lack of premium seating and suites does give it a collegiate atmosphere. However, those suites and club levels are critical and likely inevitable because they will fund the renovation, along with corporate sponsorship. It could also improve the game atmosphere if students are given more seats in the lower arena because those multi-millionaires may purchase seats in a suite instead.

Leave it to Jerry to find the one fan who would give up her love for the Cats for something as small as a skybox.

91 Comments for Fan claims that if Rupp adds suites, she will “opt out of the Big Blue Nation”

1. See ya
    12:03 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Enjoy pulling for Tennessee

2. Tomas
    12:04 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Hard to believe an individual is that stupid. Does she not understand how making money works?

3. UKSupporter76
    12:05 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I hope nobody tells Jeannette that Rupp Arena already has things like catered food and better bathrooms for the “elite” crowd at Rupp.

4. Irony
    12:06 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Ironically many people have opted out of Herald Leader subscriptions due to the addition of more Tipton columns and blogs. The real question is how does Tipton seek out these exclusives?

5. garric
    12:09 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Tipton is aweful and this womans opinion makes no sense..If shes not happy about it thats fine but to stop being a UK fan is idiotic..

6. cousin it
    12:09 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Stop linking this TURD!

7. Matt
    12:10 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

But if we start losing the blue hairs down low, who will sit on their asses the whole game, fall asleep, yell at the people getting up around them and then cut out halfway through the second half to beat the traffic?

8. Truth
    12:13 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

9. Rei
    12:13 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

moving the older people up or away would be fine. Grandma and Grandpa bring 0 energy to the game.

10. M. Vick
    12:15 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

11. TN Cat
    12:15 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

This does not bode well for Kentucky.

12. DB11
    12:16 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Lol see you later. We can do without fans that are ignorant as to how this world works.

13. Rollin in History
    12:16 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I was student at UK when Rupp Arena 1st opened. I had the best (I thought) seats in Rupp, (Lower level, about 12 rows up). I got them from UKathletics student tickets distribution.
    How times have changed.

14. KDH
    12:18 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

What the heck is so sacred about the arena? It isn’t that old to have that much sentiment attached to it. It is singularly ugly. It was a badly designed arena when it was built and has long needed a redesign.

15. KevinM
    12:18 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Leave it to Tipton to get the only story of significance when talking about Rupp upgrades.
    Tipton never mentions the season ticket waiting list.

16. fakinnomah
    12:19 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

If that’s all it takes for you to give up your UK fanhood then don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

17. jaws2
    12:20 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

No ms. TT, she meant scarf. Perhaps you’ve never heard the phrase, normally meant to get lucky and acquire a ticket somehow. Stick around, you’ll learn something from the masses of the regular Joe every now and then. BTW, I get her point, but time marches on.

18. KY_CATS_FAN
    12:21 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Hey Jeanette, I totally agree, it’s ridiculous. I think you should stand up for what you believe in and OPT OUT TODAY. Can I have your tickets!

19. Bobbum man
    12:24 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

16- my thoughts exactly, can’t be that big of a fan if that’s all it takes for you to bail

20. Wildcatsteeler
    12:28 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Ahh, the classic redneck attitude. I can’t see the big picture because I’m ignorant but think I’m always right, and base everything off of emotions, beliefs and gut feelings. And terrified of change. Doesn’t she know that being a Kentucky redneck means you have to be a rightwing corporate tool? So you have to want luxury boxes for your masters. She doesn’t understand those multi-millionaires don’t want to sit next to her. They just want her misinformed/uniformed vote and servitude.

21. Gap Tooth Danny
    12:29 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Maybe I just missed it, but the story does not mention that the good ol’ girl has tickets, or for that matter HAS EVER BEEN TO GAME AT RUPP! Tipton has become a parody of a parody of himself lol.

22. Somerset Cat
    12:31 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Good grief. This dumb woman gives Somerset a bad name. Just trying to get herself a little fame. She’s obviously not a true blue fan!

23. Jen
    12:32 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

2. Ah, yes. The woman who has an earnest view of sports as containing an element of a non-hierarchical community is “stupid” according to you because her worldview isn’t dominated by making money.

