Skip to content

Kentucky Sports Radio

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

ESPN ranked the top 25 high school players, regardless of class


(W. Warfield/iHigh.com Photo)

The always-informed Dave Telep and his fellow recruiting guru buddies at ESPN ranked the top 25 prep stars in America, regardless of high school class. It’ll cost you to see the full list over on ESPN.com, but here are some of the names you’ll recognize:

1. Andrew Wiggins
3. Julius Randle
4. Aaron Gordon
5. Andrew Harrison
7. James Young
9. Aaron Harrison
13. Trey Lyles
15. Karl Towns Jr.
22. Dakari Johnson

So, you’re telling me one-fifth of the nation’s best talent has already committed to Kentucky and another five or so are strongly considering the Cats.  Gotcha.

Article written by Drew Franklin

I can recite every line from Forrest Gump, blindfolded. Follow me on Twitter: @DrewFranklinKSR

14 Comments for ESPN ranked the top 25 high school players, regardless of class



  1. Cokely
    3:34 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    The future looks bright for Kentucky!



  2. Roland
    3:35 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    Cal has been a “Man of His Word.”
    When he 1st came here, he stated:
    He would get the “Best of the Best”.



  3. Danny Mac
    3:38 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    Why didn’t you put Emmanuel Mudiay, the number 10 player in the world, on your list of names we’d recognize? He is usually perceived to be a UK lean, as much so as Trey Lyles, and he’s higher ranked. That sort of confuses me.



  4. What about me??
    3:46 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    8) Tyus Jones…..I thought he was pretty high on us too



  5. Not Jerry Tipton
    3:50 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    This does not bode well for Kentucky. Only 20% of top flight talents are going to be playing for the Cats, leaving 80% for the rest of the country. Simple math says 80>20, leaving a poor chance for next year’s team to make much of a splash.



  6. Lisa Coombs
    4:12 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    Let’s prey that next year is better then this year.



  7. Linda Taylor
    4:13 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    Apparently Linnae Harper, the no. 5 women’s player and one of our recruits for the women’s team is undefeated versus Jabari Parker. Here is a link to an interview with her after she was selected as a McDonald’s All American:

    http://t.co/bDBjN7Dl



  8. Roland
    4:18 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    Lisa C., that prey vs pray is intentional? right?



  9. bosshogg24
    4:19 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    This is an out dated list! New ratings #Andrew Harrison #5, James Young #6. AAron Harrison #7, Dakari Johnson #11 Look it up on ESPN!



  10. I Say
    4:21 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    #TravisHoops



  11. wow
    4:34 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    9) you need to actually read..the rankings are for top players REGARDLESS of class..the rankings u posted are for the 2013 class



  12. Bobby Knight's Shrink
    6:12 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    Yeah Boss Hogg…pay attention, there may be a quiz !



  13. kybigblue
    6:25 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    UK may not row through the SEC like many expect next year. UF has two of the top 10 recruits for 2013 and is still on Randle’s final list. Billy D. got to coach him during last summer. Young could decide to return along with the most consistent guard for UF so they could be UK’s biggest chanllege again in the SEC. Like him or not Billy D. does a great job of recruiting at a school that doesn’t always support the team like they deserve to be supported.



  14. Pioneer
    8:01 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

    13) there are way too many “ifs” for the gators. But I agree that billy d can get it done, it just takes him a few more ice cream seasons to do it. Florida being good is also good for Kentucky!