ESPN releases their final 2013 rankings

Screen shot 2013-05-01 at 11.12.04 AM

The Worldwide Leader took a break from talking about Tim Tebow to update their 2013 recruiting rankings for the final time, and several Cats are at the top.

Right now, Kentucky has signed:

#3 Julius Randle (#1 PF)
#5 Andrew Harrison (#1 PG)
#7 Dakari Johnson (#2 C)
#8 James Young (#3 SF)
#9 Aaron Harrison (#1 SG)
#25 Marcus Lee (#9 PF)
Derek Willis (#40 PF)
Dominique Hawkins (#55 PG)

That’s, of course, without Andrew Wiggins, whom they rate the #1 prospect and the #1 SF.

Ain’t it a beaut?

48 Comments for ESPN releases their final 2013 rankings

1. afasf
    12:47 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

We now have the Number one player at only 3 of 5 positions.

2. conspiracy theorist
    12:51 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me or does anyone else think espn would put Johnson as the #2 center just to piss off uk fans …..they have the same rating and Johnson’s been ahead for 2 years. #ratings

3. catsfan32
    12:54 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Don’t understand the Embid move at all. Dakari is better at everything except quickness and athleticism and its not like Embid impressed in the all star games. I don’t know. This is why I follow scout

4. craynes
    12:54 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

1-Actually if you look at their “grade” its kinda like Dakari and that other guy are tied for the #1 center. So that means we kinda have the #1 PF, PG, SG, and C…then again this would also mean we have the overall #2(tie), #2(tie), #3(tie), #4(tie), and #4(tie).

5. Correct
    12:56 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Add Johnson to the list of signed recruits. That makes 6/10

6. Huh
    12:58 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

^

7. killa
    12:58 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Wait, what’s this about Tebow?

8. Roland
    1:00 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Step out of the box, Mrs. TT. Do some football.
    yes you will get some hate but not as much as a tattoo post.

9. afasf
    1:02 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

In my opinion, Johnson is still a better player due to his offense. And his defense and overall strength and frame make him tough to score on. Its just Embid is a better defender due too his length and athleticism. Embid probably has more potential, but as of now Johnson is the better player.

10. btowncatfan
    1:04 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

We had to settle for the 3rd best player. Cal better step up his game. (Sarcasm intended)

11. JuliusRandle
    1:06 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

It’s hard not to laugh at Jabari being ranked ahead of me. He’s darn good…but I think I edge him out.

12. NineWillBeFine
    1:07 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins is no fool, he surely knows that if he doesn’t hop aboard the big blue train he will get run over by it on our way to the title. All aboard!

13. I Say
    1:09 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

I can not stand espn’s rankings. Rivals is the best place to go. After espn had John Wall ranked as the 5th best player and Avery Bradley at #1 I knew to never trust them again.

14. Jay
    1:09 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t Dakari recently measured at 7’0?

15. Matt Jones
    1:09 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

#8 do me a favor and stop with the every post critiques of the writers and their choices. It gets old.

16. Roland
    1:12 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

15, If you are REALLY matt jones, you have my email.

You hiding behind your puter Never gets old.

17. No way
    1:15 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Willis at 40 and Hawkins at 55? That’s only cause they signed with uk…..especially Hawkins. He couldn’t be on anyone’s radar til the in state guilt got the best of Cal.
    Go Cats!

18. Matt
    1:17 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

17. That’s just their position rankings, not overall. That’s why it says #40 PF and #55 PG.

19. Mike
    1:21 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Apparently Marcus lee is a 4* according to espn.. I don’t buy that.

20. blueblue
    1:22 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Going to be even more of a beaut WHEN we get Wiggins on board.

21. UKBlue1!
    1:23 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Go Cats! #9 could be on it’s way.

22. Spenser
    1:23 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

19) Marcus may be REALLY raw on the offensive end, but I think he deserves better than a 4* rating. Then again, he’s my favorite player out of this incoming class because of his defensive mindset and the likelihood that he will stay 2 years.

23. 84Cat
    1:24 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

This is a thing of beauty no matter how you look at it. In addition to their rankings, they all seem like great kids too.