24. Blasphemy
    12:35 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I really can’t wait for NJT’s take on this article by JT. He’s going to really bring his game on this one, I just know it!

25. Cracks me up
    12:35 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Comments like #9 and #18 crack me up. Not to stereotype you like you all have done to this Somerset fan, but you move those blue hairs out and what do you think would happen? Joe college student sure isn’t going to donate thousands of $$’s to the Blue White fund. And you ask for the tix, are you gonna pony up the few thousand $$ per year just for the PSL alone?

I have UK season tix, Upper Arena. My dad had them and now I do. Now I would not opt out of BBN due to Arena changes, just give up my tix. In general, I get what she is saying. The whole experience of athletic events has been corporate subsidized. If you are too young to get that, it’s a shame you never experienced cheap seats and non- luxury box venues. Ask average Joe UofL fan how he likes his Yum Center experience. Most don’t.

26. tyson
    12:39 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Just when I thought Jerry was getting better. This article really could have been written by Not Jerry Tipton. I know it has been said a million times before, but I don’t know how or why the LHL keeps him on staff and I also don’t know why UK keeps giving him access. Just pull his press pass. It couldn’t generate any more bad publicity for UK than he already does.

27. DelusionVille
    12:43 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

28. WGY944
    12:46 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

If the Tipster had his way, Tubby Smith would still be coaching, UK would average about 5 wins a year & the fans would be let in free…but not too many, wouldn’t want to make too much noise.

29. Rei
    12:51 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I’ve sat in the upper arena and it sucks. I’m pretty sure they force you to donate just like football tickets do.

30. Derp
    12:52 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

To all you idiot skeptics who think the AT&T commercials with the kids are scripted… http://m.now.msn.com/kids-in-atandt-commercials-arent-scripted

31. jimlowe7
    12:52 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

This lady is not and never has been a UK fan…put her tickets (as if she really has any) in a lottery and make some money for a charity (like starting a REAL newspaper in Lexington!).

32. cracka
    12:58 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

a real uk fan would not allow tipton to interview her … there’s the dead giveaway

33. Dexter
    1:03 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I was just at the yum center this weekend for a concert. I love Rupp but some serious changes need to be made to even be in the same ballpark.

34. Kyle
    1:05 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Moving the rich people to suites would mean louder fans would have the chance to sit lower which in turn would make for a better atmosphere in Rupp.

35. Cotton Mash
    1:11 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Ditto #10… “I think that Jerry has resorted to trying to one-up “Not Jerry”. This does NOT bode well for Kentucky!!!”

36. Dick Tracy
    1:11 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

30 I hope you aren’t an attorney bc your proof is weak. First of all, why would we believe the executive says because he could be lying to make the ads seem cuter? Secondly, if we are to believe him, he clearly said they are “generally all improvised” and that they do have a script if their responses aren’t funny. Generally all improvised = probably not really improvised but we want to get attention from people thinking these are cute so we will say they are generally improvised.

37. eric
    1:12 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

1st six rows all the way around should be exclusively for UK students. Move the rich up a little. Old farts can see better midway up anyway.

38. John
    1:13 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Is this lady real or did Tipton make her up?

39. eric
    1:15 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

And screw this lady. I am sick and tired of people threatening to do this and do that. I see it all the time on Facebook. “Not going to watch a certain TV station anymore because of their Facebook post” blah blah blah. Go ahead and boycott if you think it will matter to anyone. Human beings sure are some annoying creatures.

40. Derp
    1:17 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

36… “scripted” in a general sense, means these kids were given their lines… They were not! And if you believe that then no worries… I heard there is a club retards that just got started up… with about 95% of the fans on this site

41. Derp
    1:22 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

36… And if you’re trying to use the argument that that kid was saying the girls line then look closer. He’s simply finishing off her generic “what about infinity times infinity” line. Have you always been so slow that you can’t finish peoples sentences for them… Even the generic ones that have been said since childhood?

42. Rod
    1:24 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I have no problem with suites and a club level. As others have pointed out it would allow placing students closer to the floor, though greed will likely result in little or minimal change to student seating. But I do have a problem with selling alcohol at college sporting events. And believe you me I am no teetotaler. It simply degrades rather than enhances the atmosphere. Also, I believe it’s more than hypocritical to sell alcohol to a privileged few and then punish students who try to sneak in a beer or two or a flask.

