Election Day: UK Edition

Assuming you’re in the Electoral College.

Well, today’s the day that all the important decisions get made, so why not celebrate it with a little University of Kentucky flair?  Voice your opinions (respectfully) on the issues that really matter to the programs around campus.

Better Flat Top: Noel or Harrow?

A few weeks ago, this wouldn’t have even been a competition.  I think it’s still a fairly easy one; Nerlens has had more time to work on it, and started the whole thing.  But you have to respect Ryan’s late surge.  He’s come on strong, and has the fade to prove it.

Better UK Rapper Representative: Drake or Jay-Z?

There’s no doubt that Jay-Z is a bigger name than Drake; Hova’s been around for a while and has changed the hip hop landscape.  Plus, you know, Beyonce.  But Drake’s connection with the University is far tighter, he’s coached at scrimmages and has his own championship ring. So which is more important, relationship with the program, or overall star power?

Better Exhibition Opponent: Northwood or Transy?

Northwood seemed to provide a little more challenge for the Cats, and probably helped them more overall in getting ready for the season opener against Maryland.  But Transy is just down the road, and gives those who are both UK fans and Transy alums a unique opportunity to see their two schools square off.  Which is more beneficial?

Who Will Have the Better Offense This Season: Men’s or Women’s Hoops?

The fellas had a great showing last night against Transylvania, winning by 46, but a lot of that came on the defensive end of the floor.  Although Nerlens went 7/8, Wiltjer missing all of his threes doesn’t help this team.  The ladies, meanwhile, scored 113 points against Bellarmine, while limiting them to only 33.  The offensive output was so good, folks in attendance got some free Cane’s to celebrate it.

Better Football Coach Hire: Big Name With Baggage, or Potential Rising Star?

We know that a guy like Petrino or Tressel can handle their X’s and O’s, but we don’t know if they can handle themselves off the field.  Conversely, a squeaky clean guy like Dykes (so far as we know), won’t make us worry about his personal life, but he’s yet to show that he can make it as a head coach in a tough conference like the SEC.  Which kind should Mitch be looking for?

Finally, Which Makes You Happier Today: Choosing a President, or Just Having a Day Off?

Personally, I’m team #SleepIn on this one.  If you didn’t get today off, that’s lame.  I would complain.  But have fun voicing your opinion (at the polls, where it really matters, instead of on an internet comment section).  Or exercising your right not to vote. It’s whatever.

Article written by Corey Nichols

71 Comments for Election Day: UK Edition

1. Typical American
    9:04 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I’m a weak-minded person. If I’m not better off now that I was 4 years prior, I need someone else to blame.

2. Tooty
    9:06 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Top of the morning to you all! Wow – feels like a great day to get rid of a marxist! GO VOTE ppl!

3. Bob Loblaw
    9:06 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Always vote. Many people died to give you that right.

4. btowncatfan
    9:08 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Day off! In the real world, people are still working just like every other day of the week.

5. lexslamman
    9:08 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Today Americans will vote to support their president. Today, Barack Obama will win a second term. Also, Democrats will hold the senate 54-46.

6. Musehobo
    9:09 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

3) Too bad they had to die for morons like Tooty^ as well.

7. EDUCATED PEOPLE
    9:09 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

ROMNEY

8. wilDCat
    9:11 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Noel has the better flat top, but give Harrow more time to catch up.
    Drake is the better representative, but Jay-Z is a cooler fan to have.
    Transy was the better exhibition, for a lot of reasons.
    Women will have the better offense.
    Would rather have a potential rising star as a coach. We don’t need a top 10 program we just need to be competitive. Would rather ditch the high risk for more reliable performance even if it’s not as great.
    And people with real jobs don’t get the day off, so that last question is crap.

9. Catlogic15
    9:11 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Real change comes today. Romney wins! This day couldn’t come fast enough.

10. I Yell Cartwright
    9:12 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

All I know is that I had a great time asking people the last few days “are you going to watch the Tranny exhibition?”

11. B. Obama
    9:13 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Yo yo yo, my peeps. Just remember, free sh!t for everyone… well, if ya vote for me!

