We had fun with Louisville on yesterday’s radio show.  We had fun with Louisville on last night’s KSTV.  We’re probably not going to stop having fun with Louisville for a long, long time.  But finding a little amusement in the in-fighting and disinterested trainwreck that is Louisville basketball isn’t just reserved for the better half of the Bluegrass.  Nope, ESPN’s John Gasaway couldn’t pass up a good chance when the world’s most optimistic sports fan logged into Gasaway’s chat on ESPN.com and asked him a (presumably) serious question.

I can only assume that Rufus is still sending checks to the Michelle Bachmann campaign.

As far as the Cats go, Gasaway had maybe the greatest assessment of this team I’ve seen yet this season.  Fair, balanced and completely and totally accurate.

But Gasaway dialed up the seriousness a bit when he was asked by Eric Shinn – most likely a cousin of Rob Chubb – about whether Kentucky might be hindered some in their development by playing a somewhat soft SEC slate.  An interesting question considering the Cats started the conference schedule by not exactly blowing away a couple of bottom-feeders, but Gasaway elaborated (sort of) on his thoughts.

Gasaway is probably right, but I think the question Mr. Boner, I mean Eric Shinn, asked is a fair one.  Kentucky is clearly good enough to beat everyone in their conference, most very easily.  But they won’t see a lot of big-time games like teams in the ACC, Big East, Big Ten and Big Twelve.  However, what is working in UK’s advantage this season is that they play a conference schedule that’s very back-heavy and that should allow them plenty of time to play games that will challenge them mentally and phyiscally before the post-season.

That’s all  Stay safe and warm out there, my friends.  It’s getting a little scary.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

12 Comments for ESPN’s John Gasaway Likes Making Louisville Jokes Too….Also Provides UK Analysis

1. SexnNursinHomes
    2:03 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

Beis breakin’ out a post, ahhhh hell.

2. dave
    2:05 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

justified season 3 in 5 days. i’m sure know you already know this beis. better be doin work tuesdays

3. Behind Enemy Lines
    2:06 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

Scary??? Wow, you really have become one of us Louisvillians, haven’t you? Made your milk and bread run yet, Beis?

4. Thomas Beisner
    2:10 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

2, These final days seem like they last longer than the previous months. So pumped.

3, I’m terrified right now and I’m not even ashamed to say it. My wife is gone and my kids are alone with a man that might not be able to function properly in a few hours. I already salted my driveway and sidewalk and I don’t even know if I was overreacting.

5. bigredbleedsblue
    2:15 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

I’ll give you the Big East and Big Ten, but I question the talents of the Big Twelve. Plus the ACC sucks outside of UNC and Duke.

6. tc 571
    2:17 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

Big time games in the ACC? they only have three tourney teams right now. Outside of UNC and an overrated Duke what does the ACC have? I know what they have, a cakewalk to a number one seed.

7. dave
    2:40 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

6- 14-1 UVA. beat michigan & @LSU. only once has opponent scored 60; not bad. nc state has talent to be top 25-30

8. RealCatFan
    2:53 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

People seem to forget that UCLA won 10 championships without playing anybody at home or away. The schedule is very much overrated.

9. Tc571
    2:56 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

When I said three UVA was the third. State is terrible.

10. Cristoforouk
    3:04 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

8 – That is probably true. What’s more important is getting a high seed to make the path in the NCAA tournament easier.

I agree with others though. Extreme parity across the country in college basketball this year. Every conference seems about the same. SEC is not that bad. The top 5 are pretty good, probably as good as any other conference. The bottom is pretty bad though. But no conference is that great this year.

11. Uglymuffin
    3:04 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

There isn’t a single conference in which UK wouldn’t walk right over most of the competition. The ACC has 3 good teams, the Big Ten only has IU and the Michigan teams. (I don’t count Wisconsin cause let’s be honest…they suck.) the Big East has some good teams up top but also tons of garbage at the bottom. The SEC is weak but not that much weaker then everyone else.

12. STL.cat
    7:39 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

gotta say i disagree with your assessment at the end, which is basically insinuating that the SEC is the worst of the 6 major conferences (except the pac-10, but thats obvious). The Big Ten, ACC, and Big Twelve would all be pretty similar circumstances..im going to go out on a limb and say that our game AT mississippi st will be harder than at florida or at vandy…i remember what starkville was like 2 years ago and we were lucky to win then.