Emmanuel Mudiay says Cal has a big heart

Emmanuel_Mudiay_838_-_adidas_Nations_600_399

Top 2014 point guard Emmanuel Mudiay is the latest elite recruit to do a blog for USA Today’s High School site, and in his latest installment, opens up about some of the coaches recruiting him. What does he have to say about Cal? Take it way, Mr. Mudiay…

Then I’ll talk to Coach (John) Calipari and you’d think that we talk about how I can help Kentucky and basketball things like that, but we don’t.

He moreso talks about what I should want to be in life period. He tells me that I’ve got to know what my goals are for life; whether it’s helping others or things like that. The thing I really love about Coach Cal is that he’s got a big heart. I’m the same way.

For the past year or so, Cal has really focused on the “changing lives” aspect of recruitment, and it’s nice to see that players like Mudiay not only respect, but respond to that. So often top coaches go in and practically beg players to come to their schools (cough, Crean), but Cal is selling something much different: come play for me and we’ll change you and your family’s lives.

Also, in case you were wondering how Mudiay got all that great footwork, he says that he played soccer growing up in the Congo. Mudiay is also very spiritual, and says that coaches will text him scripture every so often.

[USATodayHS: Emmanuel’s Manual]

12 Comments for Emmanuel Mudiay says Cal has a big heart

1. London
    4:06 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

Kid plays like John Wall, but not as slow and seems to have a very good control of the game pace.

2. London
    4:07 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

Not as Fast*

3. I Say
    4:10 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

Mudiay’s quote about Cal “Bringing the dog out in you” is one of my all time favorites. I really cant see this kid going anywhere but UK. I hope he commits early to get the ball rolling on this class with Towns.

4. Maxwell
    4:31 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

“coaches will text him scriptures”, yeah….like Nick Nolte was “southern baptist” in Blue Chips hahahahahhahaha

5. Seven Eight Nine
    4:32 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

So excited to see this kid play. Sounds like we already have him locked up. Julius Randle made similar comments about he and Cal being a lot alike and see how that turned out

6. BOSOX
    4:41 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

This kid is a “Stone cold killer!!!” Has that UK swag… I would like to see him in that Kentucky blue

7. London, Ky
    4:42 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

@1&2 – thanks for the correction, had me worried for a minute there. You from Laurel County or across the Pond?

@3 – agree – BBN had enough drama with a certain player in the last few months/years. If Emmanuel thinks UK is for him, I hope he commits and avoids the stress. If not, I wish him well, I like his game and his outlook on life. Hope to see him in Lexington with Cal & the Cats.

8. TDog
    4:51 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

I also read that UK and Baylor were his two favorite schools so considering that he should be an easy get.

9. UKNation
    4:57 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

He isn’t very “spiritual” he is a strong Christian. There is a huge difference.

10. Bobbum man
    5:33 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

Wonder at what point Baylor starts throwing trash all over his yard

11. Cats,Cats,Cats
    5:51 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

So if he comes, Okafor and Jones still going elsewhere?

12. Duke Sucks
    6:59 pm May 24, 2013 Permalink

11 Yes! Mudiay and Jones will NOT play on the same team. I can’t really say I blame them. Mudiay and Alexander would be a good duo if cal can pull it off.