I’m Robin Hood, b!tches…

12. Rockfield, KY
    9:14 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Neither candidates are worthwhile. One is completely out of touch with America and the other will sink us further into record debt and completely collapse our economy. Neither will ever make any real change. The only candidates who would (Johnson, Paul) are unelectable bc American’s generally do not follow issues that affect their lives. But everyone can sure as hell tell you who Honey Boo Boo and Snooki are.

13. Barber'sUnion
    9:14 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Time to get rid of the flat tops . . . they both look stupid, at least Noel’s was somewhat original.

14. TheBigToe
    9:15 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Isn’t it crazy that a $2 billion election will come down to basically 4 counties in Ohio?? Twilight Zone stuff. GO VOTE!! Use your brain, not the news media.

15. UNEDUCATED PEOPLE
    9:18 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

ROMNEY

16. Harry
    9:18 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Voted earlier for Obama, the other party has out dated stand on social issues.

17. SeoulCat
    9:21 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

#12, amen to that. Both candidates are awful. Too bad Johnson has no shot at winning. Well, four more years of living abroad for me!

18. jjbalaan
    9:21 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

That picture of Petrino makes him look like “eric the actor”

19. Rockfield, KY
    9:21 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Social issues vs a sinking economy on the verge of collpase. Which is worse? Save our economy, save our society.

20. bluefan
    9:21 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

1. Nerlens in a landslide due to the UK cut in the back!
    2. Drake because of the whole GED thing
    3. Transy/2nd half
    4. Petrino! Only way we’ll EVER compete in the sec

21. Jordan
    9:22 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone know where to see the video of WCS getting dunked on? It was a big deal on the live blog, but I havent seen it yet.

22. MartyFeldmanEyes
    9:23 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Get the whole team involved….Win the championship…and we can call them the “Flat Top Five.”

23. KSRgraduateschool
    9:25 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

How can I reveal my idoicy today?…Oh, I know, enter into a political “debate” 1-2 sentences at a time on a Sports blog.

24. Rap Music
    9:27 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

make old_school mad and vote for me!

25. Magnum's mustache
    9:36 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I could care less about social issues. I vote the economy and national defense. For me, Romney is the far better candidate. Hope is not a plan and the change has been for the worse. Obama was the least qualified candidate for President in the past 100 years and it showed.

26. Tom in Rockcastle
    9:42 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Around lunch i will be going to vote and i will be voting for Obama.

27. David Elswick
    9:42 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Voting for either of these parties is an example of insanity – do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

Both parties have been in power intermittently for decades and both have driven the country to its current state.

28. Trent
    9:43 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

We didn’t get a day off in TN because our school system sucks ass and scheduled a teachers inservice. Yet another reason I hate Tennessee!!

29. I'm Batman
    9:43 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Who wants to bet that Matt will go on for a segment about how great Obama is if he wins, but won’t let any talk of Romney happen if Obama loses. He only lets you talk if you agree with him.

30. Head Bussa
    9:45 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

19 — You are very naive if you think the President has so much control of the economy. I laugh everytime I hear people talk like Romney will just come in and make our country prosperous again.

31. MagicUnderDrawers
    9:46 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

#29 Well, since Obama wins in a landside you won’t have to worry about it!!

32. Rockfield, KY
    9:49 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

30. At least trying to pump the brakes on the escalating debt is better than flooring the gas pedal.

33. BradinMississippi
    9:51 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

The democrats take the early lead until the republicans get off work.

34. Anarchist
    9:51 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

#12 is on the right track. Start thinking about what would happen if noone in america voted or if we all wrote in buggs bunny. We’d be screwed all the same. We don’t need a ruler or a ruling body. Just rules. And rules made by the people that have to abide by them. Equality and shared power for everyone.

35. Nick Papageorgio
    9:53 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

That’s one hell of a hug Drake has on Boogie…

36. Bronco Bama
    9:54 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

#28. Oh no, a teacher had to work today. You all get the whole summer off so just stfu.

37. BobbyPsNeckBrace
    9:56 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

“Please allow me to introduce myself
    I’m a man of wealth and taste
    I’ve been around for a long, long year…”

38. Rockfield, KY
    10:00 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

34. I’m extremely conservative (don’t consider myselft a Republican) and was talking with an extreme liberal this summer (doesn’t consider himself a democrat) and its crazy how much we agreed on. I want smaller government, less regulation, and more state control instead of federal. He was very nearly an anarchist and admitted as much. Crazy how that works.

