ESPN Films to air documentary on Georgia Dome SEC Tournament Tornado

Do you remember where you were on March 14, 2008? I was in a bar in Nashville watching Alabama play Mississippi State in the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament when a tornado hit the Georgia Dome. I don’t think anyone at the game or watching on TV will forget the small section of the roof coming off and the giant scoreboard swaying slowly back and forth over the floor. While no one in the Dome was injured, the quarterfinal game was postponed and Tournament officials had to move the tournament to Georgia Tech.

ESPN Films has put together a documentary chronicling the dramatic events for their SEC “Storied” series, entitled “Miracle 3.” It will premiere Sunday, March 3rd at 8 p.m. ET on ESPNU. Enjoy a sneak peek of it above and feel free to share your memories of that day in the comments section.

35 Comments for ESPN Films to air documentary on Georgia Dome SEC Tournament Tornado

1. NotFirst
    3:51 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I’ll go ahead and finish that line for you…

…a new venue which turned out to be Alexander Memorial Coliseum on the Campus of Georgia Tech (affectionately referred to by GT students as “the tit”.)

2. KSR Graduateschool
    3:52 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

had to find a new…

pair of clean pants.

3. Coach T
    3:53 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Was there. At first I thought a helicopter was landing on the top of the dome. Then when the padding blew out and small bolts started falling, things got real. A lot of people were rushing out, but we stayed up and used ourselves as human shields for the little guys the row below us from the flying debris. Was wild.. the video monitor was hanging on wires/chains and started swaying.

4. BlueWhite
    3:54 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Well lets see, I was in Atlanta, in the Dome when it happened. We had no idea what was going on at first. Then once we were finally old to leave there was crap everywhere on the streets.

5. Captian Kangeroo
    3:54 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I was there that evening and remember how pissed off I was that the KY game was postponed and I wasn’t allowed to see them play at Georgia Tech (which we lost). As for the tornado, I remember looking at the top of the dome being whipped around like someone snapping the sheet over a bed. I thought the thing was coming down.

6. Honky Kong
    3:54 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Must be a slow sports news day…..

7. Jenny
    3:56 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Is it focusing on the fact that the game went to overtime, thus keeping people in the building and out of the elements outside? For this series of films, it seems like kind of a “meh” topic. Not denying it was crazy and scary, but it ended up just being terribly inconvenient more than anything.

8. Ryan
    4:05 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I still want my $60 I spent on a ticket for that game I had to watch on TV.

9. the brown eye
    4:09 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

i was there too. sounded like a train landed on the dome. My memory…walked backed to my friends car. Rear window blown out…power line draped over it. We were not sure whether to touch power line or not until drunk Bama stumbled right into it. and didnt get crisped up. Problem solved. threw the line off and drove off.

Also, back in 2008, very few people (including me) had unlimited texts. that sucked about 3 weeks later when bill came but not as much as Clyde getting undressed by that mustache coach of UGa the next day. Felt bad for Crawford and Bradley

10. Laker Cat 18
    4:11 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I’m a little slow. Why is this called Miracle 3?

11. Kenny H
    4:11 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I was sitting behind the basket and I told my wife that I had never heard the MARTA in the dome before. This young Alabama couple was sitting in front of us and took off running up the aisle. When the ushers made them return to their seats, I told them that the difference between UK fans and Alabama fans is they run for the door and we head to the floor for better seats.

12. Josh
    4:12 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I may be wrong, but if UK was playing in the next game, wouldn’t at least 90-95% of the people have been staying in the arena for the next game? I doubt there were many people there for just the Alabama-MSU game and then were going to leave before the next game. No doubt his 3 saved a few lives, but I’ve seen this doc advertised as the game going to overtime preventing “tens of thousands” of fans going into the streets as the tornado came in…

13. Fake Anthony Epps
    4:15 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Obviously, the highlight of this tragic event was Perry Stevenson shot-blocking a Georgia free throw. Yes?

14. Laker Cat 18
    4:20 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

14. This is for you. Had to look it up. Billy G was a genius.

15. wheeler bear
    4:50 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Inside the dome m first thought was terrorist attach. Then the nice people running the dome making us all leave durin a t storm but most of all I remember getting on the marta packed like sardines and looking out to see my friends being the only people left in the train station..they were pissed.

16. Drew
    5:10 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

My buddies and I went to the game on the way back from spring break. After leaving the game we headed back to our friend’s parents house about 45 min south of the city. As soon as we got there, we got word they would resume play at Georgia Tech. By God we thought, if we leave now we’ll get to GT around 4am and be in line for front row seats. Wasn’t until we got there (an after trying to hop some fences) that we learned it wasn’t open to the public. What a crazy night.

17. Cat Fan
    5:11 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I was in a hospital room with my husband, who had just had open heart surgery. Our eldest daughter was on the front row of the student section on the floor of the dome. The first indication I had that there was something wrong was a text from my daughter, “We are OK, but this place is gonna need some work.” I turned on the TV and learned about the tornado. So thankful we knew our girl was safe BEFORE we know there was a problem. She, however, was REALLY TICKED OFF to not be able to get into the remainder of the tournament.

