Erik Ainge thinks Butch Jones will be UK’s next head coach

Sources, sources everywhere! Knoxville radio host and former UT quarterback Erik Ainge is hearing that Butch Jones may be Kentucky’s next head coach. Jones was considered a favorite in the search until reports surfaced that he may have been holding out for an offer from the Vols.

Stay tuned…

35 Comments for Erik Ainge thinks Butch Jones will be UK’s next head coach

1. Punter U
    9:47 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

OMG, will it be Retread A, or Retread B?? The suspense is killing me.

2. Wow
    9:48 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Go figure that early reports would be the that ONLY coaching candidate that we have seriously considered that I absolutely do NOT want to be our next coach is rumored to have been offered the job. Unbelievable. Please be wrong.

3. Fake Jacob Kiper
    9:53 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Um, I broke that.

4. Wayne
    9:53 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Who is Eril Ainge?

5. Jim
    9:54 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones didn’t say this. Rumors, rumors

6. Jason
    9:54 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Last night, people are mad about Macintyre. Today, mad about Butch Jones.

That’ll show ’em.

7. SeoulCat
    9:56 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Dear God, please no.

8. BlueinCatlanta
    9:56 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

I get most of my sports information from Erik Ainge – 2% of the time he is right every time. I would probably pay more attention to Danny Ainge or even I kid I knew in elementary school who had the last name Ainge.

9. Oogie
    9:56 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Somebody should do a 30-for-30 film on the history of the Kentucky football program. Seriously, it would be fascinating. A slow but inexorable train wreck that started 70 years ago and is still going strong.

10. Butch Jones
    9:57 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

I’m a pretty good coach….you people will find something wrong with everyone!!

11. Jack Nicklaus
    9:58 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

After doing some research, would MUCH rather have McIntyre instead of Jones. Much, much better connected and plays a wide-open offense.

12. UK Homer
    9:58 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Matt didn’t say this last night. Probably nothing to it unless it happened overnight, which is entirely possible given the competition now

13. Yes
    9:59 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Dykes > McIntyre > everyone else > Jones

14. fireant
    10:01 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Please God no! Please no Butch Jones. I would much prefer McIntyre. The guy from Utah State would be a better choice than Butch Jones.

15. DC Cat
    10:02 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

This can’t be true. Matt jones said no one has been offered. What a clown. He knows nothing.

16. I think I’ll open up a Twitter account and claim that it’s Nick Saban.

17. Jason
    10:03 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

When it comes down to it, Ainge is throwing up a pretty hefty word with “done deal”. You have to think he’s fairly confident on that. It wouldn’t be unheard of for Jones to come back to their offer if he found out UT was thinking of someone not-named-Butch-Jones.

Jones is a fine coach. Averages 200 yards rushing per game, 430 total yards and 30 points. He’s in the Big East so he’s got better competition than the Dykes and Macintyre’s. Local connections.

I’m a-okay with a Butch Jones hire.

18. winston
    10:07 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

No one can read between the LINES like Ainge. Get it? See what I did there? LINES?

19. Mikey1286
    10:07 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

I think at this point that each of the names that are being rumored out there come with a level of uncertainty. They all are good coaches and have had success at their respective schools. They can come in and prosper, or fail. From my perspective I think that all are toss ups and it will just take time to find out if we made the right choice. It’s hard to say who is the best coach out of these names because all have had success but are “unproven” in the SEC.

There are similar arguments for each
    Stoops – Success as a DC at Fla. St, but has no head coaching experience.
    McIntire – Built up a struggling program, but play in the WAC
    Sonny Dykes – See comment on Mcintire (although they were in better shape than sjsu)
    Jones – Has had success in inferior Big East, can he do it in SEC

Point is, who knows if these guys will be able to turn UK into a contender in this league? I think that all have put together resumes which make them deserving of the oppurtunity and I think the fans who totally dismiss them are crazy. I was a fan that thought we should get Petrino, but I realize that ship has sailed so I am going to give whoever the next guy is a shot as a fan. I won’t be upset with any of these names because I think that based on all there resumes, there really isn’t a clear cut choice as to who is going to be a “sure thing” as a head coach. Good luck to whoever it is!

20. Pappa D Nutts
    10:10 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

#9) LOL

21. Delirious Vols
    10:14 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

I’m fine with hiring Butch Jones, but I would definitely not trust Ainge–or any other Vol, for that matter. Just get on a UT message board if you want to know why. Most of the threads talk about how Jon Gruden is a “done deal.” That seems to be their favorite phrase these days, so take it with a grain of salt.

22. Blueprints
    10:14 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Pro Bobby P yea thats me

23. Tickle
    10:14 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

I know this isn’t asking a lot, but does this guy recruit better than “The Joke” cause If he can’t get top 35 classes in the SEC, I guess we will be back in 3-4 years seeking a coach and an AD(thank God)

24. Sad
    10:18 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

who is the best of the worst coaches? Thats what we are down to now. Best of the Worst.

25. Brad
    10:18 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

I really hope we do not get Butch Jones. It would be a typical “Kentucky Hire.” Stoops or McIntire, or Sonny Dykes. Just not Butch

26. Betty Ford
    10:23 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Oh, Erik…have you fallen off the wagon?

27. Kaboom
    10:44 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Here is a thought….Petrino will NOT be at UK. At what point will people realize it’s not going to happen. I want Nick Saban but would getting on here evey hour and saying I want him do any good. We get it you want him, tell Santa Clause because he will be the only one who will listen. It’s either support the other candidates or don’t support the football program!

28. asdf
    10:49 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t we learn during the whole Billy Donovan fiasco that the phrase “done deal” is code for “complete fiction”?

29. BigBlue Forever
    11:07 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

27, good point. I am on the petrino to UK bandwagon. Obviously the man wants the job but won’t be considered. It’s a shame too. He has the best, maybe only, chance of turning UK around & truly making us competitive in the sec. Sometimes you have to take a chance in life in order to improve.
    So yes, your advice is good & I will not be supporting the program until barney fife is gone.

30. John Calipari's Amazing One and Done Flying Circus
    11:22 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Isn’t a UK fan trying to make an informed decision on a football coach the equivalent of a Minnesota fan trying to make an informed decision on a basketball coach?

Just sayin…..

31. Stu Padaso
    11:29 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

A friend just texted me saying one of his clients is an attorney for UK and stated that while he cannot give names, the coach has been hired and the contract agreed upon.

32. joker blows
    11:52 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

I think with Jones or McIntire….bad hires!
    I think the best we could do is get stoops….but he wants Auburn sounds like.

33. Truman Clayter
    12:03 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

@ #16 what’s up Red? Wanna play a game of horse?

34. Steve
    2:33 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

It’s sad that soooooooo many of our fans do not have a clue!

Too bad that most of them don’t realize just how ridiculous they sound.

35. UK has a football team?
    5:21 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink