Epidemic of UK Gear on Louisville’s Campus?

I received this photo via a trusted source from within the belly of the beast.  Signs persuading students to NOT wear UK attire while on campus have been posted up around the University of Louisville.  I know from experience that lots of Kentucky fans attend UofL and proudly wear their Wildcat gear to and from class.

It won’t really get you that much unwanted attention at UofL.  That’s a bit an overstatement (unlike in the south, where teabagging unsuspecting rivals is fair game NSFW).  One may think it unwise to wear your most hated opponent’s logo on campus, but this situation is different – if you wear blue attire on UofL’s campus, you’ll find plenty of others doing the same…daily.  The real reason for these signs, in my opinion, is that fact that SO MANY students at Louisville are Kentucky fans.  Whatever the circumstances (UPS work, scholarships, family, etc etc) may be, plenty of Cats fans end up at their school.  I know this from experience.  While it’s certainly not a majority, there’s a large contingency of Big Blue Nation over in the Belknap area of Old Louisville attending classes weekly.

UK is the ‘Commonwealth’s team’ after all.

While we’ve heard plenty of stories in line with the facts stated above, I’ve always wondered what the Louisville contingency in Lexington is like.  I know a couple UofL fans who attend UK (usually because they were from Louisville and wanted to go to UK for better education/parties), but you never hear about them as a ‘problem’. There’s no way you’d ever see a sign like this put up at UK.  1) The UofL fanbase there can’t be that large and 2) they probably learned to keep quiet about their red allegiance due to unwanted attention.

So, former/current UK students:  How many UofL shirts did/do you see on campus per day?  Per year?  How bad is the heckling?  Were they usually dirty, unkempt vagrants who found the shirts in a dumpster somewhere?  Were they all virgins with no friends?  Or are they just trolls trollin’?

Article written by Chris Thomas

99 Comments for Epidemic of UK Gear on Louisville’s Campus?

1. josh
    3:36 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

You may see one UofL shirt a week, if that. And it’s probably the same guy wearing it.

2. uktrackgeezer
    3:36 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

One of the many wonders of living in Southern California is that I virtually NEVER see any Loserville apparel.
    Conversely, I often see UK gear in this ocean of Bruins and Trojans and there is always a knowing smile between us long distance fans.

3. kyle heavy
    3:37 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I was lifting next to a dude who had a “The Ville” shirt on in the Johnson Center and another HUGE dude came up and asked him why it’s not spelled “The Vull” because all their stupid fans say “Louisvull.” Then, he said it’s not a good idea to wear that in the weight room. The Louisville fan looked like he had shat himself and seen a ghost. He had no reply.

4. cristoforouk
    3:39 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Hardly saw any UofL apparel on UK campus. They know better.

Funny thing about this sign is that it will just make UK fans wear more UK apparel. I would wear it everyday after this.

5. Gil-the-Thrill
    3:39 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Did they get permission to use UK’s logo for that…? I hear a lawsuitttttt

6. MemphisCat
    3:40 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I wear my UK gear all over Memphis and I will tell you that Memphis is still butt-hurt about UK’s success and John leaving. They thought that he would never leave the small time program that Pastner is running into the ground with his star recruits. lol

7. Tim
    3:41 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

As a police officer, I lived in a dorm & attended the Sothern Police Academy in the spring semester of 2004 (the UL school paper was bragging Rondo was a guearentee to sign with the Cards any day!). Being a HUGE Kenrucky fan, I packed all of my UK gear to wear around Belknap! In the end, I most chastised mostly by the old Italain professor who LOVED bragging about their wonderful basketball coach: Patino… I’d love to go back and ask him how that’s worked out for him!? The students, they were fine. I never heard the first word from one of them

8. HOO HOO
    3:41 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Hoosiers wear their candy-stripes all over in the Blue Grass because “It’s Indiana”

9. Jrod
    3:42 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

who cares

10. studentsays
    3:45 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I see a few a week, but not many by any means. Never seen any heckling. Why would we bother with teams so far beneath us? And they are for the most part wanna be gangstas.

11. soupdog
    3:46 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

True Story:

When the on campus practice facility was being built at U of L, my friends firm bid and subsequently won the contract to build the locker rooms. Under the contract language, it implicity laid out that no University of Kentucky clothing was to be worn to and on the worksite and if so, it would constitute a breach of contract. I have heard the same thing about the Yum Center, but can’t confirm. Want to talk about insecurities….

12. manbearpig
    3:48 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I wear my UK gear all the time up here at Purdue even when I’m teaching as a TA. I’ve came across quite a few fellow UK fans here but have only encountered one person with a line beard, I mean Louisville shirt on.

13. Fletcher
    3:49 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

There’s really never any UL gear seen on campus. The only school that you see represented no matter what every day is Ohio State. UK is flooded with Ohio kids who didn’t get into OSU and insist on making people aware of it.

14. H.P. Pennypacker
    3:50 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Went to UK from 2001-2008.

RARELY ever saw UL gear on campus. But I never saw anybody wearing any Cards garbage get heckled, for the simple reason that it was too embarrassing to even mention it. Better left unsaid.

15. VII
    3:50 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Hoping the UofL Chi O’s and DZ’s give me some “unwanted attention” while I stroll through Greek row Fri night.

16. UKalum
    3:50 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I’m all for hating Louisville however, I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t cheer for the school you attend. I understand if you go to a community college cheering for a big name program. But I had a UT friend and a couple of UL fans while in college and I really feel like they missed out on there college experience by not being a UK fan. There is nothing better than tailgating every weekend to watch YOUR team play and be around people with the same passion for your school day in and day out. Even though waiting in line in the lottery sucks its part of the college experience. Honestly, I feel sorry for the people who don’t cheer for their future alma mata.

17. theTruth
    3:51 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

When I attended U of L, I saw more than a few UK hats, sweatshirts, t-shirts etc. That was 15 years ago. I only did it once. 1996 in the student section at Freedom Hall. And I was surrounded by several UofL students with UK gear. 4th row underneath the basket when Derek Anderson did his thing on Nate Johnson’s head.

18. Beast
    3:52 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I graduated from U of L and I hardly believe that these signs were put up by anyone on U of L’s payroll. I have, among with many others, worn blue on campus a million times and not once has anyone said anything to me; it is far from a “hot button” issue.

Go Cats.

19. Eric McKendrick
    3:52 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I am student at UL and I make it a point to wear my UK gear. For what I am paying them, I guess I’ll wear what ever I want

20. DB11
    3:56 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Last year i lived in Blanding 2 (dorm). There were UL fans living to the left and right of me. Every game you could hear them through the walls cheering for the other team. I just wish school was in session during the beginning of the tourney, payback would have been sweet.

21. manbearpig
    3:57 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

#16 I cheer for Purdue too, and Mackey student section is everything the ERUPPTION ZONE should be and it’s a great basketball atmosphere but when it’s all said and done it’s hard to turn on the fact I grew up in Lexington and UK is my team (plus I did go to UK for a bit as an undergrad)

22. DB11
    3:57 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

But those sorostitues, they’re everywhere, how about those sorostitutes?

23. Reality Is
    3:58 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

16. I went to WKU…and don’t care if they ever win a damn game. Don’t feel sorry for me though.

24. Don
    3:58 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

#8 – Seriously, is there a more irrelevant program that is categorized among the all timers than Indiana? The biggest news out of their program over the past ten years was all controversial biggotry with Davis and NCAA troubles..

25. Michael
    4:02 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

@UKalum I went to UL and there is no way I would root for them just because I went there. I’m from Louisville and UPS paying for college is the only way I could afford going there. I’ve been a Kentucky fan since I was born so there is no way I would support my school. I’d go to school, take my classes, and then head back home. Also wore a UK shirt almost everyday.

26. Keyzer Soze
    4:03 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Went to UK in 2003-2004. An RA in my dorm was wearing a UofL shirt one night and my roommate and I gave her a little grief about it. She was VERY defensive and we never saw her wearing it again.

27. UK Wildcat
    4:03 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I hardly saw any Louisville gear when I lived on campus last year. Barely even knew any Louisville fans. FWIW though, my dealer was definitely a Louisville fan. Go figure.

28. Dacci
    4:04 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

As an EKU alum, I used to see this on our campus. I understand wearing it on campus, but it really irritated me when I saw people wear UK shirts to EKU basketball games and other sports. If you are going to go to the game, at least support the right school. I know this is a hot issue at WKU as well.

29. Rick Noush
    4:04 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

You never see UofL fans wear their stuff at UK because theyre afraid/ashamed. I have a lot of friends at UK that will only wear UofL stuff on special occasion. On the other hand, UK fans LOVE to piss off people on campus at UofL by wearing it. One of my former coaches wouldn’t walk into class at UofL with out his blue on. Simply put, “We’re better than them, and we know it.”