18. Sharpiefan
    5:23 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I remember the panic and people scrambling into the ailes. i told my buddies to hang and dont get caught up in the rush to get to the concourse. We just looked at the debri falling from the ceiling. There was a huge section of the dome roof where it meets the wall ripped out. WE walked back to the hotel on glass most of the way because all public transportation had been shut down. Going outside and seeing the taxi turned on it side and the hotel windows busted out on some of the high rise buildings was surreal.

19. Carol
    5:36 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

My husband & I were there as well–waiting for the Cats to start their game once the overtime game was over..the first thing I said was “what’s that sound? It sounds like an airplane is getting too close”…then the dome roof started rippling and that’s when everyone on the floor and in the lower arena started scrambling to get out..things were swaying and stuff was falling…all they kept saying over the public address system was to stay inside and that there was a severe thunder storm. My husband went to the restroom to watch the news on the tv in there..he came back in and said it was a tornado. When the announcement was finally made that the game had been postponed and that we could finally leave the Dome–it looked like a war zone outside..just a mess/ so much destruction and it happened so fast. Something I won’t forget

20. vraxton
    5:40 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

BCG had a good quote when he said he thought the sound of the tornado was just the arrival of KY fans. I’ll check it out.

21. Rockinron
    5:40 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I was there and one of the first people in the Dome to notice a tear in the sidewall fabric and the lamp swaying. Worst part about the whole ordeal was that I paid $250/ticket for me and my son to sit behind the UK bench…..

22. Houston Wildcat
    6:00 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Was there and remember my mom calling and telling me that downtown Atlanta looked like a war zone from CNN. I brushed it off but once we got outside it def. looked like a bomb had gone off. Cars flipped upside down, trees hanging out of Ruth’s Chris. Next morning the Hooters on Peachtree was packed with UK fans. We all sat and ate and drank waiting on the game to come on. It comes down to game time and Hooters said they couldn’t get the game on. Every UK fan in the place said they would walk out if they didn’t find the game. I ended up on the phone with DirectTV after the manager said she couldn’t figure it out. Hooters bought a game plan that included the station that was able to film it. Better then loosing thousands of dollars to all of us walking out.

23. Sarah White
    6:05 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I was there as well with all of my family. Thank goodness our tickets were refunded – and, we just watched the game at the bar and made new friends. I hated we lost.

24. Andy Barger
    6:13 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Was watching at Jock n Jill’s just outside the Dome, waiting for our game to start when the insulation started raining out of the ceiling and the TVs went black. Next second, there were cars turned over outside the 10 foot tall window I was leaning against. Check out my interview of a Tennessee fan immediately following the chaos. Hilarious!

25. winston
    6:26 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I was there and almost drove into an industrial air conditioner that landed in the middle of the street. The funniest thing was texting a Vandy fan friend “A tornado has hit the dome!” She replied “yeah I get it, all the UK fans are there.” I had to send back “no a tornado has really hit the dome.”

26. psuegouk
    6:35 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I was there, and it was unreal! Once we moved from the dome to the concourse, the phones were going crazy for everyone. I could see stuff flying all over the place outside through the windows. It was crazy.

27. Usernametaken
    6:38 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Was it really that interesting in the grand sports scheme of things?

28. Winston
    6:49 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

It was if you were there. First the noise, then the confusion, then trying to get out of downtown and finally trying to find out how the SEC was going to handle it (badly, we learned). It was a wild night.

29. Rich
    8:30 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I was watching the game on TV in my trailer. All I could think was “I’m glad that tornado ain’t by my trailer.”Bet it sounded like a freight train?!

30. catlou
    8:31 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Me my 2 brothers nephew and dad went it was my dads first sec tournment we r big cat fans he wanted 2 see the cats so bad .I HEARD what i though was a train it was loud i looked back behind where we were sitting at the ceiling an saw it waving up and down like a wave of water when someone said its a tornado leave quick we did my poor dad didnt get 2 see his cats we were disappionted .

31. Pamola
    8:28 am February 22, 2013 Permalink

I was in teh Georgia Dome and I remember it well. Pretty scary!!!!!!!

32. macon_volfan
    9:53 am February 22, 2013 Permalink

The tornado will forever overshadow my victory in the ab contest with the UF and LSU cheerleaders……

33. Game day
    8:45 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

We were sitting down low waiting for UK game, sounded like everyone started stomping on metal bleachers behind us

Stuff started swaying and you could see a section of the side of the dome peeled back

I remember driving out past the big glass section and wondering how that survived

We were staying in the Westin and couldn’t get to our hotel from he dome and had to go around and back into downtown, the Westin had some random glass blown out all the way up to the high floors and you could see the curtains flapping

We all ent over to the Marriott Marquis has that was where the media was

34. Game day
    8:51 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

And we wanted to find out what was going on, ended up staying up to 4am

We ended up getting in at Tech and sat on 4th row behind Vern Lundquist and Bill Rafferty

Does anyone remember BCG hip checking the REF in the tunnel on the way out of the game, I think they caught it on camera but a big deal was not made out of it

Haven’t been back to Dome since…………