Facebook’s Friday News and Views

Good morning and Happy Facebook Day to you, my beloved KSR readers.  When the world looks back and reflects on great internet innovation when we’re all riding around in flying cars or living through avatars in twenty years, they’ll likely start with a piece of the web known as Kentucky Sports Radio.  After they’ve sufficiently shown love to Matt Jones and Rob Gidel, though, the world will likely celebrate Facebook, which celebrates its 7th birthday today.  That’s right, on this day in 2004, a goober named Zuckerberg launched a little website that would eventually not only change the life of college students, but eventually the world as a whole.  What started as a way for you to creep on hot girls and find people from your classes to mooch notes off of has now evolved into a way for you to creep on hot girls and pretend you didn’t see your grandmother’s poke.  It’s turned the day after Halloween into a must-search and pretty much gauranteed that anyone who entered college after 2004 will marry someone with the fear that they’ll come across a stomach-turning photo of their spouse online at some point.  Most importantly, it gave us the neverending comedy that is Mark Hamilton.  So, happy birthday to you, Facebook.  Keep on creepin’ on.

Now onto a few UK notes…

– If there was ever a day to lose on the road to a bad Mississippi team, Coach Cal’s team picked a good one as Signing Day Wednesday seemed to slow the irritated masses a bit and divert some of the attention elsewhere.  While frustrations were temporarily diverted a bit, the fact remains that the Cats look to bounce back from their worst game of the season by entering one of their toughest games to this point.  It wasn’t too long ago that these two basketball teams appeared to be heading in the exact opposite directions as Florida dropped games at home to UCF and Jacksonville and struggled with American and Kent State.  In SEC play, however, the Gators have proven that they can win the big games so far and they’re now a team that presents several issues for a vulnerable Kentucky team

1. Size inside – In the post-Noah, Horford and Brewer years, the Gators have been as soft those blankets from Brookstone.  In the early part of the season, it looked to be much of the same thing.  As the season has progressed, though, they’ve found some presence inside from players who, on paper, look to be exactly the types of athletes that give Kentucky problems.  Former McDonald’s All-American Vernon Macklin is finally showing signs of playing with the presence that Florida expected to get from him when he transferred from Georgetown and Chandler Parsons – yes, Chandler Parsons – has posted double-digit rebounds in the last four games.  They’re improved work on the boards has allowed Alex Tyus to move back to his natural role of a physical inside-out guy and they’re getting nice minutes from Erik Murphy and freshman All-American Patric Young.  On paper, the Gators seem to have a sizable advantage inside.  That’s a big change from years past.

2. Road Environment – Despite their early issues at home and an SEC loss in Gainesville to South Carolina, Florida will have a decided advantage in front of a GameDay crowd sure to be loud and ready by the time tip-off rolls around at 9pm.  Given Kentucky’s struggles in road games in Athens, Tuscaloosa and Oxford – all of which are far less intimidating than The O Dome – the Cats have an uphill battle on their hands.  It will be a lot harder to take the Florida crowd out of the game than it was in their victory over South Carolina, but it all starts with, well, the start.  The Cats have to stand tall early and avoid letting the crowd’s emotion raise Florida’s play and lure them into making the “hero plays” that Coach Cal spoke about a few weeks ago.  This is where they have a chance to make a statement.  Will they make it?

3. Experience – For the first time in SEC play this year, the Cats will not have a clear talent advantage in their favor and, if they are able to push the game to the wire, you have to wonder if they’ll be able to finish it.  Kentucky has not closed out a close game yet this season and struggled with execution and decision-making down the stretch several times.  Florida, meanwhile, has closed out three of the SEC’s best teams (Tennessee, Georgia and Vandy) and won both contests that went to overtime.  In fact, 8 of the Gators’ last 9 games have ended with a deficit of six-points or less or gone to overtime and Florida is 7-1 in those games.  It’s another area where Coach Cal is waiting for his team to take the next step and one where Florida appears to have found a comfort level.  Again, it’s another chance for this team to move forward.  If they do it in Gainesville, it will be a Shagari-sized step.

– Saturday’s game also brings major implications in terms of the SEC standings.  If the Cats drop Saturday’s game to the Gators, they’ll likely remove themselves from contention for an SEC regular season title.  With eight games remaining, climbing back to the top wouldn’t be impossible, but falling two games behind with Mississippi State, another game with Florida and two apiece against Tennessee and Vandy remaining, creeping back atop the standings would be very difficult.  A victory would put them either tied with the Vols or one game back, depending on how Tennessee fares against Alabama.  That’s another long way of just saying, “Win the damn game”.

– On a more positive note, 2011 commit Kyle Wiltjer was picked for the Nike Hoops Summit game, which is to be played in his home state in April.  Wiltjer, who holds dual US and Canadian citizenship, will most likely play on the international team against his three future teammates, Anthony Davis, Marquis Teague and Michael Gilchrist.  He’s currently sitting out with an ankle injury, but is expected to be ready for the high school playoffs in March and the UK Showcase, I mean Hoops Summit.  No word on whether Josh Hopkins will be there.  Reminder:  Watch Cougar Town Wednesdays at 9:30 on ABC.