43. Musehobo
    1:29 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

What kind of person gives up their fanhood over skyboxes? She must be a first class twit. I have, sadly, given up my fanhood once. The Bungles. After they acquired T.O., Pacman (murder ya) Jones, and Matt Jones (not KSR’s…the crackhead from Jacksonville), the Bengals made a commitment against character, and now I do not have an NFL team to root for. But skyboxes? Really?

44. valuemartchris
    1:32 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Let this fan “opt out”. Better yet, let Jerry Tipton opt out and go work for Fox41 with Rick Bozich and the boys where he belongs. Put all those stuffy millionaires in the boxes so some real fans can “opt in” to Rupp Arena and make some real noise.

45. UKBlue
    1:34 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Bye Bye, hell I’ll help you move. It’s this kind of stupidity & closed minded thinking especially in the old blue hairs in the BBN that has kept us stuck in neutral in certain area.

46. SoCal Will
    1:35 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Euthanize everyone trying to get into Rupp older than Calipari and require a diploma or current student ID for those younger. Problem solved and BBN cleansed in one swell foop.

47. Nick
    1:38 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Ok, look, I love Kentucky basketball and the city of Lexington, but the arena looks like crap. The city of Lexington, KY is a beautiful mid-major city, but Rupp arena looks very old. Now I’m not hating , but just stating a fact. Rupp arena needs to be renovated very Badly. I truly believe, if the university of Kentucky and the city of Lexington, decides to renovate Rupp; the city will get larger, downtown will be funnier, and it will make the city and the university better! #GoBigBlue

48. jhnny
    1:41 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m generally with you Tyler, but this sentence made me laugh out loud: “It could also improve the game atmosphere if students are given more seats in the lower arena because those multi-millionaires may purchase seats in a suite instead.” UK has been snipping away at student tickets for a LONG time. When I went to UK in the early 90’s you could still get student tickets in the lower level at mid-court in Rupp. Those days are long gone. And they are not coming back, sadly. Its all about money- and putting students closer to the action doesn’t make much money sense, unfortunately.

But I fall in the camp that says Rupp needs to be renovated. But when it is renovated, trust me, it won’t mean better seats for students.

49. Tom Blevins
    1:41 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I commented on this yesterday, in another place on this site. But here’s an additional comment. I have never attended a Kentucky basketball game in Rupp Arena. I probably never will. I have attended a couple of road games, but I’ll probably never do that again. I can remember a time when Kentucky would have maybe a half a dozen games on TV a season, tickets to home games in the 11,500 seat Memorial Coliseum were super hard to come by unless you were lucky, had connections, or had lots of money. My main link to Kentucky games was radio and Cawood Ledford. Yet I bleed blue, and would never have thought of quitting rooting for my Cats. Even if I didn’t get to see them that often, they were still my Cats. I cheered for them even during that horrid 19 loss season in 1989. I’m not about to quit on them now. If Jeanette Hislope wants to quit cheering for Kentucky when Rupp Arena is renovated, to quote Coach Calipari, “God bless her.” I wish her well. If she has season tickets, and wants to turn them in, to quote Coach Rupp, “They’ll last about 10 minutes.”

50. Gazza
    1:46 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Too many of these people don’t understand the price of UK season tickets. How much money is enough? Each and every year the ticket prices go up. My family split the 2 lower tickets we have had for the last 37 years and Memorial before that. The Blue hairs are there with their headphones on, but they are at the game at tip time and the last shot. The seats that will be mostly affected are the bleachers. God bless those fans that sit through a game with knees in their backs. This won’t increase the seating only increase the price, to everyone.

51. KevinKat78
    1:56 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I love the ideal to repair Rupp. I understand the box seats but I also don’t like them. So what. This reporter should be banned from UK functions. This fan is alright.

52. brain
    1:57 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Anybody who really bleeds blue wouldn’t opt out for any reason let alone something like this.

53. stupid is as stupid does
    1:59 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

hard to believe someone is this dumb and/or hard-headed. there are about a million things wrong with her comments….and while I’m tempted to spell them out (as many before me have), I’m thinking it would take me the rest of the workday. that said, she is an idiot and tipton the biggest troll the world might ever see.