30. gocats
    4:06 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

VII – aren’t you too old to be strolling through Greek row?

31. Will
    4:07 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Went to UL and wore my UK gear multiple times a week. Hell, I even wore a UK shirt on my senior visit there. There was never any “unwanted attention.” I spent time over in Lexington due to extracurriculars and had some friends that I knew at UL that went to grad school at UK. They never dared to show anything UL because something always happened to them (or their vehicle that had UL stuff on it).

32. Maxx
    4:09 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I attended U of L in 2003 and I proudly rocked my UK.gear everywhere. Saw plenty of others as well. I didn’t get into a fraternity because of it but that was the best thing that ever happened to me. Cardinals suck

33. footballsux
    4:10 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

18, it’s far from a hot button issue with everyone except Pitino. Those are probably his signs and he probably made lil’ Ricky hang them up in the wee hours one night.

34. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    4:11 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

This is a classic case of “Little Brother Syndrome”. I attended UofL for three years and proudly sported UK gear on campus all of the time. My car even had a UK collegiate license plate. Never had any problems.

35. Joe
    4:12 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Lifelong UK fan, but I decided to go to med school here in Louisville (sorry, absolutely no comparison in the programs. UL will win that one every time). I would say the majority of my class (the ones who give a monkey’s butt about sports) pull for UK. In fact, I would say I see more UK shirts around the health science campus than UL shirts.

36. bigblue
    4:13 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I see Fl, IU, Ohio St., NC,Duke etc. in Lexington and Louisville so who cares U of L is doing something right they are one of the top grossing schools in revenue so I don’t think they care if we were UK gear on the campus your tuition cost more than a UK shirt.

37. manthony davis
    4:15 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

i visit u of l quite often because i have a good friend who goes to speed school there and every time i go i wear tons of uk gear. i have never been heckled and one time i even got a compliment from a uk fan who worked in a u of l cafeteria.

38. BTI
    4:16 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

i saw one guy wearing a red t shirt on campus. i cant say for sure it was louisville but it was red so i stabbed him anyway.

39. Brad Gross
    4:22 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I am currently a freshman @ UofL and I see AT LEAST one piece of UK paraphernalia everyday. I even saw a lot today, several toboggans, some hoodies, and I just passed a kid 10 minutes ago as I was walking into my dorm with a UK basketball t-shirt. I haven’t seen any of those signs, but I believe they are around. Probably made by some students who get pissed at the blue invasion that will never stop. Last semester, I never wore my UK gear outside of my dorm room. However, over Christmas break I was on the brink of transferring and saying screw my scholarship (not a full ride) because of how much I love UK and would love to be in Lexington. But because Louisville’s College of Business is superior to UK’s Gatton College of Business (that is a fact) I decided it wasn’t in my best interest. To compensate and keep me and my BBN pride happy, I decided I will wear UK gear a lot this semester and already have several times! ALLCATSEVERYTHING

40. Me
    4:25 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Use to wear my UK stuff all the time on uofl’s campus. Had a few athletes in classes while there, usually friendly converstions. Had a class with Perrin Johnson, probably the coolest uofl athlete there at the time. The professors would usually just shake their head at me.

41. The Truth
    4:25 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

35. That would make sense since you obviously have a high IQ. Although, it doesn’t take a medical students brain to figure out that being a Loserville fan is just stupid.

42. George
    4:26 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like the control freak Tommy J is at it again!!

43. Keyzer Soze
    4:28 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Only time I ever caught hell at UofL was when I (coincidentally) wore a Miami shirt on campus the week after the football team went down there and got beat. I went into the SAC and there were a group of players sitting around and they yelled a little bit, but even they didn’t seem to care too much.

44. Keyzer Soze
    4:31 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

#40 yeah some of my friends were friends with Perrin. He would eat lunch with us sometimes and was always really cool with me even if I was wearing a UK shirt.

