ESPN Issues a Statement on the Decision to Put Bob Knight on SEC Games

bobby knight

After calling and asking for an explanation as to the decision to put Knight on SEC games, today ESPN sent KSR this statement:

We had an opening to pair an analyst with Rece Davis on our Thursday night SEC package after Hubert Davis took a position with North Carolina. Rece and Bob have formed a good partnership after working together over the years on games and in the studio. We felt this would be a good opportunity to pair them together on a regular basis. We make changes to announcer assignments across our various properties to provide a fresh perspective on our telecasts and this is one of a few we made this year.

Still no acknowledgement of the obvious Calipari/Knight issue, but it is something

Article written by Matt Jones

60 Comments for ESPN Issues a Statement on the Decision to Put Bob Knight on SEC Games

1. RYNO
    2:29 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Ah- so it’s just a coincidence that this otherwise planned and altogether ordinary move by ESPN didn’t include Knight making a trip to Lexington to call a game. #occupystegeman begins now.

2. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    2:30 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Man I feel sorry for Rece Davis, always thought he was a good guy. RIP.

3. Rockfield, KY
    2:30 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

1. I like it. #OccupyStegeman

4. Bucky Small Hooves
    2:31 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I love that Bob Knight’s sweater is brought to us in part by O’Reilly Auto Parts.

5. RYNO
    2:36 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

There will be many UK fans taking sick days to go yell and scream things at Bobby Knight the whole game after all his comments. This thing will get ugly. Things will be thrown. Dumb move by ESPN. I think they will eventually reconsider, but in a way I hope they don’t.

I choose to look at this as a form of punishment- like ESPN is saying, “Okay Bobby, you wanna run your mouth about Kentucky on our network? You want to ignore the #1 team in the country when we’re paying you to analyz college basketball? Well, I hope you had fun because now you’re gonna face the music.” It might be a play to see if he’ll resign before he has to call the game.

6. stuckatwork
    2:37 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Looks like I’ll be listening to a couple of games on the radio this season…

7. Devastation Inc
    2:42 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

5- i think you are on to something. He surely take heat all game long no matter where we play. I’m sure the mic will pic it all up too.

8. RYNO
    2:42 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

What makes it even better is that UGA game is almost certain to be a blowout, so by halftime, all the UK fans won’t be half as invested in the game as they are hurling vulgarities at Bobby Knight.

9. MadCatter
    2:44 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

5) Could be…either way, ESPN knows it’s a ratings goldmine.

10. Bart Edwards
    2:44 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I think on principle and just for sh*ts and giggles we should take it upon ourselves as a challenge to get the bastard removed from UK broadcasts. That’s the case even if he were to issue a full and complete apology to the 2010 team. We can’t make him like the one and done protocol, and it is fair for him to oppose it, but it is not fair for him to lie about those boys and Cal. Plus that damned midwest accent annoys me.

11. poisengas
    2:45 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I feel like I am listening to a heart surgeon discuss a procedure when Knight is talking. He is about as much fun as a kick in the balls.

12. bec
    2:47 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

UK Radio Network is my new best friend.

13. Bart Edwards
    2:47 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I’m almost ashamed to admit it, but if I go to the game, I will be yelling mean spirited things at the man, trying to “accidentally” spill stuff on him and his table, trying to walk in front of him during every commercial break when you know the camera will be out, chanting things about him sucking, etc.
    And I feel justified.

14. RYNO
    2:49 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

9) Yeah, but is it worth all the grief leading up to the game just to get another half-million viewers? Kentucky’s already a ratings gold mine without the help of Bobby Knight.

15. RYNO
    2:51 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

13) lol..That will be hilarious (chants). I didn’t think of that. I wonder if ESPN has ever aired vulgar chants about one of their college analysts during a game before? UK fans will come up with some good ones for sure.

16. JIM HANNA
    2:52 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I can1t stand Knight, his commetary should be on radio or for the blind. He wants to forcast rather than broadcast and he is wrong 95% of the time. I turn the sound off and will continue to and use the radio broadcast.

