ESPN: Future SEC Power Rankings, Kentucky #13

Jalen Whitlow, Archibald Barnes

Over the past number of weeks, the people over at ESPN have been thoroughly examining all of the programs in college football and ranking them in terms of future strength. This week, they turned their attention to the Southeastern Conference. This type of analysis is difficult to quantify, but the people at ESPN have figured out a formula. To come up with the rankings, they considered coaching, current players, depth, recruiting, and the current state of the program. In the text below, they explain why Mark Stoops and the Cats come in at 13th.

13. Kentucky: Mark Stoops has one of the country’s best recruiting classes, which bodes well for the future of this program. But can this staff develop this talent once it arrives? That’s yet to be seen, as Stoops hasn’t even coached a game at his new school. The good news is that the Wildcats will be built on a more defensive foundation. We know how important that is, but Kentucky is behind most of its conference counterparts when it comes to immediate talent as a whole.

The entire set of rankings, which see Nick Saban’s Alabama Crimson Tide atop the list, can be found by following this link.

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

13 Comments for ESPN: Future SEC Power Rankings, Kentucky #13

1. Jay Kuzman-Reily
    7:23 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

Missouri has more talent than Kentucky this year. They should win by two or three touchdowns. After that the games will be much closer

2. G
    7:27 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate
    #1 recruiting class and ESPN still doesnt take notice. There is no reason why they cant be up there with Ole Miss and the big dogs

3. J A Brooks
    7:43 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

Yeah the guys got a point, I don’t think Stoops has any experience developing young players into top notch pro prospects… (roll my eyes)

4. J A Brooks
    7:45 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky goes 5-7 this year, 5-8 at worse, but they’ll have a regular season record of 7-5 in 2014 and 8-5 after their bowl win.

Call me crazy, just don’t call me lazy

5. darren
    7:46 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=ukfan2828 earn points to get free stuff off of amazon if u don’t believe just check my account i’ve earned 68 dollars

6. J A Brooks
    7:48 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

that should read 4-8 at worse. We win our 3 non louisville OOC games and steal at least 1 SEC game but I think we could definitely get 2 from the the Tennessee, Vandy, Missouri, Mississippi State group.. may not happen but I don’t see us going 0-8 again. We’ll catch somebody by surprise or catch a break here and there at the very least.

7. CatsFan4Life
    7:55 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

13 this year
    8 next year
    4 or better the following year.
    I believe!!!

8. CATS
    8:33 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

1- thats because UK is not #1 in their rankings. ESPN only has UK in the 10-15 range. This site only talks about the sites that rate us highest thugh, so thats probably why youd thnk that

9. Balls of Blue
    8:46 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

I’m not upset by this. We definitely have a good recruiting class, but Stoops also hasn’t coached a game. Let’s not let this bother us before we get a chance to prove ourselves. Give Stoops a year and then let’s see where they put us on this list.

10. fan fan
    8:55 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

This current team is way better than most people know. Team better not overlook because this id going to be a explosive team and great yr.

11. Cool daddy
    9:05 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

This was not really worthy of a post. What was the point or insight from this?

12. joecrawfordsfoot
    9:10 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

I honestly thing this team can go 6-6. All our non conference games are winnable. Plus I like our chances with Missouri and Tennessee at home. Plus at vandy and at Mississippi state are not out of the question either. I’m trying to be as positive as possible and maybe I’m being to generous here but I believe a 6-6 record and bowl birth are very possible

13. joecrawfordsfoot