ESPN to produce documentary about 2008 SEC Tournament

The F2 tornado that interrupted the 2008 SEC Tournament in Atlanta will be the focus of a new documentary, as part of ESPN’s SEC “Storied” series. The series, which has already covered LoLo Jones, Herschel Walker, and “The Play That Changed College Football,” is being produced by the same content developers that did ESPN’s 30 for 30 series.

An ESPN spokesperson said the project is still filming and in early production stages, and it isn’t exactly clear what will be the focus of the documentary or when it will be completed.

ESPN expects to air it sometime during the upcoming school year.

That was a crazy weekend and it’ll be interesting to relive it through what you can expect to be a very well-produced documentary.

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for ESPN to produce documentary about 2008 SEC Tournament

1. macon_volfan
    6:17 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

they should interview me. Or better yet, show this youtube clip. The orange blob running on press row about 40 seconds in is me. That was the year of the Ab Contest. The tornado ruined all that.

2. Houston Wildcat
    6:17 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

I was there. Was absolutely crazy. Went in the dome and it was beautiful outside. Then all the sudden sounded like a freight train was inside the dome.

3. zeek
    6:18 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

Maybe it was Billy G. in the locker room.

4. macon_volfan
    6:23 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

I think something that’s not talked about enough is the fact that had that Bama/MSU game NOT gone into OT (with a last second Bama 3) there would have been a TON of people milling around outside the dome, either leaving or in the smoking area outside.

5. macon_volfan
    6:24 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

one thing is for sure, KSR was on the cutting edge of the storm coverage, getting pictures of bolts that fell into the crowd and some of the first damage shots from downtown Atlanta.

6. Gimli
    6:27 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

That weekend sucked so much. Drove all the way down there, got hit by a tornado, and had to watch us lose to UGA in a bar while getting no refunds for any of our tickets

7. Lolo Jones
    6:34 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

Who is Lolo Jones?? Went to lolojones.com but that can’t be her. What kind of name Lolo ?

8. Logan Price
    6:50 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

Macon go away. I used to not think you were a complete jerk and doucher but you are. You troll hard and I give you credit for that, but I just don’t like you. Your day won’t be ruined by my statement, but I feel better getting it off my chest.

9. Jim
    6:53 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

My son and I were there and the funniest thing I remember was how after the tornado hit they continued to post on the scoreboard and over the speakers that the welfare of the fans were the most important thing to the SEC/Georgia Dome and that staying in the Georgia Dome was the best, and safest place to be….then all of a sudden they said you have 10 minutes to vacate the building…lol. Reminded me of Martin’s famous line on his show…”Get ta steppin”!

10. macon_volfan
    7:07 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

#8-?

11. Walsh is Gay
    7:07 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

I was in the Dome when the tornado hit – it was a little bit loud but really other than the small tear in the ceiling(which got HUGELY played up on TV apparently) and the scoreboard crane arm dipping a bit, it was overblown.

That’s inside the Dome. Outside, on the other hand.. reminds me of a Walking Dead episode, but with SEC basketball fans instead of zombies.

12. Frank
    7:08 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

Im one of the guys in that photo and I can tell you it was one of the scariest things to happen to me.

13. macon_volfan
    7:10 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

I just now noticed it, but long ago poster and UT fan Payne (in the orange shirt pointing up), and former KSR writer Mosley (next to him with a UK hoodie) are in that picture!!

14. macon_volfan
    7:20 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

and #8-if you’re who I think you are, then your fiancé went to Transy too, so that means she’s smart. So she wouldn’t have picked you if you are all that bad. Not done anything on here ‘jerkish’ or ‘doucherish.’ Glad you feel better, but, I’m confused by your comment.

15. Dan
    7:30 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

Is it about the incredible weather or the shock that the cats didn’t win the tourney

16. Logan Price
    10:35 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

Macon- I attacked the wrong guy. Haha. My fault. And you’re correct, I am who you think I am. I take back the things I said. Obviously I have the wrong poster. My fault.

17. Logan Price
    10:48 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

And Macon I am kinda freaked out right now. Did you go to school with her?

18. your mom
    11:00 pm July 25, 2012 Permalink

One of the things i remember is as Bama/MSU was playing the roof was rumbling and the only thing my grandpa says is “why the hell they stop playing, theres still time on the clock”. Then i told him to look up and he said “it ain’t raining in here”. Got to be one of the craziest things I’ve ever experienced. For a short moment with the rumbling I thought it was a terrorist attack but when the roof flipped up I knew it was a tornado. Then people got all jammed in the bathrooms to watch the TVs because they told us we were in the safest place to be, then shortly after kicked us out like cheap hookers!!

19. Big Blue Coming at You
    12:13 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Regardless of how bad the program was that year, that incident ruined UK’s chances of winning the SEC tournament.