Ernie Els’s Monday News and Views

wrewe

The weekend of the British Open is always one of my favorites because it allows the rare moment for those of us on the East Coast when we can watch important sporting events as we are waking up. This year’s excitement was a bit dampened for most of the morning as it looked like not only could Tiger not win, but Adam Scott and his ridiculous putter were certain to run away with it. But then the golf Gods hit and we ended up with another choker to join the list of Ed Sneed, Jan Van de Velde, Scott Hoch and (my favorite golfer of all time) Greg Norman. Four bogies in four holes gave the tournament to Ernie Els and produced the compelling/horrifying sight of watching an athlete melt before our very eyes. I was happy to see one of the more likable players in golf, Ernie Els, win. Not only is he older, but I have always found his game and demeanor refreshing. In some ways his entire swing is almost like a philosophy on life…you dont have to swing hard to hit it far. By all indications, he is one of the nicer people on tour and he has dealt with a number of personal issues involving his son over the past year. Watching him win the Claret Jug and strike victory for people without hideously long putters was a good way to start the morning and helped propel me to my day…of watching celebrity golf, Big Brother and the infuriating “Newsroom.” I didn’t say the motivation from early sporting events would necessarily be put to good use.

To the news:

— Most everything that mattered this weekend in UK sports occurred in the realm of basketball recruiting. The Peach Jam became the go to spot in the college basketball world, with every coach that was anyone making the trip to North Augusta, South Carolina to see the best and the brightest. John Calipari and his staff made the trip and Calipari ended up flying back and forth between the Peach Jam and an AAU event in Milwaukee numerous times. While there, they saw a number of UK targets and we got some notion of how the 2013 class is developing. A quick update on all the targets that UK has outstanding offers to at this point:

Harrison Twins: The only part of the 2013 recruiting class with no presence at the Peach Jam, these two guards are still thought to be the cornerstone of the UK class. I spoke with a number of people about the Harrison Twins this week and every single one predicted they would end up at Kentucky. However one very good source did say, “you have to remember that there is a strong home push there to remain in that home area and go to Maryland. For that reason, I wouldn’t say it is a done deal.” (The twins father is from Baltimore). Still, with everyone saying UK is the leader, you have to feel good about Calipari’s position.

James Young: I watched Young play four games over my time at the Peach Jam and he seemed to improve upon each viewing. After his first game scoring only seven points, I found myself wondering about the hype. But then over the rest of the tournament, you saw what Young brings to the table. He is not a dynamic athlete that pops off the court, but he is a steady player, with great skill and tremendous offensive ability. He scored a quiet 24 one game, 31 the next and his team won every time we saw him play. As one person told me, “he is a system guy…think about what Doron Lamb did for UK and Young can do that and more.” I would take that easily.

Julius Randle: The big man was impressive all weekend as he looked the most physically imposing of all the players at the Peach Jam. In my mind, I thought he was a long shot for the Cats, but the biggest news to me of the weekend is how strong Kentucky is on him. One source told me, “Kentucky is right there for Julius. And all the stuff about he and the Harrison Twins not getting along is made up. This guy wants to win and UK has a very good shot.” If Kentucky gets him, watch out.

Jabari Parker: Parker did not play at the Peach Jam due to injury, but I was told the opposite of Randle concerning his status with UK. A couple of different close sources said UK’s position was “third at best” with Parker and they did not see it happening. “I think there are a number of factors that keep Jabari from Kentucky. I never count out Calipari, but I would be surprised.”

Andrew Wiggins: The revelation of the Peach Jam for me. I knew he was good, but I didn’t realize just how good he is. Everyone I spoke with believes he will end up at Kentucky and the only real competition is Florida State, where both of his parents went to school. Leonard Hamilton was at every game and stalking his every move, but Calipari was a continued presence as well. The biggest question is whether he reclassifies from 2014 to 2013. Most everyone I spoke with thinks he eventually will. He will make that decision by mid-August.