45. Brad Gross
    4:32 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

ONE LAST THING! you all should love this.
    Last June during my Student Orientation session, there were about 150 incoming freshman in a large room where the orientation staff was teaching us the “CARDS” cheer where they go, “Ohhhh C-A-R-D-S CARDS!” while spelling the letters and throwing up the L sign when they shout cards. After repeating the cheer about 10 times the staff asked if any students would like to get up on stage and lead the cheer. A lot of my peers had already pegged me as an outgoing guy so they were pointing at me and saying “Pick him!!” and I was noticed. When somebody approached me, I said “No! you don’t want me up there! Trust me!” and they thought it was because I was shy and I just didn’t want to get up in front of everybody. After they kept encouraging me to go, I said okay then lets do this.. I went up on stage, looked around, and….

“OHHHH C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!!!!”

there were a few cheers, very few. and I got some of the nastiest glares ever, some playful and some in disgust. I was so proud to rep the BBN!
    Still to this day kids will approach me and remember me for that. I love it.

46. Legalice
    4:35 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I know my night law school class at U of L was over 1/2 UK fans when we graduated in 2000…not to mention I wore a UK golf shirt my first day of class undergrad at U of L in ’83…

I know there is still a substantial number of Big Blue Faithful all over the Card campus from friends that attend today…

47. Brad Gross
    4:36 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I also had a class with Chane Behanan last semester and we are not buddies, but are on a first name basis. He knew I was a UK fan and I would talk to him about basketball a lot, but he would still shake his head at me with a smirk when I talked about UK as if to say, “C’mon mannnn!” ha but I cannot wait to see him again on campus, because I’m definitely going to make a joke towards him by somehow fitting, “point blank. period.” into our conversation. I’ll let KSR know when it happens!

48. geraldfitchistheman
    4:37 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Just graduated from uk in december. I was a member of a large fraternity on campus (120) and within that group there were probably 10 u of l “fans”. Its funny when we were all freshman they were die hard u of l and hated everything about uk, but by the time senior year rolled around most all had a uk shirt of some kind and pulled for uk often. Come tourney time they were pulling for u of l, but trust me they rocked the uk gear when we beat ohio state and were burning couches. To me I belive after a while UK rubs off on you and the hatred dissappears. These people become the red headed step children of the fanbase that somehow root for the both of us except for when they play. only a couple of people Iknow have stuck hardcore to u of l the whole time

49. Doug the Prosecutor
    4:39 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I went to the Brandeis School of Law in Jefferson County from ’04-’07 and wore my UK apparel every gameday (and usually the Friday before Saturday football games). No one ever said anything threatening to me at the law school, probably because the law school was about 25-33% full of UK fans who only went to UL law instead of UK because UK didn’t accept us. I did get a few “don’t wear that (excrement) around here” threats when I’d play basketball in the SAC wearing UK shorts.

50. strange brew
    4:39 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

As a UK fan living in Louisville here are the facts –

1 – Louisville fans will always wear their gear early in the season of any sport

2 – if a team is doing well you’ll see tons of UofL car flags, shirts and ect

3 – if they start losing the gear disappears and its common to see UK gear outnumber UofL gear 4-1 in Jefferson county

That’s the Louisville way, be a fan when you win, hide the fact you’re a fan once you lose.

51. Jroc
    4:40 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Interesting fact, when I went to UK (class of 08) the head sports writer for the Kentucky Kernel was a guy by the name of johnathan smith. I lived on the same floor as him in k-tower freshman year. He is Crome Louisville and was a hard core UofL and Florida fan. I always thought that was wierd that he was the writer for our SPORTS section

52. Kidnut
    4:43 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Seems like Louisville campus officials would rather create an environment of hate rather than one of tolerance.

Maybe the Playboy model should attend a UL game in UK gear and when she is assaulted sue the university?

53. Robert Earl Keen, Jr.
    4:44 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

This isnt directly on point, but I never understood why some UofL fans choose to come to UK for college only to suffer through four years of hiding their loyalty or being chastised everytime they root for their team. I understand people doing it for grad school, because they might not have the option of choosing where they attend, but for undergrad it is basically an outright admission that they believe their rival is a better school, which is a complete benedict arnold move. So UofL fans, please stop attending UK, not for the sake of UK fans, but for the sake of your honorable UofL bretheren who had the balls to attend the institution for which they cheer.

54. Roy D
    4:44 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I worked on some of the u of smells practice buildings and was told to cover my hard hat stickers and license tag with duct tape or they would make me leave . I refused and threaten them with my lawyers business card

55. Ryan
    4:46 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I only went to UK for law school, but the only times I saw someone wear of UL shirt was if they had went there for undergrad. Although, in ’09, there were a couple of UL fans in the eRUPPtion Zone that were painted up like Cardinals. Yes, it looked as dumb as you might think.

