ESPN previews the Cats, says this season is for development

UK Football Fan Day
Photo by Regina Rickert for KSR

According to ESPN’s Edward Aschoff, development will be the name of the game in Mark Stoops’ first season as Kentucky’s head coach. Aschoff previewed the Cats for ESPN’s SEC blog this morning, and said that while Stoops has a huge task ahead of him, “the good news is that the defensive-minded coach will have a lot of talent and experience to work with along his defensive line.” Aschoff singles out Donte Rumph, Mister Cobble, and Bud Dupree as some of the team’s top players, but predictably, says the biggest question marks are at quarterback and wide receiver.

Also iffy? Running back:

There are mixed reviews at running back. Even with the loss of Josh Clemons for the second straight year, the Wildcats have senior Raymond Sanders and sophomore Dyshawn Mobley, who is returning from hernia surgery, to work with. Both had good springs, but with Clemons’ injury and the departure of Justin Taylor, both have to remain healthy this fall because there isn’t much depth at all.

And let’s not forget about the secondary:

Players have to step up at receiver and tight end, and the Wildcats are thin at linebacker and in the secondary. Three starters from the secondary are gone, while losing Dupree to the defensive line leaves a major hole at outside linebacker. Kentucky will get help in the secondary this fall, but that help will come in the form of 2013 signees.

However, Aschoff says that it’s not all bad; while a bowl game is a “lofty goal” (understatement of the season?), “there’s no doubt that the Wildcats will be more competitive in 2013.”

Thank God for that.

20 Comments for ESPN previews the Cats, says this season is for development

1. Rei
    12:13 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

I still feel like this year will surprise people. I know next year is the year we’re all waiting for, but 5-7 isn’t out of the question. Even a bowl game maybe? Louisville is a cupcake team imo, Mizzou, Vandy, and UT are weak games too. Add in WKU, Miami OH, and Alabama State, and we could end up 6-6 at best.

2. greginky
    12:23 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

It seems like a decent review of us. Mostly accurate, except they left out mention of Jojo Kemp and possibly Ryan Timmons at running back.

3. Nick
    12:27 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

#1 – let’s be realistic. it’s okay to say we could possibly go 5-7 because we could, but ul isn’t going to be a cupcake team. they whipped the cream out of florida last year.

4. BobKYCats
    12:39 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

Much as I hate to say it, UofL ain’t a cupcake team. I think we’ll play them close for at least a couple quarters maybe the whole game, but they’re gonna take everything we got to beat them.

5. Just Asking
    12:43 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

Could they not put Dupree back at LB and insert Hatcher at the DE?

6. Eazy E or Eric Wright it's all the same
    12:43 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

Is Jonathan George chopped liver?

7. Mc
    12:44 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

Well, if it’s 6-6 at best and you list WKU, Miami, Alabama State, Mizz, Vandy, UT, and UL as weak teams, then I’d assume 7-5 is best case during the regular season in your opinion. However, imo 4-8, or 5-7 is more realistic as opposed to beating every team that we have a shot against.

8. Huh?
    12:47 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

Last I checked we were loaded at running back. Losing Clemons was a big deal, but we have a stable of backs behind him. Confused!

9. btowncatfan
    12:47 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

UL has a cupcake schedule, but they certainly are no cupcake. Still don’t think they are a top 10 team. Also don’t forget about Jonathan George at running back. Haven’t heard his name mentioned, he has been our best runner the past 1 1/2.(Didn’t play much first half of 2011)

10. Joseph
    12:51 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

I’m getting pretty tired of people putting limits on the amount of success the UK football team can have. I think it’s just a prime example of how the culture of UK football still needs some adjustment.

11. jpgott2
    12:53 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

I do not think we have problems at TE like he is saying. Brown is actually going to implement more TE packages in the offense because of our WR woes.

1, UL is not a cupcake because of Teddy. If he has time in the pocket, our secondary is going to severely struggle. If our front 4 can get pressure on him, then UK could create some chances for turnovers.

12. jpgott2
    12:55 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

9, you are vastly wrong. UK fans are being rational when they look at the whole pie. This is going to be an interesting year, but I think most fans are showing some rationale when it comes to expectations, which I like way more than just being an unrealistic homer.

13. Duke sucks
    12:57 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

No 9 people like you are putting unrealistic goals for this team! If your think this team is going bowling your crazy. To be fair to the new coaches you have to have realistic expectations and I’m sorry to say that’s 2 or 3 wins.
    It’s going to take time after the Joker mistake. It football not basketball you can’t change things over night. With Neil Brown at least UK will be fun to watch untill Stoops gets HIS troops in place in about 3 years!

14. I Say
    1:03 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

Am I the only one who thinks that Darryl Collins is over looked? At times last year I thought he was our only offensive weapon. He seemed to be the only play maker we had. I havent heard his name at all this offseason.

15. jpgott2
    1:10 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

14, I agree about Darryl Collins. I remember during last years Florida game, he burnt his coverage for possible touchdowns on 2 different occasions, but the throw was long. He was one of the few guys I could see the potential in.

16. So what
    1:13 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

3. So what. Syracuse beat them by 3 touchdowns last year.

17. TheNewOriginal
    1:14 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

13 Duke Sucks/ No, it’s people like you that ruin UK football. The same type of people that said there is no way Kentucky could ever lure a good staff or good players. A bowl game is a reach, but a lot of strange things can happen. By the way, why are you dwelling on “Duke”? Comments and shirts like that make UK look like they have an inferiority complex.

18. chas
    1:45 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

In most years we seem to win ONE that we are not supposed to and loose ONE that we are not supposed to.
    Games that we are supposed to win: WKU,ASU,and Miami. Game that we could loose that we are supposed to win: WKU. Games that we might win that we shouldn’t. UL, MSU, TENN. Think we end up at 4-8 somehow. As we have NO depth injuries will play a big part coming down the stretch,

19. I. Melvin
    2:12 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

Call me crazy, but I still think this team is 5-6 heading into the UT game. At that point …

20. UKkathy
    4:07 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

Regarding UL’s schedule, will someone correct me when I say/heard that the only bowl-eligible team they play this year is UK? And yeah, they whipped Florida’s butt in the bowl game but it was evident that Florida did not want to be in that game and took it lightly, which was stupid. It would be so fantastic to beat those guys in a much needed rebuilding (from the ground up) year(s). I think “tops” we will win 4 games. Hey, I’d love it to be 12; but I need to get a grip. And I will be very proud of the wins, no matter how many. I do hope the BBN will be very patient with Stoops et al. I truly believe for the FIRST TIME in years they will be will competitive in the SEC given a couple of years for Stoops to get all his players on board. I am very excited for the football season. GO CATS!