Aaron Gordon: A week ago, the West Coast star said it was Washington and Arizona at the top of the list. This weekend he added Kentucky and said he was definitely going to take a visit. I personally think that stems from an increased presence from Kentucky, possibly because of worsening feelings about their status with Parker. Gordon’s team won the Peach Jam and he apparently spoke with Kyle Witljer, who recently played for the same AAU team. I was very impressed with Gordon’s skills and I watched him dominate one game while being hobbled with a rib injury. Calipari saw him five times over the weekend. I think one can say UK is very serious with him.

This group, along with Derek Willis, basically represents the focus of the UK 2013 class at this point. Kentucky has some secondary options, but if you look at the group above, it would represent the dream scenario for Kentucky. There is no way to predict how it will all shake out and we are a long way from knowing the final verdict..but if Calipari can somehow pull off the Harrison Twins-Young-Wiggins-and one of Randle/Parker/Gordon, to go along with Derrick Willis…it will be the best class in college basketball history.

— On the football side, the biggest news of the weekend was the decision to offer 3 and 4 game mini-season ticket packages this year. One can assume that this decision was based at least in part on lower season ticket sales. Mitch Barnhart confirmed that season ticket sales were down but “not horrible.” I have heard a few complaints from season ticket holders upset that the option wasn’t presented to them earlier, but in general those that already renewed are the die-hard who do so no matter what. The issue of fan support and the football program’s future was a big part of the FOOTBALL ROUNDTABLE that Ryan Lemond moderated on KSR on Friday morning. It included former Cats Anthony White and Ellery Moore, along with former UVA player Stan Norfleet. I listened on Saturday night and thought it was VERY informative, so if you missed it, I suggest listening at the link below:

Speaking of the radio show, our KSR RADIO TOUR begins next week, as we visit all of our affiliates. The current schedule is below and I hope you will try and come and see us at one of the stops:

Tues, July 31: Glasgow Glasgow Country Club

Wed Aug 1: Morgantown Farm Boy Restaurant

Thur Aug 2: Bowling Green Old Stone Golf Course

Fri Aug 3: UK MEDIA DAY

Mon Aug 6: Columbia Burger King

Tues Aug 7: Morganfield Verlie’s Restaurant

Wed Aug 8: Madisonville Hudson Toyota Chrysler

Thur Aug 9: Monticello Boat Dock Diner

Fri Aug 10: Jamestown Jamestown TV Station

Mon Aug 13: Paintsville TBA

Tues Aug 14:Somerset Gatti’s Pizza

Wed Aug 15: Lexington TBA

Thur Aug 16:Middlesboro Cracker Barrel

Tomorrow, we will be live at the Northern Kentucky UK Alumni Association Golf Tournament doing the radio show, so make sure and tune in at 10 am as we tell tales about the Peach Jam, the players and the off the court stories (which involve coaches and media members and are the real highlight of the trip). And until then, say hello to another UL fan favorite:

Article written by Matt Jones

61 Comments for Ernie Els’s Monday News and Views

1. EpicULfans
    11:05 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

UL fans are the best in class lol haha… 1st

2. Common Sense
    11:06 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

I wonder what that guys card tattoo looked like before he got fat, or maybe it was created to look like a piece of crap…

3. tooley14
    11:11 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

Matt,

I caught the last 30-45 minutes of the show Friday, and I have to say it was VERY good for those of us who are big football fans. Whoever put that show/forum together gets big kudos, as all the football guys were honest and informative. Just wanted to give a thumbs up for Friday’s show.

4. wildcatzz
    11:12 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

random question for everyone.on Sportscenter’s opening to each show, they have a championship team “promo” highlighting this year’s champions such as Alabama Football, Miami Heat, Baylor WOMEN’S basketball, etc. But KENTUCKY is not shown at all!! Has anyone else noticed this? We need to do something about that.

5. Common Sense
    11:15 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

Yes I’ve noticed this, and yes it ticks me off too.

6. bmt22033
    11:17 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

@1 – what “class” is that? Super heavyweight? 😉

7. Johnny
    11:19 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

Matt you have some balls my friend. I sure hope that UL fan doesn’t see you in public.

