Emily’s Friday News and Views

Love is beautiful.  Love is the expression of one’s values, the greatest reward you can earn for the moral qualities you have achieved in your character and person, the emotional price paid by one man for the joy he receives from the virtues of another.  Love is a force more formidable than any other.  Love makes us do crazy things like buy expensive flowers that will die in a week, stalk Facebook messages, park outside apartment complexes for hours at a time, and drive to Chicago on weekends (*cough* Drew The Employee *cough*).  And, sometimes, love makes us stand in the woods and lip synch Brian Adams songs while pretending to play guitar.

That’s why we’re here tonight, right now, to get behind a young man who is in pursuit of such love.  He’s in search of Emily, his one and only.  It’s clear in this video that Emily is his rock, his Michael Kidd-Gilchrist — that one you can’t be without.  Watch as he sings mumbles, “Look into my eyes, you’ll see…” to Emily, wherever she may be.

I don’t know Emily, but I think she needs to give him a chance.  And if she won’t give him a chance, she should write the News and Views next time it’s my turn.

To the goods…

It’s been rather quiet around the Commonwealth lately, a little too quiet for it to be two days before the game.  I suppose Louisville fans are worried about entering the game as the favorite, like we were in the Final Four, while Kentucky fans are busy praying to the basketball gods that we see the same Alex Poythress we saw during his stretch of four 20-point games.  If that Alex Poythress shows up, Kentucky has a shot at pulling off the upset.  If timid Alex Poythress shows up, I’m afraid there will be an #L1C4 epidemic across the state.  It will take a near-perfect game from the Cats to get the win in this one, and that perfect game rests heavily on the shoulders of Poythress.  We gotta have 40 minutes of Alex.

Some late breaking news from the Louisville training room: Rick Pitino said on his radio show Thursday night that Gorgui Dieng may not start after all.  One day after saying Dieng will 100% play and start, Rick backpedaled and said he is “leaning towards” starting Dieng.  Dieng’s parents have made the trip from Senegal to watch him so there’s no way he doesn’t see the court.  It’ll be the first time they’ve seen their son play basketball.

Who wants a position-by-position breakdown???  YOU DO!

Ryan Harrow vs. Peyton Siva

Harrow is getting better every game but he’s got a long way to go before he’s Peyton Siva.  Siva is one of the best in the country, and with four losses to UK in his career, he is hungrier than ever.

Advantage: Louisville

Julius Mays vs. Russ Smith

These two players are polar opposites.  Mays is a smart player, a team leader, and he only pulls the trigger when he’s open.  He’s Uncle Julius, the glue that holds Kentucky together.  Russ, on the other hand, is wild, often careless with the ball, and will shoot whenever he wants, which is often.  He plays like he’s being controlled by an Xbox controller.  With that said, Smith is also a national player of the year candidate and an incredible scorer.  He’s also developed into quite the 3-point shooter this season.

Advantage: Louisville

Archie Goodwin vs. Wayne Blackshear

Goodwin is the better player of the two but Blackshear has been much more consistent this season.  He’s coming in hot, too, having scored a combined 35 points in Louisville’s last two games.  Plus, Blackshear benefits from playing in Louisville’s balanced offense — when Russ is passing — while Goodwin has to force shots at times because he’s Kentucky’s primary option.

Advantage: PUSH

Alex Poythress vs. Chane Behanan

Poythress and Behanan are very similar players in size, strength and ability, so this matchup will depend on what Alex Poythress does.  I’m giving him the slight edge because I think he’ll show up, stay out of foul trouble, and dominate.

Don’t let us down, Alex.

Advantage: Kentucky

Nerlens Noel vs. Gorgui Dieng

Athleticism: Nerlens
Experience: Gorgui
Offense: Gorgui
Defense: Nerlens

Advantage: PUSH

Wiltjer/Polson/Cauley-Stein vs. Hancock/Harrell/Ware/Van Treese/Price

Depth is going to be problem.  A big problem.

