What are you looking at DeMarcus?
The Wildcats are coming off an incredible week. For a team as young as Kentucky to go into Starkville and Nashville and escape with two victories is a major statement for how good this team actually is.
As Beisner noted earlier, Andy Katz of ESPN named Kentucky the “Team of the Week” in college basketball. Katz adds this in the article:
“Kentucky has locked up a No. 1 seed. Now the Wildcats are working on securing the SEC regular-season title.”
– The Wildcats are still ranked #2 in both the AP and ESPN/USA Today rankings this week; the Cats earned four first place votes in the AP poll
– Headbands galore in the SEC this week: Kentucky’s headband, DeMarcus Cousins, has been named SEC Freshman of the Week after averaging 19.0 points and 9.5 rebounds in two games; Tennessee’s headband, Wayne Chism, is the SEC Player of the Week
– Speaking of SEC Awards, the UK Hoops team has swept the women’s side of the honors; Victoria Dunlap is the Player of the Week and A’dia Mathies is the Freshman of the Week
– SEC fans over 30 may remember a 7-1 Florida center named Dwayne Schintzius; the former Gator was a force down low for the Gators from 1987-90; Schintzius, 41, is in a fight with leukemia and following a recent bone marrow transplant, the situation does not look good according to TampaBay.com
– Kentucky earned another “No. 1 seed” assistyesterday as Pitt sent #3 Villanova to a loss
– If you enjoy watching a high-level of basketball that is close to home, you should check out some of the ABA action in Kentucky. Here is a look at a game over the weekend that featured a handful of former UK players and other local talent
– Ex-Cat Jodie Meeks earned his first action with the 76ers over the weekend; he has been used sparingly in his first two games but hopefully the situation in Philadelphia will offer him a better chance at more playing time
– The hype heading into the season was which program, UK or UNC, would reach 2,000 wins first…the question now is will UNC ever reach 2,000 wins? It’s a tough season in Chapel Hill folks.
Follow me on Twitter for breaking news and updates