56. dave
    4:46 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

50-wow. you really think you’ll see more ppl wearing UofL gear when the team is winning??????? i don’t know, man. that would make them similar to 99.99% of fan all bases……

57. 8.5Outlaw
    4:49 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I can’t remember seeing one single UofL shirt or cap while I was at UK in the mid-90s. Maybe blue is the only color I see since its the only color that exists.

58. AJH
    4:53 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

#1 took the words right out my mouth

59. My Shrink
    4:57 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

2 words:inferiority complex

60. buk
    5:04 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

28) When I was at WKU, I thought the students always did a good job of putting down their UK or UL gear and supporting WKU during games. Especially considering that EVERYONE that is a student there has allegiances elsewhere.

61. Chonesie
    5:12 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

@35 Joe…Bull. UK med school is FAR superior to UofL. I am a 4th year med student at UK and every single one of my classmates got into both UK and UofL med schools, and obviously UofL got the rejects.

62. BigBlueFan31
    5:16 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

To #50’s point:
    I did not attend either school, but I did work in Louisville for 4+ years and still live in the Louisville area. I have always found it true exactly what he is saying. When UL was #4 in the country earlier this year all the UL fans were out in force. Now, they are in hiding.
    How are we different. I NEVER stopped wearing my UK gear when BCG was our coach and we lost all the time!!

I moved from Western KY to Louisville and the craziest thing I ever heard was someone seriously saying: “I am a fan of both UL and UK.” I immediately said, “No, you’re not. That is not possible. You just have to pick a side man.” I still give him grief over that.

63. Common Sense
    5:18 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I see a few dozen UofL shirts each school year. I give every one the meanest look whether they recognize it or not.

64. suz
    5:31 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Wear Blue…See Blue…Everywhere, Everyday #BBN is everywhere

65. Dick Gosinia
    5:34 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I went to UK in the late 70’s, early 80’s and can’t remember ANY Smell fans at all. At least any that would admit it. I do know of a couple of Smell fans at UK now from Loserville that wanted to go to UK because they wanted a more “complete college experience” and to get away from their parents!

66. Scoutblue23
    5:35 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

@#8: There are more UL AND UK fans in Southern Indinana (Floyd and Clark counties) than IU! Basically, the only place to get your IU gear is IUS. Walmart has more UK gear than IU.

67. Rett
    5:46 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I’m currently sitting in an Anthropology class at UofL, and I think this is hilarious. Currently in my class of 40ish people I can count 4 UK shirts (including mine).

68. Kenny H
    5:51 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

This sign sound like a threat “Unwanted Attention”. Is UL creating a hostile learning environment?

69. J-Bone
    5:52 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I attended UK from 1999 to 2005 and it is a VERY RARE occurrence to see UL gear. So much so, that it was never really an issue. I can only recall a couple. I attribute this mainly to the number of overall UL fans in Lexington. That number is FAR lower than the number of UK fans who live in Louisville. A large percentage of the commuter students to UL are actually UK fans who are from Louisville and didn’t want to go away to school. I was close to making that mistake myself but just couldn’t do it. Enjoyed my time in Lexington very much!

70. Mr. Diamond Eye
    6:04 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

As a current freshman at UofL, I can’t say that I have seen these signs yet. However, I have run into at least 40 UK fans, all of whom I whisper to/talk to/yell at from across the street/initiate some sort of conversation with. UofL gear outweighs UK gear of course, but BBN is still heavily present on the Belknap Campus. I haven’t been harassed though.

71. Ekublue
    6:42 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I usee to wear my UK coat to red barn parties UofL players attended while I went to JCC in the early 90s and no one said nothing then transferred to UK in 92 and hung with UofL fans from back home and they never wore gear. Transferred to EKU (almer mater) and saw alot of UK gear too but we also wore EKU gear. Now I work at the Yum Center and a few people wear UK gear I wear a uniform but have mines on under it Go Big Blue!!!

72. Old Number
    6:49 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

UK has no part-time enrollment component to the law school (by ABA rule you can’t work full-time and go to law school full-time)… so, to U of L Law I go- As far as I can tell, the majority of folks in my class cheer for UK. Thus far there has not been one day on campus that I have not seen numerous students with UK gear on… GO CATS

73. UK-ateland
    6:55 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I went to UK when I started college and had to transfer to UofL because UK didn’t have my major (Dental Hygiene). I proudly wore some form of UK gear everyday to class. One night I was stopped on my way to class by two of their basketball players. They told me I had the wrong sweatshirt on and that I needed to take it off. Ha! Like that was going to happen. I made SURE to wear as much blue as possible whenever I was out. Can’t help but represent the best university this state has! Go Cats!!