Advantage: Louisville

That was fun.

If you had told me Thursday morning that I’d be on the edge of my seat watching the Belk Bowl, I would’ve asked you who sold you the bath salts and what kind of a deal you got.  Great game between two teams I’ve never cared about.

After hearing John Short’s phone call to Tom Dupree on The Matt Walsh Show, I think it’s time we get behind him for the 2016 Presidential race.  NO.  MORE.  TAXES.

He’s a great American.

One hour until Matt Jones makes his Skype debut on ESPN UNITE!  Tune in to ESPNU at midnight to see Matt talk Kentucky-Louisville from his bedroom.

Kentucky Sports Radio radio will be live from Fan Outfitters in Louisville at The Summit tomorrow morning.  I will be joining Matt at the store for two hours of anti-Louisville radio in the final show before the big game.  Stop by and say hello if you’re in the area.

That’ll do it for now.

Keep Calm and Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for Emily’s Friday News and Views

1. Big Blue 66
    11:04 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Siva sucks, if you think hes one of the best in the country, watch the NBA draft in June and tell me how high he goes.

2. caytsmayn
    11:06 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

‘near perfect game’ drew? I think people are underrating our team just a tad. Louisville’s good this season, but they’re not that good.

3. dagnabbit
    11:09 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

drew you used to be one of the better ksr writers. But recently you have sucked like the rest of them

4. BBN
    11:11 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Drew….Look in the mirror and scream “WE GOT THIS.” good……Now BELIEVE…. Mr.negative nancy

5. Drew Franklin
    11:12 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

3. – Thank you?

6. iwant#12
    11:18 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Gonna be in the Florence KY area sat. Any good places to catch the game?

7. BlueDoug
    11:19 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

I like Drew always have. I think you are wrong here though. Since when has depth meant anything to Cal coached UK teams. We played 7 guys two years ago and smacked them. Handling the press then being able to get in our half court sets will be the test in this one. Now we could see some foul trouble as refs have itchy trigger fingers to keep this one from getting sloppy.

8. Bradley
    11:25 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Smh. If I didn’t know better I’d think the Yum Center already has an NBA team. Siva is a slightly above average D1 PG. Russ Smith is a volume shooter who can get hot…once every 2 weeks. We are the underdogs for sure, but it won’t take any Herculean effort for the Cats to walk out with a win. Certainly not a near perfect one. If we get a near perfect effort we’ll win by 20.

9. Walter Sobchak
    11:26 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

that first video would be hilarious if some retard hadn’t put all that stupid commentary on it.

10. Bradley
    11:31 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

7. You’re right. Depth is ridiculously overblown. 5 players are on the court at a time. The game constantly stops. TV timeouts every 4 minutes, coaches timeouts, halftime etc. not to mention, it’s a major mistake to think a team with 5 studs is somehow at a disadvantage to a team with 10 slightly above average players. Give me quality. You can keep your quantity.

11. tyson
    11:44 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Who is John Short?

12. Chicago Chris
    11:59 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

If John Short isn’t filing in the 47%, he needs a new accountant.

13. Brad in Portland
    12:11 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

This Unite show is difficult to watch. When is Matt on? C’mon, man.

14. Huh?
    12:17 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Drew, do you really believe Siva is one of the best in the country? Is this Franklin sarcasm? If not, I’ll just say, you’re a sweet kid…

15. jwild
    12:20 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Has Matt been on yet? I just tuned in to this show and can’t watch much more of it.

16. Badams
    12:40 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Siva is a good pg, but it took him 4 years to get there. He won’t even be drafted, I will be surprised if he is. He will play overseas somewhere. I don’t think it’s impossible for us to beat them either, but our guys have to show up to play, play team defense, cut back on stupid mistakes, and make their lay ups.

17. tyson
    12:43 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Matt, good job on Unite.

18. cats1068
    12:46 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Matt smoked that Chance guy. The best U of L can come up with is they are the most profitable program. That sure hasn’t helped them much lately in winning championships has it? That’s little bro for ya. Great job, Matt!