54. Micah
    2:03 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

What will the BBN do without this moronic lady? Hopefully we’ll survive

55. are you serious?
    2:04 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

jhnny Says: “When I went to UK in the early 90′s you could still get student tickets in the lower level at mid-court in Rupp. Those days are long gone.”

Either you had too many beers and bourbon before those games (threw off your vision), or you remember your college days with rose-colored glasses. (Either that, or things changed greatly between “early 90s” and 1996…in which case, I apologize for calling you out jhnny.) That said, there were no lower level seats at mid-court for students in the 90s!!!! I never sat in them…and I don’t have a friend who sat in them. The lowers were behind the basket and in the corners (equivalent to free-throw line to baseline). Mid-court was reserved for the people in their 70s that never stood up and barely made noise. I’m guessing its the exact same people today (the ones who’ve made it)…but now they are in their 90s! haha

56. kybigblue
    2:05 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Mr.Negative did it again. He knows putting UK down in anyway will get him attention. Things will never be exactly like they were in the past. I am sure there are people who will be happy to purchase any ticket given up by a season ticket holder.

57. dude
    2:06 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Jeanette: Don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

58. Ridge Runner
    2:10 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Opt out of BBN? Hell lady, you weren’t a true fan to begin with…see ya!

59. Ridge Runner
    2:11 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

–as I said when this was first reported… Tipton finds an interview with a negative side to the renovation?? Puleeezeee, that is common practice no matter the UK-related topic.

60. second rate is being generous
    2:16 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

8.Truth Says: “The biggest problem with Rupp is that we have an old wealthy aristocracy that floods the lower level of the arena. Often I don’t even seen fans stand and applaud and it sickens me. Our atmosphere compared to Duke, Kansas, or Florida is 2nd rate!”

I agree with you on nearly all points TRUTH. Most of those lower level fans love the team, they give money, they are great in all those ways…but as far as being actual “fanatics” at games, they $uck (to the highest order!). When I was a freshman, I was so excited to go to my first UK game ever. My god…what a sleeper. Granted UK rolled over some squid in november, but it took ten minutes to realize most these “fans” are practically sleeping, even after consecutive turnovers and dunks by the Cats. I thought it would change come conference play. Not really! In 4 yrs of going to about 10 games a year, I only look back at a handful of those games as being memorable from a “frenzied fan experience” standpoint. Within my first 5 yrs out, I had the oppty to go to home games at Florida (versus a weak non-conference team) and Kansas (versus a slightly above average non-conference team), and both of those games blow away anything I ever experienced at Rupp. That said…I think our atmosphere is maybe 5th or 8th rate compared to Duke/Kansas/Florida. (Ever watch the TV games at Utah State, New Mexico State, and about 25 other schools that pack it in and make a ton of noise? Rupp’s fans hardly hold water when compared to many of these.)

61. The Anti-JT
    2:44 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Agree with 99% of the comments on here. Jeanette is NOT a true BBN member. Her card status has been revoked. Good luck out there Jeanette, remember if you ain’t running with us you running from us mother f***** aight

62. playersfan
    2:44 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Speakiing of money, it makes no sense to spend the amount of money being talked about here, and not increase the seating substantially. In 5 to 10 years they will look back and say what were we thinking. The only way this plan can make more money, is sell fewer tickets and charge more.
    I also don’t like the commercialization of the chicken bucket, with the flashing advertisements. It seems to me UK income is just fine, just need more people to be able to see them play.

63. blake
    2:56 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Lol, this lady is obviously 60 or older. I couldn’t imagine why changing the facilities where “your” team plays would make you that upset.

64. PhilUK18
    3:00 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Bye, Jeanette. BBN is not upset at your inevitable defection, and neither is the actual university or it’s athletic department. Feel free to go down to Neyland Stadium and whatever their bball arena is called and partake in their garbage truck workers convention, proudly donning their orange.

65. Tom Blevins
    3:00 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Just a thought that occurred to me. Would it be feasible to put a dome over Commonwealth Stadium and play our basket ball games there? That would increase the number of seats available for fans, and the stadium already has skyboxes. I don’t know if we could do this or not. I just thought I would throw it out and see what my fellow fans thought.

66. PhilUK18
    3:07 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

65.

Seems to me that could be feasible. Granted I don’t really know anything about architecture, but it seems like that would actually be a really good solution. Not sure how expensive it would be compared to adding to Rupp either, so that would be another important variable.

67. Judy
    3:09 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Bye-bye Jeanette

68. jhnny
    3:19 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

#55 This- “That said, there were no lower level seats at mid-court for students in the 90s!!!!” is incorrect. Go back and read what I wrote- I said early ’90s. Like ’90 ’91, ’92, ’93, etc. If the eruption zone was in effect when you arrived, you were too late. I still have ticket stubs for section 31 from when I was in school. They created the eruption zone and took the mid-court seats away from the students. They tried to do this once in 1989 or so, but the student government went nuts. Apparently, they were successful during your time at the university.

69. J
    3:22 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Leave it to Jerry Tipton to generate another negative slant article about Kentucky. There will always be flakes out there that say and do dumb things. You just don’t expect it to always come from a home town sports beat writer.

Jerry Tipton is like the drunk uncle that always shows up to family functions, no matter if he is invited or not.

70. RUSS
    3:23 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Don’t you mess wit my arena!

71. joecrawfordsfoot
    3:55 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Hate that she feels that way. I reckon it has its pro’s and con’s but this proves its impossible to please everyone. I like her views on it, you’d be crazy not to understand where she’s coming from but on the other hand this is Kentucky basketball and we have to do what’s best for the program. This would def put UK basketball at the top as far as overall facilities
    . Rupp areans WILL STILL BE THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL. No matter how big a face lift it gets

72. OBERTOMATT
    3:58 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

TEACH ME BOUT KENTUCKY

73. Kidnut
    4:15 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Failed to mention the part in the article where Jeannette expounds on the rule of any ball that goes in her yard is hers.

74. ukatw
    4:18 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

It is amazing to me how Jerry Tipton can write a column or a blog with his head so far up his ASS!

75. Kidnut
    4:18 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I was at UK in the early 90s and you could get sections 32-34 with your student tickets. They were the upper half of those sections.

76. TheColoradoWildcat
    4:19 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I might understand if she said that in her opinion, it was a mistake. But to secede from the BBN? Nah. If that were to happen, we would have every right to question her citizenship in the first place. At least as an illegal alien, she may well get some ObamaCare!

77. z28_zeppelin
    4:24 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

“It could also improve the game atmosphere if students are given more seats in the lower arena because those multi-millionaires may purchase seats in a suite instead.” – How thick headed are you? When the students moved behind the basket they lost seating 2-1. What makes you think this would be any different? Terrible Take.

78. Humphrey
    4:25 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Hey #20, thanks for bringing your ignorant liberal politics to this discussion. I thought sure you would end it by saying its Bushs fault.

79. Big Blue Coming At You
    4:25 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

So she’s going to throw in her UK card just because she can’t embrace change? I’m sure UK will have no problem filling that empty seat.

80. msnthrop
    4:27 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I think the main thing the Hislope women was objecting to was the possibility taxpayers will be asked to fund the renovations to Rupp Arena, and frankly I kind of agree with her on that. If the rich folks want a nicer place to sit then they can pay for it out of their own pockets. Numerous reports have discussed the use of coal severance taxes to pay for the 3.5 million arena design budget and if I lived in a coal producing county that would piss me off to. There is something to be said for promoting an entertainment district and renovating Rupp for all its users, but if a significant portion of the funding coming from the state will benefit a tiny portion of the population, well, I wouldn’t support that because it would be the exact opposite of what a progressive tax system is supposed to promote.

81. Winston
    4:32 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I don’t care what changes they make. But the name needs to be left alone. It’s Rupp Arena. Not Burger King Arena or Rupp Arena at Walmart Place. Leave the name alone.

82. Rqa
    4:41 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I would say this falls under the “Man bites Dog” type of story. To write a story that would be a non-story would be rather bland. I think most UK fans would favor the renovations…that ain’t news. What is news is to find that small segment of fans that oppose it. And it isn’t as if Tipton doesn’t present opposing PoVs from the supporting side of the equation.
    Matt, I thought you were a progressive? So the H-L should squash any talk of anyone who doesn’t back the idea to do the renovations???

