Eloy Vargas is excited about his opportunity with the Knicks

With the New York Knicks losing a few key big men to retirement, along with Chris Copeland to free agency, a small opening may exist for a hardworking and tough young big man. The 6-11 Eloy Vargas hopes that he can potentially fulfill that role, while also fulfilling his dream of playing in the NBA.

“I’m just thankful and lucky to have the opportunity,” Vargas told SNY.tv. “I’m really excited about the opportunity that this team is giving me to showcase my skill level with them and help me develop my game at the next level.”

“They saw something in me when I was there trying out that no other team saw. I’m just thankful to be part of this team in the summer league. This is why I work so hard to get to this level.”

Vargas was limited to reserve minutes while at Kentucky, playing behind guys like Anthony Davis. Vargas averaged 0.8 points and 1.7 rebounds during the 2011-2012 national championship run. If Vargas becomes yet another former Calipari player to make the NBA, in a reserve role such as that, can we all just bow down to the #KentuckyEffect?

[ Kentucky’s Vargas Excited for Shot with Knicks via ZagsBlog.com ]

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

15 Comments for Eloy Vargas is excited about his opportunity with the Knicks

1. D. Bryan Brothers
    1:16 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Is it me, or does does Billy Jean King look like an olden version of Eddie Munster?

2. Baseball Cat
    1:17 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

One of the best baseball players in the country just flipped his commitment from UK to UofL and this site doesn’t even mention it. If we lost a hoops player to the tards, every “writer” on here would have a post about it.

3. State of KY
    1:18 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Did Eloy try to glorify an abortion rights clown who advocates abortion of 7 month old, viable fetuses on Independence Day? No? Stupid, redneck Dominican Republicans!

4. Air Force Chris
    1:22 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Since when did Eloy play for UK behind Anthony Davis? Did I miss something? Nevermind, facts are optional.

5. Air Force Chris
    1:24 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Baseball Cat I don’t remember ever seeing news about a baseball recruit on here…who cares about baseball!!!

6. Mc
    1:35 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Was Eloy on the 2011-2012 National Championship team #4? The same team that Anthony Davis was on. Hmmm..

7. Jorts The Facts
    1:39 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

If Eloy can potentially make the Knicks roster…then it would be very likely that Jorts could too. Is Josh H (aka Jorts) under contract in Asia? Happy for Eloy, but Jorts has more skeelz.

8. Pizza Rose
    1:41 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

#2, Baseball Cat, that news sucks. I’m with you though. This site needs to do a better job with all KENTUCKY sports including Baseball, Tennis, Swimming, Golf, Gymnastics, etc. ad infinitum. BTW, surely AF Chris jests.

9. No one cares
    1:47 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

#2 This site caters to what the MAJORITY of fans care about and that is basketball and football. Why write about something that few care to read?

10. For Real?
    1:50 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

#8 and #2 read the description under “Kentucky Sports Radio” it reads University of Kentucky basketball, football, and recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible”. Now did that say baseball anywhere? When they do put baseball it’s a nice little side note not something that we want every piece of news about, especially recruiting, I’ve never heard anyone talk about baseball recruiting.

11. For Real?
    1:54 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Forgot my “

12. Proctor N. Gamble
    2:09 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Tenor, you are co-rect. It does say that. However, occasionally there is an article or two in re otro sports. Perhaps its high time that Matt upgrades the vision statement to meet the needs of the people and the business that is UofK sports; Mitch would approve.

13. Confused
    2:22 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Well I hate to point out the obvious, but if the mission statement is “University of Kentucky basketball, football, and recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.” Wouldn’t you agree that the loss if a baseball RECRUIT falls under the RECRUITING part of the statement? If the recruit was that good then I agree, there should have been mention of it somewhere on this site.

14. For Real?
    6:53 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Come on, it’s implied that recruiting news refers to the aforementioned University of Kentucky basketball and football programs.

15. Confused
    8:57 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Who ever said it was implied? you know what happens when you assume For Real?