– On a final Signing Day note, during Joker Phillips’ press conference, he challenged the media to write stories about the guys they thought would become the future stars of the program.  Fortunately, I’m not in the media and I don’t have to answer his challenge.  But, the people who know these things on a level much higher than I do myself, the guys that have that “star” potential to them seem to be running back Marcus Caffey, defensive end David Washington, linebacker Demarius Rancifer and Bubba Tandy, whatever position he might play.  You could even throw Christian Coleman and the trio of solid offensive linemen in that group.  And while many people are frustrated with the star rankings of the players Kentucky brought in when compared to their SEC peers (well, not really “peers”) and the Filthy Cards, one thing to note with this class when compared to those in the past is that the Cats seemed to sign players that were rising in their rankings and guys who have physical abilities that will allow them to develop at a faster rate.  For Kentucky, that’s progress and a good class.  It’s now on the staff to develop them.  That was the bread and butter of the staff under Rich Brooks.  Joker and his guys now have the chance to do the same.

– Remember back when we were writing nearly every single day about DeAndre Daniels enrolling early and possibly playing in the spring?  Well, Daniels is back at IMG Academy and will finish out his senior season there instead of heading to Kansas early.  Given the fact that he got us all excited about possibly reclassifying prior to this season and didn’t, we probably should have filed this under the “Fool me once…” heading.  Oh, DeAndre, you’re such a tease.

– On a non-related note, feel free to follow @KennethColePR on Twitter.  It was born from this.  And it’s funny.

– Finally, say a little prayer for Drew Franklin.  He’s on his way to Las Vegas for six days.  Let’s hope he makes it back.  We don’t want to do another blogger contest.

That’s it for now.  Stay tuned throughout the day as we get you all prepped for the ESPN College GameDay showdown with the Gators and confuse at least 5-10 angry people with another appearance from Not Jerry Tipton.  The fun gets going with Matt and Zach at 10am on Talk Radio 1080.  In the meantime, let’s remember to give thanks for the recruit that got away to Gainesville, Dan Werner, and hope his spirit can still haunt Billy Donovan’s team.

See you in a few…

Article written by Thomas Beisner

38 Comments for Facebook’s Friday News and Views

1. Bruce Pearlnecklace
    11:49 pm February 3, 2011 Permalink

1st

2. Catsincebirth
    11:50 pm February 3, 2011 Permalink

Well, do I need to say it!

3. SexnNursinHomes
    11:57 pm February 3, 2011 Permalink

Rancifer is my favorite new player. His name sounds like someone who breaks bones and souls.

Facebook- I hate it- matter of fact, I made my status today talking about how much I hate Facebook- a little bit of irony and hypocrisy all rolled up into one. Then I talked about my afternoon boner, and my pee smelling from aspargus. boy I got a lot going on in my life. Thanks Zuckerberg

4. Diller
    12:00 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

You were Mark Hamilton(commentor), Beez!

5. Thomas Beisner
    12:02 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

3, are we friends on Facebook? If not, just say yes. I’ll be furious if that’s the case.

6. SexnNursinHomes
    12:12 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

5- Confirm.

7. Kentucky14
    12:22 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Florida is a must win if we want a shot at the SEC title.

8. Thomas Beisner
    12:24 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

6, happy to finally put a face to the filth.

9. tdogg4033011
    1:00 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

is it okay to hate Florida?? I do !!!

10. I hate Acid Reflux
    1:07 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Florida: 73
    Kentucky: 67

Why? Because Miller is weak and scared. And because Jones is a ball hog. And because Knight and Lamb are all we have!!

11. Scorpeezy
    1:27 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Ha! That @KennethColeCPR had me laughing so hard that I couldn’t wipe the tears away fast enough. That’s good stuff and one of the many reasons why this is my favorite website.

12. GCAM23
    6:03 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Move to KY already and elevate your game TB. Do it. Do it.

13. GoBlue55
    6:20 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

If Miller and Vargas take their tampon out and give us some quality minutes, we will win.

14. catty
    8:00 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

UK Hoops team won easily over Auburn last night. Making that 7 straight wins for the gals. They play #4 Tennessee at HOME on Monday night. Go pull the Hoops team on!

15. bung
    8:04 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Hood to the rescue…….

16. bung
    8:12 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

They don’t have a Neal Walk this year….we b ok.

17. Cristoforouk
    8:19 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

At what point does the coaching staff take some blame for our end of game struggles? We have executed poorly in close games, both offensively and defensively, but I also think we have looked lost and passive on offense. Very stagnant at the end of games.

18. catty
    8:26 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Don’t forget to wear RED today for Go Red for Women’s Day!

19. Franktown
    8:36 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Go Cats…

20. Don
    8:49 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

UK – 77
    uf – 63

21. Roach K
    8:53 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Unfortunately, the Cats are soft. They crack under pressure like an uncooked egg. If they ever want to change that, they have to show us something. Maybe a few days of soul-searching will make them come out and play mad. They can’t beat even the weak sisters of the SEC on the road, and now we have to take on a Florida team that is actually decently good. Time to grow some, boys.