24. MJ4UK
    1:24 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

I would take Dakari Johnson over Embiid any day. ESPN got the #1 center wrong on this one

25. blueblue
    1:25 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Going to be even more of a beau as.mm t WHEN we get Wiggins on board.

26. M
    1:28 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

I loved when Randle crushed Embiid in the McD’s game to return the favor for blocking him and maybe for the pick on Harrison.

27. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    1:31 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

What was Embiid’s ESPN rank before these rankings? I don’t remember him being in the top 15. That much of a jump seems ridiculous. He showed flashes in the Jordan game but nothing that warranted moving him into the top 10.

28. Mike
    1:32 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

@22 yea. I see him kinda as the next t.jones, only a better shot blocker.

29. Mack
    1:32 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

260 Was that when Randles drove to the basket and put his knee into Emb’s chest then looked for him every chance he got?

30. SeaCat
    1:35 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

How does Scout not even have Embiid listed when
    he played in the MacDpnalds game?

31. I Say
    1:37 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

27 Rivals had him in the 40 to 50 range

32. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    1:37 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

30 – Didn’t Embiid only play in Jordan Brand?

33. Spenser
    1:38 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I think Embiid is going to be a fantastic player and may end up being better than Dakari. I know we’ve just started hearing about him recently, but he loves to play defense, is athletic, and has some shooting touch. I’m not saying I’d rather have him on this year’s team, BUT if we had wound up with Embiid instead of Dakari I would not be upset. In Cal we trust.

34. M
    1:43 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

#29) I might be getting the games confused. I know Randle fouled someone hard. Now I can’t rembember who or what game. Thought it was Embiid he fouled hard. Maybe it was the Jordan classic?

35. Otis
    1:43 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Last year’s recruiting class vs this year’s recruiting class

Narlens Noel Grade 98 Julius Randle Grade 96

Alex Poythress Grade 97 Andrew Harrison Grade 96

Archie Goodwin Grade 97 Dakari Johnson Grade 95

Willie Cauley Grade 95 James Young Grade 94

Aaron Harrison Grade 94

Marcus Lee Grade 89

36. Josh
    1:53 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

@35 Espn is wrong. They also have Wiggins at 97 and Parker at 96. Much better than the 97’s last year.

37. Otis
    2:00 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Polson will be playing a lot

38. ASf345
    2:03 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Why in the world would we need Embid? We have Cauley-Stein so it makes sense that we got Dakari (Best offensive Center) rather than adding another defensive center.

39. OtisTheTroll
    2:03 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Uh, no, Polson will not be playing a lot. You’re a moron, Otis.

40. Ukeith
    2:26 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

@Otis: I noticed that as well. ESPN said that last year was a down year for recruiting and this year is much better. Then why is the top player, the player who “Has dominated high school basketball like LeBron” still a 97. There are no 98s, one 97 and only four 96s. Either ESPN is not consistent from year to year or this recruiting class (and Kentucky because they are all recruits) is going to suck.

With that being said, my guess is that ESPN is off and that Kentucky is going to dominate.

41. M
    2:30 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Still waiting for a reply from Otis on #36’s point….

42. uk3k_J
    2:33 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

I can just see the other coaches looking at all those UK’s on the list and getting sick to their stomaches.

43. Boogie
    2:35 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

ESPN has been the worst recruiting site for years now. They had John Wall at the #5 overall recruit and defensive specialist Avery Bradley at the #1 overall….please…

44. replay
    3:38 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

26 – I watched that game a couple of times and re-wound that block you mention. Embiid did not block it but rather slapped Randle directly on his face pretty [email protected] hard. What was cool was that randle did not complain or whine but rather waited. I think that is what the payback was for.

45. Teachable Mo'
    4:48 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Artificial controversy. No way in hell can you spot that much difference among these players. They aren’t Wilt Chamberlain or Kareem Abdul Jabbar. They’re mere mortals.

46. Orangello
    9:43 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Who’s Joel Embiid?!?!?

47. ukcats42301
    10:19 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

You are right Matt Jones #8 Roland’s daily whining does get old. How sad and pathetic it must be to make posting smart ass comments to women (TT) none the less the highlight of your day. Roland, get a life and quit being such a jackass.The only one I see hiding behind their computer is you! I think the best part of you ran down your daddy’s leg! What a worthless piece of chicken sh*t you are!

48. lemonjello