ESPN talks UK bowl chances

Kentucky was a topic of discussion on ESPN’s SEC Blog this afternoon, as they talked about UK’s chances of getting back to a bowl game and some of the new playmakers for the Cats this year. First, Edward Aschoff manages to dodge the question of whether Joker can get the Cats to a bowl game in 2012:

Jimmy in Pikeville, Ky., writes: Do you believe that Joker Phillips will be able to get the Kentucky Wildcats back to a bowl game this season?

Edward Aschoff: Phillips thinks he’s found more offensive playmakers this spring, with youngsters such as Demarco Robinson, Daryl Collins and Ronnie Shields stepping up, and that’s huge for the Wildcats. They didn’t have many at all last year and that was a main reason Kentucky’s offense was so bad. But we still need to see what those players can do against SEC competition in October. And a consistent quarterback has to step up. Maxwell Smith has the lead, but the race isn’t over. The schedule is going to be tough for the Wildcats, as well. I think Kentucky needs to sweep nonconference play to ensure a bowl birth. That means beating Louisville to start the season. The Louisville loss was a big one for the Cats last year and right now, Louisville is still a better team. Getting those four nonconference wins will go a long way for Kentucky.

That’s basically a nice way of saying ‘probably not’ while still making it seem like he thinks it could happen. Whatever they think of Kentucky’s bowl chances, though, they did take the time to talk about the offensive playmakers that need to step up for UK:

Article written by Hunter Campbell

Baha ha ha!

5. Karl Dean
    9:46 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Go Cayats!

6. Patches
    9:47 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Joker is about as useful as a poopy flavored lolipop.

7. Big O
    10:03 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Two chances- slim and none!

8. Realist
    10:05 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

I put the chances somewhere between Eloy Vargas going as the #1 pick in the upcoming draft over Davis and Thameltoe writing a favorable article on UK basketball.

9. unrelated
    10:13 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

totally unrelated, but is anyone watching the clippers vs grizzlies game? bledsoe is playing some quality minutes off the bench.

10. JPhelps
    10:16 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Hunter, what part of “I think Kentucky needs to sweep nonconference play to ensure a bowl birth.” is dodging the question. I think that’s exactly what has to happen. And he’s saying, if they do, then they probably will.

11. Realist
    10:17 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Yes, watching that game and Bledsoe is impressing me. Playing much better as a pro than I expected. Also, I think that was the weakest technical I’ve seen called since Davis was T’d up for “hanging on the rim”

12. UK Homer
    10:38 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

This all reminds me of Coach Brooks when he was on the hot seat. Simply said, the 6 wins are there folks. I’m tired of hearing how last year’s team was so much worse than any of the 2006-10 teams. We need to stop acting like there’s a ton of differences in the pedigrees of 5 and 7 win teams. If you were pleased with 2006-10, then you should still be optimistic now. At least reserve your judgment until you see the team play. If we win 3 games, then get mad.

More than basketball, football seasons are defined by single games – not bowls unless you seriously defy expectations. In 2007, I remember U of L and LSU – not the FSU bowl game. In 2008, I remember the routing of U of L at Papa Johns. I hope this season is like 2006 when I remember UGA + the bowl against Clemson.

Let’s win those 3 “cupcake” games. Let’s get it done with 3 wins in SEC/Louisville play. Let’s be part of the solution Cats fans!

13. Coach Brooks
    10:56 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Hell, I miss coaching.

Joker needs me.

Yet, O’….I adoregon!

14. NotInsertNameHere
    11:07 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

I would bet my savings account that the football team does not make a bowl game this year.

15. big tim
    12:23 am May 12, 2012 Permalink

nice way of saying it wont happen is a dumb comment cause you dont have guaranteed wins in the sec like they would any other conference. there game they have a better chances at winning certain teams then others but there no way of saying they will win or lose just like you cant tell many how many games vandy, Mississippi state, Tennessee or Missouri will win either

16. SadBlue
    12:49 am May 12, 2012 Permalink

uk is bball
    all else is vanity
    uk is the number one psychology dept in USA: who cares

17. Fall '06 PCP
    1:01 am May 12, 2012 Permalink

Thought that was a pretty thorough and fair analysis. Doesn’t seem like we’re as good as U of L at this point, but the bright spots on offense have me at least hopeful. I definitely was an ardent Joker defender last year, but I definitely think this has got to be his make-or-break year.
    Go big blue!

18. UK FAN
    1:32 am May 12, 2012 Permalink

OHHHHH NOOOOOOO We suck again

19. Wildcatsteeler
    4:53 am May 12, 2012 Permalink

No way at all. We’re basically starting from scratch again with a sub-par coaching staff. Handing the reins to Joker is gonna set us back 4 years. This failed season, possibly 1 more if they stick with him, then 2 more for the new coach to recruit anyone. So really 5 if you count last season.

20. Jim
    9:14 am May 12, 2012 Permalink

Wake me up after Joker is fired. Then I will get excited about UK football again. Barnhart continues to let the football program to slide backwards.

21. just saying
    9:17 am May 12, 2012 Permalink

fair question: so if Louisville blows UK out in the first game, does Joker get to finish the season? Basically because if UL blows out UK (very possible) then UKs home attendance will likely be the lowest since the stadium expansion. What will Barnhardt do?

22. Blanks
    9:20 am May 12, 2012 Permalink

UK just has no real commitment to football, and that’s kind of tragic. We’re in the SEC, yet we hand the reigns to our football program over to an assistant with zero head-coaching experience. And after this little experiment proved to be a failure, we say, “Well, he beat one of the worst Tennessee teams in history and managed to lose to a Big East team in a bowl…good enough!” Pathetic.

Joker is not the answer. Never has been. Hiring him was not the move of a legitimate BCS program. That’s a MAC/CUSA move. We need to at least make an effort to join the ranks of the elite multi-sport programs like Ohio State, Florida, and Texas, and offer some extra $$$ to nab a decent coach with at least some observable upside.