74. The Juggernaut
    6:56 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I went into the Lowe’s on Nicholasville Rd. in Lexington one day a couple of years ago to grab something. When I was checking out the cashier said “You’re wearing a UK t-shirt, can I assume you are a UK fan?” I said “Yeah I am. Why are you asking?” She said “That girl over there [she pointed to another Lowe’s employee] played ball for UofL and she made a bet with me that at least 50% of the people that came through here today would be UofL fans.” I laughed and asked her what the tally was up to that point. The cashier got this big smile on her face and said “So far it is 73-2 in favor of UK.” I guess UofL people really buy that “the state is split 50/50 between UK and UofL” junk they sell up there in Loserville.

75. Mike
    7:19 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I see maybe one U of L shirt on campus daily…and i always assume they’re wearing it ironically.

76. saki7
    7:33 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I finished grad school in ’06, but up to that point don’t remember seeing any Cardinal gear – ever.

77. Lovely
    8:37 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

My friend was wearing an Arkansas coat today (like a ski jacket.) Of course I had to ask where he got it and why. He said it had gotten a lot of attention.

78. Rollin'
    8:47 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I see maybe 1 U of L shirt a week. If that, but I think its the same dude.

79. Rollin'
    8:48 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Oh and I might see 1 red shirt a day even if it has nothing do with with baby brother. We just don’t wear red.

80. New Jortsey
    9:27 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I wore a UK hat to my orientation at UofL. They offered me a hat and t-shirt in a trade in front of a crowd of people. I declined.

81. meagatronKSR
    9:28 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I LOVE THIS POST! THIS IS A MINOR PROBLEM ON UKS CAMPUS & IT IS A HUGE ANNOYANCE. WHY WOULD YOU WEAR RIVAL SCHOOL ATTIRE-JUST GO THERE!

82. TakeThatOff
    9:39 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I attended UL from 1999-2003. Had one professor tell a student take off this UK hat or leave the class. He laughed, but the professor was serious…I’m talking to you Dr Ulr**h…

83. MNCat
    9:55 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I went to Morehead State when UK won the national championship in ’98. MSU’s campus went INSANE. There were no couch burnings, but the whole campus partied throughout the night. In Kentucky, people grow up UK fans. That doesn’t change because you go to MSU, EKU, or WKU. Especially because most years (at least when I was in college) those schools were usually irrelevant even within their own leagues.

84. say what!
    10:12 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I am a transfer student from UL and I am now a junior at UK. I went to Louisville on a scholarship my freshman year and hated it!!! It was an ugly, rude (the people), and dirty campus. So I decided to come to UK and have loved every minute of living in Lexington. But while at UofL I saw a ton of people on a daily basis wearing UK gear and the UL fans would get so mad about it. Here at UK I hardly ever see someone wearing UL gear. If you ask me it’s because it’s easy to fall in love with this University (UK)as a whole. People who are Louisville fans who go here convert real quick because UK is easy to fall in love with, as to where the only thing for people who are UK fans who go to Louisville to fall in love with is the fact they are on scholarship because it’s easier to get a scholarship at UL because its not as academically competitive as UK. Hence why they continue to where UK gear on UL’s campus. UK as a whole (academics, campus, sports, etc…) is 1000 times better than UL could ever think about being. And this is coming from someone who was once a die hard card, who to this day can’t realize why he was such an idiot!

85. Lindsay
    10:45 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I’m currently a UofL student and I see and wear UK apparel all the time.

I also have a “BEAT LOUISVILLE” button on my backpack. GO CATS!

86. notv
    10:50 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

i wonder what they would do to find out that current UL students write for KSR…………….

87. Hrock
    10:56 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

People saying they see one UL shirt a week at UK are certainly under exaggerating. You will see significantly more than that in a day in limited time on campus. I’ve worn UL apparel around without ever having a problem with anyone. To the lil’ guy claiming that story about “The Ville” shirt in the Johnson Center…please…

88. theSkinny81
    11:03 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

^ haha…. this guy….