39. Speak
    10:00 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I think there should be more politics on this site. So much more interesting than talking football. And just as painful

40. RYNO
    10:01 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

33) I got up early and voted BEFORE work, and yes, I voted Obama. Rather surprised at the outpouring of Kentucky dems on here!

41. Working
    10:04 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

A day off? What, are you in middle school?

42. Romney
    10:09 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I would like to thank Matt and KSR for all the love. You guys may just be responsible for getting me over the hump.

Thank you Matt, keep up the good work over there.

43. UKEngr
    10:10 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Man, only two candidates to choose, and so many topics. Good thing there are only two stances to have about all the topics and the two candidates are so nicely spilt down the line. Follow blindly folks! It’s the American way!

44. Barrak Obama
    10:13 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Free Escalades for everyone.

Be ‘big pimpn’ and vote for me!

45. kentuckyrules
    10:15 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

#40) FL dem here! Go ‘Cats – Let the R’s be confident today, at least they can be happy for a few more hours.

46. black dude
    10:15 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

So, I voted for Obama 4 years ago. He did as much for me as any Democrat I’ve voted for – nothing. I’m voting Republican and hope that more than 1% of my black brothers and sisters vote with me.

47. Rocky
    10:19 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Over the past four years the price of gasoline has doubled. Unemployment remains skyhigh and millions no longer even look for work.

The current administration vilify those who work hard to get ahead, while glorifying those who depend on the government for assistance.

As an individual that believes in self-reliance and hard work I pray for a change.

48. George Bush
    10:21 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

A) If Obama wins, will the democrats in 4 years still blame me (Bush) when Obama doesn’t turn the country around?

B) If Romney wins, will the democrats in 4 years blame Romney for turning the country around? (That was a trick question for all the affirmative action folks out there)

49. Right Choice
    10:22 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Thank God KY is a red state and our electoral votes will go that way cause you Obama cats are lost. Ohio don’t let us down we know the poor folks in Cincy and Cleveland want their free phones

50. f'ing stupid
    10:25 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Perhaps the stupidest phrase I have ever read: “UK Rapper Representative”. Really people, do we think that if Calipari doesn’t sell out to some uneducated wanna be profane poets that UK basketball recruiting, and thus our success itself, will suffer? LOL, puhleeze. I vote we give jerseys, championship rings and diplomas equally to country stars, heavy metal bands, and reality stars. I mean wouldn’t it be awesome to see Snooki sporting a UK jersey! Just think what that would do for the program!

51. f'ing stupid
    10:27 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

#47 gas prices plummeted over 20% in the last few weeks. So does that change your vote? People that believe a US President has much effect at all on gas prices do a fine job of showing their ignorance.

52. Rocky
    10:29 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

The current administration vilify the rich. “Rich” here is defined as those who make $250,000 a year or more. Obama wants us to see these rich as old men who pass wealth down from one generation to the next. In actuality, 80% og the so-called “rich” are first-generation wealthy.

The vast majority of the “rich” have worked really hard and have sacrificed in order to get where they are. I know of several individuals who barely survived for years while meeting payroll and keeping their businesses afloat.

Anybody who says they should have a “right” to these people’s money isnt fit to be an American.

53. Rocky
    10:34 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

51, are you saying that Obama is responsible for the 20% drop? Only an idiot would allow their country to become dependent on foreign oil when we have plenty.

Notice what happened off Louisiana. Drillers were forced to move away from shore and drill under a mile of water. They did not have the technology to plug the leak quick; therefore, millions of barrels of oil escaped and polluted the oceans. A well in 500 feet of water could have been capped in one-twentieth of the time. Dumb politicians don’t know this though.

