Eric Prisbell drops a Randle hint

RandleGallery7

If you’re not listening to Kentucky Sports Radio right now, then you need to turn it on in 15 minutes. USA Today’s Jason Jordan, who has been following Randle’s recruitment closer to anyone, is coming on to tell us which college he thinks Julius Randle will choose tomorrow. Meanwhile, his USA Today colleague, Eric Prisbell, just dropped a very cryptic hint on Twitter:

Come on down.

53 Comments for Eric Prisbell drops a Randle hint

1. bdowne
    10:30 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

That has to be a hint towards Kentucky. The class is one player away from being arguably the best ever.

2. asdf
    10:33 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

There is no other team who would be an overwhelming favorite in 2014 with Randle added to the mix. Definitely he’s hinting Kentucky here…

3. Thoughts?
    10:33 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

If Randle gives that much of a push towards a championship, what is the status for a Wiggins commitment? A lock to go undefeated?

4. catfan55
    10:34 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

if we ever needed a shot of good news…..this would be it!!! Come on down Randle, welcome to BBN!!!

5. WildcatFan
    10:38 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Oh, good Lord….come on down Julius! We’ve been expecting you.

6. UK Fan
    10:40 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Welcome Julius. Andrew…your next. Come make history with BBN!

7. Matt
    10:41 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Anyone remember what happened to the Miami Heat when they crowned themselves champions before the season ever started the first year Bosh, Wade, and LeBron got together? It pissed the other teams off and made them play better to try and take the Heat out. They lost in the Finals to a much less talented Mavericks team.

Next year’s team is going to be great and fun to watch but people should have learned a lesson about tempering expectations a little bit from this year’s team. Let’s at least give them a few months to show that they will come together as a unit and look as good as we think they will before we start hanging that ninth banner.

8. Dothinktofast
    10:43 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

He might be talking about Kansas. If he and wiggins go there they could give us a heck of a run for our money.

9. CamelToeBlues
    10:45 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Well, I was at Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors and overheard a friend of mine talking to his mom who happens to work at a Jiffy Lube with an ex wife who was friends with Randle’s mom and she definately said Julius would be a Jayhawk. My source is solid.

10. Dothinktofast
    10:45 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Amen number 7

11. 2013class
    10:45 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

But I thought we were gonna win it all too?

12. Richie gonna play tonight?
    10:45 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

I saw Billy Donovan looking at houses in Andover

13. Musehobo
    10:46 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

7) While agree with your overall point (I don’t like talking about being champs before a season either). I believe you’ve selected a bad example. If a team crowns themselves champs, then actually makes it to the finals, I hardly think Dallas was playing harder because of Miami’s arrogance. At the Final’s EVERYBODY plays as hard as they can. Meaning crowning themselves champs is not what made them lose.

14. Catpapa2525
    10:49 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Off topic. Julius Mays looks just like D.L. Hughley!

15. Jordan
    10:50 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Would Randle be considered “nephew Julius”?

16. barn
    10:53 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

has anyone heard what time tomorrow he’s going to make the announcement?

17. nexttokin
    10:58 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

No #15. He’ll be our daddy!!!

18. Fat Cat
    10:58 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

That tweet isn’t a “cryptic hint.” It isn’t any kind of hint. It merely means that IF Randle chooses Kentucky, the 2014 Nat. Champ. would be decided. It in no way infers that he has any information that Randle in fact WILL pick Kentucky. I want him to pick UK as much as anyone, but no tea leaves to read in this tweet…

19. Greg
    11:00 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

COME ON DOWN, and bring Wiggins with you!

So who all stays? Who do you WANT to stay

20. Scott in Nashville
    11:00 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Announcement at Noon EST tomorrow. GO CATS!!

21. Matt
    11:01 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

13. Teams were going after the Heat all season and players around the league were making comments and taking jabs at them for how arrogant they were being. I also understand that everyone physically plays hard in the finals but do you really not believe that they could be a little more focused and mentally sharp knowing who they were playing? Or that the pressure just kept piling on the Heat over the course of the year until they snapped right before the finish line? You don’t think LeBron and Wade mocking Dirk for being “sick” had anything to do with him going off and smoking them for the next few games?