22. georgepatampkin
    8:55 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Taylor Swift looks like a rabbit…just sayin…

23. Al's IndiCats
    8:58 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

18, bless your heart, but for the life of me I can’t wear ANYTHING red. Living here in Indy if you wear red you are automatically associated with IU. And of course it’s also one of the main colors of being a RA-Tard Card fan (No offense to anyone with downs or any other debilitating condition). I have nothing……absolutly NOTHING in red as in clothing. A friend of mine gave me a red sweatshirt for Christmas one year, and believe me it was the warmest sweatshirt I ever recieved. ONLY because I cut it up and used it for fire starters in my fireplace.

24. jp
    9:00 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I think Jones is horrible. Am I the only one that really believes this? When I usually say that, I get trashed by everyone. He interrupts the flow of the offense. Too much 1 on 1 ball for me. Jones goes left every time… everyone knows that now. He tries to go right and fails 80% of the time. They give it to him on the perimeter. Shot fake. Drives to the basket going left. Throws up some half-assed shot. It’s going to get worse. No one is going to go for that shot fake any more. He air balls every other 3 he takes. He can get better, and I hope with everything I have that he does or we are finished this year. He has to play good for us to go anywhere. I do like how he hit the big free throws down the stretch the other night.

25. Don
    9:03 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

“I think Jones is horrible”

You lost me with this. You KNOW that this is a poorly thought out rant with an agenda. Perhaps you could have worded it in a way that fot your arguement without losing all credibility with the opening remark.

26. jp
    9:16 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Yeah… he gets his points and his stats but he hurts the team. That’s why I think he is horrible. Yes… I said horrible (with some exaggeration). They are better with him than without because they have nothing to replace him with. If they did, he wouldn’t be playing as much as he does.

27. bigbluecats350
    9:18 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

this will be one of the toughest games because the gameday crowd. but other than that we have more talent and well…. just get out there UK and take ur balls out of ur purses and kick their f’n aces. Cal may need to take the blame for his end of game coaching, but its the players who have to go out and be aggressive and play to win rather than clam up and just try to keep from losing. not every movement the players make is drawn up and dictated by the coach. these players didnt become highly ranked recruits by doing everything their previous coaches told them to do and how to do it. most of them got good on their own hard work and determination. so just because they are 18 year old kids doesnt mean they cant step up and be leaders. they did it in high school and nobody said there had to be one leader

28. IndyAlum
    9:36 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I didn’t know who Kenneth Cole was until yesterday… the PR account is freakin hilarious.

29. Corky Thatcher
    10:23 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

23 – offense taken; Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da life goes on.

30. craziness....
    10:35 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

24. i agree with you and i normally get trashed on it too. i don’t think he is a bad player, i think he has the potential to be great, but he is a ball hog and what people dont realize is that when he doesn’t have the ball in his hands, he has no idea what to do. i can recall a game, LSU i believe, when Hood got some significant play time and have to save Jones’ ass because he didn’t know how to run the play that was called. like i said, he isn’t bad, he just doesn’t care about this program at all and that is evident. he wants the ball in his hands, he wants to “save the day” like john wall last year, and he wants to go to the NBA. and to be honest, i can’t wait until he does, get us a player in here that WANTS to be here and WANTS to play like a member of a team and not a one-on-one player.

31. sunnycat
    10:53 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

24 I think Jones biggest problem is he still thinks he is playing high school ball and he is the best player in the building. I think the Ole Miss game is the first game he has played where after he scores he stands there and does that stupid scream he does after he scores.

32. jp
    11:46 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Don’t get me wrong either… I am pulling for Jones and hopes he turns it around. I just wish he would move the ball more and play a little better team ball. Maybe he’s doing exactly what the coaches want him to do. I don’t know. He just frustrates me every game with some of the things he does.

33. bung
    11:56 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Hood is good.

34. tom9698
    12:03 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

I also agree about Jones.I got home from work just at the start of 2nd half and after watching the first few minutes,i had to turn the channel because i was getting pretty upset at the play of Jones.To me it was a joke at how he was playing and carrying himself during the game!Total lack of heart,desire and team chemistry.Agree with what 31 said,like he was still in highschool.There is no i in team which this team has a hard time figuring out.Miller like last year is hoping one of the freshman will take over so he won’t have to fail at being the man on this team.

35. jp
    12:17 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

I agree on Miller too. He’s just scared. I don’t know how you can have his type of mindset as an athlete. There’s no fire inside. There’s no desire to take over. What’s wrong with him? It’s like he doesn’t have the desire to play at the next level either. How do you make the guy mad? How do you get him to play? What motivates that guy? He is a mystery to me. Come on Darius!!! We need you man.

36. testing
    12:20 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

hello, does this thing work?

37. Operation Win-Ter
    6:51 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

Billy Donovan is surely shaking in his shoes knowing that he has to face Eloy Vargas as an opponent.

38. Zohan
    9:08 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

Anybody got Mike Morelli’s number?