54. roflcopters
    10:52 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I love KY people telling us they voted for Obama.
    You might as well say, “I just voted for Joker Phillips.” because your vote doesn’t count.
    You live in Kentucky – if you didn’t vote for Romney, you wasted your time driving to the polls…rofl

55. 51
    11:02 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

#53 Sarcasm dude. What I’m saying is the price of oil (gas) is HUGELY due to speculation, supply and demand, refinery capacity and has little to do with presidential politics. In short, people that expect gas prices to drop to $1.50 per gallon if Romney is elected or if ANWAR is opened for drilling don’t get it. No, I am NOT saying Obama is responsible for the 20% drop anymore than he is responsible for increased prices. By the way, for the first time since 1949, the United States exported more gasoline, heating oil and diesel fuel last year than it imported. Bloomberg writes that to offset weak U.S. demand, refiners exported 439,000 barrels a day more than were imported the year before. In 2010, daily imports averaged 269,000 barrels, according to the Petroleum Supply Monthly report.

Imports of crude oil and related products fell 11% last year, reaching a level not seen since 1995.

link: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/02/us-exported-more-gasoline-than-imported-last-year/1

56. Mitt
    11:07 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Vote for me and I will choose Louisville against Northwood for the 2013 NAtional Championship. Go shoot a touchdown girls. Yay for Mittatology

57. Big Al Rich
    11:27 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Please hire A football coach with a name unless you want to go 4-8 or 5-7 every year!! Its time to take a chance. Petrino!!!! I know he screwed up but wont again!!

58. TheEdshow
    11:30 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

My spin on Obamas Presidency is better than the handles on Ryan Harrow. Enjoyed this thread; a little Chris Matthews hard ball mixed with Kentucky Bball.

59. Mitt
    11:40 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Today I am a unicorn who loves Cuban cigars and my left side is painted blue and my right side is painted red. Go Cats! and Cards! and Blue Devils! and Vols! I am Everyman! I am the Eggman! I am the Walrus! Coocoocachoo!

60. MagicUnderDrawers
    11:45 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Southern Baptists voting MORMON??? Boy, you hilljacks are a LOT dumber than I thought you were!!

61. eastcoastcat
    12:18 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

NERLENS by far has the nicest flat-top not to mention he is a BEAST baller status FREAK on both ends of the court . point blank

62. ya'llscrazy
    12:34 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

We have to get a name, someone that can pull kids from Louisville, and bring kids from all over to build a quality program.

Get both, a hot shot name with big pull and bring in at least two or three up and comers looking for defense and offense co-ordinatiors, build some competition,

Until then Mitch should look to move UK to the ACC

63. Truth
    1:22 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

Obama is worse than Jimmy Carter. That is something I never thought could be possible. All you morons that think obama is great, likely thought Carter did a good job. We vote out the idiot today. Mitt will get over 300 electoral votes, bank on it libs.

64. eastcoastcat
    3:03 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

2.Jigga man is a much better representative–Barclays Center Classic
    3.PIKEVILLE COLLEGE or upike whatever the hell it is now
    4.Wildcats (and no not by the end of the season.)
    5.Let’s stick to BASKETBALL people
    6.BARACK the vote, coal is OUT, get our troops OUT, and let women have a choice when it comes to their lives.

65. NotFirst
    3:10 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

Obama going to win, which is unfortunate, because now women will be able to buy birth control and get abortions. That never would have happened with Mittler Romney.

66. bottom line
    3:16 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

Grape ape is out after tonight.

67. bleedblue10
    3:37 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

question should be, better flat top duo… nerlens and harrow or jazzy jeff and fresh prince http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/kron/default/will-smith-dj-jazzy-jeff–large-msg-125378468533.jpg

68. NotFirst
    4:33 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

The other side of the coin is that those who don’t want to get pregnant don’t have to.

Also, some people believe in the santity of life, and they do not want their tax dollars being used to fund funtions that they are abhored by.

69. Wildcatsteeler
    4:40 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

#68 Your tax dollars aren’t and won’t be uninformed tool.

70. Wildcatsteeler
    4:41 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

Vote Romney and not only will you not be off on this day anymore you’ll get fired if you complain about it. And your boss will tell you how to vote.

71. Chuck
    7:17 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

If we’d be lucky enough to get Dykes hopefully he’d bring his Defensive coordinator with him. His name is Tommy Spangler, a Georgia graduate and is considered one of the better young defensive coaches. Those that want the new coach to recruit Texas remember that Dykes is from Texas. Check Spangler’s bio on the Louisiana Tech football website.