Believe what you want but I think that Heat team is THE PERFECT example of the negative effect of crowning a team champion before the games are played. The media crucified them all season, through the offseason, and even the next year for every little mistake they made or slump they went through. That is alot of unnecessary pressure that piles on a team and don’t forget that we will be dealing with 18 year old kids trying to handle that pressure, not grown men at the height of their athletic prime.

22. Sean D
    11:01 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

So Wiltjer will be the only one with some NCAA tourney minutes, but they are a lock? I’m confused.

23. Truth
    11:06 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

SeanD-have you watched youtube lately?…#9

24. enes
    11:07 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Wow,with the best class ever they might even qualify for the NCAA.

25. Seriously
    11:08 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

7, 21—that team also made it all the way to the championship in their first year despite spending half a season getting used to playing together, won a championship last year, and is currently steamrolling the rest of the NBA. College and pro are very different games, granted, but I’d rather be the Heat than the Mavericks.

26. Sean D
    11:08 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

23. Yes I have. I love a good Harlem shake

27. theSkinny81
    11:09 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

24 – UK 8, Denny Crum 2.

28. truth
    11:12 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

26. You should stop rotting your remaining brain matter with Harlem shake and Call me maybe lip sync videos and watch our future players ball. Fan card will be removed if you watch this crap over our future champions…

29. Greg
    11:14 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

So the lineup would look like this:
    Aaron Harrison
    Andrew Harrison
    James Young
    Julius Randle
    D. Johnson
    Marcus Lee
    Ryan Harrow
    K Wiltjer
    A Poythress
    D Willis
    J Hood
    J Polson
    ??Wiggins or D Hawkins

Walk ons-Lanter, Long, Malone
    assuming Nerlens, WCS and Archie go pro, and Polson willing to go back towalk on status, we could potentially sign all these players (ie both Wiggins and Hawkins. Obviously Andrew gets the 13th though if he wants to come.)
    That would be a really large team numbers wise for Cal but we would have a ton of depth. I don’t think Ryan is a starting guard but he could be capable backup.

30. Matt
    11:19 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

25. I would rather be the Heat too right now. But in acting like I am completely wrong you seem to be forgetting one obvious point that makes everything I said make sense and makes your comment irrelevant to what I was saying.

The Heat got to play together again the next year, our team will be together for one season and then be split up when they go pro. So for that 1 year that I was talking about I will let you be the Heat and I will take the season the Mavs had that year. Nice try though.

31. Lilboyblue
    11:21 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

There is no such thing as LOCK in a single elimination tourny. However I do think we will be the Heavy fave if we get Randle. College basketball will have another down year do to the weak draft and most of the best players trying to move to the next level. College basketball is slowly becoming a younger game due to everyone leaving early. So if you have the best young players.. You jave the best chance to win.

32. Guest
    11:26 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

#21 – And don’t forget we’re not playing against Dirk or any other pros. No one is hanging any banners, because we can’t until (and if) we win. Do you remember when a lot of Big Blue fans predicted UK to win before the 2011-12 season? And they were right. That’s a much better example than the Miami Heat example.

33. I Say
    11:27 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Duke will be really good next year.

34. blah blah blah
    11:27 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

If #29 is correct, Poythress will average 2 minutes a game if he’s lucky.

35. Greg
    11:33 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

24- Hey I respect the job that Coach Pitino has done with the Cards this season and they are really good, but they really got a heck of a draw in that midwestern region. Good luck with that.

36. Greg
    11:37 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

I agree, but that’s what Poythress needs, humbled. Could make him a much better player. Right now he’s not projected in this year’s draft and is projected 20 next year. If he comes back, he potentially could be a solid contibutor off the bench or may end up back as a junior, hopefully more mature and ready to win. Or he may end up in the draft this year, who knows. I would think he possibly could be a first rounder still on “potential” but I think he would be making a mistake to go personally. There’s nothing wrong with staying in college a while and letting your game develop, and in his case learning who you are as a person.