8. HillbillyInBC
    11:35 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

It’s a long way down the evolutionary ladder from Ernie Els at the top of the page to that douchenozzle at the bottom.

9. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    11:37 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

7. Johnny) C’mon man, that fat dude would have a heart attack walking across the room to confront Matt. He probably doesn’t leave the water because it makes his feet and ankles hurt to feel the full brunt of gravity.

10. High Maintenance Cat Fan
    11:45 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

WTF?!?! Still no word on where in Lexington you’re going?! I live in Hamburg and I swear if I have to drive ALL THE WAY to Nicholasville Rd or somewhere else I may just lose it. And if you come to Hamburg, make sure you’re on the end near Canes and NOT near Man O War because I am NOT driving all the way to the other side. Why do you continue to treat us Lexingtonians like crap?! First, KSR moves to Louisville. Now you may not even have the show near where I live. I deserve better than this!

11. Please No Football Talk
    11:49 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, I tuned out on Friday once the football talk started. The only thing worse than UK football is TALKING about UK football!!

12. dave
    1:10 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

jacob tamme one of handful of broncos to see aurora victims in hospital.

13. Buckets
    1:18 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Football roundtable was a total snooze-fest. I didn’t even listen to the second hour and barely made it through the first. That’s the first hour of the show I have skipped since it started.

14. SexnNursinHomes
    6:05 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

yeah, nothing screams “classy” like a fat tatted up ul fan lounging in an above ground pool.

15. 27
    6:30 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Is that T-Razor? http://youtu.be/j2cZ_eBkIa8

16. mores
    6:40 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Want a cupcake big boy? Huh? You want one? YEAH THATSA GOOD BOY HERE’S A CUPCAKE

17. Kidnut
    7:15 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

He still has room for more tats…can we take up a collection to put a UK tattoo on him?

18. TimeFor9
    7:19 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

I bet he has a tat on his back that says “Lexington is for the birds”

19. CatGrad7072
    7:20 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

SexN, you beat me to it. Well played!

20. BigMoney
    7:49 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

What is Lorenzen doing with UL tatoos?

21. UKIT
    7:53 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

A) Why did ya go and ruin a perfectly fine post by talking about UK football (tickets)? That whole program is a lie. They lie about tickets. They lie about truly caring about football success. They lied about Joker being ready and up to the job. And worse of all, they make UK fans lie to themselves and others – some will make excuses and not want to say a negative word for fear they are going to be viewed as ‘non fans’ and be the reason we will lose.

B) Let’s not be too rough on the uofl fan with the tat. My guess is he worked on that tat himself. Looks like he used a bathroom mirror. Plus, his canvas is far from perfect – you go get a sharpie and try to draw on jello, ain’t as easy as ya think.

22. Got CAL?
    7:53 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone know if Coach Cal wanted Willis to play in the AAU tourneys?

23. Scott Cooper
    7:55 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

This photo should come with an *, that * saying Note to all Louisville fans please remember to keep your shirts on.

24. I Be4UL
    7:57 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

I think that picture was taken at the Portland country club.

25. Needsawin
    8:18 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

When was your pool party Matt?

26. paducahfan
    8:29 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Matt – Els uses a long putter, actually a belly, too.

27. Azubuike's Bicep
    8:39 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

In his defense, those tattoos were proportionate before the weight gain.

28. Taber
    9:23 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Here is a music video of this guy…

29. Carl
    9:30 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

I agree with you on Els. A classy guy, but I also like Scott…he’s paid his dues I would have liked to see him close the deal. My out-of-state friends want to know why all the Louisville natives where “Angry Bird” shirts?

30. Crush little Red
    9:30 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Fwiw, a comment in a Baltimore Sun or Washington Post article the other day said that Mr. Harrison had been given a job by Under Armor, who was started by a ex-Maryland football player. The UM people seem to think they have a really good shot at the twins.

31. L yeah
    9:34 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

definitely the south end or off Preston. Most likely freaky fairdale. The funny part is they call UK hillbillies and redneck trash, when they have just as bad in Louisville. Ghetto, white trash everywhere. All UL fans must live in the east end because anything beyond the east end, this is what you get.