19. SeaCat
    12:54 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

I am very concerned about the UofL
    game. The Cats peaked against Duke
    and have gotten worse ever since.
    Noel is our star and he can’t get a
    double double. Cal can’t figure out how
    to play the Twin Tower game. Alex and Archie
    seem weak between the ears. Mays and Wiltjer
    are too slow. Harrow maybe, but I fear the
    Card defense will send him into a panic.
    Polson and Noel doing the pick and roll may
    be our only hope…

20. David
    1:20 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Can Louisville beat UK? Yeah. Will they? I don’t think so. I won’t be shocked either way. I predict UK will win.

21. tdogg40330
    2:15 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

#8 said it best, if UK plays near perfect it will be a blowout in favor
    of the CATS. I think this one wil be close, our shot blocking might be
    the difference …. CATS by 5

22. Todd Walters
    3:37 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

This breakdown is off base.. The phrase “but he is no Peyton Siva” made me literally LOL..Siva in his 4th year is above average not elite.. Harrow has more talent and way more potential. If he keeps his momentum going he should win that matchup.. And as far as the bench goes.. UK has two players that come off the bench that are better than anyone UL brings off the bench. So I fail to see how they have an advantage there? Because they have more guys they can bring in? Sounds like a Louisville fans logic.

23. Big Whoop
    4:39 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

I think too many are buying into Pomeroy’s 80% chance of a UL win. IMO, the home team should always start off with an 80% chance to win. I’ve gone over all the stats for both teams and you could not ask for a better matchup between two teams. They are about as even as you can get. So, unless UK comes out like wilted flowers, I see this game as a 3 to 8 point win either way. Free throws could most likely be the difference in the game which is a UL advantage.

24. Bledsoe's Biceps
    5:31 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

“Siva is one of the best in the country.”. Best what? Surely you weren’t implying best PG. This is one of those “most ridiculous manner possible” things isn’t it? Good job.

25. sally bob
    6:32 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

this will be our sweetest upset win next to tosu. ‘siva one of the best pg’s?’ rush now to the emergency room to get your stomach pumped

26. GoCats2
    6:53 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Obviously we have to play better than we have so far but UL does not scare me in the least. I definitely think we have the better players but they have experience and are playing more like a team than we are right now. IF we play together and do not have a lot of turnovers we win.

27. Matt
    7:28 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Depth is by far the most overrated thing in college basketball, and as UK fans we should realize that, as we have proven time and again these past few seasons that if a team with limited depth doesn’t get into foul trouble then depth doesn’t matter. With that said, thy absolutely have to stay out of foul trouble.

28. cracka
    8:10 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft was updated a week ago (latest i could find) and they have 7 pgs going in the first round, another 7 in the 2nd … none of them are named peyton siva or ryan harrow

29. Mike the cameraman
    8:17 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Video = Classic! The comments had me crying I was laughing so hard.

30. Jack
    8:40 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Completely disagree with Pouthress advantage over Behanan. Behanan will dominate him, Poythress is way to passive. I hope I’m wrong though

31. GoVote
    8:49 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

Over on the Elizabethtown Sports Park’s facebook page there is a poll asking who will win Saturday’s match up, UofL is winning! Ok only 17 people have voted, so far, but lets see BBN in full force

32. A
    9:58 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

John Short is an idiot and I could care less how many of you get pi__ed off by that. I’m sure he has a great heart, but he’d tell a flippin ped__hile that they’re a great American and say that UK will win by 50 bigons tomorrow.

33. Monty
    6:54 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Lol at advantage on defense going to Noel over Dieng. Any rational college basketball fan knows this is a stupid statement. Dieng has been one of the premier defenders and shot blockers in the nation. With him Uofl is the best defensive unit bar none. Noel is great too but he is inexperienced and will new to prove himself in conference play and tournament before you make that statement Drew