37. Chicago Chris
    12:01 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, yeah, I’ll just wait on the undefeated season. I remember Cal talking about that as his next goal after the NC. I’m sure he never, ever dreamed of missing the tournament the following season. At the college level, there are many talented players that can get hot and cold. We’ve seen plenty of the latter.

The reason this season is so frustrating is that it still does not make any sense. There’s no decent explanation as to why we were so bad at times. If Goodwin and Poythress actually DO go on to decent NBA careers, it will be further confusing.

38. Rand Paul's Head Squirrel
    12:02 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

37) totally agree Alex will be pushed by this group of talented recruits. He will either step it up or leave.

39. BS
    12:06 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

I am hearing that Wiltjer and Polson are transferring out. Anyone else heard these rumors?

40. Wrong
    12:07 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

7 – Matt – whomever you are

Only people who were asleep at the wheel EVER thought this year’s team could win a title. No PG!!!!!!!!

Many of us were calling #8 a full year in advance of 2012. The team next season is our chance at once in a lifetime in 2/3 years.

If we add Randle AND Wiggins – forget about it.

41. Mack
    12:18 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

Speaking of PGs, I don’t recall if the CATS attempted to land the Okie State PG, Smart, last year. Did the CATS make a run for Smart or did he just decide on Okie State?

42. Bobby Knight's Shrink
    12:23 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

You guys are nucking futs if you think Randle is announcing KY….it’s KANSAS !!

43. 2012 PG
    12:24 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

No, UK did not offer Marcus Smart. If memory serves, we were on Ricky Ledo and missed.

44. 2012 PG
    12:25 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

Actually, Ledo failed to qualify

45. 2012 PG
    12:26 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

My guess is that Cal thought he could make do with AG and Harrow to bridge the gap. He was wrong.

The twins give us a back court that has played together for years. That will equate to having upperclassmen imo.

46. Matt
    12:31 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

41. It is impossible to have an intelligent conversation on the comment boards because people either don’t read and understand comments before saying you are wrong or if your OPINION is different from theirs they think you are an idiot or a troll.

I never said anything about this year’s team winning a championship or hearing anyone else say that so I don’t know where you got that from. I said “people should have learned a lesson about tempering expectations a little bit from this year’s team.” Most smart UK fans knew they weren’t actually top 3 but still thought they would be in the top 25. I didn’t see or hear ANYONE say this team was gonna flame out and land in the NIT.

I know people were calling #8 a year in advance and it happened to work out that year. There are just too many variables that go into a college basketball season to get away with doing that very often (even if we add Randle and Wiggins). I believe we have a GREAT chance to win it all next year and we will be the favorites, especially if we get JR and AW. But, how often does the “favorite” actually win it all? I’m not going to look it up but I would guess the #1 overall seed wins it all less than half the time.

It is amazing how people freak out over such a simple comment. All I was saying is it is too early for everyone to be absolutely 100% saying we are going to win it all. I am personally in the group that is extremely excited and thinks we have the best chance out of anyone but that is as far as I am willing to go. Too many things can go wrong like bad shooting nights (2010 elite eight, 2011 final four), injuries (Noel 2013), or a bad draw in the tourney.

My opinion may not match yours but nothing I said was factually wrong, and most of your points have nothing to do with anything I actually said.

47. SoCal Will
    12:40 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

“Tempering” is overrated. Life is short.

48. Matt
    1:20 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

Matt, when you say people should have learned about tempering expectations with this year’s team and including it with talk about the Miami Heat, it is not a huge leap to think you were saying that people expected a title.

49. Matt
    1:24 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

That said, I don’t disagree. I said 100 times that this team would not win a title and people were putting unfair expectations upon them.

Next year’s team is different.

50. Derp
    3:48 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

7… You’re a fuggin idiot

51. I can't call it
    4:05 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins and randle both to KU. I’d bet the farm on it.

52. Cats
    4:18 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

52… Better enjoy your last day on the farm.