I live in downtown Lexington, and I RARELY see UL gear.

89. Hrock
    11:33 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Congratulations on that buddy. If “rarely” is, by your definition, not one in ten people then your damn right. That’s why it’s the University of Louisville, not U of Lexington. Bottom line – UK has more fans in the state than U of L, and has far more in Louisville than UL has in Lexington. But, UL fans own the city of Louisville 70/30, fact (Eric Crawford of Courier Journal has researched it himself), and underselling UL fans in Lexington is silly. There ARE UL license plates, UL apparel, bumper stickers, you name it in Lexington. You have the larger, more rabid fan base no doubt. No need to exaggerate on facts.

90. UK Senior
    11:56 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

UL shirts are less common than UNC shirts on the UK campus

91. Tom
    2:40 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

As a student at UofL and fellow Cats fan i have not seen one of these signs on campus. Additionally, i rarely ever see other cats fans wearing uk gear on campus. And to be honest UofL offers a better education than UK such as their business school and Speed School of Engineering. But hey…Go Cats

92. u of L grad
    7:37 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

I attended the university of louisville for college I own 19 UK t shirts and every day for two weeks would have on a different shirt or hoodie, I’m 6 foot 250, only had one person ever say anything to me, I walked out of the sac, and a UL cheerleader asked me why I was wearing a uk hat, to which I replyed, lets get coffee tomorrow and I will explain myself, never talked to her again! It was worth a shot!

93. dude
    8:32 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

I’m a UK alum (class of 2000), and now am working on another degree at UofL. Have always been a huge CATS fan, and hate the dirty birds. I was shocked when I first started at UofL to see so much UK gear work proudly around campus(as I don’t recall seeing hardly any Cards gear while at UK). I wear my blue often (UK hat today as a matter of fact) and have never had any issues.

94. BigBlue1976
    9:54 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

That Alabama fan tea-bagging the drunken LSU fan in the video linked above has been areested for lewd conduct and sexual battery!

95. Catsfando
    11:08 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

Try Trompeters or Sysco distributors in Louisville for about $50 to $60 a box with I think 12 to 15 sheets of pizza in them. Cheese, Pepperoni, or Sausage. We sell them at our little league, exactly the sane as school lunch pizza. You will need a freezer. Check with your local food distributors.

96. carlos toomer
    11:32 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

I’d avoid wearing Morehead State and Drexel gear also.

97. theSkinny81
    11:49 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

#90, LMAO, im not “exaggerating on facts”. theres no underselling here. i SERIOUSLY NEVER SEE UL GEAR. once in a while an alumni licence plate, but thats about it…

and btw, what does Crawfords research in Louisville have to do with Lexington?

98. Catsfando
    12:27 pm January 20, 2012 Permalink

My wife is a U.K. alum and this story took place in the late 70’s. My wife and I and my brother and his wife along with my sister and her husband all decided to attend the U.K.I.T. My whole family is Big Blue die hard fans except for my younger brother, he’s a dirty, filthy Card fan out of spite. As we were packing to go to Lexington for the trip I asked my brother if he wanted to borrow some U.K. gear to wear to the Tourney. Of course being the fool he was,(this was right after the state legislature voted into law a bill forcing U.K. to play the Dirty Birds and tempers were running high in Lexington.) he said he was going to wear his U.L. stuff. Rupp had just been open a couple of years and I told him that since U.L. was not playing I wouldn’t be surprised if someone called him out on his wearing his U.L. crap to U.K.’s own tournament. He blew it off of course and I told my sister in law that he was on his own. Having never been to Rupp before he had no Idea what to expect. Sure enough, we had no more gotten through the turnstiles than people started making comments. Loud comments, aimed directly at my brother, 3 huge guys had him cornered and were really about to wreck his world when his wife asked my brother in law and myself to do something to help him. Of course we took quick action and approached the 3 guys who were getting ready to change my brothers features. We told them that he was slightly retarded, and had no idea whose teams gear he was wearing and that he had been dressed by his mother and we would make sure he got some U.K. attire right away. We took him to a souvenir stand and he got a U,K, sweatshirt that I know he absolutely hated and wore it the rest of that day and the next. My brother in law and myself laughed all weekend at him and his U.L. attitude as he ate crow all weekend. He brought it all on himself and was totally embarrassed. That was over 30 ago and he still is a die hard Cods fan, just doesn’t like Ricky 3 stacks anymore…..lol