ESPN sees you, Mark Stoops

Kentucky football has the number one 2014 recruiting class right now, and the national media is starting to take notice. Check out this video from ESPN Recruiting Nation about Kentucky’s unbelievable rise, which is due in part to the staff’s connections in Ohio. Also helpful? Drew Barker. But you already knew that.

The video also features an interview with Mike Edwards, who credits his commitment to Vince Marrow and Mark Stoops. Edwards says the staff told him he can play early and he feels like Kentucky is a “great fit.” The chance to play in the SEC was also a big factor that led him to choose the Cats over Big Ten teams like Ohio State.

Stoops Happens.

23 Comments for ESPN sees you, Mark Stoops

1. Mr Obvious
    10:38 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

STOOOOOOOOOPS!!!

2. ESPN
    10:38 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

The #11 class?

3. Edwards
    10:40 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

Notice that the word “win” never appeared in the interview.

4. AJBUK
    10:46 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

@ #2 ESPN – He must have been seeing double when they told him he would be reporting on UK football recruiting success….

5. KCCO
    10:49 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

I’m excited about UK football/recruiting I really am. But two things to remember: 1) We are a long way away fron national signing day and the SEC is ruthless, they don’t care if a player is committed or not they will keep going after them. 2) UK is being rewarded more for the number of commits right now than anything else, their star rating is not nearly as impressive as the others in the top 10, and the 5 stars are really going to change the rankings a lot.

6. Matt in Franklin
    10:57 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

Holy cow, just watched 2 minutes of Demetrious Davis film…I’m calling it right now, this kid looks like a faster Randall Cobb….STOOOOPS!!!!

7. Aaron C Bunch
    10:57 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

Remember ESPN class rankings will differ from the RIVALS service, which is what has had us ranked an unbelievable #1, or #2. Guys get ready for something special from our Football program, officially starting in 2014. I follow Matt’s philosophy that this year is a “free year”. But to a certain extent I still expect a lot from Stoops, sure he didn’t recruit almost all the product he’s putting on the floor this year, let us not forget that it was – at the time – the highest ranked class in UK FB history. We now also have the offensive GENIUS from Texas Tech (500 yds game avg) I expect marked improvement. 6-6!!!

8. Aaron C Bunch
    10:59 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

Product on *THE FIELD, excuse me. This caring about Football with the same passion as Basketball is awesome lol

9. Melvin
    11:02 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

The “sees you” meme is getting old.

10. Chaz
    11:17 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

Good to see UK get the recognition. Also entertaining, loved the line “Ky is closer to OH than many people might think.” Takes me back to yet another beauty pageant : many US Americans don’t have maps, such as.. such as.. a-dub. Matt needs to loan his Atlas to some of these recruits.

11. Coach
    12:05 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

5.) shut up. Really. We know we aren’t going to finish number one but that is beside the point. Our recruiting right is at a place we have never seen. So shut up and enjoy it. We are going to have the best class we’ve ever had regardless if its top ten or not.

12. Jason
    12:16 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Sounds good to me. Any national exposure we get (which has honestly been a lot, considering we’ve been the early talk of the recruiting world, Rivals, 247 and ESPN have all done multiple articles and spotlights on us) is big. Have to start somewhere. A top-15 class and a lot of TV exposure on Stoops and Marrow is awesome. We can’t build the brand as a legacy team in terms of talent and winning, so we have to build it by being fresh and new. They’re doing that.

13. 11
    12:22 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Or I won’t shut up. Considering I said nothing bad that wouldn’t make sense to shut up. What Stoops is doing is INCREDIBLE, but, I’m trying to put it into perspective for people who think we are all of a sudden going to compete for a national title within a couple years just because of a good recruiting class. You mad, bro?

14. Stoops
    12:22 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!

Man I love our coach. I hope that he stays at KY for the next 20 years and builds his own legacy/dynasty!

15. BBN.
    12:34 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

We will have a top 10 class when its all said n done.

16. bluey
    12:35 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

5 = Another Skeert obsessed UL troll.

17. Montez
    12:38 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Lets face it, Big Blue Nation hasn’t got so much attention since the Tim Couch days. Personally I’m excited, I’m a True Blue Fan from birth, and I’m for them when they are 1-14, so if we have any type of success, I will be right there believing in the staff and players!

18. Coach
    12:39 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

11 you say perspective I say negativity. Just enjoy it and quit trying to rain on everyone’s parade. Don’t be that guy.

19. Big Whoop
    1:13 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

After watching and listening to the video, I’ve been wondering who Stewps and Merrill are.

Stoops! Gittin’ it done!

20. Scuba Steve
    2:58 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Good to see we’re getting some well-spoken athletes.

21. Aaron C Bunch
    3:30 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I really wish Matt and Ryan would dig a little into what Neal, Mark and the staff are gonna be capable of doing with the product Joker already had. Didn’t we have like the 29th best class? And wasn’t that at the time the best in UK history, and wasn’t it ALSO better than this Teddy Bridgwater UL class, ya know, the UF destroying juggernaut that their fans won’t shut up about?? I think we are gonna be able, (and should expect) to a certain extent to see some serious traction, THIS YEAR. I mean we have in my opinion one of the greatest offensive minds currently in the game. Look up the Texas Tech offense stats last year, I believe #2 in Red Zone efficiency, either #1 or #2 in yds per game they averaged over 500! I know we lack at receiver, but we have great QB depth. I trust in these guys to make it work, we have the talent and the resurgent fan base/motivation/attendance etc. Someone tell me why we can’t win at leats SIX GAMES THIS YEAR??? GO CATS GO STOOPS

22. paul
    9:39 am June 20, 2013 Permalink

@ #5. 5* recruits will not change things as much as you think. Considering 6 of the 18 4* have already committed once the remaining 12 sign its safe to assume they won’t be spread out that much. Multiple 5* will sign with the same teams which will really just separate the top 3-5 teams from the rest of the top ten. Plus a lot of people are predicting Barker and Elam to possibly be 5* when its all said and done next year. I think as long as we dont lose a lot of commits right now we finish in the bottom half of the top 10.

23. paul