17. Big Blue B-Rad
    2:56 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

11) He sounds like he is giving deep thought into everything he says. Kind of like Jon Gruden. But unlike Gruden, Knight has no idea what he’s talking about anymore.

18. Brad in Portland
    2:57 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Bobby Knight’s analysis is just like Fox News, fair and balanced.

19. Dr Evil
    3:04 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

One can only hope he dies before then. UK should spend the money it’s not spending on football recruiting to buy his rings and medals to affix in the urinals at Rupp.

20. matty arbuckle
    3:05 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I guess Big Bobby just can’t stand a man who can win rings and then not turn around and sell them at auction.

21. stevie
    3:05 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Bobby Knight is just like the liberal turds at ABC, CBS, And NBC. We always get an unfair and one-sided view of the world. I can actually say that those who regularly watch these news channels have a psii poor view of the world.

22. MadCatter
    3:08 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

14) That may be what ESPN is gambling on….obviously, they’re not aware of the #KentuckyEffect.

23. Greg
    3:11 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Best thing would be to ignore him and get one of these:

I did and love listening to Tom and Mike.

24. Kaboom
    3:14 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I hate Bob Knight as much as anybody but could it be ESPN is setting us up to look stupid. Maybe they think us degrading and hounding Knight on national TV would look negative on our program. I would love to be there yelling at him as much as anyone else but just thought I would offer that opinion.

25. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    3:18 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Still no acknowledgement that he plain sucks at being a commentator?

26. Tebkats
    3:30 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I have already emailed my complaint to ESPN on choosing Knight to be the commentator on UK games. I also mentioned that he happened to be the worst analyst in college basketball.

27. Walden Schmidt
    3:32 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Crusty Old Fart

28. JCPostel
    3:48 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

How many games did Bob Knight win when he coached for O’Reilly Auto Parts?

29. Mr Obvious
    3:50 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

#21…you bore me…as if Fox News isn’t unfair and one-sided…keep wearing those blinders, Mr. Ed.

30. Cardz
    3:53 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Stay classy, BBN.

31. RYNO
    4:06 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

30) No matter what happens, I think it’s safe to say it will be handled with more class than 15 seconds on top of a table at Porcini’s.

32. Uk4life
    4:07 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

What’s ESPN’s email address so I can offer my complaint?

33. tabb
    4:07 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Stegeman is an cool ol’ gym and Athens is an easy drive from Lex. Seems doable.

34. Big Blue B-Rad
    4:10 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

There was awhile when I couldn’t decide who was more annoying as a commentator: Bob Knight or Steve Lavin.

35. Big Blue B-Rad
    4:11 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

29) Amen. It cracks me up when Fox News Viewers whine about the media being one-sided. If that’s not an example of the pot calling the kettle black, nothing is.

36. RYNO
    4:11 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

27) And that’s chant #1 CRUST-EE OLD FART clap, clap, clapclapclap. CRUST-EE OLD FART!

37. RYNO
    4:18 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

What’s the over/under on how long it takes Bobby Knight to completely lose it on the air as Kentucky fans pound him with insults throughout the night? I’m setting the line at 1 hour after tip-off.

38. Jim Harris
    4:20 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I actually agree with Knight and many many others (including Cal) in my personal dislike of the oneanddone. But that may be the only thing on God’s green earth that I do agree with Knight. He is a bully in every respect and will use anything that comes to mind in trying to enforce his opinions on the whole world…..BUT he is savvy enough to know who he can’t push around in most cases so he has some like Dickie V who call him friend. Bobby would have faired well in North America about 10,000 years ago IMO.

39. Jim Harris
    4:22 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

If I got it correctly, Knight won’t be doing any UK home games so the fans attacks won’t be all that bad IMO.

40. RYNO
    4:27 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

39) Athens is only 100 miles from Cat-Lanta. It will be bad. It will probably be a sellout thanks to all the Kentucky fans who show up. Considering how many people he’s offended by his slander campaign against Calipari and UK players, it’s almost like ESPN is saying, “Here he is UK fans. Here’s your shot. Do your worst. We’ll get it on tape.”