32. bill
    9:44 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

That of razor…best rapper in KY by far….be careful who
    you make fun of Matt

33. Brad
    10:03 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

I’ll preface this by saying im a huge UK fan, from Louisville and I enjoy this site. Very rarely comment but I personally know the dude in this pic, he is a close friend, I grew up with him. This is a true case of people acting real tough behind a keyboard because I %100 guarantee that no one who has made a comment about him on this post will say any of what you posted to him personally. Any of you that think you would feel free to respond and I will gladly set it up.

34. Jorts4life
    10:19 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Wellllllll, if bill & Brad say we shouldn’t make fun of the pic of Vanilla Ice(cream), then by all means we shouldn’t. If you guys don’t comprehend the ridiculousness of a hideously tatted-up, line-bearded, overweight UL fan in an above ground pool, perhaps this isn’t the site for you.

35. lovemycats
    10:48 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

#33 brad; you can not be a huge UK fan. UK fans don’t have friends that look like that.

36. bill
    10:54 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

This is the reason people fRom Louisville both UK and uofl fans can’t stand ignorant people from the country…you guys are fat lazy toothless people whoDr mom is their sister aunt and cousin..die hard UK fan but the majority of UK fans are racist like Nate the caller….I wonder why people want joker to be fired??

37. bobthebuilder
    10:59 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

No Romney Road Kroger?!?!

38. Brad
    11:07 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Like I stated before, Jorts4Life, keyboard tough guy. Come on out from behind that keyboard and be a man if you have something to say. That’s all I’m saying and last I checked this site says Kentucky sports radio not Jorts4life sports radio so don’t tell me what is and isn’t for me. I’m not some “oh bc Im a UK fan I have to wear golf polos and khaki slacks and be in some box in fear of not looking and sounding like everyone else” tool bag. It’s also kind of funny that the players and teams, UK, that you live and die for 75% of them look as this guy does. So there is quite a bit of irony when you make comments “SOO” against a certain look. What does that say about you? “I’ll just sit at this keyboard and write checks I cant cash.” Not every person that has tattoos and is a U of L fan is ghetto or trash. Maybe you should get out of the box and social media protected utopia you are growing inside.

39. Brad
    11:09 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

As I said open invitation to anyone who wants to say any of this to him in person. We can have Matt set up a show for it!!

40. Rationality
    11:34 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Can we envision a future day in which people DON’T cover themselves with god-awful tattoos?? Please tell me it’s possible, I’m so tired of seeing idiots cursing themselves to a life of minimum wage jobs by getting neck tattoos.

41. TED
    11:47 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

The Racism and ignorance on this site is why people around the world still consider Ky. the most redneck state! Not to mention this idiot Rationality is still living in the 1960′s. Tattoos are widely accepted now and the guy in the picture doesn’t seem to have any neck or hand tattoos. So if he wanted to wear a long sleeve shirt he could cover them all. Regardless of that how many of u have in ground pools? idiots

42. TED
    11:52 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

its still GO CATS!! And for the record I do not have one tattoo…

43. Mike
    12:00 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I know who this guy is, mainly because I’m related to him.

44. Razor
    12:22 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

LOL you people are hilarious! Buy my new album The Bobby Kennedy LP here http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-bobby-kennedy/id515692085 Thanks for the promo Matt! I’ll be coming to your next event so we can talk in person… and for the record that’s not a line beard LMAO…. OBAMA 2012!!!

45. STEVE!
    1:20 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Sorry to interrupt the discussion about the gentleman in the photo, but I have a sports-related question. How do we sign the Harrison twins, Young, Wiggins, and one of Parker\Gordon, plus Willis. Don’t one of the twins, Young, Wiggins, Parker, Gordon, and Willis all play the 2 or the 3? Are we in good shape with any big guys to balance the class? Thanks.

46. lovemycats
    2:08 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

39 brad; i bet you have tats too, so enough said. the dude in the pic is trailer trash and i wouldn’t give you or him the time of day, i do have all of my teeth, do you?