83. Flippercat
    4:47 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

If you want a high-level coach and staff, high-level facilities, and a high-level athletics department, it costs money. UK has increased their annual budget significantly in the last 10 years, and it has paid off department wide. However – UK still is middle of the pack in the SEC. Why? Because fans at the powerhouse football schools all spend on football seating what we do for basketball. There is a premium charged to have the best football seats at Alabama. And they do that for tens of thousands more seats than we can at Rupp. Suites and boxes will give those donating money additional options, but it will absolutely not put the fans who can’t make a pledge and/or annual donation in better seats. The lower seats will always have a price tag with them as long as people are willing to make those pledges. And that will mostly be the older population with disposable income. Most programs comparable to ours with a long standing fan base have a comparable atmosphere in their arenas. Duke has a great student section, but the other side of the floor isn’t any different than Rupp. With the financial demands of a top notch SEC athletic department, you will NEVER have the funds required plus the energy in the lower arena.

84. Typical Tipton
    5:43 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Tipton is always trying to make waves with some obscure point of view which typically sheds a negative light on UK basketball. Overwhelmingly the BBN fan base supports the expansion. Tipton goes out and finds the minority opinion and gives it a voice.

Jerry please retire. You look old and have no voice anymore in the commonwealth. Your employer sucks too ..

85. Rqa
    7:02 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

84, I’m not sure what is wrong with shedding light on a minority PoV? Many and in some cases most people support and/or oppose issues without any real knowledge of the issue. There are many things in our world today that majorities support that were at one time minority opinions.
    I’d hardly say that one fan’s opinion sheds much light in any direction…especially when it is presented as “one fan’s opinion”. I thought this particular fan’s opinion was pretty flimsy and if anything only served to make that fan look rather petty. If she is a witness for the prosecution then their case is in big trouble. I’m sure if Tipton was trying to lobby against the idea, which is what most here seem to think, he could have found someone with a much more substantive reasons to do so.

86. bung
    7:11 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Rupp is the best…hope I can scarf up a ticket sounds right to me…

87. Big Ed
    9:18 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

So many ignorant, arrogant people who talk out of their asses on here. Just wondering are these adults that make these childish statements. UK should build an Arena on campus and get out of Rupp. Should have been done it years ago. Make an arena for the blue collar fans and forget all the sky boxes. Corporations will give big money for the construction for advertising rights. Dealing with the City of Lexington is a mistake and the tax payers out of the city are funding the this project and for one I don’t like it. An arena for UK built on the campus is what the tax payers would be happy with, not giving their money to Lexington so all the palm greasing can continue. Please remember there are far more problems in this state that are more important.

88. Holler Baller
    9:45 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

If that’s all Old Jerry has to write about then that is sad. The rest of last weeks Basketball Jokebook wasn’t much better.

I think a half court shot should be worth 5 points and free throws should only be allowed granny style. Maybe I can get in the paper as next weeks fan of the week.

89. Harold
    10:43 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I gotta agree with the lady. I hate to see Rupp become for the elite people of the commonwealth only. i want regular folks at the games. Thats why the SEC Tourney is so fun. It has regular UK fans who cant get into Rupp there

90. HeHateMe
    2:54 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

BS. I would be a Kentucky fan if they tore down Rupp and put a dirt court ala “Air Up There” in its place. I don’t root for Kentucky because of Rupp Arena. It’s a landmark, but Kentucky basketball is bigger than that. Send them back to the Armory, and I’ll love it all the same. This girl dumb.

91. cats72
    5:24 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

I thought the world ended when the Kats moved to Rupp Arena, how could anything be better than seeing Coach Rupp walk out the tunnel, hear the students say “Hello Cawood” and then “Hello Coach Rupp”, ask players from that era, but alas progress has a price, and Rupp Arena was built, now it is time for it to be improved, as long as UK plays anywhere I am a fan. From Alumni gym, to Memorial to Rupp to an improved Rupp it is just a fact of life, money talks, so enjoy it and go Cats. Oh and fire Jerry !!!