41. papasnapp
    4:32 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

So, everyone’s headed to Athens with their terribly taunting tunes? Yep, sounds like a plan. The BBN travels to Athens just to taunt the old dude. Jeez, folks, get a life! He’ll forget where he is soon enough and wander off somewhere. Just leave it be. Peace.

42. RYNO
    4:32 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

24) That might be the plan, but you gotta think with Knight’s history, the chances of him getting upset and either walking out or going berserk on the crowd while on the air is much higher than UK looking bad for fans shouting at him.

43. RYNO
    4:43 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

41) Stay home and smoke your peace pipe then papasnapp. Defending Bobby Knight on KSR is about as dumb as telling BBN to, “get a life!” Take off those candy striped pants and get with the program!

44. Beavis
    4:53 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

You liberals think we should all watch MSNBC and CNN ? There has to be some balance. Take the killing of our ambassador in Libya. The left wing media dropped right into lock step behind the Obama admin and called it a “spontaneous” action. Funny how 99 % of the people on the planet knew it was not. As much as you don’t like Fox News,,,the do provide balance to the reporting. Now for Bob Knight,,,would not give him the satisfaction of knowing he created a stir in BBN. I will simply refuse to watch ESPN. Listen to it on the radio,,,,give me a little balance.

45. Big Blue B-Rad
    5:11 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

44) Beavis, you truly are a butthead. Saying Fox News is Fair and Balanced on ANYTHING would be like saying Lifetime is television for all genders, or like saying ESPN is unbiased towards Kentucky. Get a grip pal.

46. Head Bussa
    5:12 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

41 — I tend to agree. Leave the guy alone and be the bigger person. I hate Bobby Knight as much as anyone, but there’s no reason for the good people in our fanbase to stoop down to his level. Just let it be.

47. papasnapp
    5:13 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

RYNO, not defending the old dude at all. I just see no sense of making an ass of the BBN just to fling a few barbs at Knight. However, will probably be taking your advise about staying home, watching the turmoil unfold on the tube and toot a tad. I don’t wrangle on these sites, so enjoy the season and hopefully bring home #9. Momma still likes me in the candy stripes, so I’m keep those for our special days…

48. Steve Alford
    5:19 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t know my old coach was still relevant.

49. rock hudnall
    5:26 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Coaches are not awarded gold medals in the Olmpics.

50. Bordercollie
    5:31 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

19 has a great idea!

51. Wildcatfan52
    6:47 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I love how the liberals take every opportunity to bash Fox News. This is a damn UK sports site not an Obama cheer site. And I do agree that Fox is biased toward, conservatives. They stand by theirselves against all the other networks and papers that are in the tank for liberals.

52. Dutch
    7:06 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

To hell with Knight! I’ll turn the tv down and listen to the radio!

53. raging_Czar
    7:25 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I think he should have to apologize to Davis and the rest of the team! He clearly left Davis out of the Player of the Year subject when asked! Davis showed him, and the rest of the Cats! GO BIG BLUE!!!!

54. raging_Czar
    7:27 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Kyle Macy is the best analyst for UK basketball as far as i’m concerned!

55. katzrjamers
    7:30 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I’m waiting to see what BK puts up for auction. I know where “the chair”of Feb. 23, 1985 is
    and it’s not in BK’s attic.

56. Iucansukabigblue.....
    7:50 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

What a freaking clown.. This fool is selling the most prized possession a coach can have. All because his grand children need tuition? No, its because it has iu on them. Funny thing is, they are too dumb to even know.. HOosiers.

57. Uk56always
    9:23 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

How can Bobby Knight even call a Big Blue game? What’s he gonna say? That state below Indiana in the SEC. He won’t even mention their name now.What a Doofas!

58. Beavis
    9:53 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

# 45 You are great at making up your own facts,,,however wrong they are. Where did I say Fox News was fair and balanced ? I said if the liberal left can spout their nonsense,,, Fox will present their view from the right. Just for balance. Disagree if you like,,,I could not care less.

59. UK56always
    10:01 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

#55 where is “The Chair”?

60. katzrjamers
    11:05 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

#59-thanks for reading. As far as I know the chair still lives. It’s in Indiana and will
    stay there. not for sale.