Duke’s Mr. Nice Watch, Part 2

Much like BigSexyCat loves to post about Drew Franklin insulting Eastern Kentucky, so does JJ Redick like to post about his affinity for luxury watches. As discovered by a Deadspin tipster, Redick took to the Internet last year to share his love of Paneristi watches, writing an appreciative, heartfelt little ditty about what the Paneristi watch “community” means to him:

I’m fairly new to this forum- I discovered it back in June- and have only posted on here a dozen or so times (mostly wrist shots and a few pics of my small Panerai collection). Up until last week I had never met anyone from this community. However, I was headed to Northern California for my job this past Sunday so I decided to hit up Micah, who many of you know, because he made some straps for me and has always been very gracious and patient with all of my questions. Micah and I had just a few minutes to meet up but it was my pleasure to meet him and his beautiful wife and son. He was even kind enough to bring me a strap for my 372 (pictured below). After our meeting, I had to head up to Portland, OR for a few days (again for work) and Micah suggested I meet up with a couple of great Ristis in the Portland area, Howard L and Mike C.

It’s kind of like reading a successful eHarmony story, isn’t it? Seems like Lance Thomas isn’t the only former Dukie to appreciate a quality timepiece.

Article written by Kristen Geil

30 Comments for Duke’s Mr. Nice Watch, Part 2

1. Fake One
    10:12 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Which one does he love better, watches or abortions?

2. Wildcatsteeler
    10:18 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

With all the money he saved from the abortion contract with his ex he can buy numerous more luxury watches. 18 years of not having to pay child support will buy him a factory that makes them.

3. SeaCat
    10:30 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Watches are dead, who needs them with smart phones?

4. SeaCat
    10:32 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Watches are as dead as cameras…
    i mean 98% dead, not 100%.

5. Dwoos
    10:43 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Did redick go to uk, no he went to Duke. I hate Duke , so why are you posting about Duke. I would rather read a post about Allen Edwards taking a shit.

6. Ready 5
    10:51 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m having a difficult time understanding why anyone who visits ksr would be remotely interested in this story. In fact, I don’t understand why any person would find this interesting. What’s your angle? I’m not seeing it.

7. UK Blue Cat
    11:04 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

CATS AND FACTS KSR.

8. Sal Albanese
    11:09 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Ally

Great post as always.

Did you have formal training as a journalist or does it come naturally

9. JJ REDICK
    11:10 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Ballin is a habit. Too bad I am scumbag who makes abortion contracts.

10. KYMASH
    11:14 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Conspicuous consumption, that is all! And screw JJ.

11. JJ REDICK
    11:18 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Matt Jones won’t allow the real story about me because we are both Duke liberals.

12. JJ REDICK
    11:19 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

BTI sucks!

13. You're Better
    11:21 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

Kristen, you’re better than this. You’re a cute girl with a lot of good contributions to this site, but this article is just pointless. I couldn’t care less about JJ Redick’s interests and hobbies. Please, stick to UK stuff, you’re good at it.

14. 44 Stitches
    11:24 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

I don’t care if it’s a Rolex. If it has a leather band that shhh come’s off as cheap in my neck of the woods.

15. Dorks
    11:30 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

While I don’t get the UK angle, the above posts are toxic and typical.
    Chill bro!

Btw, the watch is sweet……..and if u don’t get it, then the jokes on u….#culture

16. Catlogic15
    12:11 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, I still think my Rolex Submariner exudes more class.

17. Cking9698
    12:13 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Mrs.Geil,
    Why post a picture of a Vacheron?

JJ clearly likes Panerai watches…..

Not many KSR readers would realize that your article is discussing watches that cost from $20000 to $2000000. Yes that’s right. Why point out just Reddick?

What about Rondo or Lebrons $125000 Hublot watches?

For those that are in the know….Panerai watches are the finest time instruments in the world.

Rolex is junk…..

18. Will You...
    12:16 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Marry me Kristen Geil? I’ve been madly in love with you ever since your first KSR article.

19. ukfaninohio
    2:45 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Too bad there are too few in the know everybody knows what a rolex is…How a grown man can get so mad at what they perceive to be a pointless article on a friday in july is something i will never know.

20. idontflinch_
    5:34 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Hey now, I too appreciate nice timepieces. Only I think I’m doing good if mine comes from JC Penney!

21. idontflinch_
    5:40 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

You know, I would love to see the income of a guy who says Rolex’s are junk. If he is making enough to afford (and actually has) a watch that is considered to be much, much better than a Rolex I would gladly shake his hand, look him in the eye and tell him congrats on his success. And I would mean every word of it. If not, well, I suppose that would open a Pandora’s Box of questions I would love to have answered.

22. shields eyes
    7:37 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Wow, is this the most interesting article about JJ Redick on the internet this week?

23. ukcats42301
    9:08 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

13) Thank you for being one of the few to use the phrase “couldn’t care less” instead of most people who say “could care less”. Just a little thing that drives me nuts! Haha.

24. Blueswade
    9:24 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

This article about watches is Redick-ulously gay.

25. Kristen Geil's Abs
    9:35 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

If you need me, I’ll be flexin’.

26. TheBigToe
    9:59 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Does that second watch even tell time? Why would anybody buy that thing?

27. KevinM
    10:51 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

19, very suttle with ‘dear’, followed up with the ‘stupid’ card…..

Kristen, obviously, some disagree with you.

28. Megan
    2:12 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

There’s nothing wrong with treating yourself. If you’ve got the money, enjoy it. Otherwise, what’s the point? Almost bought a Vacheron Constantin a few years back. Glad I didn’t. I’m not in love with it anymore.

29. Linda Taylor
    3:56 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

The impostor posting as Linda Taylor is having so much fun today disparaging KSR writers. What’s the matter, you don’t have the courage to post under your own name? Gutless wonder. Let me guess, you are a pimply-faced teenager that can’t get females to pay any attention to you so you spend your time getting your jollies posing as other people on the web. What a wonderful life you live.
    Btw, Kristen you do a great job writing for KSR and childcare is the most fun job in the world. It’s too bad the people who are raising/raised the impostor are doing/did such a poor job raising him. He will probably amount to a big flat zero in his life.

30. Linda Taylor