ESPN documentary on Sam Bowie airs tonight

While you’re stocking your bomb shelter for the end of the world, don’t forget to record “Going Big,” ESPN Film’s documentary on former Cat Sam Bowie, which airs tonight on ESPNU at 9 p.m. ET. The documentary chronicles Sam Bowie’s career, which was plagued by injuries in college and the NBA and overshadowed by his draft placement ahead of Michael Jordan.

In this sneak peek, Bowie previews it for his family and friends and thanks ESPN for convincing him to tell his story:

19 Comments for ESPN documentary on Sam Bowie airs tonight

1. BPsycho
    2:45 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

Booooooooooooooowwwiiiieee!

Ok maybe it doesn’t always work well..

2. Dee
    2:49 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

DVR…SET

3. Dee
    2:49 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

Bowie was the first “STAR”….I can remember….

4. That Guy
    3:04 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

Greatest bust in NBA history right here. Drafted ahead of Jordan, Barkley, Stockton. Blazers are cursed him over Jordan and 20 years later Oden over Durant.

5. Yitbos
    3:09 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

Oden is up there….that’s for sure

6. OneAndDone
    3:16 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

Jabari Parker picking school at 4 eastern

7. Marty
    3:18 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

I think Oden is the bigger bust. Bowie is magnified because of all the guys 4 mentioned being drafted after him. The difference between Bowie and Oden is Bowie had about a 10 year career and averaged double figures for his career. He wasn’t great, but at least there was some productive years. It really is sad he could never stay healthy.

8. NotOnList
    3:25 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

#6, UK is not on his list. I hope he picks BYU or Stanford…not Florida! I’m not watching since UK is not on his list.

9. Raazoul
    3:36 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

#4 You’re a moron. He’s not a “bust”. A bust is someone who isn’t as good as their draft pick. Not someone who breaks his legs. If you were to ask Hakeem, Barkley, Jordan, etc. if Bowie deserved that draft spot they’d tell you yes. He was an awesome player who had weak legs. Oden on the other hand was never proven to be that good, just projected to be. He’s a bust. Bowie’s jersey hangs in Rupps rafters for a reason…

10. DEasy
    3:43 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

Did Michael J Fox record that video?

11. FakeBowie
    3:46 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

@ #9, you tell #4!!! Great player with bad luck. No shame.

12. That Guy
    3:52 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

#9 this isn’t about a jersey in Rupp’s rafters. It’s about never living up to your draft status which makes you a bust,whether ability or injury is the reason. So you discredited your own answer with “a bust is someone who isn’t as good as their draft pick”. He didn’t live up to his draft “position”, there is no ask anyone about that fact because the stats prove it. I can list busts for days but the fact is this guy is one, because of bad legs.

13. buzzard
    4:04 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

I was a student at UK when Bowie played. There was a reason he was picked before Jordan. He was an extremely talented big man who could shoot, pass, run the floor, handle
    the ball, block shots..think of a 7 ft version of Anthony Davis. He was a great teammate and person. Bowie is one of my favorite Cats of all time. Had he stayed healthy, I think he could have been a great NBA player.

14. blueaville
    4:34 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

i wonder if his children are proud of him lying before the draft.

just kidding!…sort of

15. UKBlue1!
    4:55 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

Booooooooowiiee! Turpin and Sam the original twin towers.

16. KFC suck
    7:30 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

Before my time. How good was Bowie I can’t say I’ve ever seen any tapes of any games he played in. I’ve heard some say Melvin Turpin and him where great together on the court.

17. BIGBLUEDAVE
    9:21 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

I hope they replay it on espn or espn 2! I don’t get espnu…dammit!

18. brand
    8:22 am December 22, 2012 Permalink

Pretty good article. I just came across your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way Ill be coming back and I hope you post again soon.

19. brand
    8:23 am December 22, 2012 Permalink

It indeed does take bit to find great info. like this. Thanks a ton.