47. Buddy
    2:13 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Damn razor, 33 year old lil Wayne fan here, previewed one song (addicted), heard ur talent and bought 9 songs since I only had 9 dollars in my account, hate the tards more than most but Matt should get his ass kicked for talkin crap, get that on YouTube

48. Jorts4life
    3:03 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Lighten up, Francis. This is a fan site, all in fun, and I would hope/expect UL fan sites (in their social media-protected utopias) take similar pics of stereotypical UK fans (toothless/inbred/redneck) and have fun with them. And I do have a nice UK polo and slacks you can borrow.

49. Brad
    3:12 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

lovemycats; not a tat one but what difference would that make anyway. I’m actually his friend I grew up with him I’m not his friend because he is a musician or because of how he looks or because I’m trying to be like him. Whatever he has goin on is his thing but I’m not gonna let people call him out like that and not say anything because as I said I’m real I don’t hide behind my keyboard and say stuff or act in a way I wouldn’t be in real life. Truth be told I’am a born again christian, emphasis on the born again lol and I just cant stand our culture how we have evolved into these little weak “I’ll toss stones at people and then run and hide because I’m not man enough, to stand up and do it face to face.” people. I’m not about violence either just get sick of people hiding behind their message boards, twitters, facebooks etc. Teeth: CHECK. From the city not from the sticks, no offence to anyone that is, that makes you no less no more than me just not from the country. Never lived in a trailer either bro but how would that make me any less than anyone else if I did? You make yourself look ignorant when you speak. Think before you speak bc Im betting it would be a long fall form the spot you have promoted yourself to in life. Man up and quit talkn stuff you wouldn’t be about in THE REAL WORLD!!

50. lovemycats
    3:31 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

brad; waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaa
    he is still a loserville fan. don’t care.

51. catscatscats
    3:42 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

#33, if the tat guy is truly your friend, please help him.

52. Brad
    3:46 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Yea Yea…like I expected!! Ur a CHILD grow some!!

53. Brad
    3:48 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

The funny thing is if all of you all were in the same room together and I was alone I’d still be who I am on this keyboard to your FACE!! What about yourself??

54. go bbn
    3:52 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

#51 hey you guys let up on brad. you seem to be upset brad. chill out. this is a fun site.

55. Jorts4life
    3:52 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Brad – let us know what shift at McDonalds your buddy Vanilla Ice(cream) is working so we can step out of our social media-protected utopias and go heckle him in person.

56. catscatscats
    3:57 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

sorry brad we didn’t mean to. poor baby. it will be ok.

57. Brad
    4:04 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I’m not upset at all you just further my point. This is probably how you lead your whole lives, hiding behind your little comfort bubbles. Pretty pathetic, cowardice way to exist but do you!!

58. go bbn
    4:07 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

but brad, you really do seem to be upset. are u hiding behind your keyboard? now stop that…

59. big Eric from Germantown
    6:16 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

To all you ignorant ppl out there, calling you out go bbn/matt/jorts4life/ and all the rest of you, you wanna call someone dumb and ignorant and white trash for having tattoos but your bashing a guy you don’t even know, so in reality that kind of makes you all those things huh, oh but the difference is your punks on top of it, so as a call out, if you think your tough, tougher than just being an internet tough guy who can talk trash from your parents computer, please put on here a bar in Louisville that we can meet at Saturday night, I will defend my friends honor and smack you around with not a second thought…and this is coming from a UK fan that is not a dumb racist ass hole…so please step up if not don’t talk crap, b/c I am sure your a fat, ugly, can’t get laid, uneducated, piece of crap, that only thinks your hard in the safety of your home.

60. Svensk Fondservice
    7:18 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Wonderful put up, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing. I am confident, you have a great readers’ base already!|What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & aid other customers like its aided me. Great job.

61. catscatscats
    7:29 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

59 big eric; your momma must be proud of u. poor baby are you upset also. you know u don’t have to live in a trailer to be trailer trash. its a way of life you choose. grow up and get out of the bar. what do you do? slap your women around too.